Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Android box or smartphone

views

TStanhks
post Jun 30 2018, 02:34 AM, updated 6y ago

On my way
608 posts

For android box, you can't upgrade it's Android operating system.
Example android box you bought a year ago come with Android version 6, but now (year 2018) the latest Android version is 8.1, you can't upgrade your android box's OS to latest version.

For smartphone (like htc), HTC company provide Android OS upgrade.
Smartphone you bought a year ago come with Android version 6, can be upgraded to latest Android version 8.1.

So isn't it better to use smartphone for iptv?
Some smartphone (like htc Ultra) come with display port on USB-C, and you can connect a USB-C to hdmi adapter and can output display to big LED TV.

GuyM
post Jul 3 2018, 07:42 AM

Regular
1,767 posts

Most use the box to watch movies, dramas, YouTube etc only

Hence get the latest Android OS, with stable firmware & REPUTABLE support

I've one running on 4.4.2 which is more than 3 yrs old as my primary daily driver

Still awesome
mytaffeta
post Jul 3 2018, 09:37 AM

Regular
1,311 posts

why you need to upgrade android on your box when it still running just fine?
AVFAN
post Jul 3 2018, 12:24 PM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(tanhks @ Jun 30 2018, 02:34 AM)
Example android box you bought a year ago come with Android version 6, but now (year 2018) the latest Android version is 8.1, you can't upgrade your android box's OS to latest version.
Smartphone you bought a year ago come with Android version 6, can be upgraded to latest Android version 8.1.
Some smartphone (like htc Ultra) come with display port on USB-C, and you can connect a USB-C to hdmi adapter and can output display to big LED TV.

.. phone is more costly than box.
.. box built for tv use - better for navigation, connectivity, local usb playback, video and audio quality.
.. in case of malware, it's just the box, not your phone with impt/confidential info.
.. upgrading android version may be of little use unless the box firmware is also upgraded - some boxes have no/rare firmware upgrades.

QUOTE(mytaffeta @ Jul 3 2018, 09:37 AM)
why you need to upgrade android on your box when it still running just fine?
some apps can't work or can't work well if u don't upgrade android version.
newer android version typically is faster and less prone to bugs and have improved security patches.

This post has been edited by AVFAN: Jul 3 2018, 12:29 PM
Rudd
post Jul 3 2018, 10:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,014 posts

Google Chromecast?
neocyke
post Jul 5 2018, 02:11 AM

16 posts

QUOTE(tanhks @ Jun 30 2018, 02:34 AM)

Hit n miss there brah.

1. While most cheap boxes can't be upgraded, yes.. Buuut, there are those that can. Either manual flashing or even ota for some, you do get upgraded to newer droid versions
2. Not all manufacturers update the firmware for all their fones. Buy something low enuff on the price scale, you're never ever gonna see a new droid version outside of rooting and manually flashing custom roms. Even then, not all fones have a fan/user base big enough to have dedicated devs releasing those.

Now, while using a fone (with way better specs and possibly newer droid version) is enticing, there's also issues.
Fones have only ONE usb port. Using usb hubs only work on some devices. Connecting additional devices will be a problem if that port is also your video out.
If your fone is also actively used (i.e. got line) having a call come in while watching a movie can really spoil it. No need to mention whatsapp notification of overly active groups / peeps.
Power source. Again problem with the usb port. Running too many apps WILL drain the fone battery and since usb is being used for vid out, no charging is gonna take place..
As a follow up to that, using a fone with non-replaceable battery, you will need to replace the whole fone after a while since batt use time will degrade

As droidboxes go, there's a lot more options now than previously and newer ones come with N or O out of the box with possible updates on some. Having good enough specs and not being tied to down to limitations of fones, they just make the work of choosing which one to use a no brainer. And as our fren said up there, boxes are waaaaaaayyy cheaper than an htc ultra.

So, I say, to each his own, but, really, the answer is pretty obvious though. icon_rolleyes.gif
TStanhks
post Jul 6 2018, 12:22 AM

On my way
608 posts

Use this USB-c port to hdmi adapter (model HD-500).
This adapter come with power supply, will supply power to the smartphone.
So, the smartphone get power supply from this adapter and will not use the phone battery for power supply.
It is a Microsoft product designed for windows phone, it can work on android phone too.

Some iptv's apk cannot work on android box, but can work only on smartphone (either android or Apple's ios).

This post has been edited by tanhks: Jul 6 2018, 12:32 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
neocyke
post Jul 6 2018, 10:04 AM

16 posts

Hmm.. That's a nifty lil box. Should get me one.

Though as it stands, that's added cost on top of an already expensive fone. And.. Nope. Having a fone turned on will always use the battery. Without getting into the technicalities of it, Having a charger always connected will just kill the battery faster since it's being constantly drained and charged, same like laptops.

When you say some apps won't run on boxes, you have anything specific in mind? Just asking since I've never had that problem..
AVFAN
post Jul 6 2018, 11:24 AM

20k VIP Club
All Stars
24,037 posts

QUOTE(tanhks @ Jul 6 2018, 12:22 AM)
So, the smartphone get power supply from this adapter and will not use the phone battery for power supply.
It is a Microsoft product designed for windows phone, it can work on android phone too.

Some iptv's apk cannot work on android box, but can work only on smartphone (either android or Apple's ios).
u have one of these?

much how it cost?

what apps can run on yr phone but cannot on which box?
Andrewtst
post Jul 6 2018, 11:54 AM

Forgiveness is Happiness
All Stars
28,109 posts

TV Box is mainly for watching movie in TV with easier navigation.

That why TV Box get popular.

Smartphone is troublesome to cast over TV either Chromecast, Miracast or whatever cast over. Sometimes the quality also not there or lagging when using cast method.

Upgrade do applicable to TV Box, for example Nvidia Shield, Mi Box, Apple TV 4K and etc. Even not upgrade also is not a big issue.

This post has been edited by Andrewtst: Jul 6 2018, 11:55 AM
elmodistortion
post Jul 18 2018, 11:35 AM

Casual
493 posts

Im using xbox one for kodi. So far ok. Its just sometimes its mute by itself. Restarting the apps will be ok
EarendurFefalas
post Aug 9 2018, 09:02 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(tanhks @ Jul 6 2018, 12:22 AM)

hmm.gif

Is it worth it?

I want to try but not really cheap

the price already about RM270 https://www.lazada.com.my/products/microsof...s104473951.html
TStanhks
post Aug 10 2018, 11:38 PM

On my way
608 posts

QUOTE(EarendurFefalas @ Aug 9 2018, 09:02 PM)
hmm.gif

Is it worth it?

I want to try but not really cheap

the price already about RM270 https://www.lazada.com.my/products/microsof...s104473951.html
Mercedes BMW Jaguar Audi Porsche are expensive but many people buy
Hotel Shangri-la, Le-Meridien, Mandarin-Oriental, Grand Hyatt, are expensive but many people stay.
Apple iPhone, MacBook, are expensive but many people buy too.

One of the useful of this converter is that you can bring it with you when stay in hotel,
than connect your smartphone (USB-C display port) to this converter and connect to hotel TV than can view your favourite iptv.

This post has been edited by tanhks: Aug 10 2018, 11:55 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.65    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:57 PM