Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

AMD Ryzen /Threadripper OverClocking V1.1, big or small, share your results here...

views

coolkwc
post Jul 2 2021, 11:52 AM

Fall in love with audio again.
3,110 posts

Hi Guys, i just switch from my Intel to AMD platform yesterday.

5900X + Asus RS Gaming-XE Wifi, the rest (including RAM) just migrated from Intel rig as in my siggy.
I have alot of confusion and question would like to ask but will do my reading in here as well:

1. HWinfo, CPU-Z and AIDA constantly shown one of my DIMM is missing (although the one that reported missing is different), however all can report 64GB in total. rclxub.gif
user posted image
user posted image
2. The temperature sensor only on 'CPU' and 'CPU package', not per die? Maybe be i too used to Intel platform already.
user posted image
3. I never ever see any single core reach 4.95Ghz using Ryzen Master even with PBO. Maybe i need a suitable benchmarking tools?
4. Looks like the idle temperature of this 5900x is much higher than my 9900KS. Seems like all the SW report different temperature...i don't know who to trust. confused.gif
5. The memory latency of same memory setting yield 70ns which is almost 20ns slower than my 9900KS, after search online looks line memory latency is higher in AMD platform. rclxub.gif

In overall, i'm drown in the sea of parameters. Still learning. Would be better if someone can give me some insight on my question/observation above laugh.gif sweat.gif

This post has been edited by coolkwc: Jul 2 2021, 11:54 AM
coolkwc
post Jul 3 2021, 02:21 AM

3,110 posts

After some crash course tonight, finally understand the PBO and curve optimizer. This is my Cinebench R23 result with the setting below:

1. Curve optimizer - All core -20
2. Boost override - +200MHz
3. Scalar - Auto

Multicore running

Attached Image

Singlecore

Attached Image

Any comment?

This post has been edited by coolkwc: Jul 3 2021, 02:25 AM
coolkwc
post Jul 3 2021, 02:51 AM

3,110 posts

QUOTE(verdict @ Jun 3 2021, 02:19 AM)
Holla Senpai, with 1.5K budget range, which mobo is the best in term of OC and ecstatic?
I switched from Intel to AMD platform, from Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master to Asus Rog Strix B550-XE Gaming, both should be same range.
So if Gigabyte Aorus Master in AMD follow the same design language as in Intel platform, i would say ASUS no match in terms of build and ecstatic.

Yesterday when i unboxing the Asus board, immediately i felt a huge downgrading.
Cheap VRM heatsink, no back plate, cheap RGB effect, cheap metal appearance, and despite a 1.5k board, there is NO clear CMOS switch...oh come on, i need to short the clear CMOS using jumper, what era is that.

Just hope the reliability is better.
coolkwc
post Jul 3 2021, 11:47 AM

3,110 posts

QUOTE(Bonchi @ Jul 3 2021, 03:24 AM)
remember to monitor your VRM temps as you seem to be drawing 200W at load especially on an upper mid range board which is not exactly designed for max out OC.

pretty much that's it since youre almost hitting the 90C thermal limit. maybe try reducing voltage to lower the temps and find more headroom. 

I feel that 5000 series dont seem to benefit much from RAM speed and latency as much as 3000 series and performance seems to stagnant after 3600mhz. (maybe nrw can clarify) but the next step should be playing with memory OC.
Thanks @Bonchi

How to reduce the voltage when using PBO + curve optimizer? The curve optimizer is reduce the voltage opportunistic right?

Anyway i try CPU voltage offset, -0.05V, seems able tonshake off 15W during multicore, boost clock still maintain 4.6Ghz. is that the right way to reducr the voltage?

This post has been edited by coolkwc: Jul 3 2021, 11:58 AM
coolkwc
post Jul 3 2021, 12:48 PM

3,110 posts

QUOTE(Bonchi @ Jul 3 2021, 12:04 PM)
Yeap through the offset.
If reduce too much, are we expect the highest single core boost will be affected?

My plan for next maybe is to use per core CO and increase the count for best core, currently -30 all core, how do u think?
coolkwc
post Jul 3 2021, 09:30 PM

3,110 posts

Have been using the settings below for whole day without stability issue.

CO -30 all core
Boost +200MHz
Vcore offset -0.075v

Maybe will try to reduce the Vcore further.

This post has been edited by coolkwc: Jul 3 2021, 09:31 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0259sec    0.38    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:04 PM