Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Review Viofo A129, The highly anticipated dual dashcam

views

msa9696
post Apr 11 2019, 10:21 AM

Regular
1,582 posts

QUOTE(couk @ Apr 11 2019, 12:44 AM)
Thank you for all the info! But I think the price for the local distributor is way too expensive. sad.gif
QUOTE(blurjoey @ Apr 11 2019, 09:45 AM)
Local distributor have to follow the price fixed by Viofo. That's why more expensive.

Usually those cheaper price is those from grey importers which is not authorized by Viofo. Usually don't have warranty and not able to claim warranty directly from Viofo.
I think Viofo fixing the price is one thing, but at least local distributor can make it more attractive by providing free installation.
Actually while reading this forum, I made a wrong interpretation of "free installation". Just found out that installation was not free but with RM 100 charges.
But since I already went to the shop, I just paid to install my unit.

There's nothing wrong with the installation charges, but what I'm saying is, if the distributor claim that Viofo force them to sell at RM 799 without any discount, then at least they can provide free installation to compensate for that.

With installation plus memory card 64GB, I paid RM 1k which is a bit expensive IMO
msa9696
post Apr 11 2019, 12:53 PM

Regular
1,582 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Apr 11 2019, 10:45 AM)
Nowadays nothing much is free.

You do know that free installation is usually not free as the cost is already bundled into the total cost?

You can save $ when buy online and DIY install. I think can save rm300+++. But will have to do everything yourself like claim warranty directly with Viofo in Shenzhen, read the manual to learn how to use, etc.

Most of my installations is DIY and micro SD cards is bought from Lazada, Shopee, Aliexpress, etc.

Anyway the above my 2sen only.
I agree with you and I understand, it's too much hassle to DIY moreover I'm not a DIY guy. Also installation incur time cost for distributor as well.

What I'm saying is just that the "fixed price" can't really be an excuse given by distributor that Viofo is very strict that they can't give any discount. Free or cheaper Installation itself can compensate for that.

As I've said I've mistakenly thought the difference was 100++ with free installation but you clearly pointed out the difference could be up to RM 300, then it's a good reference for those who haven't bought to consider this.
msa9696
post May 23 2019, 12:37 PM

Regular
1,582 posts

I've got few issues with my unit. Will update here in the next few days.
msa9696
post May 24 2019, 01:37 AM

Regular
1,582 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ May 23 2019, 12:40 PM)
What's the issues?
QUOTE(Keatsan @ May 23 2019, 02:17 PM)
Firmware or hardware issues?

Would like to know what issues you're facing. I may have come across it too.
I've document down in detail, will reply here next week as I'm away now
msa9696
post Jun 1 2019, 02:48 PM

Regular
1,582 posts

As promised my report. It's a very disappointing unit IMO, as I paid 1k, which is still not cheap. I don't mind some issues, but I've great concern when no recording but beep sound not working. This defeats the purpose of dash cam, I could easily missed some critical footage.

I'm not sure how to claim for warranty or repair, because issues happen occasionally, so it's very hard to prove my claim.

Imagine the recent "Abong Botak" case happened, and thought everything recorded but it was not. Or worst, maybe hit someone who breaks red light, causing serious injury or death, but notice it was not recorded, hence unable to prove innocence.

1) Failed to record (once)
- parking mode on with 1fps
- first parked my car, everything recorded
- then drove the car, driving footage all recorded too
- parked at another location, this time the parking footage was not recorded (parking mode still on)
- started engine, then realised recording light was blinking. No beep sound.
- screen was black, unable to turn on screen, pressed all keys (long press, short press etc) but no response from unit at all. Connect wifi to phone, wifi connection successful, but unable to "connect to camera" from the app.
- drove back, reached home, unplug all cables and plug everything again, then it's working again

2) Failed to record (twice)
- parking mode on with 5fps
- parked my car, stop engine, unit turned on with both lights stable (which means recording in parking mode activated)
- after work, start engine and drove back (didn't check the recording)
- when reached home, only realised red light blinking. Checked back recording, both parking and journey home was not recorded.
- no beep sound to indicate that recording was not done during driving
- bought a new memory card, and it happened again, similar scenario

3) Unit hang (twice)
- unit hang, unable to press any button
- then only realise can restart unit, then after restart back to normal

This post has been edited by msa9696: Jun 1 2019, 02:50 PM
msa9696
post Jun 2 2019, 02:31 AM

Regular
1,582 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jun 1 2019, 11:43 PM)
Can you to test with the parking mode off and see? Seems like the parking mode causing the issue here.

Also, where did you buy the A129? If you have bought the A129 from Sicurez, you can report to them and they will help you troubleshoot on the issue.
Suspect parking mode too, but doesn't always happen so not sure how long I will need to test without having mode.

Bought from Sicurez, yeah probably will check with them when have time, only concern very troublesome, have to send back to them, not sure if have to leave my unit there and how long they will take to find out the problem. That will leave me without any dash cam.

I would say software still so buggy, not sure if others face the same problem.
msa9696
post Jun 2 2019, 10:31 PM

Regular
1,582 posts

QUOTE(KIntos @ Jun 2 2019, 12:23 PM)
Hi, can you snap shot me your list of your video clip using the apps?
And your firmware version.

Where is your location? Not recording beeping alert sound can be disable through the setting. You might have turned it off.
QUOTE(Keatsan @ Jun 2 2019, 12:59 PM)
I used to have the same exact issue. Parking mode recording not working only to realized it hangs my camera when I try to download my recording.

What I did was to re-download the firmware and reset default twice. reconfigure again and test for 24 hours. Working ever since.

Cannot guarantee if it works for you but least you could try the solution I did.
QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jun 2 2019, 02:17 PM)
Another way update/flash the firmware and factory reset the a129 duo and set it again.

https://support.viofo.com/support/solutions...sh-cam-firmware

V1.5 firmware is latest
[attachmentid=10257633]

Sicurez said they'll give a temporary unit for you to use while they troubleshoot your unit.
QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jun 2 2019, 02:34 PM)
Kintos is correct. Suspect might be the settings issue.
Thanks all, I'll try factory reset first and flash the latest firmware and see if it works.
For beep alert, it's not the settings, alert is enabled. Whenever I access the app and stop the recording, the beep alert is working. So I really unsure why the few occasions no warning for the failure to record the footage.

msa9696
post Jun 3 2019, 03:28 PM

Regular
1,582 posts

QUOTE(KIntos @ Jun 3 2019, 12:40 AM)
Bro, gentle reminder, pls ensure switched off the wifi all the time. Only switched it on when want to view recorded video clip.
I always do that, in fact in switch on and off everyday (not sure if that will somehow affect the device becoming unstable, but it shoudn't).

Because when I reach home, I will disable the parking mode, then when I reach office, I will enable it again. So quite troublesome, I have to switch on and off everyday
msa9696
post Jun 3 2019, 09:12 PM

Regular
1,582 posts

QUOTE(KIntos @ Jun 3 2019, 04:31 PM)
So bro, do you mean you are using wifi connection to turn ON and OFF for the parking mode everyday using the phone apps?

Do you mind to stop using apps to change the setting if what i assume as above is correct. Just for monitoring till you send back to your seller.

Pmed me bros, if you are in klang valley. I can come look for you and check the unit. I have demo unit for you to try.
Yes I'm using phone to on and off the parking mode
Thanks for your offer, let me try to reset to factory settings first and see how it goes.

QUOTE(Like a Bause @ Jun 3 2019, 04:51 PM)
why do you need to turn on and off the parking mode ? cant it just be left turned ON only ?  confused.gif
I'm not sure how bad the parking mode will affect my car battery, that's why I turn it off when parked at home, because my house is gated so I don't need the parking mode on.
msa9696
post Jun 11 2019, 12:17 PM

Regular
1,582 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jun 11 2019, 11:23 AM)
For owners using the A129 Duo's parking mode, turn off the wifi when not in use and not leave it on always. It will burn the wifi module very fast.
Thanks for the info, if burn already can it be repaired/replaced?
Without wifi it's rather useless
msa9696
post Jun 11 2019, 03:11 PM

Regular
1,582 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jun 11 2019, 02:46 PM)
Need to send for warranty claim.

Just imagine those who bought cheap without warranty sweat.gif  sweat.gif  sweat.gif
But warranty only 1 year right? After 1 year koyak liao very troublesome

I mentiond before that I keep turning on and off wifi (to enable and disable parking mode) as I posted earlier due to wanting to "save" the car battery when park at home (gated). Now with this risk of damaging the wifi, I really wonder, shall I just keep the parking mode running round the clock, and will it really shorten my car battery a lot
msa9696
post Jun 11 2019, 08:47 PM

Regular
1,582 posts

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jun 11 2019, 04:52 PM)
The new Viofo A129 is going to be called A129 Pro 4K with 4K front cam resolution and 1080p rear cam resolution.
QUOTE(blurjoey @ Jun 11 2019, 04:55 PM)
Sicurez told me to set the cut off at 12.4V just to be safe.

Also, I prefer to take out the micro SD card and use an OTG card reader that I store in my car to watch on my phone. Wifi too slow and sometimes the stream quality is not that clear.
Yes their wifi transfer rate super sucks, and damn so regret now with 4k should have waited for this new one if I knew it's coming

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0296sec    0.16    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:58 PM