Laptop stays shutting down unless i disable GPU

views

TSAyer
post May 16 2018, 12:05 PM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
188 posts

A continuation from this thread posted in /kopitiam sxn

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4577161

well, i manage to pinpoint the most likely cause now and its the display adapter (GPU), having both and even only one of them (dedicated Nvidia & integrated Intel GPU) running will trigger shutting down as if the power turned off and it restart on its own. Found this out when i try to enable the display adapters via Device Manager in Safe Mode and holy heck, Safe Mode crash for the first time.

The steps i've taken so far but been rendered well, ineffective:

- cleaned the fan and reapplied thermal paste
- system restore to two different points
- updated the driver for both Nvidia and Intel integrated GPU
- the suggestions posted in the above thread
- updating the BIOS failed, stuck at EZ flash and it just wont load

Still think this is hardware/software problem not sure anymore, afraid if factory reset mana tau actually hardware issue and in the process the shutdown trigger, even though so far the crash only happen within windows/logon screen whenever im doing something. leaving idle no problem

Maybe im just waiting confirmation from others at this point X.X
TSAyer
post May 17 2018, 06:42 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(System Error Message @ May 16 2018, 12:45 PM)
although you've found your problem, as a temporary fix you can use throttlestop, that itself lets you tweak the intel CPU.
tried tweaking around with the software, could just be placebo but it felt like the shutdown trigger aint as frequent as used to, but still occur

QUOTE(samftrmd @ May 16 2018, 01:15 PM)

preciate the info, but new update might point to GPU issue

QUOTE(ihavenoidea @ May 16 2018, 09:45 PM)

the option you could try is to use nvidia inspector and see if you could underclock the gpu, might be able to make it stable to be use. else delete the nvidia driver in safe mode, then disable it in device manager when you load to windows
alright

but it baffling too much that it's occuring for both IGPU and the dedicated, i thought since the hardware is different hence it's not entirely Nvidia gpu fault

TSAyer
post May 17 2018, 06:43 AM

Getting Started
188 posts

QUOTE(mashimarow @ May 16 2018, 04:42 PM)
I might suggest you reformat the laptop and install back all the default drivers from Acer only.

Suspect the old laptop kong already
QUOTE(WebWalker @ May 17 2018, 06:04 AM)
You might having faulty graphic chip but you can try to backup all your data and "factory reset" ....
using Asus one, model UX32VD but Asus website for the particular model only points to BIOS driver for Win 10 [Others] discontinued driver support dyy

factory reset def be my last resort, backing up all data now for now but before that gonna try all the posted suggestions

QUOTE(matthew1981 @ May 16 2018, 06:18 PM)
change pc haha
tryna have another go at fixing this, now just like a side thing to do when got free time

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0151sec    0.15    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:50 AM