Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

GPU's temp

views

TSSotsotzaii
post Jul 23 2018, 02:06 PM, updated 6y ago

Look at all my stars!!
2,217 posts

So I recently got my computer from windows 8 to windows 10, and hence my friend who has been helping me the whole process ( a network senior engineer himself ) told me to download MSI afterburner to keep tab of my temp. So today we were doing remote control and he saw my GPU temp is about 70 Celsius while running with games and chrome on the background. He told me it's super hot and it's not usual. Whereas his is only running at 40c +

I do have 2 GPU running SLI , and only 1 default fan in the chassis, so he suggested I get more fan, and also go for hybrid setup to fix my issue. So here I am asking all sifus, is my temp really that high ? Or it's still at the normal range ? Do I need more fans ? So far I only have one default fan which is outtake , and not intake, and he suggested i reverse the default fan from outtake to intake, and the rest of the fans that I'm going to install, put it outtakes, any advice on that ?

My case can install about 7-8 fans, if I'm not seeing wrong.
jetblast
post Jul 23 2018, 02:11 PM

Regular
1,010 posts

Gpu at 70nis OK while gaming. If at idle then you have a problem
jmas
post Jul 23 2018, 02:18 PM

Enthusiast
755 posts

70c is normal while in heavy usage la.

As for fan, its just personal preference of positive vs negative air pressure
LTT got a pretty good guide on this.

Extra reading:
https://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_con...ositive&area=en
TSSotsotzaii
post Jul 23 2018, 02:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,217 posts

QUOTE(jmas @ Jul 23 2018, 02:18 PM)
70c is normal while in heavy usage la.

As for fan, its just personal preference of positive vs negative air pressure
LTT got a pretty good guide on this.

Extra reading:
https://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_con...ositive&area=en
Ahhh ok got it, I was quite worried that my hardware and stuff will be burned or something, because he sounded as if it's very urgent. So if 70 is ok while heavy usage then it's good to know. If at idle, normally what temp should I be getting ?
jmas
post Jul 23 2018, 03:35 PM

Enthusiast
755 posts

QUOTE(Sotsotzaii @ Jul 23 2018, 02:50 PM)
Ahhh ok got it, I was quite worried that my hardware and stuff will be burned or something, because he sounded as if it's very urgent. So if 70 is ok while heavy usage then it's good to know. If at idle, normally what temp should I be getting ?
only >80 can consider very hot, >90 is overheating.
for idle temp, depends on your environment also, for mine in 25c aircon room, idle temp for my 960 never goes up over 40.
aLertz
post Jul 23 2018, 04:42 PM

Overconfidence is a flimsy shield
1,111 posts

yeah, when on heavy load/gaming....70 is common...
when idle, should be around or lesser than 40....

doesn't seem like any problem in your case...
but, more fan is always good...at least 1 in 1 out
syzwn
post Jul 23 2018, 04:51 PM

Casual
358 posts

70c is fine while gaming and browsing internet.

and idle should be around 40-45.

This post has been edited by syzwn: Jul 23 2018, 04:54 PM
TSSotsotzaii
post Jul 23 2018, 05:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,217 posts

QUOTE(aLertz @ Jul 23 2018, 04:42 PM)
yeah, when on heavy load/gaming....70 is common...
when idle, should be around or lesser than 40....

doesn't seem like any problem in your case...
but, more fan is always good...at least 1 in 1 out
Ah yes, my idle now is currently at 40 more or less, on gaming it's 65-70. By the way, what kind of setup should I go for my air flow ? Positive , negative or neutral ? I went over few videos and it seems that neutral is the best ?

For some info on my spec - 2 gtx 970 sli , 16 gb ram z97 gaming mb, i7, currently only have one default fan and been using it for years ever since I built it.

This post has been edited by Sotsotzaii: Jul 23 2018, 05:10 PM
aLertz
post Jul 23 2018, 06:11 PM

Overconfidence is a flimsy shield
1,111 posts

QUOTE(Sotsotzaii @ Jul 23 2018, 05:10 PM)
Ah yes, my idle now is currently at 40 more or less, on gaming it's 65-70. By the way, what kind of setup should I go for my air flow ? Positive , negative or neutral ? I went over few videos and it seems that neutral is the best ?

For some info on my spec - 2 gtx 970 sli , 16 gb ram z97 gaming mb, i7, currently only have one default fan and been using it for years ever since I built it.
haha it depends...negative is cooler but would cause more dust in your case while positive is the opposite...
but if u have at least an intake fan, that'll help a lot in cooling the interior of your casing...

here's some guide/info
nambtr
post Oct 31 2018, 04:09 PM

Getting Started
189 posts

QUOTE(Sotsotzaii @ Jul 23 2018, 02:06 PM)
So I recently got my computer from windows 8 to windows 10, and hence my friend who has been helping me the whole process ( a network senior engineer himself ) told me to download MSI afterburner to keep tab of my temp. So today we were doing remote control and he saw my GPU temp is about 70 Celsius while running with games and chrome on the background. He told me it's super hot and it's not usual. Whereas his is only running at 40c +

I do have 2 GPU running SLI , and only 1 default fan in the chassis, so he suggested I get more fan, and also go for hybrid setup to fix my issue. So here I am asking all sifus, is my temp really that high ? Or it's still at the normal range ? Do I need more fans ? So far I only have one default fan which is outtake , and not intake, and he suggested i reverse the default fan from outtake to intake, and the rest of the fans that I'm going to install, put it outtakes, any advice on that ?

My case can install about 7-8 fans, if I'm not seeing wrong.
This temperature is consider high. As your CPU casing need to add on casing fan and create the air flow to blow the hot air out, so that it can lower down the temperature. If the temperature is high all the time, the part wont be durable for long and life span become short.
As myself I modify my CPU casing since 2004 of total fan included PSU fan with 11 fan in it. My CPU system still running till now as already 14 years going.
HDD and graphic card that use since 14 years ago till now still working without issue for me.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0166sec    0.62    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:04 PM