Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Social as KPI, IT company

views

TShades4eve
post Jun 23 2018, 11:01 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
193 posts

I worked in a Development hub (company from a UK known company) as a software developer.

I'm more towards introvert and I only mix around with a those people that I really really comfortable with (at least) or I known them for good for a long time.

Due to I hardly wanted to social, I'm the usual target being the one that got bullied in workspace and yet I don't really bothered much about them as I'm here to work and company paid me to work.

I done my part and I completed my part and in recent Performance review, my reporting manager asked has said that my character of "introvert" is a problem.... well I worked for this company for 2 years++ and now you only telling me this?

So my manager has set "Social" having to "force" an introvert out of their comfort to join social that is not beneficial towards work. By non-beneficial I mean chat that has nothing related to work or in IT domain, just chit chat. Usual when others asked me about stuff about tech or work-related stuff, I will answer them at all I can.

By this scenario, does that making any sense for manager to set that kind of KPI? unsure.gif
Rhetoric
post Jun 23 2018, 11:12 PM

On my way
514 posts

no, depends on department my company didnt care if you introvert or extrovert. the manager himself is introvert

This post has been edited by Rhetoric: Jun 23 2018, 11:12 PM
TShades4eve
post Jun 23 2018, 11:36 PM

Getting Started
193 posts

QUOTE(Rhetoric @ Jun 23 2018, 11:12 PM)
no, depends on department my company didnt care if you introvert or extrovert. the manager himself is introvert
Apparently I'm just a dev. I communicate only if I were asked or need to ask. Outside I don't chat though.

I questioned my manager that is talking non-work-related stuff is a compulsory for work. Not that I'm doing sales or marketing.
DrZan
post Jun 25 2018, 11:14 AM

Getting Started
136 posts

Well, based on many 'top software engineering/developer job misconception' articles I've read:

One of them being it is a misconception that 'software engineers dont need to be sociable and keep to themselves'. On the contrary, a large portion of the job requires the engineer to be able to communicate well with their project team, attend meetings, and understanding client's needs; as projects is normally not a one man job.

It then also translates to your career progression, especially if you are looking for a leadership role. You may have more technical skills than your leaders, but they have more people skills & the ability to bring a team/project together (Which ultimately is slightly more valuable to a company). Also remember, you may be replaced by some fresh grad with better technical skills & willing to take lower pay this way.

My advise: try your best to be more sociable, read articles, watch videos about it. It will only do you good and help yourself in the long run!
vinoth
post Jun 25 2018, 11:17 AM

Casual
494 posts

in your case, i guess your manager is looking out for you..he wants to develop your comm skills to promote you in the future perhaps?
red_satu
post Jun 25 2018, 01:21 PM

28 posts

There was a practice in my company which requires Managers from different departments to agree with your Manager's recommendation to promote you to an Assistant Manager/Staff Engineer.

My previous boss had problems to promote some of my seniors who were a bit introverted.

Owh yeah, there is also a small portion of KPI dedicated to "Participation in company events".

Though just putting 'social' as a KPI sounds dumb, there are merits to putting strategies to get employees to participate in the company outside of their job scope.

Sam Kk
post Jun 26 2018, 02:38 PM

Getting Started
102 posts

Hi! Whether social skills should be part of your KPI or not, I won't comment on that. As a person in the working world, I can only say that in whatever capacity we may be in in an organization, we need to adapt to the organization's culture. While spending too much time on chat groups or social networks is a no no during office hours, I do believe that interaction with colleagues is a must. Not only is it part of social skills, it is also how team work can be derived through synergy and understanding of each other. While being skillful in your work is commendable, you cannot miss out on people skills too. There will be times you will need support and help from your teammates. No man is an island, I hope you are familiar with this phrase. All the best ya!
SitiNorhaliza1970
post Jun 26 2018, 03:15 PM

Getting Started
111 posts

QUOTE(vinoth @ Jun 25 2018, 11:17 AM)
in your case, i guess your manager is looking out for you..he wants to develop your comm skills to promote you in the future perhaps?
take this as a feedback to improve yourself? even if not for the company but maybe it will also help in your personal social life?
try start in joining a smaller group before moving on..
no harm to try since it won't cost a thing..good luck!!
DarkAeon
post Jun 26 2018, 03:23 PM

Enthusiast
751 posts

QUOTE(hades4eve @ Jun 23 2018, 11:36 PM)
Apparently I'm just a dev. I communicate only if I were asked or need to ask. Outside I don't chat though.

I questioned my manager that is talking non-work-related stuff is a compulsory for work. Not that I'm doing sales or marketing.
i think what your manager is getting at is, you need to build trust and relationship with your team. to build trust, u need to talk to people la

what i've learned is, you can never 'force' trust and team building via KPI. it just never works. maybe your manager is too green to realize this

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0132sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:24 PM