Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Transitioning from traditional to digital drawing

views

TSOverlord118
post Jul 2 2018, 02:12 PM, updated 6y ago

45 posts

I been drawing using pencil for quite some time and been thinking try to draw digitally. Is the learning curve steep? I feel like drawing with eyes towards the screen and hands on the graphic tablets look so odd and hard. I am thinking of buying one where is graphic tablet usually sold? Can suggest me a good graphic tablet for beginner like me? Preferably not costly one.
internaldisputes
post Jul 2 2018, 03:21 PM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

Bamboo is a pretty affordable option and it works fine. It takes some time to get used to drawing digitally but once you go digital you will never go back to traditional, I think.

Personally, I prefer sketching on a piece of paper, scanning it and then completing the drawing digitally. But to each their own.
TSOverlord118
post Jul 2 2018, 03:56 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Jul 2 2018, 03:21 PM)
Bamboo is a pretty affordable option and it works fine. It takes some time to get used to drawing digitally but once you go digital you will never go back to traditional, I think.

Personally, I prefer sketching on a piece of paper, scanning it and then completing the drawing digitally. But to each their own.
I saw some of those high end graphic tablets with 4k UHD screen on them, awesome tool for artists rclxms.gif but the price though shocking.gif . Scanning huh never thought of that but I starting to get tired of traditional drawing. 1 mistake in colouring it RIP. My drawings are stacking up too i'd rather store them digitally than physically sweat.gif .
Lada Putih
post Jul 3 2018, 07:15 AM

Getting Started
201 posts

QUOTE(Overlord118 @ Jul 2 2018, 02:12 PM)
I been drawing using pencil for quite some time and been thinking try to draw digitally. Is the learning curve steep? I feel like drawing with eyes towards the screen and hands on the graphic tablets look so odd and hard. I am thinking of buying one where is graphic tablet usually sold? Can suggest me a good graphic tablet for beginner like me? Preferably not costly one.
wacom bamboo or artisul
learning curve is not steep
you will be experiencing the transition from looking at where your pencil is to where your cursor is
you will learn technical skill on PC when it comes to tweaking, many tutorials are available in the internet

digital drawing btw is EASY mode
since you will gain the power of CTRL-Z

So it is easy for traditional drawing to transition to digital, however it is hard to transition from digital to traditional
TSOverlord118
post Jul 3 2018, 03:05 PM

45 posts

QUOTE(Lada Putih @ Jul 3 2018, 07:15 AM)
wacom bamboo or artisul
learning curve is not steep
you will be experiencing the transition from looking at where your pencil is to where your cursor is
you will learn technical skill on PC when it comes to tweaking, many tutorials are available in the internet

digital drawing btw is EASY mode
since you will gain the power of CTRL-Z

So it is easy for traditional drawing to transition to digital, however it is hard to transition from digital to traditional
I also checked wacom intuos draw almost same in price range. Is it good or wacom bamboo better? Usually what makes a good graphic tablet? example like if phones always buy for the camera, processor, build quality etc. I am new to buying tis graphic tablet thingy. Traditional CTRL Z is eraser which can destroy teh paper laugh.gif
Lada Putih
post Jul 3 2018, 04:46 PM

Getting Started
201 posts

QUOTE(Overlord118 @ Jul 3 2018, 03:05 PM)
I also checked wacom intuos draw almost same in price range. Is it good or wacom bamboo better? Usually what makes a good graphic tablet? example like if phones always buy for the camera, processor, build quality etc. I am new to buying tis graphic tablet thingy. Traditional CTRL Z is eraser which can destroy teh paper  laugh.gif
start with the cheapest version one before you go all high over your head buddy

start with bamboo or artisul for beginners
once you are proficient with it and wish to have more performance,
then you get intuos or the like.
mowlous
post Jul 3 2018, 10:50 PM

Casual
492 posts

Try xp-pen, I also went on looking for good tablet but all the ones that malaysia offer is expensive with small surface. I got a youtube friend from SG introduce me xp-pen star 06 series, decent price, big surface with good sensitivity.Can plug or wireless. Used 6 months no issue with it. I bought and have it ship to me with no problem. Shipping price is free if I remember correctly when I buy, that was during their discount time. wait about two weeks, arrive in pristine condition.

The hand eye coordination will only take a short few hours to adjust, not difficult at all, once you are used to it its like using mouse. Unless you constantly have to look at where you move your mouse while navigating on your screen (I hope not)

XP-PEN source

I did a few months of research as well as going the entire KL search high and low for alternative brands, comparing them all and watch tons of youtube review before I made the decision to buy this out as I'm a beginner and I don't wanna spend a lot on something I"m not certain.

Well worth my money in my opinion. Huion was suppose to be my 1st choice, but the store don't deliver to malaysia, on top of that their language is chinese and the convertables only available in the US. So I pick this and never regret it.

6 months old and still counting.
TSOverlord118
post Jul 4 2018, 12:15 AM

45 posts

QUOTE(mowlous @ Jul 3 2018, 10:50 PM)
Try xp-pen, I also went on looking for good tablet but all the ones that malaysia offer is expensive with small surface. I got a youtube friend from SG introduce me xp-pen star 06 series, decent price, big surface with good sensitivity.Can plug or wireless. Used 6 months no issue with it. I bought and have it ship to me with no problem. Shipping price is free if I remember correctly when I buy, that was during their discount time. wait about two weeks, arrive in pristine condition.

The hand eye coordination will only take a short few hours to adjust, not difficult at all, once you are used to it its like using mouse. Unless you constantly have to look at where you move your mouse while navigating on your screen (I hope not)

XP-PEN source

I did a few months of research as well as going the entire KL search high and low for alternative brands, comparing them all and watch tons of youtube review before I made the decision to buy this out as I'm a beginner and I don't wanna spend a lot on something I"m not certain.

Well worth my money in my opinion. Huion was suppose to be my 1st choice, but the store don't deliver to malaysia, on top of that their language is chinese and the convertables only available in the US. So I pick this and never regret it.

6 months old and still counting.
Thanks for the suggestion will consider it biggrin.gif
KL there don't have sell those wacom brands meh?
mowlous
post Jul 4 2018, 02:53 AM

Casual
492 posts

QUOTE(Overlord118 @ Jul 4 2018, 12:15 AM)
Thanks for the suggestion will consider it  biggrin.gif
KL there don't have sell those wacom brands meh?
Got, but in general you get like half of an a4 size at the price of rm500+ .... sure wacom performance is smooth and sort of a standard( I own some old wacom models too) the problem is when you want to get bigger size for either comfort or replicate an a4 size you need to fork out a thousand+ .... too expensive if you don't have the intention to make money yet. the on screen drawing tablet is going to be 8k - 10k range.

The last I check besides few other brands the cheapest two brand not here, huion and xp-pen ..... huion is the most popular among china artist (at least I think so cause that's what it said from a few art college in china) ..... xp-pen is sort of a competitor but not as well known. Unfortunately for some reason malaysia in terms of tablet is mostly dominated by wacom brand. I suspect monopolization license by the previous gov, but a few forumers point out that its because malaysia is niche market with few to little people interested in buying such gadget since they are consider more of a luxury hobby. So in order to get the best buck for your purpose you'll have to source from outside.

As for me I value both price and performance, comparing to both wacom and xp-pen brands they perform 99% on the same level, wacom may have minor advantage, so at the end of the day the price was the determine factor to me.
Bonchi
post Jul 26 2018, 09:02 AM

KittehPowah
1,649 posts

QUOTE(Overlord118 @ Jul 2 2018, 02:12 PM)
there's this huion 1060 89usd a5 size which is worth the try. felt quite similar to an wacom intuos4 at fraction of the price.
as for learning curve, i'd say not much if you're already good with photoshop/coral paint. The feel and getting used to it is just like starting out with any new drawing tools... a few strokes is enough to get you started thumbup.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0130sec    0.60    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:59 PM