Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Writing a book

views

TSabu.shofwan
post Jul 17 2018, 07:07 PM, updated 6y ago

Regular
1,455 posts

To be frank, I only found out about this subforum after making a search for posts on publishing a book.

Story is, during the last bulan puasa, I was left with a little bit more time than usual. Work ends at 1 pm here during the month of Ramadhan. I go home around 2.30 – 2.45, though, so that I arrive home right about time for Asar prayer (around 3.20pm). With about 3 hours to go before buka puasa, I started pounding words onto my XPS 12. Day in and day out.

And it turns out I liked it…

No, not the way the keys reacted when I pressed them. I’m talking about the writing itself.

I had a general idea of the topic (fiction, of course, but not fantasy or dungeons and dragons type… or science fiction), how the story will go. I’ve drawn a bit of a diagram so that I don’t forget it.

It looked like it was going to be a short novel. But as I continue working on it, I’ve managed to go more than 80 thousand words. And it’s still not finished.
What started as a short novel, a way to kill time until the buka puasa, now looks like it will be a two-book ordeal. Maybe even three. I know I can fit into two for sure, but I’m starting to see the possibility of something to be written in between book 1 and 2. Yes, it started as 1 book. But as I got deeper and deeper into the story, it became apparent that I needed to split into 2 books. So now I have a lot of material already drafted for book 1 and a few chapters for book 2.

Nowadays, with less time to work on it and more time to work at the office, I spend about an hour and a half to progress the story – which is normally enough for one chapter.
So… any tips for a noob writer? Maybe can make this as a side income, was what I thought.

A small problem I have is that my mind continues to work on the story throughout the day. While working at the office, while off to the masjid for prayer. Any tip on how to calm one’s mind?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0131sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:43 AM