Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Registering religion for my upcoming child

views

SUSArmata
post Jul 2 2018, 10:27 AM, updated 6y ago

Casual
315 posts

Expected to due on Oct'18.

Am wondering is it possible to leave the agama/religion column as None? Unknown? or TBD?

If he felt the need to embrace a religion, i would rather he do so when he's at an older age (18 perhaps), and on the religion he want to embrace himself instead of a religion i think that would be good for him.

Is it possible to do this here in Malaysia?

Added : i was brought up a buddhist

This post has been edited by Armata: Jul 2 2018, 04:05 PM
WaCKy-Angel
post Jul 2 2018, 01:14 PM

PeACe~~
All Stars
21,509 posts

afaik if muslim have to write muslim
SUSArmata
post Jul 2 2018, 04:05 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(Khoo1 @ Jul 2 2018, 01:09 PM)
Congratulations.
Is the baby boy or girl?

If boy, write Islam can marry 3 wives and maybe join UMNO. UMNO = rich.
Just kidding.

Seriously. Congratulations.

It's a baby boy. And no, i am not a muslim. Was brought up as a buddhist. nod.gif

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Jul 2 2018, 01:14 PM)
afaik if muslim have to write muslim
was brought up a buddhist. Maybe i should edit my 1st post nod.gif
SUSArmata
post Jul 2 2018, 05:00 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(Khoo1 @ Jul 2 2018, 04:56 PM)
When wifey go for check-up ask the gynae and senior nurses.
Ask them who is experience about registration matters.
Also what are the cost for innoculation.
hmm. the doctor (gynae) doesnt look like someone who knows much about child registration...especially on matter of faith.

anyhow, it would be better if i can get in touch with someone from JPN.

My wife voiced out about risk of the child going through other complexity (read difficulty) if there's no religion attached to his card/cert. which i reckon is a valid concern.

So for the time being, will ask around through internet instead. So if you know of any, that would be great!
cdspins
post Jul 2 2018, 05:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

It is better to just follow the dad religion... unless your wife is a muslim... write something, don't left empty... don't play around with birth certificate...
You son can pick up the religion he likes when he is 18 and update his IC.
SUSArmata
post Jul 3 2018, 09:26 AM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(cdspins @ Jul 2 2018, 05:05 PM)
It is better to just follow the dad religion... unless your wife is a muslim... write something, don't left empty... don't play around with birth certificate...
You son can pick up the religion he likes when he is 18  and update his IC.

that's the thing. religion should be something that should not be compulsory. i dont want my child to have a pre-set mind that buddhism will be his core, granted he can opt out and go for other religion when he gets older. So why not just give them the freedom to do so by then.

and no bro, i dont play around..i take religion seriously..as i dont believe in them. and i can see how strong it is when someone truly belives in their religion, and willing to die for it.

but thanks for the info.

QUOTE(Khoo1 @ Jul 2 2018, 05:06 PM)
The last time I went to JPN, they want me to suap them.
I replaced my NRIC when I was 18 yet they claim I have not.
So end up I appeal and suap them a smaller amount.

Try checking their website and call them up to ask.
Or drop in and ask.

Worst case, just follow your religion first.
My Muslim friends cannot change their religion even after they had a change of faith.
So they are bound by hudud laws.

Only thing if your son is 'printed' Buddhist
then cannot marry 4 wives biggrin.gif LOL

ahh..suap them so u can put religion as blank? or change to other religion? maybe will call them ask..coz i am sure if the other party is not as open minded and know much about reality, he/she will probably freak out and rage when i tell them i want to put religion blank. How can you not believe in god?? ETC ETC etc..end up arguing pulak lol

QUOTE(Avatarchick @ Jul 2 2018, 07:48 PM)
Ur wife muslim is it?
nope. she's a buddhist like me also. nod.gif
Treepex
post Jul 3 2018, 11:46 AM

-
Group Icon
Elite
1,688 posts

i am also looking answer for this, waiting for the right answer.
SUSArmata
post Jul 3 2018, 11:46 AM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(Khoo1 @ Jul 3 2018, 11:39 AM)
The problem with my NRIC is that Govt implement smart card and I think the bank cannot scan my NRIC so had to go to PDN to renew. PDN summon for not updating at 18 which I argue I did. Date of issuance was in record yet they still .... you know they just want money.

New regime I suggest to you not to offer them.

Just ask politely if it is possible.

I understand you want your children not to be 'bounded' by a defined religion yet.
However children cannot make sound decision until a certain age.
Leaving it blank, teachers and schools may discriminate against him (because he is different)

You know in school everyday assembly recite Kepercayaan kepada Tuhan
So it may be better to just 'assign' a 'value' into the religion column of his MyKid card.
You can explain to him that when he reach X age, he can amend religion on NRIC.

I believe some content of NRIC can be change as I have seen some people added @ into their name.
I never asked so you can talk to PDN.

They may not entertain phones well so check out their office hours. Should be open on Saturdays.

Just a new thought. Try go to the Atheist thread see who keep selling atheist to everyone and ask the fellow on religion on NRIC
Atheist has no god so they wont go to hell if they do not sell the idea of atheist, yet I see them so gung ho biggrin.gif LOL
Agree, for now, it's Malaysia 2.0, told myself if the whole country can change, then i shouldnt suap as well moving forward nod.gif

Agree again. i discussed with my wife prviously and she shared the same concern as you. She's OK with the idea of our child not having a fix religion until they grow up and decide for themselves, but how would others view them, and whether will that draw retaliation.

Well on the Atheist group..they make up of all sorts..encounter rude atheist as well...but then again, each and every atheist have their own set of behaviors, being an atheist doestn conform them to a specific attitude. Though i see where some (the nicer ones) are coming from when they are being gung-ho...as we have seen how religion impact our society; where 1 religious law is being implemented, it directly (or indirectly) impact those that doesnt share the same belief.

Back to the JPN, thanks bro...will definite give them a call and see how it goes. Maybe i can update here once done.. biggrin.gif
cdspins
post Jul 4 2018, 10:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,567 posts

QUOTE(Armata @ Jul 3 2018, 09:26 AM)
that's the thing. religion should be something that should not be compulsory. i dont want my child to have a pre-set mind that buddhism will be his core, granted he can opt out and go for other religion when he gets older. So why not just give them the freedom to do so by then.

and no bro, i dont play around..i take religion seriously..as i dont believe in them. and i can see how strong it is when someone truly belives in their religion, and willing to die for it.

but thanks for the info.
ahh..suap them so u can put religion as blank? or change to other religion? maybe will call them ask..coz i am sure if the other party is not as open minded and know much about reality, he/she will probably freak out and rage when i tell them i want to put religion blank. How can you not believe in god?? ETC ETC etc..end up arguing pulak lol
nope. she's a buddhist like me also. nod.gif
All known that at birth, the child had no knowledge and cannot choose about the religion. As a matter of fact, a child cannot choose his etnitcity, gender, name... etc.
So as parents, you fill in your part of information.
The pre-set mind about your child religion does not come from what is printed on that piece of birth certificate but instead his surrounding and up-bringing from parents, grand parents, relative and friends and his own discoveries.

As a matter of fact, ones religion in birth certificate does not represent his religion later on. Some of the chinese converted to Muslim still have their birth certificate set as buddhism despite they are now Abdullahs... On norm, one cannot change his/her birth certificate.

So, in short just put in parent religion.

But anyway... you are always welcome to check it out at JPN as suggested and feed us commoner more related information thumbup.gif
SUSArmata
post Jul 4 2018, 10:36 AM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(cdspins @ Jul 4 2018, 10:15 AM)
All known that at birth, the child had no knowledge and cannot choose about the religion. As a matter of fact, a child cannot choose his etnitcity, gender, name... etc.
So as parents, you fill in your part of information.
The pre-set mind about your child religion does not come from what is printed on that piece of birth certificate but instead his surrounding and up-bringing from parents, grand parents, relative and friends and his own discoveries.

As a matter of fact, ones religion in birth certificate does not represent his religion later on. Some of the chinese converted to Muslim still have their birth certificate set as buddhism despite they are now Abdullahs... On norm, one cannot change his/her birth certificate.

So, in short just put in parent religion.

But anyway... you are always welcome to check it out at JPN as suggested and feed us commoner more related information  thumbup.gif
i know bro..i would rather have a clean slate for him instead of a pre determined mindset.

i want him to know that the universe is the limit..instead of being confined by the thinking of a few just because it was written on a piece of paper or card.

will update when i have info from JPN
SUSArmata
post Jul 20 2018, 02:01 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(Megan5111 @ Jul 18 2018, 07:13 PM)
I think you have the right not to register your baby's religion.
that's what i want to believe
but taking what my wife said into consideration, he might face additional challenges if it's not registered.
thus i guess i would take the road most taken nod.gif
RViN
post Jul 31 2018, 04:45 PM

There Is Only One United
5,779 posts

On your IC one of the valid selections for the religion field is 'TIADA AGAMA'.

So if you can do that for your IC, shouldn't be a problem for the birth certificate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/malaysia/comments/..._religion_from/
SUSArmata
post Jul 31 2018, 04:46 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(RViN @ Jul 31 2018, 04:45 PM)
On your IC one of the valid selections for the religion field is 'TIADA AGAMA'.

So if you can do that for your IC, shouldn't be a problem for the birth certificate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/malaysia/comments/..._religion_from/
damn the comments there are hilarious

ok..thanks bruh. will chck it out by then nod.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0141sec    0.54    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:32 PM