> Penang resident starts petition to approve PTMP

views

SUSLumiaaa
post Jun 26 2018, 11:45 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
172 posts

user posted image

https://www.change.org/p/council-of-eminent...nd-link-highway

Driving for an hour minimum to work everyday from George Town to the Bayan Lepas Industrial Zone every morning is no fun, not to mention, unproductive. Worse still, during morning and evening peak hours, Friday evenings, public holidays or heavy rain, the worsening traffic jam on the Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway (LCE) can take more than 3 hours.

That’s only for a stretch of less than 15km, a distance that would otherwise need only 15-20 minutes. This is the life of an average Penangite living on Penang Island.

Life is not any better for workers who live in Seberang Perai, or neighbouring states, who come to Penang Island to work. Their commuting time is worse than those living on Penang Island. I have endured this horrific jam since started working more than 10 years ago.

The Penang State Govt is doing its level best to solve the severe congestion with the Penang Transport Master Plan’s two priority projects – the Bayan Lepas LRT and the Pan Island Link (PIL) Highway. The plan was derived after a Request for Proposal (open tender advertised in major dailies) was called from August 2014 until February 2015 and a Project Delivery Partner was appointed for its implementation.

The current PTMP network was adopted by the Penang State Government on 16th December 2015, after workshops and integration lab between State authorities and Federal agencies to develop a best solution to suit the State’s present and future needs.

I was pleased with the State Government’s explanation on the master plan and transparency in answering queries from the public during a townhall session, which I attended at the Dewan Bandaran Majlis Bandaraya Pulau Pinang in December 2015. I thought the State Government had done a good job and created an urgency in implementing it.

Kudos to the State Government. But unfortunately, the hurdle in realising PTMP lies not just with the previous Federal Government, which purposely delayed its implementation due to political reasons, but now attempts by NGOs self-proclaiming to represent the voice and interest of Penangites. I hereby proclaim that NGOs neither represent Penangites, nor our interests. We can speak for ourselves.

I would more than welcome a fast, efficient and reliable public transport system, like the Bayan Lepas LRT, proposed by the Penang State Government, that links the north and south of Penang Island; and a new second highway as alternative to the LCE any time.

Penangites need a solution to our traffic congestion – fast. All the talk in the world by the NGOs is not helping the situation, but making it worse.

We call on the Council of Eminent Persons and the Transport Ministry to:

Grant audience to the Penang State Government to deliver its case for PTMP.
Consider the plight of millions of Penangites suffering from traffic congestion everyday by expediting the implementation of the Bayan Lepas LRT and PIL Highway.
Not be swayed by NGOs who claim to represent Penangites and merely critiquing the PTMP without having conducted due diligence, proper studies or sound judgement.
Please join me to support the State Government to implement the PTMP with the highest urgency. #SupportPTMP

danieln
post Jun 26 2018, 11:58 PM

Regular
1,249 posts

lol.. so those in KL & selangor needs to sign how many petition to reduce the jam time?
Blofeld
post Jun 27 2018, 12:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,457 posts

Not-in-my-backyard-syndrome protests will appear soon

That day the govt wanted to build a flyover over Gottlieb Road already saw protests that the land belongs to PCGHS cannot be sacrificed for such development.
jumpercable
post Jun 27 2018, 12:11 AM

2 posts

QUOTE(danieln @ Jun 26 2018, 11:58 PM)
lol.. so those in KL & selangor needs to sign how many petition to reduce the jam time?
No need sign agreement, just impose limit on immigrants can already. And I mean local immigrants. Foreign immigrants don't have cars.

Do like China, Indonesia and Vietnam. You want to move to Klang Valley to work and live, apply for a permit/permission.

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.44    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:13 PM