TSRitzbitzz
post Jul 4 2018, 04:46 AM, updated 6y ago

5 posts

Alternative pathways after MBBS/MD

As the title above,
I’m a recently graduated medical student, oversea ,
Self finance. Not on scholarship.
After went through all the practical in hospital
I felt myself hating the job day by day.
And now that i have graduated,
I dont feel like going into Housemanship and thinking into further my study. Im thinking into taking bussiness degree/master

Question is,
1. Whether i can apply MBA with my medical degree?
2. Any other opinion regarding alternative carreer/study pathway for medical degree holder
Im not hating the subject- medical, i love it, i hate the working environment

Any input is highly appreciated. Thank you

This post has been edited by Ritzbitzz: Jul 4 2018, 03:35 PM
limeuu
post Jul 4 2018, 09:05 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,924 posts

Another example of choosing a course, instead of a profession....

Up to 20% of houseman feel this way....and many drop out....

This is a result of the unique phenomena in Malaysia of being easy to enter and pass the medical program, enabling many to "try out"....less likely to happen in other countries because it's difficult to enter, so only the best and most committed candidates enter.....

You are not alone...many have gone to do other things....both medically related or otherwise...

This post has been edited by limeuu: Jul 4 2018, 09:09 AM
tpleong
post Jul 4 2018, 10:57 AM

Enthusiast
795 posts

Yes, no problem for MBA.

Maybe you can think about doing research as well .
TSRitzbitzz
post Jul 4 2018, 10:27 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Jul 4 2018, 09:05 AM)
Another example of choosing a course, instead of a profession....

Up to 20% of houseman feel this way....and many drop out....

This is a result of the unique phenomena in Malaysia of being easy to enter and pass the medical program, enabling many to "try out"....less likely to happen in other countries because it's difficult to enter, so only the best and most committed candidates enter.....

You are not alone...many have gone to do other things....both medically related or otherwise...
Well it is not easy for me to enter and i have a good result in SPM all A’s and graduated the medical school successfully and with great result, and I studied in India full course where I need to do and pass the practical and One year Internship there also.
So it is not easy. Like i mentioned , I love medical and surgery , I just hate 50% of the working environment. Plus the stressful life.

I feel like if I doesn’t feel like doing the job sincerely and can potentially cause harm to patients, I should not continue with the profession and find alternative pathways plus after following+ seeing how my sister work place and how she works in Gov hospital, I do feel the reluctancy to continue with the profession.

And yes I do know many HO among my friends and other batches that already MIA and Quit.

This post has been edited by Ritzbitzz: Jul 4 2018, 10:27 PM
TSRitzbitzz
post Jul 4 2018, 10:28 PM

5 posts

QUOTE(tpleong @ Jul 4 2018, 10:57 AM)
Yes, no problem for MBA.

Maybe you can think about doing research as well .
Okay thank you for that.

Research? Can you elaborate more regarding that?
Just Visiting By
post Jul 4 2018, 11:10 PM

Regular
1,828 posts

QUOTE(Ritzbitzz @ Jul 4 2018, 04:46 AM)

As the title above,
I dont feel like going into Housemanship and thinking into further my study. Im thinking into taking bussiness degree/master

Question is,
2. Any other opinion regarding alternative carreer/study pathway for medical degree holder
1. It is entirely possible but you'll have a lot of catching up to do. Plus, because you have no business degree, you'll need to find and possibly convince any potential supervisors to take you up as a student so you probably will have hard work to do. But the gist is yes it's entirely possible and I'm sure you won't be the first.

2. No. Research is one other alternative but I don't recommend it if you have no career experience.

In my honest opinion, no job is going to turn out fun. It's going to always be tons worse than what you have imagined when you studied it for degree. It's going to be the same whichever course you go for. If you like it, my advice is to find a way to stick to it by possibly embrace it. You can find a less stressful work, but if you have less passion in it, then you might not be happier and it might not be a better option.
tpleong
post Jul 5 2018, 09:34 AM

Enthusiast
795 posts

QUOTE(Ritzbitzz @ Jul 4 2018, 10:28 PM)
Okay thank you for that.

I have a relative who is head of some research institute in UK . She is a medical graduate & did her PHD in medicine subsequently. Never practise before.

How .....you got to do the research yourself . I'm not in this field but just to let you know it is possible .
shahrul09
post Jul 5 2018, 11:30 AM

Regular
1,330 posts

Alternative?

1. MBA or MHA Masters in Health Administration (MHA)/ PG Diploma in Hospital Administration (PGDHA)
This might be more appropriate for your degree. And you have to deal with admin stuff most of time.
I’m also looking into this option and hope to find a good University for this.

2. Clinical research.

3. Masters in Public Health

For college/uni , you perhaps need to ask more experience user in here.
I have no idea which one is the good place.
zeng
post Jul 5 2018, 03:18 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

QUOTE(Ritzbitzz @ Jul 4 2018, 10:27 PM)
Well it is not easy for me to enter and i have a good result in SPM all A’s and graduated the medical school successfully and with great result, and I studied in India full course where I need to do and pass the practical and One year Internship there also.
So it is not easy. Like i mentioned , I love medical and surgery , I just hate 50% of the working environment. Plus the stressful life.

I feel like if I doesn’t feel like doing the job sincerely and can potentially cause harm to patients, I should not continue with the profession and find alternative pathways plus after following+ seeing how my sister work place and how she works in Gov hospital, I do feel the reluctancy to continue with the profession.

And yes I do know many HO among my friends and other batches that already MIA and Quit.
I really feel you should not give up medicine just like that.
If you find it stressful on the clinical part of medicine, maybe you should pursue public health or research (scientist) type of job with your existing MBBS degree.

toronto6160s P
post Sep 24 2022, 07:48 PM

Probation
6 posts

Hello, I'm a year 4 medical student from local uni. I also had the same enquiry as u, do u found the alternative pathway after MBBS?

I don't know whether i can study master instead of becoming a houseman.
toronto6160s P
post Sep 24 2022, 07:54 PM

Probation
6 posts

What can u do with MBBS but did not keen on becoming clinical doctor?
Hunther
post Sep 25 2022, 04:06 PM

Casual
338 posts

QUOTE(toronto6160s @ Sep 24 2022, 07:54 PM)
What can u do with MBBS but did not keen on becoming clinical doctor?
You can do many things, but no one will hold your hand. You no longer considered elite because of your MBBS. You will become the same as other degree holder competing for the same position.

If you're interested check out medic footprints asia. They just did a summit recently on doctors intending on changing careers.

I encourage anyone not intending to pursue clinical field to join the non-clinical medical field. Clinical medicine lies on the backbone of non-clinical medicine, from public health to hospital administration. Doctors understand other doctors, which is why support from other doctors is necessary to ensure clinical medicine runs efficiently and smoothly. You can also take up PhD and go into research. Clinical medicine relies so much in evidence based research, that the result of research after going pre-clinical and clinical trials can help millions of people globally. Clinical trials is also another field. Ensure, trials are run as per the guidelines. You can take part in various government run and private run trials. You can go to conference and find the non-clinical medical field is moving so fast and collaborating with other fields. You can also go into pharma and start with sales, then move up to production manager, or you can become medical science liason, meeting important consultants in their specific fields and sharing with them the latest clinical trials on specific drugs. All are highly respected. Non-clinical and clinical are husband and wife. They are equal partners. thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by Hunther: Sep 25 2022, 04:08 PM
mirzan007
post Sep 25 2022, 04:13 PM

Casual
497 posts

Medical degree is a degree. YES you can do MBA... My friend did MBA and continue with LLB + CLP to practice in Malaysia.. Now a well known medico legal lawyer.. every Dr nightmare laugh.gif

mirzan007
post Sep 25 2022, 06:30 PM

Casual
497 posts

I ask around for you.. my doc friends recommend this site
https://medicfootprints.com.my/ its for medical graduate who wants to pursue other than clinical.. basically you are not alone..

wish you all the best
hellothere131495
post Sep 26 2022, 10:17 AM

Casual
447 posts

don't like working in hospital? how about go for phd and work in university?
toronto6160s P
post Nov 8 2022, 08:19 PM

Probation
6 posts

Can i study master in medical science without going through housemanship?
CyberSetan
post Nov 9 2022, 01:16 AM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

QUOTE(toronto6160s @ Nov 8 2022, 08:19 PM)
Can i study master in medical science without going through housemanship?
Yes. but dont call yourself a medical doctor if you dont want to get in trouble with the Malaysian Medical Council....
Just drop the 'Dr' title from your life... unless you managed to complete a PhD or decided to complete the housemanship thus getting full registration with MMC.
nicodemus88
post Nov 10 2022, 03:06 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(Ritzbitzz @ Jul 4 2018, 10:28 PM)
Okay thank you for that.

Hi! I'm someone who was once in a similar boat as you.

Yes, I think if you're still interested with the sciences but not practicing medicine, research is a field you should consider.
As mentioned by others, you can join the clinical research side - look up Clinical Research Malaysia (CRM) or other CRO's.
Or you could do the same thing as I did, take up a Masters then PhD (or if you're good enough, PhD immediately) in medical sciences research.
Things are progressing really rapidly in the research field - immunotherapy for example...
You can do something related to translational medicine for example, trying to apply outcomes from basic research to clinical practice.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further. Cheers!
xenotzu
post Nov 14 2022, 11:08 AM

Regular
1,484 posts

QUOTE(Ritzbitzz @ Jul 4 2018, 04:46 AM)

As the title above,

Question is,
This question has been asked many times in this forum in various guises. I'll repeat what I wrote before to them. If you are in a profession or job which has professional qualifications, it is probably better to go for those professional qualifications as they are more focused for that particular profession or business. They are probably more recognised or accepted than a MBA which is a general qualification. Besides, MBAs are a dime a dozen now, almost every university seems to have them. To stand out from such proliferation of MBAs, they have to be very well recognised and distinctive, and that means expensive MBAs as those universities can and will charge the earth for them.

I've known two colleagues who spent a fortune on their MBAs. One was a Nanyang Technlogical MBA and the other a Singapore Management University MBA. Both are highly ranked and some of the best in Asia. Both costs around the region of SGD70+k in all. Yet, after completing those MBAs and some years later, they haven't been able to leverage on their MBAs. In fact, they are still in the same profession and positions they were in originally. They were disappointed as they had hoped to be promoted or find a better position with the MBAs but unfortunately, they were not able to. In the end, they just accepted it and said, and this is probably more important for them, that they had learned a lot more about various subjects that they had been interested in.

The one person I know who did managed to leverage on her MBA was a friend who quit her job and took a financial loan of USD200k to study for a Wharton MBA, which is a 2 years' master. Wharton MBA is consistently ranked Top 3 in any rankings for best MBA globally. It has often overtaken Harvard's MBA as the best MBA available. After finishing her MBA, she managed to get a well paying consulting job in USA and she hopes to pay off her loan in a few years.
toronto6160s P
post Feb 27 2023, 05:01 PM

Probation
6 posts

Can you tell me more about your routine job scope? What u do in routine?

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0190sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:44 PM