Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel Skiers & Snowboarders, Beginner to advanced levels welcome!

views

j05h
post Jan 4 2019, 07:35 PM

Casual
340 posts

QUOTE(Current Events guy @ Jan 4 2019, 07:20 PM)
Ah 2 weekends is doable.

do you do multiple trips per season?
I've done at most two a season, Dec in Europe and then Japan in Feb/March.

And most in a year was thrice, Japan at the start of the year, NZ middle and Europe end.

We have to travel far for snow, so there is a lot of commitment involved. Having to conserve funds and dedicate to this is difficult but necessary. There's always a point in May or June where I really start missing snow, and start dreaming of the next season. So basically all travel is wrapped around trying to get to somewhere snowy. It's not easy, so thats why finding fellow boarders with at least 50 snow days is a rare treat.
Current Events guy
post Jan 4 2019, 10:04 PM

Enthusiast
960 posts

QUOTE(j05h @ Jan 4 2019, 07:35 PM)
I've done at most two a season, Dec in Europe and then Japan in Feb/March.

And most in a year was thrice, Japan at the start of the year, NZ middle and Europe end.

We have to travel far for snow, so there is a lot of commitment involved. Having to conserve funds and dedicate to this is difficult but necessary. There's always a point in May or June where I really start missing snow, and start dreaming of the next season. So basically all travel is wrapped around trying to get to somewhere snowy. It's not easy, so thats why finding fellow boarders with at least 50 snow days is a rare treat.
where else have you been/will you be riding this year?
lh2705
post Jan 5 2019, 11:00 AM

Getting Started
164 posts

Hi,

Cool thread. Good to know that there are other people who also enjoy the sport.

I'm an avid snowboarder, have been going to Japan about once or twice per season since 2015. Why Japan? Shortest/affordable flights, quality snow, food, costs are reasonable (compared to western resorts).

Just got back from Niseko in late Dec and will be in Hakuba from Feb 23 to Mar 4.

I agree it takes quite a bit of commitment to get into the sport as:
1. It's relatively intense on your body so you have to be somewhat fit (especially if you're doing a longer trip, >4 ski days)
2. We have to travel for snow
3. There's additional costs involved for proper gear/clothing

But I think the popularity is increasing, we even have an indoor dry slope now (in Klang Valley) - http://firsttraxx.com/

Anyway, happy to help/advise anyone who is interested in picking up the sport.
j05h
post Jan 6 2019, 02:40 AM

Casual
340 posts

QUOTE(lh2705 @ Jan 5 2019, 11:00 AM)
Hi,

Cool thread. Good to know that there are other people who also enjoy the sport.

I'm an avid snowboarder, have been going to Japan about once or twice per season since 2015. Why Japan? Shortest/affordable flights, quality snow, food, costs are reasonable (compared to western resorts).

Just got back from Niseko in late Dec and will be in Hakuba from Feb 23 to Mar 4.

I agree it takes quite a bit of commitment to get into the sport as:
1. It's relatively intense on your body so you have to be somewhat fit (especially if you're doing a longer trip, >4 ski days)
2. We have to travel for snow
3. There's additional costs involved for proper gear/clothing

But I think the popularity is increasing, we even have an indoor dry slope now (in Klang Valley) - http://firsttraxx.com/

Anyway, happy to help/advise anyone who is interested in picking up the sport.
Awesome, good to see another boarder here.
Tried firstraxx, it's good for beginner skiers but it feels completely different on a board.

So responding to your points:
1) Yup fitness, especially legs, is essential. Recovery after first day used to take a couple of days, but I started doing the P90x plyo section 3 times a week for a month before going, and day after first was very bearable, recovery was really short. Nowadays it's a couple of weeks before going off, and it's a mix of a lot of lower body movement exercises.
2) Yup AA direct to CTS is optimal, although a night in Sapporo is necessary on the way back. Going thru Tokyo puts you in action central with food and sights and snowsports street (great to get asian-fit gear, cos Niseko is marked up, and while Kutchan is cheaper, it can't beat Tokyo esp for variety and stock). Going thru Tokyo also means a domestic flight, which is a pain if carrying a board bag.
3) Here's some hints, more for beginners:
- Decathlon here has their in-house Wed'ze brand which covers quite a bit for budget gear. Snow jackets, pants, base layers, goggles, helmets etc...
- The North Face/Columbia carry snow gear, but it's not cheap.
- Uniqlo heat tech for stocking up on base layers. Can't have enough.
- Asos can ship their in-house 4505 ski gear brand, as well as others like Burton, Quiksilver, adidas, Helly Hansen, Superdry, Volcom, Oakley etc mainly entry to midrange stuff. Free shipping over GBP20. Deliveries can be quick, or damn slow.
- Quiksilver/DC Shoes/Roxy joint sites can ship here from Australia for RM50 or so. Comprehensive list of snow gear. Reasonably quick delivery.
- Snowinn has a heck of a lot of stuff, their website ships from Europe and lists shipping via Poslaju on site for a reasonable amount. Slow Poslaju delivery.
- Mr Porter/Net-A-Porter for some high end stuff, but shipping is free for Mr and the tax is included. Mid-year for good snow sales. Super fast delivery.

If you have a US freight forwarder, then you can latch on to REI, Backcountry, Evo etc, their sales are quite reasonable if you catch them.
Stuff over RM500 gets a tax hit usually.
Other things to watch out for: sizing. Everyone has their own sizing and it's a pain. Snow jackets/pants usually wear slightly larger, but in many cases they're built for a tall and large caucasian frame, so when a website shows a 6'2" model fitting perfectly in a M, there's a strong possibility a regular asian guy who'd normally wear a M will have to size down to S.
Boots of any kind - try before you buy. And if you do commit and buy, your own boots will be a million times better than rental crap. Boots = first commitment step, and do it right, get them properly fitted, and you won't regret. Well, you may regret if you get ski boots then decide boarding is more your thing. But you'd be happy to not lug around 5kg of ski boots instead of super light board boots.
Remember, layers. Base layer, then mids, then outer. Base can and should be changed after each session - uniqlo heat tech is an affordable choice. Mids can be fleece or insulators, depending on conditions, and outer is usually a shell or insulated waterproof with skirts and gaiters. Mix and match, apply or remove depending on conditions.
Also remember - rent a helmet if you don't have one. You never know if you'd need it, but you'd be glad to have one when you do.

Gear is really important for snowsports. Your enjoyment and motivation will be a lot higher in comfortable, correct and well-fitted gear, and since rental is not cheap anywhere, it will only take 2-3 trips to pay back whatever you get. First day out for beginners is really tough, and I've seen people bundled up and struggling and overheating and frustrated in all sorts of incorrect gear, and others who are comfortable looking forward to the next day.

Stay safe on the hill.
TSXyrith
post Jan 15 2019, 05:13 PM

0 posts

WOW! So much happening here since my last post!

I just got back from Hakuba 2 days ago with a story to tell - I just completed 12 jumps in the park!

At first I didn't bother to try out freestyle, as I'm in my late 30s, until one of my teammates (skier), who hurt his spine on the 1st day for a jump (basically waving goodbye for the rest of the season) asked me "why would you pick up snowboarding when you don't jump", "park is part of snowboarders' life" sort of questions a moment before we parted and the tragedy happened. Yes, I refused to join him in the park right away.

I think he is right. I should try out things that are meant for snowboarders (of course skiers do so too). That's not the sole reason why I'd want to do that.

A team of teenage players in the same hotel from Hebei province of China, coming for a monthlong training session for Winter Olympics Beijing 2022, invited me to board their bus heading to Hakuba 47 on my last snowboarding day. As I talked with them and knew them before, I gratefully accepted their offer which took me to the park.

I ended up seeing those teenagers jumping here and there in 180/270/360 or front/back flip. Igniting uncle's heart, this made me feel like trying it - in the 0 degree non-spin way. 8 out of 12 tries actually landed perfectly. The 11th jump made me hurt badly causing me fail to perform the 12th jump. Okay, I'm done for the day.

I wish I were 20 years younger... bye.gif

P/S: Two things put to checklist before I start my freestyle life: upper body protection gears & the ability to switch!
quadcube
post Jan 15 2019, 11:47 PM

Regular
1,771 posts

QUOTE(Xyrith @ Jan 15 2019, 05:13 PM)
WOW! So much happening here since my last post!

I just got back from Hakuba 2 days ago with a story to tell - I just completed 12 jumps in the park!

At first I didn't bother to try out freestyle, as I'm in my late 30s, until one of my teammates (skier), who hurt his spine on the 1st day for a jump (basically waving goodbye for the rest of the season) asked me "why would you pick up snowboarding when you don't jump", "park is part of snowboarders' life" sort of questions a moment before we parted and the tragedy happened. Yes, I refused to join him in the park right away.

I think he is right. I should try out things that are meant for snowboarders (of course skiers do so too). That's not the sole reason why I'd want to do that.

A team of teenage players in the same hotel from Hebei province of China, coming for a monthlong training session for Winter Olympics Beijing 2022, invited me to board their bus heading to Hakuba 47 on my last snowboarding day. As I talked with them and knew them before, I gratefully accepted their offer which took me to the park.

I ended up seeing those teenagers jumping here and there in 180/270/360 or front/back flip. Igniting uncle's heart, this made me feel like trying it - in the 0 degree non-spin way. 8 out of 12 tries actually landed perfectly. The 11th jump made me hurt badly causing me fail to perform the 12th jump. Okay, I'm done for the day.

I wish I were 20 years younger... bye.gif

P/S: Two things put to checklist before I start my freestyle life: upper body protection gears & the ability to switch!
Weww, I’m getting very excited for my first snowboard trip for this year brows.gif going to Hakuba next week, plan to snowboard at Happo one as I tried Hakuba47 last year. How’s the snow there? My place (somewhere near Kanazawa) has not much snow this year sad.gif
TSXyrith
post Jan 16 2019, 03:09 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(quadcube @ Jan 15 2019, 11:47 PM)
Weww, I’m getting very excited for my first snowboard trip for this year brows.gif going to Hakuba next week, plan to snowboard at Happo one as I tried Hakuba47 last year. How’s the snow there? My place (somewhere near Kanazawa) has not much snow this year sad.gif
Too many moguls in Happo-One flex.gif

The snow quality was decent for the past week. Only Tue snowed heavily till Wed's morning and that's it!

This winter is warmer than usual. You can feel it better than me, I bet tongue.gif
deodorant
post Jan 17 2019, 09:32 PM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

QUOTE(j05h @ Jan 6 2019, 02:40 AM)
Boots of any kind - try before you buy. And if you do commit and buy, your own boots will be a million times better than rental crap.

I've been thinking a lot about buying my own boots, but I'm a ski'ier and boots are hella heavy sad.gif

24th Overnight flight to Tokyo for a few days then Myoko Kogen from 29th Jan to 1st Feb. Came across this thread with recommendations on ski shops in Tokyo but ehhhhhhhhhhh ... the weight of the boots is still a huge stumbling block (plus the fact that I only ski once a year ...)

This post has been edited by deodorant: Jan 17 2019, 09:33 PM
TSXyrith
post Jan 19 2019, 09:40 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Jan 17 2019, 09:32 PM)
I've been thinking a lot about buying my own boots, but I'm a ski'ier and boots are hella heavy sad.gif

24th Overnight flight to Tokyo for a few days then Myoko Kogen from 29th Jan to 1st Feb. Came across this thread with recommendations on ski shops in Tokyo but ehhhhhhhhhhh ... the weight of the boots is still a huge stumbling block (plus the fact that I only ski once a year ...)
You probably have got weak legs! Train them up bruce.gif
deodorant
post Jan 19 2019, 11:40 AM

5,691 posts

QUOTE(Xyrith @ Jan 19 2019, 09:40 AM)
You probably have got weak legs! Train them up bruce.gif

Haha I mean heavy in the sense that a pair of boots add like 6-7kg to your luggage weight, not sure if it's worth the extra hassle dragging and lifting that extra weight from here to Japan or wherever for just 1 ski trip a year icon_idea.gif
j05h
post Jan 23 2019, 12:08 PM

Casual
340 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Jan 17 2019, 09:32 PM)

Switch to a board and that solves your prob haha. Ski boot weight is a real problem. I hand carry my board boots sometimes, it’s like a kilo and a bit.

Just got back from Niseko, 10 days there and converted two skiers to riding boards (if you can ski it’s so much easier to switch over). No snow for first few days then a 45cm dump, followed by smaller dumps through the weekend. Really good fun heading out of gates and finding fresh tracks. Brought my board, but took the opportunity to try a few boards from rhythm to see which to get next. Their premium package gives the flexibility of changing however many times you want in that rental period. Also found out that you can buy an all-mountain pass for say a day at Lawson for Y6500, it’s Y7400 I believe at the counter, but the Lawson option gives you a Y1000 lunch voucher so it’s effectively Y5500 for the pass. Useful if you’re hitting Village or Annupuri.

Problem is Niseko is now so ridiculously packed, accom is stupid expensive and lift lines are huge. Restaurants hard to book and way too many beginners clogging some runs. Jan is super peak, personally I’d rather hit early March where there’s less people, prices are lower and take the risk of poorer snow.
wornbook
post Jan 23 2019, 03:13 PM

Casual
370 posts

Skier here. I'm based in Auckland, NZ. Also largely self-taught but I had a beginner's intro lesson in 2003-ish. It's an off and on thing for me as it's not exactly a cheap sport. I go about once a year, for a 2-3 days each time only (though I only managed 1 ski day in 2017). Stuck on the intermediate slopes and can't go beyond that. That's partly cos I spend the first half day each year learning to ski again.

I've only ever skied in NZ. You folks are seriously awesome to travel all around the world like that. First overseas trip for me in early March - heading to Niseko and Cub Med Sahoro.

Will anyone be at Niseko 8-11 March?

deodorant
post Jan 23 2019, 03:13 PM

5,691 posts

QUOTE(j05h @ Jan 23 2019, 12:08 PM)
Problem is Niseko is now so ridiculously packed, accom is stupid expensive and lift lines are huge. Restaurants hard to book and way too many beginners clogging some runs.

Yeah man, those insane prices are why I still haven't gone up north, still sticking to main island. Done nozawa onsen and zao onsen so far before next week's myoko kogen.

QUOTE(wornbook @ Jan 23 2019, 03:13 PM)
I go about once a year, for a 2-3 days each time only (though I only managed 1 ski day in 2017). Stuck on the intermediate slopes and can't go beyond that.

I can relate to that totally! I'm very comfortable on groomed reds, will do moguled reds if I'm feeling daring, but really don't feel up to doing anything more. By the time I've gotten my ski confidence back up by day 3-4 the thigh muscles already on the verge of giving up 🤣

Since I'm also completely self taught I figure maybe it's a technique problem, so next week I'm biting the bullet and going for 4x 1/2-day small group lessons, hope that helps ...

This post has been edited by deodorant: Jan 23 2019, 03:17 PM
wornbook
post Jan 23 2019, 04:07 PM

Casual
370 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Jan 23 2019, 03:13 PM)
I can relate to that totally! I'm very comfortable on groomed reds, will do moguled reds if I'm feeling daring, but really don't feel up to doing anything more. By the time I've gotten my ski confidence back up by day 3-4 the thigh muscles already on the verge of giving up 🤣

Since I'm also completely self taught I figure maybe it's a technique problem, so next week I'm biting the bullet and going for 4x 1/2-day small group lessons, hope that helps ...
I'm 100% sure mine is a technique problem. I watch those pro looking folks turning so effortlessly whereas it feels like I need to expand an extraordinary amount of energy.

AT least you have made it to the red slopes. I'm still stuck on blue. Maybe this year will be the year I finally make progress. (but I say that every year tongue.gif)

j05h
post Jan 24 2019, 02:18 PM

Casual
340 posts

Skier here. I'm based in Auckland, NZ. Also largely self-taught but I had a beginner's intro lesson in 2003-ish. It's an off and on thing for me as it's not exactly a cheap sport. I go about once a year, for a 2-3 days each time only (though I only managed 1 ski day in 2017). Stuck on the intermediate slopes and can't go beyond that. That's partly cos I spend the first half day each year learning to ski again.

I've only ever skied in NZ. You folks are seriously awesome to travel all around the world like that. First overseas trip for me in early March - heading to Niseko and Cub Med Sahoro.

An Aussie guy I was with in Niseko last week, he hasn't seen pow like that before, and he was absolutely stunned. I think you'd like the volume and quality of snow smile.gif
Also being able to do night runs on empty slopes is great - NZ/EU/elsewhere closes at 4-5ish, Niseko night runs last tel 8:30pm so it's 12.5 hours of slope time a day.

First couple of years I did short trips, 4-5 days. Realised quickly that skill level will plateau with such trips - it takes 3-4 days to condition your legs, recover mostly from DOMS and get in the groove. I decided that I wanted to take this up seriously, and the only way to do that is to have at least 10 days straight of solid mountain time, hitting runs every day throughout the day. I did this a few years back, no instructor but just doing runs all day for a week and a half, and after the first 5 days, I felt the push and very rapidly got better. I did this in the Swiss alps - not cheap, it was a real commitment, but it's also not natural snowboard territory, so I had to fill up weak points real fast, such as riding (long!) cat tracks, flat boarding, T-bars and carving in quite sunny and cold (icy!) conditions, as well as keeping with skiers. By the end of the trip I was significantly more comfortable and confident on a board, I was sure I could take on any slope and had developed the muscle memory to hit the ground running on the trips after. Did pick up a few bad habits that required some instruction to erase, but I'm a lot happier with what I can do now.

It's a huge cost implication to do this of course, especially for us in the tropics, and it definitely isn't for everyone. This is just something I went through that really propelled me forward, and I thought I'd share.
TSXyrith
post Jan 25 2019, 03:30 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(j05h @ Jan 23 2019, 12:08 PM)
Problem is Niseko is now so ridiculously packed, accom is stupid expensive and lift lines are huge. Restaurants hard to book and way too many beginners clogging some runs. Jan is super peak, personally I’d rather hit early March where there’s less people, prices are lower and take the risk of poorer snow.
We gotta book accommodation at least 6 months earlier to get good bargain~ I booked a unit with 4 bedrooms accommodating up to 9 for 7 nights for MYR28k (30% off in August and still considered late booking), averaging MYR444 each per night. The accommodation standard is very high, video here:

I agree that the prices in Niseko are way too high. 2,000+ yen for a Tempura Don, what blink.gif ?

That's why I'm spending more than 10+ snowboarding days with the same board, my board, every year to keep up the skills brows.gif

Too bad I'll leave on 3 March from Niseko bye.gif

This post has been edited by Xyrith: Jan 25 2019, 03:46 PM
j05h
post Jan 25 2019, 05:44 PM

Casual
340 posts

QUOTE(Xyrith @ Jan 25 2019, 03:30 PM)
We gotta book accommodation at least 6 months earlier to get good bargain~ I booked a unit with 4 bedrooms accommodating up to 9 for 7 nights for MYR28k (30% off in August and still considered late booking), averaging MYR444 each per night. The accommodation standard is very high, video here:

I agree that the prices in Niseko are way too high. 2,000+ yen for a Tempura Don, what blink.gif ?
That's why I'm spending more than 10+ snowboarding days with the same board, my board, every year to keep up the skills brows.gif

Too bad I'll leave on 3 March from Niseko bye.gif
That house is not bad. I see Vale and AYA so I think I know which one it is, behind Senchou 1 yeah. Good location, not too far down Middle Hirafu. Might keep this one in mind for the future thumbup.gif

Also I dunno where you get a 2k tempura don from, but I hope its good haha. Most of the stuff lunch-wise is under 2k, except 308's king crab ramen which is more, but also quite generous. Ace Hill/King Bell/Nook katsu curries are like 1.2k, ramens aren't that far off... Dinner stuff is the wallet killer. We usually hit Coop or Lucky in Kutchan, or the supermarket in Yoichi during our Nikka run to stock up on all sorts of makan, and do a few home cooked dins. But funds allow, there are some good places in and about Hirafu, like Rakuichi for one. Otherwise, we drop by Kutchan a bit for din, cos it's cheaper and better there.
wornbook
post Jan 28 2019, 07:54 AM

Casual
370 posts

QUOTE(Tucker Crowe @ Jan 24 2019, 03:51 PM)
I'll be in Niseko 12-15 March  biggrin.gif

Staying at Annupuri, cause I heard that in March the snow is better at Annupuri as because it is facing the west, it is only getting the evening sun. Thus, less sludgy stuff like its neighbours.
Looks like we will just miss each other. smile.gif

I'm staying at Kutchan. Accommodation is so expensive I didn't really have many options. Will just have to see how things go.

Are you doing anything else in Japan or just hitting the slopes?

wornbook
post Jan 28 2019, 07:58 AM

Casual
370 posts

QUOTE(j05h @ Jan 24 2019, 02:18 PM)
An Aussie guy I was with in Niseko last week, he hasn't seen pow like that before, and he was absolutely stunned. I think you'd like the volume and quality of snow smile.gif
Also being able to do night runs on empty slopes is great - NZ/EU/elsewhere closes at 4-5ish, Niseko night runs last tel 8:30pm so it's 12.5 hours of slope time a day.

First couple of years I did short trips, 4-5 days. Realised quickly that skill level will plateau with such trips - it takes 3-4 days to condition your legs, recover mostly from DOMS and get in the groove. I decided that I wanted to take this up seriously, and the only way to do that is to have at least 10 days straight of solid mountain time, hitting runs every day throughout the day. I did this a few years back, no instructor but just doing runs all day for a week and a half, and after the first 5 days, I felt the push and very rapidly got better. I did this in the Swiss alps - not cheap, it was a real commitment, but it's also not natural snowboard territory, so I had to fill up weak points real fast, such as riding (long!) cat tracks, flat boarding, T-bars and carving in quite sunny and cold (icy!) conditions, as well as keeping with skiers. By the end of the trip I was significantly more comfortable and confident on a board, I was sure I could take on any slope and had developed the muscle memory to hit the ground running on the trips after. Did pick up a few bad habits that required some instruction to erase, but I'm a lot happier with what I can do now.

It's a huge cost implication to do this of course, especially for us in the tropics, and it definitely isn't for everyone. This is just something I went through that really propelled me forward, and I thought I'd share.
I've heard plenty about the quality of snow in Niseko, so really looking forward to it. smile.gif

Totally agree that time on the slopes is necessary to improve. 2-3 days at a time that I normally do definitely isn't enough. This will be my longest trip yet in terms of number of snow days so fingers crossed I'll finally see an improvement.

Don't think I'll ever pay for lessons in NZ. They're like $150 an hour. It's all trial and error for me.
wornbook
post Jan 28 2019, 10:31 AM

Casual
370 posts

QUOTE(Tucker Crowe @ Jan 28 2019, 10:02 AM)
I compared the prices for accommodation, I decided to go in March because it's almost 40% cheaper.

First time in Hokkaido, so I'll spend some days in Sapporo & Otaru.
Same - that's why I'm going in March as well. I'm doing Sapporo, Otaru and Noboribetsu too. Haven't decided whether to make the trek out to Hakodate. Might be a bit rushed.

6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.32    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:04 PM