Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Keto Diet (where to find fatty foods?), The 'expensive' diet

views

TSdaijoubu
post May 22 2018, 09:46 AM, updated 6y ago

Love Many. Trust Few. Do Wrong to None.
5,186 posts

So I've recently started my journey to Ketosis by overhauling my diet to follow the Keto diet.
Initially it goes against the logic and norm we are brought up with, but 2 weeks in and I've experienced some weight loss:

Start
Weight: 78.5kg
Fat %: 27.0%

After 14 days
Weight: 75.0kg
Fat %: 25.0%

And I've been basically trying to adjust my intake to 70% fat, 25% protein and as little carbs as possible.
However the difficulty I'm facing now is to put variety into my food whilst maintaining the fat %, and at same time not blow my budget.

Now I usually eat:

Meals:
- Fatty meat (lamb/pork), cooked with as little gravy as possible
- Lots of streaky bacon (cured with as little sugar as possible)
- Salmon and other fatty fishes from cans (herring/sardines/tuna in olive oil)
- Economy rice (without rice, just mainly pork and vege)

Snacks:
- Cheese (real proper cheese blocks)
- Nuts (macadamia, groundnut, etc)
- Eggs (cooked with butter and cheese)

As you can see it isn't much variety, and it does get repetitive.
On one end eating at economy rice store is the cheapest option, but the choices are quite low because a lot of them are cooked with gravy which you do not know whether it contains flour/starch or sugar.
Eating healthier option such as pork steak or salmon is usually expensive sad.gif.

Anyone doing similar diet can share with me your diet plan and where you find food outside that are Keto friendly?
JK-Rai
post May 22 2018, 10:04 AM

37 posts

Start
Weight: 93kg
Fat %: didn't measure

Now
Weight: 82 kg
Fat %: 30.0%

Just to share what i did.
1. day 1 - 5 water fasting
2. day 6 gf bday have to eat if not gg. ate beef.... worst choice to break a 5 day water fast. i muntah white lump of fat like vaseline in day 6-7.
3. day 7 egg fast 8 eggs 4 tbps butter
4. day 8 egg fast 12 eggs 6 tbps butter
5. day 9 egg + salmon and chorizo sausages
6. day 10 one avocado + egg + salmon
7. day 11 economy rice - water egg and fried egg and steam pork
8. after this i nv track already.... just eat as less carb as possible also eat avocado as snack. is around rm 5 each.

my snack:
1. macadamia
2. almond
3. avocado
4. avocado mashed with lemon and egg
5. almond flour bread home bake (gooding with avocado mash to act as egg mayo bread)

2 weeks later...

now i go back to normal diet but in deficit cause i workout no energy.
TSdaijoubu
post May 22 2018, 10:08 AM

Love Many. Trust Few. Do Wrong to None.
5,186 posts

QUOTE(JK-Rai @ May 22 2018, 10:04 AM)
Start
Weight: 93kg
Fat %: didn't measure

Now
Weight: 82 kg
Fat %: 30.0%

Just to share what i did.
1. day 1 - 5 water fasting
2. day 6 gf bday have to eat if not gg. ate beef.... worst choice to break a 5 day water fast. i muntah white lump of fat like vaseline in day 6-7.
3. day 7 egg fast 8 eggs 4 tbps butter
4. day 8 egg fast 12 eggs 6 tbps butter
5. day 9 egg + salmon and chorizo sausages
6. day 10 one avocado + egg + salmon
7. day 11 economy rice - water egg and fried egg and steam pork
8. after this i nv track already.... just eat as less carb as possible also eat avocado as snack. is around rm 5 each.

my snack:
1. macadamia
2. almond
3. avocado
4. avocado mashed with lemon and egg
5. almond flour bread home bake (gooding with avocado mash to act as egg mayo bread)

2 weeks later...

now i go back to normal diet but in deficit cause i workout no energy.
Hey man! Whoa 5 day water fast is extreme! The 6th day timing is really bad though laugh.gif but I get what you mean. GF bday, things could've been worse tongue.gif.

If keto is your target, I think you will find it hard to enter ketosis from your diet because your protein intake is quite high. Adding more fatty meat may help.
All the best!
JK-Rai
post May 22 2018, 10:22 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(daijoubu @ May 22 2018, 10:08 AM)
Hey man! Whoa 5 day water fast is extreme! The 6th day timing is really bad though laugh.gif but I get what you mean. GF bday, things could've been worse tongue.gif.

If keto is your target, I think you will find it hard to enter ketosis from your diet because your protein intake is quite high. Adding more fatty meat may help.
All the best!

the egg and salmon i cook with alot of butter/oil. also i eat avocado as snacks to increase the fat intake.
unclemike
post May 22 2018, 11:37 AM

On my way
538 posts

Every-time I decide to go on Keto Diet, I can only sustain for about 3 months. It's not sustainable in the long run as well, we are in Malaysia after all.

Cheapest way is still to cook your own meal. and IMHO, this diet can get pretty expensive. During my 3 months keto diet, I mostly eat eggs, butter, almonds, beef bacon, peanuts, vege. same shit everyday. low carb, low protein, high fat.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0227sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:48 PM