Display become black randomly, My desktop display went missing

views

TSbeligames
post Jul 17 2018, 11:55 AM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
63 posts

Hi Brothers/sisters

Need some help.

Recently, starting from 2 weeks ago, my desktop is randomly loosing the display. Screen goes black. Weird this is that the PC is still running. I am not sure whether the PC is still usable or not, but the PC stuff (GC, CPU, FAN, usb hardisk etc are still showing light).

i tried to play around with the HDMI cable. but nothing changes. usually what i did was just hard restart the PC. it works back as normal, until randomly happen again.

did alot of clean up and checking. still no change. (change the hdmi cable, change the monitor).

until i decide to go into save mode with network.

when i use that, it seems that the pc is working well. can see the display and stuff.

so got me thinking, could it be a window problem? (maybe there was an update recently etc). OR is it a hardware failure, because safemode dont require a good solid GC?

need your help. should i reformat? (maann i hate this so many things to re-setup), or can i confirm the diagnose the the problem is hardware?

anyone else had this issue?

My PC SPEC.

PSU - ICore 5
GC - Sapphire 6850 ati radeon 1g
Power supply - 550w
ram 8 gig ddr
hard disk 1 tera
windows 10.

anything else required to know?

hope someone can help me to help to find the problem.

pls pls pls/ notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

This post has been edited by beligames: Jul 17 2018, 11:56 AM
ashleemak
post Jul 17 2018, 12:06 PM

Getting Started
252 posts

According from what you described I think it's most likely a software problem. Reinstall graphic driver first, if it doesn't help format.
Win10
post Jul 17 2018, 02:44 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Tbh, sounds more like a degrading GPU issue.

Just switch out your GPU and performed your daily task. If nothing goes south, your GPU unit is the real culprit.
TSbeligames
post Jul 17 2018, 03:02 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(Win10 @ Jul 17 2018, 02:44 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Tbh, sounds more like a degrading GPU issue.

Just switch out your GPU and performed your daily task. If nothing goes south, your GPU unit is the real culprit.
but if the GPU, why can it run in safemode?

and sometime in normal mode as well?

does damage GPU do this?

loki
post Jul 17 2018, 03:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,086 posts

QUOTE(beligames @ Jul 17 2018, 03:02 PM)

does damage GPU do this?
safe mode skips all the necessary drivers and starts with the basic microsoft drivers. That way, u can troubleshoot whether its the hardware or software problem..
Zot
post Jul 17 2018, 03:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

I also observed the same thing lately on my old laptop running Windows 7. Like you, I think probably something to do with Windows update and certain hardware combination.

The momentary blackout is random and sometimes not at all during usage period.
Win10
post Jul 17 2018, 03:10 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(beligames @ Jul 17 2018, 03:02 PM)

does damage GPU do this?
Cuz safe mode run on intergrated graphic, and just windows process natively🙂

Asking him to run on intergrated graphic, on normal boot, meant he'd have access to those background process.. Another cross checking and culprit hunting.
Win10
post Jul 17 2018, 03:14 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Jul 17 2018, 03:08 PM)
I also observed the same thing lately on my old laptop running Windows 7. Like you, I think probably something to do with Windows update and certain hardware combination.

The momentary blackout is random and sometimes not at all during usage period.
1-If it was momentarily, either swaped out your hdmi (or any gpu>display connector cable) and make sure it tight.

2-If still persist, make System Restore back to before date of latest m$ patch.

If point 2 solved you problem. Give me heads up, so I may advices on your next patching step.
Zot
post Jul 17 2018, 03:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(Win10 @ Jul 17 2018, 03:14 PM)
1-If it was momentarily, either swaped out your hdmi (or any gpu>display connector cable) and make sure it tight.
2-If still persist, make System Restore back to before date of latest m$ patch.

If point 2 solved you problem. Give me heads up, so I may advices on your next patching step.
It is a laptop. So #1 is not applicable

It's an old laptop and laggy too. So, not even bother about that. The internal battery also dead. I just keep adapter plugged and on all time and turn to hibernate laugh.gif

Was designed for Vista smile.gif I just don't bother. Thanks anyway
TSbeligames
post Jul 17 2018, 06:39 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(Win10 @ Jul 17 2018, 03:10 PM)
Cuz safe mode run on intergrated graphic, and just windows process natively🙂

Asking him to run on intergrated graphic, on normal boot, meant he'd have access to those background process.. Another cross checking and culprit hunting.
one thing i want to add is when i use both the normal mode, which only can happen once in a while. the display seems like there is a line in the screen, vertically. and color seems not really stable. eg i full screen my youtube video, it will show all white first before loading to the picture (take around 3-5 second).

while in safe mode, the line is more thick and obvious. but the youtube issue dont happen.

any idea?
TSbeligames
post Jul 18 2018, 07:05 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(loki @ Jul 17 2018, 03:06 PM)
safe mode skips all the necessary drivers and starts with the basic microsoft drivers. That way, u can troubleshoot whether its the hardware or software problem..
so how do i troubleshoot whether its hardware or software?
syzwn
post Jul 18 2018, 11:30 AM

Casual
358 posts

QUOTE(beligames @ Jul 18 2018, 07:05 AM)
so how do i troubleshoot whether its hardware or software?
if safe mode can boot normally, so it is software issue.

TSbeligames
post Jul 18 2018, 11:37 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(syzwn @ Jul 18 2018, 11:30 AM)
yes can boot normally, i ve did some testing, i booted up in safe mode since yesterday, and this morning it is still working.

ok, next action, how can i identify what software is causing a problem? i went through system device, but nothing seems to be in concern as all the hardware is working (aside from not being able to be activated due to safe mode)

apparently i cant restore to the previous version because i never set it up before. (system recovery). Which is wierd as i know ive set it up before and used it before in the past 1year.

Win10
post Jul 18 2018, 12:32 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(syzwn @ Jul 18 2018, 11:30 AM)
Dude, dont make him confuse.
Someone made the same poor advices yday😅

Checkout earlier post.

Pc ran on intergrated graphic, (and most basic windows driver) instead of gpu input in safe mode.

QUOTE(beligames @ Jul 18 2018, 11:37 AM)
yes can boot normally, i ve did some testing, i booted up in safe mode since yesterday, and this morning it is still working.

ok, next action, how can i identify what software is causing a problem? i went through system device, but nothing seems to be in concern as all the hardware is working (aside from not being able to be activated due to safe mode)

apparently i cant restore to the previous version because i never set it up before. (system recovery). Which is wierd as i know ive set it up before and used it before in the past 1year.
Again. It really seems like a gpu related issue.
1.Clean gpu driver and reinstall back latest gpu driver.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/displa...r-download.html

If it's no avail;

2.Have you plug out your gpu and boot on normal mode?
By auto, you'll have a smaller resolution as 800x600. Change back to your monitor native reso and try running few hours and some youtube video.
Still persist?

The thin line (named "gpu artifact line") are commonly issue at old and degrading gpu unit. Google image will result in lots of image formation.

This post has been edited by Win10: Jul 18 2018, 12:36 PM
TSbeligames
post Jul 18 2018, 12:41 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(Win10 @ Jul 18 2018, 12:32 PM)
Dude, dont make him confuse.
Someone made the same poor advices yday😅

Checkout earlier post.

Pc ran on intergrated graphic, (and most basic windows driver) instead of gpu input in safe mode.
Again. It really seems like a gpu  related issue.
1.Clean gpu driver and reinstall back latest gpu driver.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/displa...r-download.html

If it's no avail;

2.Have you plug out your gpu and boot on normal mode?
By auto, you'll have a smaller resolution as 800x600. Change back to your monitor native reso and try running few hours and some youtube video.
Still persist?

The thin line (named "gpu artifact line") are commonly issue at old and degrading gpu unit. Google image will result in lots of image formation.
ok cool. ill try the 2 step.

but just wondering, how can the GPU driver is having a problem when i never install anything new recently.
Win10
post Jul 18 2018, 01:08 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(beligames @ Jul 18 2018, 12:41 PM)
ok cool. ill try the 2 step.

but just wondering, how can the GPU driver is having a problem when i never install anything new recently.
It's normal to troubleshoot following step by step🙂
We guess all the related culprit, based on situation given.

Driver related issue may not necessarily due to old driver, but a new clashing environment with latest windows (backhround) patch *easily, 90% of driver related case.

TSbeligames
post Jul 20 2018, 11:47 AM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(Win10 @ Jul 18 2018, 01:08 PM)
It's normal to troubleshoot following step by step🙂
We guess all the related culprit, based on situation given.

Driver related issue may not necessarily due to old driver, but a new clashing environment with latest windows (backhround) patch *easily, 90% of driver related case.
Hi all,

just wanted to say thank you.

i manage to identify the issue. it is really the GPU not functioning as per expected.

so what i did was:

1. Remove my GPU
2. Use my intergrated GPU
3. THe pc works fine post to that. (which tells me that the GPU was the one with problem)
4. I took the GPU and unscrambled it, do some clean up.
5. Tried it again, and walla, its done!

thank you all.

anyway,

few queries rises from my action above.

a) how do i know what was the problem with my GPU?

i) is it because of the fan dont work? my fan sometimes spins, sometime not. (however i read that it is common for fan to only get spinning based on a criteria that we set up on the temp calculator (default))
ii) if the problem with my temperature meter on the GPU, can i fixed it?

iii) when i open it up, i noted on the thermal paste condition. How do i know the thermal paste condition should looked like?

b) can i combine both my GPU & Intergrated GPU together? if can how? and can it run together to give more power to my display source? since i am doing video editing, will it help? or does it only apply if i am using more than one screen.

sorry for so many question and so many queries, hope the expert taikos can help me on this. notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Win10
post Jul 21 2018, 02:41 AM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(beligames @ Jul 20 2018, 11:47 AM)
Hi all,

just wanted to say thank you.

i manage to identify the issue. it is really the GPU not functioning as per expected.

so what i did was:

1. Remove my GPU
2. Use my intergrated GPU
3. THe pc works fine post to that. (which tells me that the GPU was the one with problem)
4. I took the GPU and unscrambled it, do some clean up.
5. Tried it again, and walla, its done!

thank you all.

anyway,

few queries rises from my action above.

a) how do i know what was the problem with my GPU?

i) is it because of the fan dont work? my fan sometimes spins, sometime not. (however i read that it is common for fan to only get spinning based on a criteria that we set up on the temp calculator (default))
ii) if the problem with my temperature meter on the GPU, can i fixed it?

iii) when i open it up, i noted on the thermal paste condition. How do i know the thermal paste condition should looked like?

b) can i combine both my GPU & Intergrated GPU together? if can how? and can it run together to give more power to my display source? since i am doing video editing, will it help? or does it only apply if i am using more than one screen.
sorry for so many question and so many queries, hope the expert taikos can help me on this. notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
An artifact issue is commong among degrading gpu unit where the connecting solder on ic board is cracking. You'd be super luck, solving it just by 1. replacing the thermal paste

2. The only helping method we've heard of is by baking the unit in oven several time.

Till date, I'd love to test my artifact-ed r9 280 under the method. Lol.

3. Your last option is buying a new/used unit on our grage garage sale.. There's tonnes of <rm300, given your handicap.
netmatrix
post Jul 21 2018, 10:55 AM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

Suggest you borrow a monitor to test out first before changing the graphics card.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0157sec    0.23    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:06 PM