Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

University MSc in Psychology studuies, can and should I enroll in one?

views

TSlol_banker
post Aug 17 2018, 11:35 AM, updated 6y ago

4 posts

Recently unemployed man in mid-thirties wishes to further studies (postgraduate) in the field of Psychology.

A little bit about me:
1. Owns a decent BSc in Psychology degree with average CGPA
2. 8 years of working experience in banking industry and private companies
3. Do not have working experience in relation to the field of psychology

The following are my doubts:
1. Recommendation of schools that provide opportunities to candidates with my kind of credentials (willing to study online or abroad)
2. Chances of man my age and credentials that successfully venturing into the Psychology field of work (clinical or research or any)

Further sincere comments and recommendations are highly appreciated!

Best Regards,
lol_banker

This post has been edited by lol_banker: Aug 17 2018, 11:36 AM
TBJ
post Aug 17 2018, 11:51 AM

Casual
374 posts

i see help college have different Master in Psychology degrees. please check their homepage
toMochika27
post Aug 17 2018, 10:11 PM

Getting Started
295 posts

QUOTE(lol_banker @ Aug 17 2018, 11:35 AM)
Recently unemployed man in mid-thirties wishes to further studies (postgraduate) in the field of Psychology.
A little bit about me:
1. Owns a decent BSc in Psychology degree with average CGPA
2. 8 years of working experience in banking industry and private companies
3. Do not have working experience in relation to the field of psychology
The following are my doubts:
1. Recommendation of schools that provide opportunities to candidates with my kind of credentials (willing to study online or abroad)
2. Chances of man my age and credentials that successfully venturing into the Psychology field of work (clinical or research or any)
Further sincere comments and recommendations are highly appreciated!
Best Regards,
lol_banker

Hi there! If you are interested in pursuing intervention and therapy work, I would recommend you to take a Master in Counselling Psychology instead. Usually it is conducted in two years time, and you are also able to pursue it part time or full time. Clinical psychology is good, but most of the master programme is usually full time, and your career would be limited to hospital setting. As a counselor, after two years of study, you are able to apply your license with the Malaysian Board of Counsellors. Counselors are able to work in many different setting as well, such as education (university, college), healthcare (hospital, clinic), rehab (drug abuse centre, PWD centre), corporate (as internal EAP provider, usually under HR) and even correctional institute (juvenile and adult prison). The market for counsellors are not as big as other careers of course, but theres few in Jobstreet looking licensed professional counselor. If you are thinking of going back into banking/corporate world after taking your masters, then you could also apply working either as counselor (assuming there's an internal EAP provider in the company) or working under Training and Development. If I'm not mistaken, Maybank have their own EAP counsellor. So, a Master in Counselling Psychology would be versatile enough to allow you to pursue several different industry but also relevant enough to apply them under HR in many private companies.

Many public universities offer this programme. For private, HELP, Monash, and OUM provide this programme. Just FYI, a Master in Counselling Psychology won't allow you to become a counseling teacher in public schools, since counseling teachers are trained with an education degree instead of psychology degree.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0128sec    0.15    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:05 AM