Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Kitchen wall tiles suddenly cracked

views

TSRafaBenites
post Aug 16 2018, 06:08 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
62 posts

Dear fellow forumers, would like to ask if any of guys has encountered this sort incident before?

For our apartment's kitchen, we first put on the white tiles on the wall first. Then the ID contractor installed the kitchen's cabinet. When this was done, we were so happy to see our kitchen begin to resemble what we saw in the design. Then about a week later, the Hood's installer came to install the hood. I wasn't around when he was installing the hood. After he left, I got the shock of my life when i realised that some of the wall tiles above the counter has cracked. Anyone has encounter such issue before?? Really broke my heart seeing nice kitchen wall turn into such a state .

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
SUSslimey
post Aug 16 2018, 06:58 PM

6,914 posts

tiles can crack when hit with force.
could be hood installer fault.

but, a poorly installed tile(sounds empty when you knock it with knuckle or finger) is a major reason for the tiles crack so easily.

then again........what do you plan to do? hack the whole wall? place a aluminum panel in front of it?
TSRafaBenites
post Aug 16 2018, 08:18 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

Don't think I have the heart to break the whole wall. Probably ask the contractor to replace the cracked ones and replace with a new tile. Was told it will not look uniform, but I guess it is better than having cracked tiles right? L
TSRafaBenites
post Aug 16 2018, 09:35 PM

Getting Started
62 posts

Don't think I have the heart to break the whole wall. Probably ask the contractor to replace the cracked ones and replace with a new tile. Was told it will not look uniform, but I guess it is better than having cracked tiles right? Further down the road, when they start collecting dust or dirt, the line will become more obvious 😓
sosobear
post Aug 16 2018, 09:50 PM

Casual
405 posts

QUOTE(RafaBenites @ Aug 16 2018, 09:35 PM)
Don't think I have the heart to break the whole wall. Probably ask the contractor to replace the cracked ones and replace with a new tile. Was told it will not look uniform, but I guess it is better than having cracked tiles right?  Further down the road, when they start collecting dust or dirt, the line will become more obvious 😓
probably have to hack a few tiles out to make it even.
Eleganz Concept
post Aug 16 2018, 11:11 PM

On my way
582 posts

QUOTE(RafaBenites @ Aug 16 2018, 06:08 PM)
Dear fellow forumers, would like to ask if any of guys has encountered this sort incident before?

For our apartment's kitchen, we first put on the white tiles on the wall first. Then the ID contractor installed the kitchen's cabinet. When this was done, we were so happy to see our kitchen begin to resemble what we saw in the design. Then about a week later, the Hood's installer came to install the hood. I wasn't around when he was installing the hood. After he left, I got the shock of my life when i realised that some of the wall tiles above the counter has cracked. Anyone has encounter such issue before?? Really broke my heart seeing nice kitchen wall turn into such a state .
By just looking at the crack tile photo, is seem like the crack place had been feel up with some white cement, If u sure that the tile is not broken at the beginning, then the tile must be broken by some 1 and they feel it up with white cement so that will not look obviously and hopefully not realise by you? I guess..
kimzee
post Aug 17 2018, 04:47 PM

Casual
411 posts

QUOTE(sosobear @ Aug 16 2018, 09:50 PM)
probably have to hack a few tiles out to make it even.
Yes this is the best solution.
Richard
post Aug 18 2018, 09:33 AM

Regular
1,083 posts

Suggest you get another contractor tiler to have a look at it. Visually I would say it's an installation problem with either the base or grout.

TSRafaBenites
post Aug 20 2018, 10:49 AM

Getting Started
62 posts

QUOTE(Richard @ Aug 18 2018, 09:33 AM)
Suggest you get another contractor tiler to have a look at it. Visually I would say it's an installation problem with either the base or grout.

I feel the vibration caused by the drilling of holes while installing the hood is the biggest suspect of the cause for the cracks. I might be wrong tho.. any experts here in construction line?
SUSslimey
post Aug 20 2018, 11:30 AM

6,914 posts

QUOTE(RafaBenites @ Aug 20 2018, 10:49 AM)
I feel the vibration caused by the drilling of holes while installing the hood is the biggest suspect of the cause for the cracks. I might be wrong tho.. any experts here in construction line?
That is obviously not the case

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0107sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:44 AM