post Jul 19 2018, 08:57 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

Noted
regnessem
post Jul 20 2018, 09:39 AM

Casual

have you friend ever meet the "web developer" before making payment? RM20k is a lot of money to deal over the internet.

anyway, what's the significant behind not company but is an enterprise when you want to lodge a police report?

etsuko
post Jul 20 2018, 11:03 AM

Spaced Out Creative Designer & Business Owner
Group Icon
Group: Elite

Was a contract signed between your friend and them?

Has your friend sought advice from a legal advisor of whether legal action could be taken?

I've been in the industry long enough to have heard the name of the provider. However, I would never jump to conclusions until hearing both sides of the story.

Anyway.. best advice your friend to seek legal counsel if a contract was signed. Otherwise, it's a heavy lesson learnt the hard way.

P.S. It also doesn't matter whether it's built on Wordpress. I know of companies who build custom websites using Wordpress as the core and have delivered great results from it. Keep calm and focus on the main issue - project delay, loss of income etc.
Krista Goon
post Jul 20 2018, 12:36 PM

Group: Newbie

Hi there

I read this post with shock as I am the person you are referring to as a cheater. And to prove that I am who I am, I am using my own name (Krista Goon) right here.

I also know the "dear friend" you are referring to. Since there are 2 sides to the story, let me tell you mine before you go around defaming people. This is something I consider very serious.

Your friend is called Fiza Thalhan. She is an English-Malay translator who came to us about 3 years ago wanting us to design her a premium website. And yes, our premium website does cost RM20K.

Why? Because not only is it a website, it is developed with a marketing strategy in mind. It also has full copywriting, search engine optimization for all the web pages and of course, a customised design. We don't go around advertising this as we know not many people in business can afford this and not every business owner understands why they need this.

Here's how most website design works: the client gives company profile information, designer copies and pastes into the website that is usually a standard website template. If the website cannot be found on Google, the client needs to advertise.

In contrast, our premium website works by ensuring the client is not only positioned correctly as an expert in her industry but also to ensure the website is found organically when people do a search related to the client's industry.

Let's be very clear here: Fiza came to us, called us and asked us to help her as she was transitting from her job in HR to becoming her own boss (translation services). We told her upfront that the website is at RM20K. She decided to commission us to design her the website, write her entire website content, help her find her USP for a stronger market positioning as she had been 'burnt' before by other web designers.

She signed an agreement with us. And her RM20K payment was made in 4 monthly instalments.

Did she mention that she tried to one-up her own mentor (who is also our client and is still our client) by requesting us to get a domain name that was similar to her mentor's? We advised her not to and told her why not use her own name as the domain name and get another one for SEO purposes? That was a first indication that things could go downhill. I mean, come on, her mentor who is a veteran translator in this industry, helped her!

Did she also mention that we wrote all the blog posts on her website in addition to the entire website content including individual SEO for each page?

Did she also mention how we taught her how to put up the blog post links on her FB and Google+ in order to lead back to her website? (By the way, this is already above and beyond what was offered in the web package because we felt that she needed some marketing help and assistance.)

Did she also mention how we even designed for her a logo and FB graphic so that the brand would be consistent across all her online platforms?

Did she also mention the long conversations we had on Skype where we were helping her find her USP as a translator?

Did she also mention that since her business was no good, we didn't even charge her the RM300 per month maintenance fee for 6 months?

And by the way, we told her she could copy out all the website content and keep it.

We have been in business for 20 years and we have created results for our clients but marketing takes time.

Fiza did not want to follow our advice and do the work. She wanted immediate results (people clamouring for her translation services instantly). For those of you in business, you would know marketing is a marathon, not a 100m sprint.

I have been a copywriter and marketer for a long time and I have seen all sorts of people. Many want to blame people for failures when they could just learn from their failure and become better. I have learnt never to work with people who are problematic in the first place after this horrendous episode.

One more thing too, she left us a one-star review on our Google My Business and after that, she deleted the rating!

As business owners, our credibility and reputation are important. So I take this very seriously indeed and I am going to ask my client, Penang Bar (yes, we have been managing the Penang Bar website for years now) for further advice on the defamation.

If any of you want to know more about me and what I do, feel free to google my name or find me on LinkedIn and even FB under my own name. Not only do I run a business with Nic (who is my business partner and husband) as a registered business since 1998, we are also involved in a lot of community work in Penang.

I just feel disappointed that this ex-client chose to defame us this way. In a way, I am glad she is no longer our client. So take this as a lesson guys and gals ...do your due diligence and choose your clients properly or you will have people defaming you online. And if a prospect feels icky at the start, it will be awful at the end.

QUOTE(Thinker756 @ Jul 19 2018, 01:33 PM)
Hi guys,

I am not sure whether this an appropriate section to post this.

I am just helping a dear friend, an online business owner who got conned by this company for a fat 20k so that other people will not get cheated.

This company demanded a full payment of 20k for a so called Premium Web Design even before soft launch. Copy writing and marketing are included in the package however the website did not work due to wrong business model. The agreement is one sided-my friend needed to pay RM300 monthly for maintenance cost.

My friend waited for almost a year for this website to 'function' but the result is very poor. When explanation is demanded, they did not want to hold any responsibility and they left her just like that, 20k poorer and failed business. The website expires after a year and they did not even give her the copy of the content.

When my friend did the digging before she made a police report, she found out that this company is not even a company in the first place. It is merely an enterprise (business)! And the website is not so canggih-they use Wordpress only!

Professional conners from Penang called Nic Sim and Krista Goon-these two cons are husband and wife, operating from Penang. They way they present themselves is mind blowing.   mad.gif

Remember, the name is REDBOX STUDIO (http://redboxstudio.com/)

Beware yeah.  cry.gif
This post has been edited by Krista Goon: Jul 20 2018, 12:41 PM
abubin
post Jul 20 2018, 04:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

Was there any black and white agreement signed between both party?
iammyself
post Jul 21 2018, 04:01 AM

Getting Started

This company demanded a full payment of 20k for a so called Premium Web Design even before soft launch. Copy writing and marketing are included in the package however the website did not work due to wrong business model. The agreement is one sided-my friend needed to pay RM300 monthly for maintenance cost.
Could you clarify on what does it mean by "does not work due to wrong business model"?

The figure is irrelevant -- 5k, 20k, 100k, 1 million. What matters is did the design firm deliver what was promised?

If not, what did the firm fail to deliver?

My friend waited for almost a year for this website to 'function' but the result is very poor.
What specific "functions" did the web design firm promised but not delivered?

The website expires after a year and they did not even give her the copy of the content.
If the website is published, I don't think it's common practice to give out a copy like in PDF file or Doc file. Unless you mean that the web design company prevents from you exporting the content.

When my friend did the digging before she made a police report, she found out that this company is not even a company in the first place. It is merely an enterprise (business)!
Irrelevant.

And the website is not so canggih-they use Wordpress only!
Also irrelevant. Unless the design firm promised specifically everything will be built from scratch, using Wordpress is probably a PLUS for users because of its strong community.

iammyself
post Jul 21 2018, 04:24 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Krista Goon @ Jul 20 2018, 12:36 PM)

In contrast, our premium website works by ensuring the client is not only positioned correctly as an expert in her industry but also to ensure the website is found organically when people do a search related to the client's industry.
I think this is a crucial point. Did you guarantee organic traffic to the person's website? If yes, did the website get any?

QUOTE(Krista Goon @ Jul 20 2018, 12:36 PM)

And by the way, we told her she could copy out all the website content and keep it.
Does the client have access to the Wordpress dashboard? Can they export out everything with a plugin?
What about the domain name? Who owns it? Should a client decide to not stay on with your firm, what happens to it?
ladycooper
post Jul 24 2018, 06:43 PM

Enthusiast

just wondering what "Thinker756" has to say after this.
Selectt
post Jul 24 2018, 08:10 PM

wattttt!!

Hi guys,

I am not sure whether this an appropriate section to post this.

I am just helping a dear friend, an online business owner who got conned by this company for a fat 20k so that other people will not get cheated.

My friend waited for almost a year for this website to 'function' but the result is very poor. When explanation is demanded, they did not want to hold any responsibility and they left her just like that, 20k poorer and failed business. The website expires after a year and they did not even give her the copy of the content.

When my friend did the digging before she made a police report, she found out that this company is not even a company in the first place. It is merely an enterprise (business)! And the website is not so canggih-they use Wordpress only!

Professional conners from Penang called Nic Sim and Krista Goon-these two cons are husband and wife, operating from Penang. They way they present themselves is mind blowing.  mad.gif

Remember, the name is REDBOX STUDIO (http://redboxstudio.com/)

Beware yeah.  cry.gif
Why you helping "your friend" to post here when "your friend" should be posting not you.

Krista is here so why not you get "your friend" to post here. Your friend is Fiza Thalhan? get her/him here and post here too.

go outside now
Thinker756
post Jul 30 2018, 06:26 PM

dry.gif

This post has been edited by Thinker756: Jul 30 2018, 08:30 PM
Thinker756
post Jul 30 2018, 06:34 PM

dry.gif

This post has been edited by Thinker756: Jul 30 2018, 08:30 PM
Thinker756
post Jul 30 2018, 06:37 PM

dry.gif

This post has been edited by Thinker756: Jul 30 2018, 08:31 PM
Thinker756
post Jul 30 2018, 06:51 PM

dry.gif

This post has been edited by Thinker756: Jul 30 2018, 08:31 PM
ReaperX
post Jul 30 2018, 06:58 PM

U can be the moon but still be jealous of the stars.

Why TS is not responding to @krista goon ?
Thinker756
post Jul 30 2018, 07:16 PM

dry.gif

This post has been edited by Thinker756: Jul 30 2018, 08:32 PM

Bump TopicClosed TopicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0694sec    3.99    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st October 2018 - 12:31 PM