Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

New guy here

views

TSwallacetan
post May 18 2018, 12:01 AM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
55 posts

Hi guys, I have been messing around Linux for the past 8 months. Didn't really search anything like "linux malaysia community" until now.

hi Linux community in Malaysia.

This post has been edited by wallacetan: May 18 2018, 08:26 AM
xboxrockers
post May 28 2018, 01:18 AM

On my way
661 posts

hi what are you trying to achieve with the community ??
System Error Message
post Aug 9 2018, 07:38 PM

Regular
1,781 posts

Welcome to the very quiet section of malaysia, not many linux users.

QUOTE(xboxrockers @ May 28 2018, 01:18 AM)
hi what are you trying to achieve with the community ??
theres no such thing as what are you trying to achieve with the community, this isnt a business, or a cult or so on. This is just a community of people who all use linux, does one need another reason to be here?
peac3
post Aug 13 2018, 11:35 PM

Getting Started
73 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ Aug 9 2018, 07:38 PM)
Welcome to the very quiet section of malaysia, not many linux users.
theres no such thing as what are you trying to achieve with the community, this isnt a business, or a cult or so on. This is just a community of people who all use linux, does one need another reason to be here?
there are quite a significant amount of Linux users - just that they are not registered and do what they want, when they want, whenever they want... and since there is no reason for most of them to lurk in a forum like this nowadays when:
1) Can go make stuff or experiment stuff on their raspberry pi
2) play with 3d printing or drone
3) build own router
4) play steam games on Linux
5) learn blockchain and build a platformmm and funding and startup and profit....
and the list goes on and on and on...
rickjiaren
post Jan 21 2019, 02:31 PM

3 posts

I notice that some of the games in stream is unplayable in Linux. why is that a thing? Is the os not compatible for most of the games?
apogee
post Apr 18 2019, 02:49 PM

20 posts

QUOTE(peac3 @ Aug 13 2018, 11:35 PM)
there are quite a significant amount of Linux users - just that they are not registered and do what they want, when they want, whenever they want... and since there is no reason for most of them to lurk in a forum like this nowadays when:
1) Can go make stuff or experiment stuff on their raspberry pi
2) play with 3d printing or drone
3) build own router
4) play steam games on Linux
5) learn blockchain and build a platformmm and funding and startup and profit....
and the list goes on and on and on...
indeed... busy coding biggrin.gif
Jester101 P
post May 7 2019, 03:10 PM

Probation
9 posts

QUOTE(rickjiaren @ Jan 21 2019, 02:31 PM)
I notice that some of the games in stream is unplayable in Linux. why is that a thing? Is the os not compatible for most of the games?
Linux is not for gaming.
apogee
post May 7 2019, 03:28 PM

20 posts

If you're talking about Steam in Linux. You may watch this video. https://youtu.be/IWJUphbYnpg

Lord Tiki Mick
post May 14 2019, 10:37 AM

Regular
1,018 posts

QUOTE(rickjiaren @ Jan 21 2019, 02:31 PM)
Windows and Linux uses different kernels. The games mostly developed for Windows, hence not playable on Linux.
Halcyonu
post Aug 17 2019, 07:49 PM

18 posts

another new guy.

I have determined to switch to Linux on my new laptop (to get the end of this month).

Saying no to redundant and slow Windows for professional use requires courage, but keeping using Windows all the time requires courage for life.

As for first Linux distribution for beginner, which one do you recommend? Ubuntu?
alexa
post Aug 17 2019, 11:37 PM

Big Boss
1,456 posts

QUOTE(Halcyonu @ Aug 17 2019, 07:49 PM)
another new guy.

I have determined to switch to Linux on my new laptop (to get the end of this month).

Saying no to redundant and slow Windows for professional use requires courage, but keeping using Windows all the time requires courage for life.

As for first Linux distribution for beginner, which one do you recommend? Ubuntu?
thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif
the18th
post Aug 18 2019, 10:49 PM

42 posts

I use Mint for desktop and Centos for server.
xboxrockers
post Aug 22 2019, 04:37 AM

On my way
661 posts

QUOTE(Halcyonu @ Aug 17 2019, 07:49 PM)
another new guy.

Ubuntu will be easy for you to start, it has lot of guides online and most easiest to install an application.
Halcyonu
post Aug 22 2019, 07:26 AM

18 posts

QUOTE(xboxrockers @ Aug 22 2019, 04:37 AM)
Ubuntu will be easy for you to start, it has lot of guides online and most easiest to install an application.
got it, thanks!
4Z7
post Aug 29 2019, 12:30 PM

Getting Started
74 posts

For a start, you can use virtualbox and Ubuntu iso to mess around without the need of installing it. Just to get a feel of it and see if it suites your taste.

Then you can explore on some diy project using Linux (e.g. media center), plenty of tutorials online.
maxtor1
post Jun 21 2020, 12:33 AM

Enthusiast
945 posts

Hi all, i am New in linux after 10 years did not play linux.
suddenly begin linux with Pop OS 20.04.

and formatted my pc over 20 times trying others Distro such as, ubuntu, kubuntu, manjaro, mx linux, kali linux, Arch, and many more... because don't know how to upgrade, thats why keep format..

at last i am back to
Main PC: dual boot Windows 10 Pro and Pop OS
Another PC is Kali Linux...
and Laptop is Pop OS.

everything run smoothly, after watch many manys youtube video. and my typing skill also improved.. alot faster and feel like hacker.. haha

only problem i still can't fix is scanner don't work. thats why i still keep windows 10 for scan document.
Game on linux is also difficult, not all games will place, have to refer to protondb.com
i begin to switch to Linux from MCO begin. facing malware, trojan, spyware, virus, randomsome.... even watch youtube can attact by 10's trojan attack.

so i found linux has even better for my daily work. entertaintment, surf net... and very fast.

love it so much

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0160sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:39 AM