Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Recommendations 4K HDR TV, For Gaming

views

SSJBen
post Aug 20 2018, 04:33 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(nickywan123 @ Aug 20 2018, 01:32 AM)
Haha I think i will still stick with it, one of the users told me there's no issue with the audio so it's all good. Scared me good for a while.
I've never came across a display in all my years where there is an audio "issue" if using direct connections. If you're talking about ARC, yes then you may get drop outs or the damn thing simply doesn't work. ARC is a bitch and that's the way it is, don't use it if you can.
anfieldude
post Aug 20 2018, 04:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,847 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Aug 20 2018, 04:33 PM)
I've never came across a display in all my years where there is an audio "issue" if using direct connections. If you're talking about ARC, yes then you may get drop outs or the damn thing simply doesn't work. ARC is a bitch and that's the way it is, don't use it if you can.
I could not hv said it better .. ARC is solid pain in the behind.
TSnickywan123
post Aug 20 2018, 06:21 PM

Casual
353 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Aug 20 2018, 04:33 PM)
What is ARC in plain english? My knowledge on these is not good.
SSJBen
post Aug 20 2018, 06:46 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(nickywan123 @ Aug 20 2018, 06:21 PM)
What is ARC in plain english? My knowledge on these is not good.
It stands for Audio Return Channel.

A picture to illustrate what it does:

user posted image

Most people would buy a display and a soundbar. Unfortunately, a soundbar usually only have 1 or 2 HDMI inputs (some has more but they are rare). The idea is that you can connect all your sources to your TV and then use ONE HDMI cable to connect to your soundbar for audio, in theory this makes it clean and simple.

The problem? ARC is a bitch because it will have PMS more than once a month (like everyday if you aren't lucky) and the audio portion doesn't work or the video gets cut out because the HDCP handshake fails to initialize or something else entirely obscure.

This is why many people would use a separate optical cable to connect to their soundbar. One extra cable, no biggie right? Well... it is if you care about lossless audio formats like DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, the latest Atmos fad where soundbars are pushing like its gospel or something. Optical only has bandwidth to carry lossless PCM 2.0 or lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. So you lose out on sound quality (another topic whether you can even hear the difference with soundbars).
If you buy like those fancy Atmos soundbar - you're basically screwed if ARC decides to have a PMS today or you don't have enough HDMI ports (and you have to keep switching them out which greatly increases the risk of damaging a HDMI port because they are very flimsy).
Alias
post Aug 20 2018, 07:09 PM

Getting Started
247 posts

I can vouch for the PMS thing. Happens to me twice since I change to the "supported" hdmi cable. But once it works, it works..there is no cut off during playback, etc etc. Happens only when you turn on the tv, and obviously the tv will turn on the avr.

TSnickywan123
post Aug 20 2018, 10:16 PM

Casual
353 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Aug 20 2018, 06:46 PM)
It stands for Audio Return Channel.

A picture to illustrate what it does:

user posted image
Most people would buy a display and a soundbar. Unfortunately, a soundbar usually only have 1 or 2 HDMI inputs (some has more but they are rare). The idea is that you can connect all your sources to your TV and then use ONE HDMI cable to connect to your soundbar for audio, in theory this makes it clean and simple.

The problem? ARC is a bitch because it will have PMS more than once a month (like everyday if you aren't lucky) and the audio portion doesn't work or the video gets cut out because the HDCP handshake fails to initialize or something else entirely obscure.

This is why many people would use a separate optical cable to connect to their soundbar. One extra cable, no biggie right? Well... it is if you care about lossless audio formats like DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD, the latest Atmos fad where soundbars are pushing like its gospel or something. Optical only has bandwidth to carry lossless PCM 2.0 or lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS. So you lose out on sound quality (another topic whether you can even hear the difference with soundbars).
If you buy like those fancy Atmos soundbar - you're basically screwed if ARC decides to have a PMS today or you don't have enough HDMI ports (and you have to keep switching them out which greatly increases the risk of damaging a HDMI port because they are very flimsy).
What happens if you try to use the HDMI cable to connect a ps4 to the tv via the ARC port?
SSJBen
post Aug 20 2018, 10:45 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(nickywan123 @ Aug 20 2018, 10:16 PM)
What happens if you try to use the HDMI cable to connect a ps4 to the tv via the ARC port?
You pray ARC will work like I've already explained.

When it works, it works.
greyshadow
post Aug 20 2018, 10:49 PM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

Thanks to ARC, my soundbar is currently disconnected & collecting dust
it really has very bad PMS mood! doh.gif
Xaser_3
post Aug 21 2018, 08:46 AM

Because I Fly, I envy no man on earth...
All Stars
10,456 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Aug 20 2018, 10:49 PM)
Thanks to ARC, my soundbar is currently disconnected & collecting dust
it really has very bad PMS mood! doh.gif
That sounds really bad 🤤😅
TSnickywan123
post Aug 26 2018, 11:31 PM

Casual
353 posts

Just setup my c8. It looks really good especially the picture quality.
Just curious, when I use the youtube app to watch videos in 1080p, the motion doesn't seem smooth and picture look dull. Is this normal or my settings?
Convael
post Aug 26 2018, 11:54 PM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(nickywan123 @ Aug 26 2018, 11:31 PM)
Just curious, when I use the youtube app to watch videos in 1080p, the motion doesn't seem smooth and picture look dull. Is this normal or my settings?
Just remember , the OLED pixels have near instant response time .
While this is good for action scenes since fast moving objects will leave very little to no blurry trails behind , this will cause pictures to appear stutter from time to time .
Each individual have different endurance with this . If you find the stutter too obvious , turning on the motion interpolation should help a lot.

Also remember youtube videos have lower bitrates and highly compressed , don't expect the pictures to look as good as true 4k playbacks .

This post has been edited by Convael: Aug 27 2018, 10:01 AM
TSnickywan123
post Aug 27 2018, 12:02 AM

Casual
353 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Aug 26 2018, 11:54 PM)
Just remember , the OLED pixels have near instant response time .
While this is good for action scenes since fast moving objects will leave very little to no blurry trails behind , this will cause pictures to appear stutter from time to time . 
Each individual have different endurance with this . If you find the stutter too obvious , turning on the motion interpolation should help a lot.

Also remember  youtube videos have lower bitrates and highly compressed , don't expect the pictures to look as good as true 4k playbacks .
I think the stutter is very obvious for everyone since it's has a great stutter delay.
Is it because it's video?
Convael
post Aug 27 2018, 12:06 AM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(nickywan123 @ Aug 27 2018, 12:02 AM)
I think the stutter is very obvious for everyone since it's has a great stutter delay.
Is it because it's video?
Like I said if it is too noticeable for you , turn on the motion interpolation .

The stutter is only especially obvious for low frame rate videos , because it allows a single frame to stay on a screen longer.
This is also why the motion interpolation options will usually fix this problem .

High frame rate video source shouldn't having this issue .

This post has been edited by Convael: Aug 27 2018, 12:13 AM
TSnickywan123
post Aug 27 2018, 01:21 AM

Casual
353 posts

QUOTE(Convael @ Aug 27 2018, 12:06 AM)
Like I said if it is too noticeable for you , turn on the motion interpolation .
The stutter is only especially obvious for low frame rate videos , because it allows a single frame to stay on a screen longer.
This is also why the motion interpolation options will usually fix this problem .

High frame rate video source shouldn't having this issue .
I see. So if you’re playing a high frame rate video source like games , turning on motion interPolation makes it worse right ? Correct me if I’m wrong .

Also , is motion interPolation same as true motion ?
Convael
post Aug 27 2018, 07:55 AM

Regular
1,069 posts

QUOTE(nickywan123 @ Aug 27 2018, 01:21 AM)
I see. So if you’re playing a high frame rate video source like games , turning on motion interPolation makes it worse right ? Correct me if I’m wrong .

Also , is motion interPolation same as true motion ?
I have answered this from your pm , check it .
Xaser_3
post Aug 27 2018, 09:37 AM

Because I Fly, I envy no man on earth...
All Stars
10,456 posts

QUOTE(nickywan123 @ Aug 26 2018, 11:31 PM)
Awesome Bro! Do share and give some reviews on 4k gaming and 4k/X265 media play back if possible. Cheers!
toytoy
post Aug 31 2018, 08:18 AM

Enthusiast
871 posts

QUOTE(SSJBen @ Aug 20 2018, 10:45 PM)
You pray ARC will work like I've already explained.

When it works, it works.
Tried arc with my new Samsung TV for few hours and tried all suggestions I could find online but didn't work. There were complaints all around internet about how arc problem with Samsung.

Purposely went out to buy an optical cable.

The next day switch on my TV and miraculously TV detected the sound system. All of a sudden arc is working.

FML.

AKUJEFF
post Oct 17 2018, 05:01 PM

Getting Started
60 posts

Dear All , anyone here have experience with Panasonic 55 4K UHD Smart TV Model 55FX600K? Aeon are selling it for RM 3299. i'm planning to buy it to play with PS4 PRO therefore i need some advice.
Skylinestar
post Oct 17 2018, 08:48 PM

Mega Duck
All Stars
10,092 posts

Anyone here use Haier or Hisense? Hows the upscale quality? Wanna buy this for DVB-T2 terrestrial tv only. Mom watches RTM2 (TV2), NTV7 and 8TV. Upscale engine is important for me.

This post has been edited by Skylinestar: Oct 17 2018, 08:49 PM
honamd77
post Aug 4 2019, 07:47 PM

Enjoy Your Life Before You Die
1,008 posts

Good evening. Sorry if wrong thread, I got one problem with my current tv. My tv is Sony android tv, model number is KD-55X7000D. Firmware version, PKG6.6520.0252PAA. Bought middle year 2016, warranty finish.

The problem is, sometime cannot on. Not only after switch off, from standby mode also cannot. Try google but still blur what happen. When I realize this, around two weeks a go.

Just now finish soft reset and not yet switch off. Scared of happen again.

Thank you.

9 Pages « < 7 8 9Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.45    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:41 PM