Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Sigma Vs Canon, Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX DG HSM or Canon STM 1.

views

TSPost-Je-Ape-Ape
post May 22 2018, 09:25 AM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
221 posts

Hi All, just would like to know if you guys have used either one of these lenses. How do they fare up to each other?

Autofocus speed and accuracy?

Is it really worth the extra cost to step up to the sigma just for the added bokeh? And a slightly faster lens?
mingyuyu
post May 22 2018, 03:59 PM

B A N N E D
Group Icon
Elite
3,248 posts

QUOTE(Post-Je-Ape-Ape @ May 22 2018, 09:25 AM)
Hi All, just would like to know if you guys have used either one of these lenses. How do they fare up to each other?

Autofocus speed and accuracy?

Is it really worth the extra cost to step up to the sigma just for the added bokeh? And a slightly faster lens?
i used both before, and i personally would recommend the Canon. its cheaper, lighter and has good enough image quality.

Not to say the sigma is a bad lens, but the design is kinda dated and it is a lot bigger/ heaver with slightly faster aperture only. also being older sigmas, there are chances that you will be fighting with back/front focusing and it is super frustrating.
TSPost-Je-Ape-Ape
post May 22 2018, 07:24 PM

Getting Started
221 posts

QUOTE(mingyuyu @ May 22 2018, 03:59 PM)
i used both before, and i personally would recommend the Canon. its cheaper, lighter and has good enough image quality.

Not to say the sigma is a bad lens, but the design is kinda dated and it is a lot bigger/ heaver with slightly faster aperture only. also being older sigmas, there are chances that you will be fighting with back/front focusing and it is super frustrating.
Oh gosh, yes I heard about the AF issues. It's always a hit and miss. ART version Improved this I hear. But that'll blow my budget.

I used the canon 1.8 ii before, and build quality wise, not so nice. At least it focusing speed is real fine.

How about the canon 50mm 1.4?
many says it's old, and really bad build and one fragile piece of
glass.

Or do you have any lens to recommend?
mingyuyu
post May 24 2018, 11:51 AM

B A N N E D
Group Icon
Elite
3,248 posts

QUOTE(Post-Je-Ape-Ape @ May 22 2018, 07:24 PM)
Oh gosh, yes I heard about the AF issues. It's always a hit and miss. ART version Improved this I hear. But that'll blow my budget.

I used the canon 1.8 ii before, and build quality wise, not so nice. At least it focusing speed is real fine.

How about the canon 50mm 1.4?
many says it's old, and really bad build and one fragile piece of
glass.

Or do you have any lens to recommend?
i owned the 50mm f1.4, it is basically unusable at f1.4 if you shoot anything far (around infinity focus), the image is way too soft and it makes you think if it even focused at the first place. but the image quality is acceptable if you shoot mostly portraits (anything from half body length to close up).

build quality wise it is quite plasticky, basically any older canon lens (non L ones) have really cheap build, so the 50mm STM is actually better.
TSPost-Je-Ape-Ape
post May 25 2018, 11:53 PM

Getting Started
221 posts

QUOTE(mingyuyu @ May 24 2018, 11:51 AM)
i owned the 50mm f1.4, it is basically unusable at f1.4 if you shoot anything far (around infinity focus), the image is way too soft and it makes you think if it even focused at the first place. but the image quality is acceptable if you shoot mostly portraits (anything from half body length to close up).

build quality wise it is quite plasticky, basically any older canon lens (non L ones) have really cheap build, so the 50mm STM is actually better.
Alright awesome! Thanks for your input!
Michaelbyz23
post May 28 2018, 10:12 PM

Sarawak Maju Makmur
4,541 posts

Ive owned both sigma 50mm f1.4 (still owning), canon 50mm f1.4.
Love the 50mm f1.4 and wins hands down over the Canon version.

DO note that I have the old version Sigma 50mm f1.4
Sharp, fast focus, quiet. I have calibrated this lens with my 5dmarkiii at sigma center before smile.gif
goldfries
post May 28 2018, 11:01 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

The Sigma 50 1.4 is supposedly the better lens but with that great big IF you don't get lemon copy.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0109sec    0.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:51 PM