Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Ageism in IT software development

views

TSmemaw2
post Jun 16 2018, 10:14 AM, updated 6y ago

4 posts

Hi,

I am from non-IT degree. Very interested to venture into software development at the age of 30 years old.
But I am a little concerned here. I've heard in the U.S., ageism is pretty rampant. Developers above 35 years old has difficulty looking for jobs.

I'm wondering if the same is happening in Malaysia? Would like to hear feedback about the situation in Malaysia.

Thanks in advance.
warpig
post Jun 16 2018, 10:58 AM

Getting Started
147 posts

if u can do it all why worry.

if u cant better not as boss also see u and imagine ur future before hire
WongGei
post Jun 17 2018, 05:44 AM

Regular
1,206 posts

Software development <> programming.
I have been in this field for more than 20 years.
I started from down stream of the development such as testing and programming. Moved to upstream slowly when I gain experience.
Yes, one should not stay in programming for too many years and the current market just cannot afford that.

anti-informatic
post Jul 3 2018, 11:28 AM

Enthusiast
902 posts

So far I haven't encounter age as an issue in development field. Attitude is always the key.

Attitude refer to willingness to learn new platform & technology, willing to accept challenges/fast pace changes, have patience in dealing with problem/bugs, able to collaborate with other developers.... after all these, only we can talk about programming skill.

You see, programming skill is not what make developer is, the key that refine quality developers is the good attitude

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0141sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:29 PM