Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Why is Mazda 2 resale value so high?, Compared to Toyota Vios

views

TSchriskk
post May 26 2018, 01:58 AM, updated 6y ago

21 posts

Hi guys. I need some advice regarding resale value of 2 year old Mazda 2.
It's always been common knowledge that the resale value of Mazda is lower than more popular cars (eg Toyota & Honda). But I've been checking the prices on carlist & mudah, and I can't understand why the price listed there are so high.

Numbers below taken from listings in carlist.com for comparison:
On average, a 2016 Mazda 2 (high spec) is listed at RM78k. That's a depreciation of only 15% from the original RM91k price.
In contrast, a 2016 Toyota Vios 1.5-G average listing price is RM63k. That's a depreciation of 30% from the original RM90k price.

Further investigation shows the market value of the 2 year old Mazda (62k) vs Vios (RM59k). This shows that the dealers are hiking the resale price of the Mazda unreasonably compared to Vios.

Is this normal? Can anyone advice why this is happening? I haven't got the time to check other Mazda models to see if same case is happening.
It's also quite interesting to see that the market value of the used Mazda is actually higher than Vios.

This post has been edited by chriskk: May 26 2018, 01:58 AM
matrix88
post May 26 2018, 02:10 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,098 posts

mazda 2 will never be higher priced than Toyota Vios.
ZooK
post May 26 2018, 10:37 AM

Getting Started
94 posts

Old listings perhaps?
Anyways, buyers market now. Call them and offer your price instead. They might just match it.

I was just calling up a few mazda showrooms this morning to test mazda 2 and 3, but apparently mazda 2 nomore testdrive car. And showrooms all dont have mazda 3 unless you book test drive in advanced.
Effy92
post May 26 2018, 12:31 PM

Getting Started
294 posts

Because of the new Kodo design langguage. The kodo Mazda gets major makeover inside out. Not to mention the new skyactiv engine.

This post has been edited by Effy92: May 26 2018, 12:39 PM
Vervain
post May 26 2018, 07:18 PM

Scathach
5,458 posts

because of demand and supply. there are plenty of 2nd hand vios to cater for the market demand unlike m2. in terms of looks m2 has a bbit of continental feel which gives them a edge. wait for another 2 years you will see m2 drop below vios. at those age, the dealers will want to quickly get them off before forking out large amount of maintenance cost
seng mah
post May 28 2018, 11:45 PM

14 posts

Mazda car is not popular in Malaysia, impossible Mazda resale value is better than vios
Quang1819
post May 30 2018, 12:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,603 posts

To be honest its worth every single penny that it is more pricey than Vios.

Interior wise its much more premium, much lesser hard/cheap plastics, a lot of soft touches and genuine leather can be found at some spots.
Performance wise, output Mazda2 is better, more fuel efficient and paddle shifter is a great plus for a B-segment
Exterior is very subjective. But for high spec you get a much better looking LED headlamp with DRL.
ZeneticX
post May 30 2018, 12:37 AM

stars for what
All Stars
11,768 posts

QUOTE(seng mah @ May 28 2018, 11:45 PM)
Mazda car is not popular in Malaysia, impossible Mazda resale value is better than vios
not popular? i can spot mazda everywhere now

EnergyAnalyst
post May 30 2018, 08:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,273 posts

Because Mazda Anshin is in the game. A look on their website show Mazda 2 are all sold out with indicative price of RM75,300

Top mark on the other hand still show two units unsold at 67,800 to 72,800 each.

If that is how these two big players are setting prices. Other dealers will follow suit to set price such way.

Moreover, since Mazda 2 are technically CBU while VIOS is CKD, CBU should fetch higher prices because they are more rare and lesser in supply

There are only 2,166 Mazda 2 registered as at 1H2016

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carlist.my...cx-3/35979/amp/

This post has been edited by EnergyAnalyst: May 30 2018, 08:26 AM
lockheed90
post May 30 2018, 10:35 AM

Getting Started
271 posts

QUOTE(seng mah @ May 28 2018, 11:45 PM)
I beg to differ. Nowadays there are many Mazda's on the road as compared to Toyota.
Kilohertz
post May 30 2018, 11:09 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,172 posts

Mazda 2 definitely has a premium feel to it, especially when you are behind the wheels..
b0rhui
post May 30 2018, 01:39 PM

On my way
677 posts

QUOTE(Quang1819 @ May 30 2018, 12:18 AM)
To be honest its worth every single penny that it is more pricey than Vios.

Interior wise its much more premium, much lesser hard/cheap plastics, a lot of soft touches and genuine leather can be found at some spots.
Performance wise, output Mazda2 is better, more fuel efficient and paddle shifter is a great plus for a B-segment
Exterior is very subjective. But for high spec you get a much better looking LED headlamp with DRL.
Correct. Not just the interior but also it is advertised as a fun to drive around car. Go for a test drive and you'll understand.

Resale value of Mazda has risen a lot. Feel free to compare the resale value of CRV vs CX5.

Who still consider to buy Vios these days? I'd only compare City with Mazda 2
lsm1991
post May 30 2018, 02:19 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

buyers market now... you can advertise at whatever price you want, whether or not someone actually buys your car is a completely different story.

also keep in mind, there were certain batches of vioses that were sold cheaply (last gen of a particular model)
Quang1819
post May 30 2018, 02:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,603 posts

QUOTE(b0rhui @ May 30 2018, 01:39 PM)
Correct. Not just the interior but also it is advertised as a fun to drive around car. Go for a test drive and you'll understand.

Resale value of Mazda has risen a lot. Feel free to compare the resale value of CRV vs CX5.

In term of driving experience, there are no cars comparable with Mazda in the same segments.

I've driven Elantra Turbo and Mazda 3 GVC and It's just so much different and heck I felt acceleration is better in Mazda 3 lol
jacobngen87
post May 30 2018, 02:58 PM

2 posts

Japanese cars always have the highest RV followed by Korean, Continental, French and lastly Proton

Even Perodua aka Toyota has one of the highest RV in Msia

TSchriskk
post Jun 10 2018, 07:21 PM

21 posts

QUOTE(b0rhui @ May 30 2018, 01:39 PM)

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely agree that Mazda gives one of the best driving dynamics out there and the KODO design is also easily one of the most attractive, but I am unable to accept these as factors to the high RV. This is a B-segment model we're discussing, not a premium car (c-segment or above) where a lower depreciation value makes more sense. Naturally, i would compare it only with b-segment models where the RV mostly depends on the age, mileage, specs and demand. And for everyone's info, I not only compared it with Vios, i made the same trend study with City, Jazz & Peugeot 208 using only the listed price in carlist+mudah. The results is as i previously mentioned - only Mazda is having a surprisingly low 3-year depreciation in the B-segment models (the numbers for City & Jazz is mostly similar to Vios).

Just like any other car manufacturer, there are pros and cons to their own model. Toyota might not have advance technology nor a fun driving experience, but no one would dare to argue the reliability of their engine. The exterior build quality and interior+boot space of Honda City trumps its many of its competitors. I can go on with other automakers, but my point is that each manufacture have a target group in which they focus their qualities on when it comes to marketing their product. Therefore, I disagree in using "driving experience or certain positive qualities of a car" to justify its pricing when doing a comparison with other models of the equivalent specs. That is unless it is a known big problem (such as the gearbox problem of some of the older Peugeots - my trend study of Peugeot 208 shows depreciation of >50% within 3 years).

QUOTE(EnergyAnalyst @ May 30 2018, 08:16 AM)
Because Mazda Anshin is in the game. A look on their website show Mazda 2 are all sold out with indicative price of RM75,300

Top mark on the other hand still show two units unsold at 67,800 to 72,800 each.

If that is how these two big players  are setting prices. Other dealers will follow suit to set price such way.

Moreover, since Mazda 2 are technically CBU while VIOS is CKD, CBU should fetch higher prices because they are more rare and lesser in supply
There are only 2,166 Mazda 2 registered as at 1H2016

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carlist.my...cx-3/35979/amp/
The point made by @EnergyAnalyst makes more sense as to the reason behind this entire topic. As mentioned by @Ism1991 as well, at the end of the day, the price is set by the seller/dealers and it is our choice whether to buy the car or not. But I think it's a good exercise and an advantage to us as consumers to question and consider the factors that push a car's value outside its normal range (both high or lower).

Cheers & thanks again to all who put up their opinions (we can still agree to disagree rclxms.gif )
sherilynlee
post Jun 26 2020, 12:12 AM

4 posts

Hi Mazda 2 peeps,

My 2011 Mazda 2 original built-in GPS (came with the car) can't function, I brought to the accessory shop he said he can't fix it, I'd need to bring to Mazda workshop to update the memory card.

Anyone knows how much it would cost, or any cheaper way to get the memory card updated?

Currently the radio and CD player can be used, just that the GPS function can't be used. It says a memory card update is needed . Anyone facing a similar problem?

Hope someone in this forum knows how to do this, thanks in advance and much appreciated 😊🙏🏻

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0124sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:56 AM