Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

8bitdo SF30 Pro - User Review

views

TSyangkuo
post Aug 5 2018, 11:08 AM, updated 4y ago

Getting Started
89 posts

user posted image

this review is based on usage ONLY with the Nintendo Switch.
the controller can also be used with Windows/Mac/Android/Raspberry Pi.

there is an alternate version called SN30 Pro. It has the indigo Super Nintendo design along with concave X and Y buttons.

##look-and-feel
— color tone of controller is darker than on box art or what is seen in online published media
— lightweight
— “noisy” click-clack face buttons (plastic-ky)
— START/SELECT buttons are soft “mushy” texture
— shoulder trigger button's shape and size well designed
L/R is thinner than L2/R2 buttons, placed horizontally at the top of the controller and has the "click type" response
L2/R2 has “springy” feedback but requires almost no pressure to de-press. (great for platformer/metroidvania but feel less satisfying for say 3D shooters)
— D-Pad too rigid for swift rolling direction movement (but analog sticks work well even for 2D games). one advantage is it's sturdy .. maybe a bit too sturdy

##function
— 2 or 3 hrs to fully charge
— 15 hrs of usage (vibration function mostly OFF). the console will NOT show the correct battery charge remaining (it will be always shown as full)
— there is an orange indicator light at the shoulder trigger area to indicated battery low and charging status
— bluetooth connection (connect thru USB for first time and it will auto pair with the Switch). thereafter just press START to power on controller.
— wired connection (need to turn on Pro Controller Wired option in Settings)
— player number indicator support e.g Player 1 with one notch on vs Player 2 with two notches on (in a bottom 4 light button panel)
— motion control works fine
— Rumble can be “loud” in some games. fortunately there is a method to toggle vibration on/off using L+R+SELECT)

— firmware can be updated

— CANNOT power ON the N.Switch !
— CANNOT be charged thru the N.Switch Dock while it is in Sleep Mode !

main issue encountered is when another Nintendo official Joy-Con is paired. there will be major input lag once you have a mix of the official joycon and this controller. there is no such issue when only 1 or 2 SF30 Pro is in use.

This post has been edited by yangkuo: Dec 28 2018, 08:42 PM
victorr
post Aug 7 2018, 05:37 PM

Casual
431 posts

You need to update the firmware to fix the input lag & vibration issue
TSyangkuo
post Aug 7 2018, 08:36 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

The vibration and input lag problem scenarios I mentioned was not solved with firmware upgrades so far. (Latest firmware version available 1.26)

Just to be clear, there is NO input lag when using only 1 or more sf30 pro. Only when a standard joycon is in the mix will it happen

QUOTE(victorr @ Aug 7 2018, 05:37 PM)
You need to update the firmware to fix the input lag & vibration issue
This post has been edited by yangkuo: Aug 7 2018, 08:42 PM
victorr
post Aug 8 2018, 01:13 PM

Casual
431 posts

QUOTE(yangkuo @ Aug 7 2018, 08:36 PM)
The vibration and input lag problem scenarios I mentioned was not solved with firmware upgrades so far.  (Latest firmware version available 1.26)

Just to be clear, there is NO input lag when using only 1 or more sf30 pro. Only when a standard joycon is in the mix will it happen
I see. For me the firmware did fixed up the vibration. Try using it with the original firmware. It's a super strong vibrator biggrin.gif

armitage
post Aug 9 2018, 01:11 PM

28 posts

Hi,

I'm interested with this. Is it original from 8bitdo? I found a few in Lazada and Shopee but they were quite cheap to be original. If it's not original, can you still update the firmware?

Thanks!
TSyangkuo
post Aug 9 2018, 02:16 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

I bought mine for RM169 from Impulse Gaming. Firmware update works and everything including packaging looked the real deal.

One more thing to double check is this is the Pro variant which has dual Analog sticks, 4 shoulder buttons, motion control and rumble function. The classic 2 trigger and D-pad only variant was much cheaper

QUOTE(armitage @ Aug 9 2018, 01:11 PM)
Hi,

I'm interested with this. Is it original from 8bitdo? I found a few in Lazada and Shopee but they were quite cheap to be original. If it's not original, can you still update the firmware?

Thanks!
This post has been edited by yangkuo: Aug 9 2018, 03:35 PM
armitage
post Aug 9 2018, 06:18 PM

28 posts

Thanks yangkuo. I’ve checked impulse and they’re out of stock currently. BTW, nice review. Hopefully the lag issue will be fixed.

QUOTE(yangkuo @ Aug 9 2018, 02:16 PM)
I bought mine for RM169 from Impulse Gaming. Firmware update works and everything including packaging looked the real deal.

One more thing to double check is this is the Pro variant which has dual Analog sticks, 4 shoulder buttons, motion control and rumble function. The classic 2 trigger and D-pad only variant was much cheaper
TSyangkuo
post Apr 29 2020, 01:38 PM

Getting Started
89 posts

though this particular model (SF30 Pro) has been discontinued there was a number of firmware updates that brought in useful fixes since the review was posted.

the latest available firmware is 1.33 (check 8bitdo support website for patch log)

the new model replacing this would be the SN30 Pro+ (with extended grips like a Pro controller)

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:05 PM