Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Official Google Pixel 3 Discussion V1, Google Pixel 3a / 3a XL / 3 / 3 XL

views

davidletterboyz
post Aug 11 2018, 05:42 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

4GB RAM? I think can pass this gen la. 4GB doesn't cut it anymore.
davidletterboyz
post Aug 12 2018, 12:15 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(Someonesim @ Aug 11 2018, 11:54 PM)
Memory management are more important. It's easy to see how many of those 6GB RAM phones from ehem manufacturers unable to keep apps in background  cool2.gif
That's true. But 4GB, no matter how good the OS can manage, it is still maxed out at 4GB minus the OS usage. Unless memory compression is used (like MacOS) which I doubt so.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 9 2018, 12:01 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Oct 8 2018, 12:01 AM)
1) Vanilla Android/Smooth UI/Fast updates
2) Best in class camera & selfie camera
3) IP68 rated
4) Front facing stereo speakers

No other phone offers all 4 of the above so yeah IMHO worth it!
I would rather get a phone with 6GB RAM but sacrifies with slightly slower update. 4GB is hardly enough nowadays.

QUOTE(Someonesim @ Oct 8 2018, 12:04 PM)
Price only good when it's at US, Google only think of US market, usually US telco compensate phone price with 2 years contract sign/renew, easily 200 USD off and mostly got financial plan. No brainer for anyone at US to get flagship phone, because affordable.
When come here, RM4K for AP set  laugh.gif  unless wait half year or more for price to drop.
Some flagship phones got 1) 3) and even 4) but IMHO Pixel's camera performance are most attractive and top notch ( no pun intended  tongue.gif  ), I still love my OG Pixel XL's camera  wub.gif
Hopefully Pixel 3 series improved the lens quality. Actually it's the app which is strong. The Pixel 2 lens is inferior compared to other flagships.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 10 2018, 02:39 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Oct 10 2018, 11:15 AM)
Also, for Pixel 2 64GB owners, is 64GB really enough or the 128GB is recommended for 2-3 years of usage?

I don't store music or videos in my phone as everything is on the cloud i.e: Google photos, and I don't play any games.

Mostly web browsing and taking a lot of pictures/video which is synced to the cloud, which I can delete it off the device later  on

How much space does Google take up out of that 64GB?
I'll be more concern about the 4GB RAM than storage. sweat.gif
davidletterboyz
post Oct 10 2018, 08:34 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(komandermaut @ Oct 10 2018, 04:32 PM)
i feel the same too. was sooo looking fwd for pixel 3xl but this 4gb ram concerns me. not sure if it is enough for at least 2 yrs. as for storage, i would go for 128gb.
Even now is also barely enough. Don't say two years down the Road.

QUOTE(squareballs @ Oct 10 2018, 05:41 PM)
i wonder why everyone is so worried about 4gb ram. 4gb ram will lag/hang?
Apps getting bigger. It will reach a point where no matter how you optimise it won't be sufficient. The only way to delay that from happening is memory compression which Android does not have.

QUOTE(Someonesim @ Oct 10 2018, 07:14 PM)
I dont have issue at all for my Pixel XL 4GB RAM. I still hold my believe in Google, if their flagship cap at 4GB, their OS should be well optimized for 4GB RAM.

More RAM doesnt means faster/smoother, some of those 6GB/8GB RAM phone if memory management no good or over-aggressive, 16GB also no useĀ  laugh.gif
Yes more RAM doesn't necessarily guarantee better experience but a smaller RAM will hit the limit sooner when the apps size getting bigger.

Those phones with big RAM but not so optimised OS could be potentially patched (or just buy phones like OnePlus which is near to stock Android but has wayyyyyy more RAM) while the Pixel is stuck at 4GB. There's a limit of how much one can optimise the memory.

It's akin to a thrifty RM4k salaryman vs a wasteful RM6k salaryman. But when you have a thrifty RM6k salaryman, it is still better than the RM4k dude. And when the bills getting more expensive, even the most thrifty person will not be able to cope it at one point. And the RM4k dude will be affected first.

Watch this: https://youtu.be/5_5zZnuB71w

This post has been edited by davidletterboyz: Oct 10 2018, 08:37 PM
davidletterboyz
post Oct 11 2018, 12:28 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(Someonesim @ Oct 10 2018, 09:36 PM)
Tried friend's OP6, faster but not smoother. My old Pixel XL ( 1st gen  sad.gif  ) are smoother but not faster ( apps launch, execution etc ).
Was ready to jump to OP6T but the last minute info about removal of headphone jack, killed my desire.
Now on poco f1, love battery life ( 7-9 hours SOT ) but not user experience.

Not sure if you use or live with Pixel series before or not, it's not something you will love with 5 minutes play. The consistency, smoothness and lack of surprise ( rarely app force close unless rubbish apps like m2u  laugh.gif  ) just not the same.
From what you typed, I assumed by "smooth", you mean consistent animation FPS?

I've never get force close with my OP5T.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 11 2018, 11:03 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(tahfeikei @ Oct 11 2018, 09:41 AM)
ayam confused.....you are considering P3 vs OP6T  or P2XL vs OP6T?

if you can afford P3, then get P3....no need to think. camera of P3 sure will beat OP6T.
Yes but does it beat OP6T's camera by ~RM1k? Especially OP6T also will be able to use Gcam app, just a matter of time. The difference is not as big as the price suggests. That's the issue.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 11 2018, 11:53 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(tahfeikei @ Oct 11 2018, 11:06 AM)
we won't know until Oct 30 or later  console.gif
Having said that, I like Pixel 3's size. With the exception of Nokia 8 Sirocco (did not make it here) and Pixel 2 (big bezel though), Android did not have any flagship phone that has similar size as the iPhone X. Personally I prefer that size.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 11 2018, 03:10 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(zerohunter @ Oct 11 2018, 12:41 PM)
I think by 11 / 11 t&l will have them on sales already. Can get cheaper by coupon as well.
Someone in Pixel 2 thread reported that T&L only honors warranty to the original buyer. I think this is illegal because it was not mentioned at all in their sale page. Think twice before buying from T&L.

QUOTE(chriscym @ Oct 11 2018, 02:47 PM)
I see thanks. I wonder how much difference is FHD+ vs QHD+ afterall the screen is small, maybe can't notice the difference. I have the pixel 2xl screen resolution looks good to me, perhaps changing to Pixel 3 is more like a downgrade
I think you will likely notice the improvement in colour and contrast than the drop in ppi. The Pixel 3 still has 459 ppi anyway. More than enough.

This post has been edited by davidletterboyz: Oct 11 2018, 03:11 PM
davidletterboyz
post Oct 11 2018, 04:10 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(nsg86 @ Oct 11 2018, 03:38 PM)
Ouch. I guess they expect everyone to use Always On Display.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 15 2018, 11:15 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Oct 15 2018, 10:33 PM)
I'm waiting till tomorrow USA time for all the full reviews to flow in as the reviewers were told not to release full reviews of the phone until 16 Oct - can't remember the exact date though.
Those reviews are all pre-scripted, per Google's review guideline. You will find all of them are similar, because they received the same info. doh.gif
davidletterboyz
post Oct 16 2018, 03:28 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(jaspreettttt @ Oct 16 2018, 03:27 PM)
Got. Plug in iPhone to pixel using the usb otg adapter. Will copy everything except imsg
And WhatsApp backup.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 16 2018, 03:37 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(jsc_tidus @ Oct 16 2018, 03:29 PM)
oh even the whatsapp? i thought whatsapp cant be transfer from different OS
My sentence shall continue from yours. tongue.gif
"Will copy everything except imsg and WhatsApp backup.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 16 2018, 06:19 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(Someonesim @ Oct 16 2018, 04:47 PM)
I dont have details, but my friend talked about this before, difficult and paid apps involved.
I guess need walk in sintel physical store.
It's possible. But need to use a computer, and paid software. Did that when I temporarily switched to iOS. But switched back to Android after three weeks. doh.gif
davidletterboyz
post Oct 17 2018, 09:32 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(10071985 @ Oct 17 2018, 08:45 AM)
tried both pixel 3 and pixel 3 XL.
The screen is much better compared to pixel 2 / pixel 2 XL.
And yeah.. the notch is hideous even in real life.
A lot better than the Pixel 2? Pixel 2 AMOLED wasn't bad at all, at least better than the 2 XL.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 17 2018, 09:37 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(jmas @ Oct 17 2018, 09:35 AM)
I mean what if you use the same google account for other phone, eg, S9?
News just out yesterday, Pixel 3 using same screen as Samsung S9
And we came to the realization how far the Pixel 2 XL;s P-OLED screen was behind the Samsung lol.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 17 2018, 10:15 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(jmas @ Oct 17 2018, 09:43 AM)
Samsung's screen is always the best in mobile phone market.
And they normally always sell their flagship using the best available and only sell the previous gen to other manufacturer.
Yup. So it's quite surprising they sold it to Google too.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 18 2018, 11:41 AM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(Kagekiyo @ Oct 18 2018, 11:26 AM)
I still believe that the LED notification light has practical reasons to stay. As to why engineers decide to omit it, its anyone's wild guess.

For instance, for privacy concerns some folks may not like the idea of having the Always on Display (AOD) displaying all their incoming and pending notifications visible by others to glance/see.

The other reason will be from battery consumption stand point, i don't have hard statistics to objectively weigh how much a LED notification light vs a AOD battery consumption will be but using an educated guess i will assume that the LED notification light will consume less.
Actually they can update the AOD to optionally display only a dot of LED on the screen. Different colour for different apps, up to the user preference. Afterall, an OLED display is essentially made of LED lol.
davidletterboyz
post Oct 18 2018, 09:37 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Oct 18 2018, 09:23 PM)
Having a bit of a dilemma here:

Initial plan is to get a Pixel 3 right now and use it for 3-4 years but ...

Stopped reading after that sentence. tongue.gif You know it's not possible for Android to last that long and you are able to hold off from upgrading. I would rather buy three budget flagship killers (like Pocofone) or two mid budget flagship killers (OnePlus, Mi series etc) than one Pixel and hold it for 4 years. Impossible to beat the experience of newer phone after two years. Just look at Pixel 1 now. Nobody is buying even used one.

BTW, what's wrong with your OnePlus 3? My friend's OP3 is still doing fine. Battery is good but he does not install FB and Messenger.

BTW Oxygen is considered lightweight and 95% like stock Android. You are only 2 years into your 4-year upgrade cycle...
davidletterboyz
post Oct 18 2018, 11:49 PM

Der Kaiser
4,671 posts

QUOTE(-kytz- @ Oct 18 2018, 11:17 PM)
Okay, maybe I want the Pixel to last me till the end of it's 3 year life cycle.

I take photography seriously, so naturally I'd lean towards the Pixel devices biggrin.gif

Battery life of my OPO3 is bad, I got it second hand though. I believe it's because I keep letting it drain till 0% and keep charging till 100% all the time. Also, I always use the phone for car navigation under the hot sun.
I forgot about the other option of waiting till the Pixel 3 XL price drops tongue.gif which I dunno will take how many months laugh.gif
I would take Huawei P20 Pro and use manual mode if I were serious about photography. I like Leica's colour rendition.

Pixel's Gcam exposure and HDR is great. But if u pixel peep, P20 Pro is better, provided the settings are correct. Having said that, photography is an art. Most of the artistic pics I like, have blown out exposure. So, HDR is not the answer for every situation.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0641sec    0.43    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:26 PM