Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> [2018/2019] MacBook Pro User Thread

views

kenn723
post Jul 16 2019, 04:22 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(westlife @ Jul 15 2019, 12:51 PM)
I supposed MBA has lesser ppl buying so it may have more supply than MBP.
Do you think the mid range 13inch MBP worth getting? Im considering it if the new base MBP couldn't arrive by month end.

This post has been edited by kenn723: Jul 16 2019, 06:33 AM
TSwestlife
post Jul 16 2019, 07:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(kenn723 @ Jul 16 2019, 04:22 AM)
Do you think the mid range 13inch MBP worth getting? Im considering it if the new base MBP couldn't arrive by month end.
if u ask me, i feel that it is totally not worth it.

rm800 difference.

MBP has the following over MBA
better display (P3 wide gamut)
brighter (500 nits vs 400 nits)
better processor (this is the biggest difference, in long run, the MBP can certainly last longer before you find it not meeting your needs) - low voltage processor + dual-core for MBA vs higher voltage processor + quad-core, the processor of MBA is actually similar to the 12-inch MB but just has slightly better performance.
better graphic (again another significant killer difference if you want to do gaming/video editing etc.)
touchbar (some may not like it, but with this component, whether u use it or look, it looks cooler, haha)
better speaker
bluetooth 5.0 vs 4.2 (future proof)
better battery life (although on paper MBA has better battery life, but base on the live testing on both models, it is found out that the base model MBP has actually longer battery life)
look (most important factor for myself, i care look the most. MBP looks nicer becos of its uniform body (squarish), the wedge design of MBA is not something i like, same for MB is also having similar wedge design)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the only minor minor advantage for MBA over MBP is the weight
1.25kg vs 1.37kg but seriously not significant difference, if it is the previous 12-inch MB yes it makes a big difference but certainly not MBA.

if u are ask me, it is totally not worth it to go for MBA.
seriously, i feel that MBA is the one should be killed instead of MB, at least portability wise it makes a significant difference.
they should have two macbook options
1) 12-macbook - for max portability (they should just reduce price to keep it)
2) macbook pro - for max performance

i seriously do not understand the position of MBA.

This post has been edited by westlife: Jul 16 2019, 07:01 AM
willi_chs
post Jul 16 2019, 08:11 AM

Getting Started

I'm considering base MBP since my older MBA 2014's display got some whitening issue...
What is the best storage option i can get? 128 or 256 or beyond?

I'm not that hardcore video / image editor and only used for web surfing, Netflix, U tubing, etc.

I like to use Windows with Boot Camp, last time i've used was Macbook Aluminium 2008 (due to massive 500GB HDD)... but I chose MBA due to portability. I deciding wan to use Boot Camp once more for newer model (aka base MBP 2019)

Sadly, 128GB MBA wasn't enuf... due to my few iOS backups took away most of d storage...

N also, I'm occasional PC gamer (still Console Gamer at heart)

So TL:DR, which storage option is best for me? 128 or 256 or beyond...

This post has been edited by willi_chs: Jul 16 2019, 08:12 AM
TSwestlife
post Jul 16 2019, 08:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(willi_chs @ Jul 16 2019, 08:11 AM)
I'm considering base MBP since my older MBA 2014's display got some whitening issue...
What is the best storage option i can get? 128 or 256 or beyond?

I'm not that hardcore video / image editor and only used for web surfing, Netflix, U tubing, etc.

I like to use Windows with Boot Camp, last time i've used was Macbook Aluminium 2008 (due to massive 500GB HDD)... but I chose MBA due to portability. I deciding wan to use Boot Camp once more for newer model (aka base MBP 2019)

Sadly, 128GB MBA wasn't enuf... due to my few iOS backups took away most of d storage...

N also, I'm occasional PC gamer (still Console Gamer at heart)

So TL:DR, which storage option is best for me? 128 or 256 or beyond...
Since u need to run bootcamp, 128gb is totally out of questions.

256gb is the ‘bare’ minimum but u are likely to rely a lot on cloud storage or external storage still. If u are on Budget constraint, this is the bare minimum that u can go for.

best option should be 512gb which will give u enough ‘working space’ for long run. my ‘working space’ refers to the storage size that can allow u to work on daily basis without regularly move ur files to external storage or cloud storage and enjoy the maximum data transfer rate of the built-in ssd of macbook.

I always see people asking for advices here for storage options, whether 128gb or 256gb enough. When they are advised for going for higher, they will find all sort of ‘reasons’ to ‘justify’ why they can survive with the Low storage option. Some of the reasons they gave will be they can work on cloud storage, they can buy external hardisks etc. Seriously, if u need to find so many ‘reasons’ to convince itself that the Low option can work, it already means that the storage option does not fit u but u just find ‘reasons’ to justify for ur Budget.

Some of them after less than a year, want to find replacement ssd for bigger storage, end up they actually spent more money due to the labour costs, harder to find parts, even can find the storage speed is way way behind the Apple ssd also.

I always believe the theory of “buy cheap and pay twice”. I understand that some may really have Budget constraints, but if that’s the case, u might end up better to go with cheaper options instead of Apple which u can get cheap and big.

Buying something right at the start is important for Apple products since they are not upgradable. Do be warned that new macbook 2019 has soldered storage. Even u want to upgrade the ssd next time, u cannot do so even. Think carefully before u proceed.

willi_chs
post Jul 16 2019, 10:12 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(westlife @ Jul 16 2019, 08:56 AM)
Since u need to run bootcamp, 128gb is totally out of questions.

256gb is the ‘bare’ minimum but u are likely to rely a lot on cloud storage or external storage still. If u are on Budget constraint, this is the bare minimum that u can go for.

best option should be 512gb which will give u enough ‘working space’ for long run. my ‘working space’ refers to the storage size that can allow u to work on daily basis without regularly move ur files to external storage or cloud storage and enjoy the maximum data transfer rate of the built-in ssd of macbook.

I always see people asking for advices here for storage options, whether 128gb or 256gb enough. When they are advised for going for higher, they will find all sort of ‘reasons’ to ‘justify’ why they can survive with the Low storage option. Some of the reasons they gave will be they can work on cloud storage, they can buy external hardisks etc. Seriously, if u need to find so many ‘reasons’ to convince itself that the Low option can work, it already means that the storage option does not fit u but u just find ‘reasons’ to justify for ur Budget.

Some of them after less than a year, want to find replacement ssd for bigger storage, end up they actually spent more money due to the labour costs, harder to find parts, even can find the storage speed is way way behind the Apple ssd also.

I always believe the theory of “buy cheap and pay twice”. I understand that some may really have Budget constraints, but if that’s the case, u might end up better to go with cheaper options instead of Apple which u can get cheap and big.

Buying something right at the start is important for Apple products since they are not upgradable. Do be warned that new macbook 2019 has soldered storage. Even u want to upgrade the ssd next time, u cannot do so even. Think carefully before u proceed.
I truly agree with u bro

Soldered SSD will be greater pain to swallow if wan to upgrade...

With current MBA, i've away got restricted with "low storage" message many times while download things...

So yea, best to fork out more for higher SSD, i guess 256GB is enuf for me

Thanks for d advice yo!
TSwestlife
post Jul 16 2019, 11:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(willi_chs @ Jul 16 2019, 10:12 AM)
I truly agree with u bro

Soldered SSD will be greater pain to swallow if wan to upgrade...

With current MBA, i've away got restricted with "low storage" message many times while download things...

So yea, best to fork out more for higher SSD, i guess 256GB is enuf for me

Thanks for d advice yo!
no prob. happy purchasing. tongue.gif
willi_chs
post Jul 16 2019, 11:36 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(westlife @ Jul 16 2019, 11:05 AM)
no prob. happy purchasing.  tongue.gif
Only prob now is when is it comin' over here... lol :X
TSwestlife
post Jul 16 2019, 12:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(willi_chs @ Jul 16 2019, 11:36 AM)
Only prob now is when is it comin' over here... lol :X
just wait for it. haha. should be here soon.

dun go for MBA just becos of this. haha.
willi_chs
post Jul 16 2019, 04:06 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(westlife @ Jul 16 2019, 12:44 PM)
just wait for it. haha. should be here soon.

dun go for MBA just becos of this. haha.
Yea. I've done enuf wit MBA d

Time to spec / rev up to MBP
TSwestlife
post Jul 16 2019, 05:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(willi_chs @ Jul 16 2019, 04:06 PM)
Yea. I've done enuf wit MBA d

Time to spec / rev up to MBP
yup. haha. tongue.gif
kenn723
post Jul 17 2019, 01:49 AM

Casual

QUOTE(westlife @ Jul 16 2019, 07:01 AM)
if u ask me, i feel that it is totally not worth it.

rm800 difference.

MBP has the following over MBA
better display (P3 wide gamut)
brighter (500 nits vs 400 nits)
better processor (this is the biggest difference, in long run, the MBP can certainly last longer before you find it not meeting your needs) - low voltage processor + dual-core for MBA vs higher voltage processor + quad-core, the processor of MBA is actually similar to the 12-inch MB but just has slightly better performance.
better graphic (again another significant killer difference if you want to do gaming/video editing etc.)
touchbar (some may not like it, but with this component, whether u use it or look, it looks cooler, haha)
better speaker
bluetooth 5.0 vs 4.2 (future proof)
better battery life (although on paper MBA has better battery life, but base on the live testing on both models, it is found out that the base model MBP has actually longer battery life)
look (most important factor for myself, i care look the most. MBP looks nicer becos of its uniform body (squarish), the wedge design of MBA is not something i like, same for MB is also having similar wedge design)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the only minor minor advantage for MBA over MBP is the weight
1.25kg vs 1.37kg but seriously not significant difference, if it is the previous 12-inch MB yes it makes a big difference but certainly not MBA.

if u are ask me, it is totally not worth it to go for MBA.
seriously, i feel that MBA is the one should be killed instead of MB, at least portability wise it makes a significant difference.
they should have two macbook options
1) 12-macbook - for max portability (they should just reduce price to keep it)
2) macbook pro - for max performance

i seriously do not understand the position of MBA.
Thanks for the insights. How bout comparing to the 2.4GHz MacBook Pro? does paying RM1.5k extra worth the upgrade? The specs looks exactly the same apart from the processor and extra thunderbolt ports.

I don’t do high level video editing and so I believe it doesn’t add value no?
TSwestlife
post Jul 17 2019, 07:13 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(kenn723 @ Jul 17 2019, 01:49 AM)
Thanks for the insights. How bout comparing to the 2.4GHz MacBook Pro? does paying RM1.5k extra worth the upgrade? The specs looks exactly the same apart from the processor and extra thunderbolt ports.

I don’t do high level video editing and so I believe it doesn’t add value no?
base model with 2 ports - more value for money.
in terms of processing power, it is not going to make any major differences in real life for basic tasks.

Not to mention, it has touch bar and Touch ID now for the same price.

since u are doing basic tasks u dun need the 2.4Ghz model.

unless u really need the 4 ports then go for it.

This post has been edited by westlife: Jul 17 2019, 07:19 AM
G.Loomis P
post Jul 17 2019, 11:12 AM

Group: Probation

very advance
kenn723
post Jul 17 2019, 03:19 PM

Casual

QUOTE(westlife @ Jul 17 2019, 07:13 AM)
base model with 2 ports - more value for money.
in terms of processing power, it is not going to make any major differences in real life for basic tasks.

Not to mention, it has touch bar and Touch ID now for the same price.

since u are doing basic tasks u dun need the 2.4Ghz model.

unless u really need the 4 ports then go for it.

Okay thank you! Very helpful smile.gif
lifenoregret
post Jul 17 2019, 03:41 PM

Getting Started

Is there an option to go with 1.4GHz Quad-Core but 512GB SSD?
TSwestlife
post Jul 17 2019, 06:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(lifenoregret @ Jul 17 2019, 03:41 PM)
Is there an option to go with 1.4GHz Quad-Core but 512GB SSD?
Of course there is. Even 2TB also has the option.
lifenoregret
post Jul 17 2019, 06:44 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(westlife @ Jul 17 2019, 06:00 PM)
Of course there is. Even 2TB also has the option.
Thanks for the heads up
chizzu
post Yesterday, 12:10 AM

ブラック★ロックチューター BEAST

just the matter of when the entry level macbook pro gonna arrive our shore LOL
cucumber
post Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(westlife @ Jul 15 2019, 12:51 PM)
I supposed MBA has lesser ppl buying so it may have more supply than MBP.
Nah... the Air has been selling like hot cakes from what I hear. It took one month for the Air hit the stores in Malaysia after the launch last year. So I guess we probably have to wait around one month for the new MBP base to reach Malaysia as well.
trumpet
post Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(cucumber @ Jul 19 2019, 10:39 AM)
Nah... the Air has been selling like hot cakes from what I hear. It took one month for the Air hit the stores in Malaysia after the launch last year. So I guess we probably have to wait around one month for the new MBP base to reach Malaysia as well.
i hope wort the wait.. not wait wait then no came..
better late then never

35 Pages « < 33 34 35Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0743sec    4.11    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th July 2019 - 08:23 PM