Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New user registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> really really bad FC, B14 Sentra Ga16de

Samboi
post Jun 8 2018, 04:38 PM, updated 3d ago

Group: Newbie

i know this is a topic that has been beat to death for many cars, but its beginning to irritate me. so far I've changed the fuel filter, Air filter, O2 sensor, belts, cleaned the throttle body, maf sensor, IAC, and now get worse FC than before. originally for 22l I could go 220-240km which was pretty good.

After changing all the normal maintenance parts the car feels like it runs a lot better, but for those same 22l I can only go about 160km.

i'm not sure if the float for the fuel gauge is just sticking down when i stop too quickly or something, but its not right bangwall.gif

There's no black smoke coming out the tail pipe, but i can smell petrol. now im thinking I have a fuel leak somewhere, but there arent any noticeable drips. The fuel pressure regulator is leaking a bit and I've ordered a new one.

Other than changing all the fuel lines and dropping the tank I'm not quite sure where else to look. driving back and fourth to work this week ive gone about 60ish km and used 11 litres.

Any thoughts on what it might be? I'm hoping its the regulator or a hose. I don't burn any EO or coolant. Any other B14 owners have this issue?

This post has been edited by Samboi: Jun 8 2018, 04:39 PM
mcchin
post Jun 8 2018, 05:05 PM

Σ˸3
Group: Senior Member

Brake sticking?

My old car also Not so good

Had a case of rear brake drum stuck and burnt

Nowadays feel the bearing and smothness not there
At neutral, the car glide roughly to a stop
Samboi
post Jun 8 2018, 05:08 PM

QUOTE(mcchin @ Jun 8 2018, 05:05 PM)
Brake sticking?

My old car also Not so good

Had a case of rear brake drum stuck and burnt
Nowadays feel the bearing and smothness not there
At neutral, the car glide roughly to a stop
very sure the brake isnt stuck. I usually take it out of gear when sitting on a hill in traffic and just let gravity do the work. by the bottom of the hill i put it in 3rd or 4th and keep rolling.
Jessieccy
post Jun 8 2018, 06:44 PM

Group: Junior Member

Fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel injector? Any leaks?
If the exhaust smell like fuel, that will be more of a headache since it involve the engine. Other than that I really dont know too. Even if jam it shouldn't drink fuel that fast.
Samboi
post Jun 8 2018, 11:01 PM

QUOTE(Jessieccy @ Jun 8 2018, 06:44 PM)
Fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel injector? Any leaks?
If the exhaust smell like fuel, that will be more of a headache since it involve the engine. Other than that I really dont know too. Even if jam it shouldn't drink fuel that fast.
Only leak I can see is the regulator and the only reason I know that is leaking is because I cleaned it off the other day and now it's got more residue on it. Waiting on that works come in the mail. Tomorrow going to open the fuel pump door to see if the lines there are showing signs of leaking.

I'm seriously hoping it's just the regulator. All the extra FC started after I changed the fuel filter. Maybe the extra flow was too much for it to handle

This post has been edited by Samboi: Jun 8 2018, 11:02 PM
Samboi
post Jun 18 2018, 08:57 PM

Okay just got back from a longish trip.

What I have determined.

Using 44 litres in my 50litre tank in each test. (the amount from e to full there are 6 litres past e)

With 80% city 20% highway @ around 2000-2500rpm gets me about 430km

100% highway at 110km/h @3500rpm gets me around 650km even though I was stuck in a jam for 3 hours on the way back.

Conclusion. It would be cheaper for me to live farther from my work so I can take the highway than to drive the 5km back and forth to work everyday 😂😂

Remnant_T
post Jun 19 2018, 08:15 AM

Has your FC return back to normal ? Saw u mentioned 22L only can go for 160km
Samboi
post Jun 19 2018, 11:44 AM

QUOTE(Remnant_T @ Jun 19 2018, 08:15 AM)
Has your FC return back to normal ? Saw u mentioned 22L only can go for 160km
I guess its normal, maybe? The fuel consumption is irritating me though.

If I just drive to work and back at low rpm I get about 7-9 km/l other times even less. Like I can see the fuel gauge drop as I'm driving.

The drive I just took yesterday though got me an average of 14.77 km/l even with a stop and go jam for 3 hours.

So I guess it's getting better?

will continue to monitor. Still waiting on my regulator. the last tracking update I got was that it was still in Singapore.
Remnant_T
post Jun 19 2018, 12:48 PM

QUOTE(Samboi @ Jun 19 2018, 11:44 AM)
I guess its normal, maybe? The fuel consumption is irritating me though.

If I just drive to work and back at low rpm I get about 7-9 km/l other times even less. Like I can see the fuel gauge drop as I'm driving.

The drive I just took yesterday though got me an average of 14.77 km/l even with a stop and go jam for 3 hours.

So I guess it's getting better?

will continue to monitor. Still waiting on my regulator. the last tracking update I got was that it was still in Singapore.
Hmm this is so weird...the FC shall be roughly the same, as both of the drive is like stop and go traffic, but the difference is so huge hmm.gif

Samboi
post Jun 19 2018, 04:42 PM

QUOTE(Remnant_T @ Jun 19 2018, 12:48 PM)
Hmm this is so weird...the FC shall be roughly the same, as both of the drive is like stop and go traffic, but the difference is so huge  hmm.gif
I'm thinking that it might be that at lower rpm the vacuum isn't strong enough and the FPR is giving too much fuel pressure and just wasting fuel. It's got a leak, but that would have effected it both ways if the leak were the big problem.

Only other things I think it could be are the MAF or the IAC dumping fuel when the car is idling maybe?

SilenTz_1993
post Nov 26 2018, 12:03 PM

Getting Started

Hey. I drive a B14 too and my fuel consumption is roughly 10km/L of fuel, like your earlier one.

My dad's (Toyota Unser) has a similar issue to yours - really bad FC, can smell petrol from exhaust. Been reading some guides/watching some videos and thought it could be fuel injector related. Lots of vids on YT to help with Fuel Injector IIRC, gonna watch some soon haha.

Good luck fixing your car!
Samboi
post Nov 26 2018, 02:37 PM

QUOTE(SilenTz_1993 @ Nov 26 2018, 12:03 PM)
Hey. I drive a B14 too and my fuel consumption is roughly 10km/L of fuel, like your earlier one.

My dad's (Toyota Unser) has a similar issue to yours - really bad FC, can smell petrol from exhaust. Been reading some guides/watching some videos and thought it could be fuel injector related. Lots of vids on YT to help with Fuel Injector IIRC, gonna watch some soon haha.

Good luck fixing your car!
I changed my Fuel pressure regulator and oil just recently, at the moment i am now getting about 260-280km/RM50 (this is how much i put in each time and reset the counter)

I just noticed my tires need changing though (had one blow on my last week and today noticed I could see a gash in the front one also...), so hopefully after i get that settled i get even better fc.
SilenTz_1993
post Nov 26 2018, 03:28 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Samboi @ Nov 26 2018, 02:37 PM)
I changed my Fuel pressure regulator and oil just recently, at the moment i am now getting about 260-280km/RM50 (this is how much i put in each time and reset the counter)

I just noticed my tires need changing though (had one blow on my last week and today noticed I could see a gash in the front one also...), so hopefully after i get that settled i get even better fc.
Fuel pressure regulator.. may I know how much did you pay to get this changed?

Also, what engine oil /tyres are you using at the moment? Hehe

Thrust
post Nov 27 2018, 06:33 AM

Power To The People!!!

QUOTE(Samboi @ Nov 26 2018, 02:37 PM)

You fuel consumption is doing alright. rm50 fuel only gets you about 22.7 liters of fuel. So your car is going about 11km/l which is not bad.
Samboi
post Nov 28 2018, 01:08 PM

QUOTE(SilenTz_1993 @ Nov 26 2018, 03:28 PM)
Fuel pressure regulator.. may I know how much did you pay to get this changed?

Also, what engine oil /tyres are you using at the moment? Hehe
Fuel pressure regulator I got from China through Aliexpress for roughly RM100(I think its more now because the value of the dollar went upGot From here) not sure how much a new one from Nissan is because they never contacted back, but it took so long to make it here (3 months) so they gave me a refund. Adjustable one I see online for like RM40-60 all still come from china, but you have to buy the Nissan adapter separately because most only come with the Honda one.

This one might work better because its almost facing the right way, but the return line maybe have to adjust

Then to have the mechanic change it they charged Rm25 for labor.

Had to remove the Fuel rail etc and then make a new vacuum line because the one on the new one faced the opposite direction of the original.

Its only 2 screws holding it in, but those two screws are almost impossible to get off without removing the throttle body or the fuel rail. On top of that they are very likely to be stuck so need to use an impact screwdriver or some vice grips to get them out so best to just remove the rail to get a better grip. Or you may just strip the screw head.

For Oil Now using The cheapest 5w30 "full synth" on lazada MIZU. seems okay even though it only cost RM55 with free shipping.

Tires before I changed were GOODYEAR DUCARO (If i remember right, they were 5 years and falling apart)185/65/14 I just changed on Monday to Bridgestone Nextys Ecopia 175/65/14 manufacture in Japan(second hand but almost new). still waiting to see how those affect FC.

will report back after the next time i put in petrol and run it down
SilenTz_1993
post Nov 28 2018, 02:51 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Samboi @ Nov 28 2018, 01:08 PM)
Fuel pressure regulator I got from China through Aliexpress for roughly RM100(I think its more now because the value of the dollar went upGot From here) not sure how much a new one from Nissan is because they never contacted back, but it took so long to make it here (3 months) so they gave me a refund. Adjustable one I see online for like RM40-60 all still come from china, but you have to buy the Nissan adapter separately because most only come with the Honda one.

This one might work better because its almost facing the right way, but the return line maybe have to adjust
Then to have the mechanic change it they charged Rm25 for labor.

Had to remove the Fuel rail etc and then make a new vacuum line because the one on the new one faced the opposite direction of the original.

Its only 2 screws holding it in, but those two screws are almost impossible to get off without removing the throttle body or the fuel rail. On top of that they are very likely to be stuck so need to use an impact screwdriver or some vice grips to get them out so best to just remove the rail to get a better grip. Or you may just strip the screw head.
For Oil Now using The cheapest 5w30 "full synth" on lazada MIZU. seems okay even though it only cost RM55 with free shipping.

Tires before I changed were GOODYEAR DUCARO (If i remember right, they were 5 years and falling apart)185/65/14 I just changed on Monday to Bridgestone Nextys Ecopia 175/65/14 manufacture in Japan(second hand but almost new). still waiting to see how those affect FC.

will report back after the next time i put in petrol and run it down
Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it after I change my sparkplugs, hopefully it'll fix my rough idling issues at the moment!

I'm using Mizu 10w40 now semi syn. Might change to full syn to try it out again soon.. Mechanic recommended me to use semi synthetic since engine a bit old already will makan oil. How is your engine doing with 5w30?
Samboi
post Nov 28 2018, 03:04 PM

QUOTE(SilenTz_1993 @ Nov 28 2018, 02:51 PM)
Thanks for the link. I'll have a look at it after I change my sparkplugs, hopefully it'll fix my rough idling issues at the moment!

I'm using Mizu 10w40 now semi syn. Might change to full syn to try it out again soon.. Mechanic recommended me to use semi synthetic since engine a bit old already will makan oil. How is your engine doing with 5w30?
will have to check again, but im not leaking or burning any oil last i checked.

Your rough idle could be a few things. Changing the oil helped my car to not stall anymore when i press in the clutch, but mechanic told me before my idle air control is going bad. that part is a few hundred but easy to change. only 2 screws.

spark plugs i havent done still. mostly sick of having to buy a new tool each time i change something. like when I changed the O2 sensor. Now I have a socket for a part that only needs changed like 2-3 times ever.

No idea where to get a cap and rotar here for distributor. I'm still not used to not having an auto parts store that has everything for every car.
Jason
post Nov 30 2018, 06:32 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Samboi @ Jun 18 2018, 08:57 PM)
Okay just got back from a longish trip.

What I have determined.

Using 44 litres in my 50litre tank  in each test. (the amount from e to full there are 6 litres past e)

With 80% city 20% highway @ around 2000-2500rpm gets me about 430km

100% highway at 110km/h @3500rpm gets me around 650km even though I was stuck in a jam for 3 hours on the way back.

Conclusion. It would be cheaper for me to live farther from my work so I can take the highway than to drive the 5km back and forth to work everyday 😂😂
Based on this I can tell you there’s absolutely no problem with your car. Serious.

Samboi
post Dec 5 2018, 05:47 PM

QUOTE(Jason @ Nov 30 2018, 06:32 AM)
Based on this I can tell you there’s absolutely no problem with your car. Serious.
the differences in FC were a bit ridiculous to me. But doing standard maintenance actually helped boost my FC by a lot compared to when I first posted. average fc is now around 260km/RM50(half tankish) in the tank with 80% city 20% highway driving so about 520km/tank if i double it.
dylan_chng
post Dec 5 2018, 07:39 PM

Getting Started

10 km/l should be possible.

Check tyres pressure, check O2 sensor, check throttle body, check ECU connections, check gaskets, check for unnecessary weight

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0797sec    1.51    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 10th December 2018 - 04:18 AM