Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Strength training for athletic performance, for a noob?

views

TSKidicarus
post May 17 2018, 05:05 PM, updated 6y ago

Enthusiast
Group Icon
VIP
727 posts

I've read through most of the stickies and most of it appears to be focused mostly on looking good and bodybuilding and very little for improving athletic performance, so i was just wondering if there was anyone in here with that type of specific experience.

A bit about myself:

H:182cm
W:93kg

yeah so I'm on the wrong end of the BMI scale... My current workout regime involves:

Swimming: Mon, Wed, Fri (currently about 50mins swimming about 1700m)
Weights: Tue, Thu, Sunday (mornings)
Running: Tue, Thu, Saturday (Doing a couch to 5k programme and running 28mins without stopping atm, mostly evening except saturday)-also committed to a 10k run in 2 months)

My main objectives right now are increasing my endurance base and developing a stronger core/muscles that will help with running and swimming. I've been doing this for about 2.5 months now and trying to improve the type of training i do in the gym because mostly i was just doing random exercises without a real aim/purpose. Then about 3 weeks ago someone at the gym asked me to try doing some compound exercises and thats when I stumbled onto the starting strength stuff as in the stickies above.

I think, I should be past the adaptation stage of learning proper form for the noob strength exercises, (A: squats, Bench Press, Deadlift; B: squats, overhead press, rows - all 3x5 except for deadlift 1x5).

So the questions are:

1. Am i trying to do too much? Should i cut down on gym days?
2. How heavy should i be lifting?
3. Should i get a personal trainer if i don't have a training partner, if yes, then what type of trainer? (the stickies are great but they're not very helpful in assessing my form and i really want to avoid getting any serious injuries)

Everdying
post May 18 2018, 10:52 AM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

the workout seems fine.
since u obviously plan to run more, just run more and cut down on the swimming?
can also add on extra day/s for weights...

how heavy? trial and error...progressive overload.

i wouldnt bother with a trainer...but if u think it can help u...no harm trying out for a month or so.
zstan
post May 18 2018, 10:55 AM

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

Can try your running on treadmill and put it at maximum elevation.
TSKidicarus
post May 18 2018, 12:42 PM

Enthusiast
Group Icon
VIP
727 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ May 18 2018, 10:52 AM)
the workout seems fine.
since u obviously plan to run more, just run more and cut down on the swimming?
can also add on extra day/s for weights...

how heavy? trial and error...progressive overload.

i wouldnt bother with a trainer...but if u think it can help u...no harm trying out for a month or so.
Thanks for the feedback!

Haha, quite reluctant to give up on the swimming as it is pretty awesome burning about 700 kcal per session and helping to build endurance on the running V02max etc. Also, I'm getting quite a bit of novice gains atm and I'm feeling strong enough to try to progress towards doing participating in triathlons in the future. I definitely enjoy the swimming more than the lifting lol.

In terms of adding extra days for weights.. don't you need proper recovery time for growth? In terms of heavyness, still noob and learning proper form so squats are at 70lbs, bench is 50lbs, deadlifts are at 70lbs so i think i still have a long way to go before i reach my current potential. I was reading some random online article that what i should be aiming for is 80% of my max 1 rep weight, but that figure seems difficult to assess..

Everdying
post May 18 2018, 06:19 PM

Two is One and One is None.
Group Icon
Staff
30,688 posts

well, ur not exactly pushing urself with the weights yet...so no harm adding extra days.
80% of 1rm is generally for 5x5 iirc...so again, trial and error...so just start by picking a beginner program like stronglift.

TSKidicarus
post May 21 2018, 01:01 PM

Enthusiast
Group Icon
VIP
727 posts

QUOTE(Everdying @ May 18 2018, 06:19 PM)
well, ur not exactly pushing urself with the weights yet...so no harm adding extra days.
80% of 1rm is generally for 5x5 iirc...so again, trial and error...so just start by picking a beginner program like stronglift.
Thanks. Googled stronglifts and found myself another rabbit hole to get lost in. Spreadsheet is easy for tracking too.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0104sec    0.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:08 AM