Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How can I learn Bahasa Malay?, I want to learn Bahasa Malay

views

TScoldblood666
post Aug 13 2018, 11:54 AM, updated 6y ago

16 posts

Hello/Assalam-o-Alaikum! smile.gif

Can you guys help me with few questions?

1) How can I learn Bahasa Malay? Hire someone or join an academy?
2) How long does it take to learn Bahasa Malay usually?
3) How much will it cost me?

Thank you in advance. thumbup.gif

Just Visiting By
post Aug 13 2018, 12:40 PM

Regular
1,828 posts

QUOTE(coldblood666 @ Aug 13 2018, 11:54 AM)
Hello/Assalam-o-Alaikum! smile.gif

Can you guys help me with few questions?

1) How can I learn Bahasa Malay? Hire someone or join an academy?
2) How long does it take to learn Bahasa Malay usually?
3) How much will it cost me?
Thank you in advance.  thumbup.gif
Hi. First of all, it's Bahasa Melayu, or Bahasa Malaysia, not Bahasa Malay.

Second, while I personally recommend you to join a tuition class/academy, unfortunately I cannot recommend any because I do not know whether any academy offers this class. However, I've been told academy/tuition class is very helpful to people who are learning a second or third language, according to my friends who are learning Korean/Japanese languages.

Depends on what your first language is, Malay can be tough or relatively easy. It's relatively different from English and Chinese, but if your first language is English, it shouldn't be hard to pick up, because there are less grammar rules to follow. If your first language is Chinese, there can be some difficulties as Chinese has virtually no grammars but Malay, being an agglutinative language, can be hard to master for Chinese speakers.
Eurobeater
post Aug 14 2018, 12:14 AM

Kancil Dorifto!
1,184 posts

Quickest way to learn any language is to probably speak it with frequently with another person. The more you use it, although hard, the easier it will be to familiarise yourself with the language over time.

In general, tuition is something I only recommend if you are striving to meet entry level requirements of say, university courses. But if it is general conversations, just find someone who can converse with you in Malay and you can pick up the language in no time.
TScoldblood666
post Aug 14 2018, 11:39 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(Just Visiting By @ Aug 13 2018, 12:40 PM)
Hi. First of all, it's Bahasa Melayu, or Bahasa Malaysia, not Bahasa Malay.

Second, while I personally recommend you to join a tuition class/academy, unfortunately I cannot recommend any because I do not know whether any academy offers this class. However, I've been told academy/tuition class is very helpful to people who are learning a second or third language, according to my friends who are learning Korean/Japanese languages.

Depends on what your first language is, Malay can be tough or relatively easy. It's relatively different from English and Chinese, but if your first language is English, it shouldn't be hard to pick up, because there are less grammar rules to follow. If your first language is Chinese, there can be some difficulties as Chinese has virtually no grammars but Malay, being an agglutinative language, can be hard to master for Chinese speakers.
Thank you for the correction. Humbly noted.
My first language is Urdu but we mostly speak English in everyday life. So, I guess it shouldn't be hard to pick up the language. Thank you for your input btw. Highly appreciated.

TScoldblood666
post Aug 14 2018, 11:44 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(Eurobeater @ Aug 14 2018, 12:14 AM)
Quickest way to learn any language is to probably speak it with frequently with another person. The more you use it, although hard, the easier it will be to familiarise yourself with the language over time.

In general, tuition is something I only recommend if you are striving to meet entry level requirements of say, university courses. But if it is general conversations, just find someone who can converse with you in Malay and you can pick up the language in no time.
That is correct to some level. The problem is I cant communicate and practice if I don't know a single word of the new language. smile.gif I would actually need a tutor to learn the basic words to converse, learn grammar etc. I am not disagreeing with you, you are completly right but that'd be my second step. smile.gif
internaldisputes
post Aug 14 2018, 01:55 PM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

Are in Malaysia right now? Why do you want to learn BM? Your English is good so should be able to converse in BM quickly since there is a lot of loan words coming from English. The language does not have complex grammar too.
TScoldblood666
post Aug 15 2018, 12:15 PM

16 posts

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Aug 14 2018, 01:55 PM)
Are in Malaysia right now? Why do you want to learn BM? Your English is good so should be able to converse in BM quickly since there is a lot of loan words coming from English. The language does not have complex grammar too.
Yup, I have been living in Malaysia on and off for past 5 years but never felt the urge to learn the language until now. Planning to set up a new business here and I think it will help me a lot if I learn the local language before hand.
xenonarc99
post Aug 15 2018, 05:23 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

QUOTE(coldblood666 @ Aug 15 2018, 12:15 PM)
Yup, I have been living in Malaysia on and off for past 5 years but never felt the urge to learn the language until now. Planning to set up a new business here and I think it will help me a lot if I learn the local language before hand.
Hello.. If you're just learning for your business, normal conversations with locals will suffice. I dont think you should attend classes.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0127sec    0.26    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:14 AM