Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New Registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Viofo A129, The highly anticipated dual dashcam (Review)

WildChai
post Dec 6 2018, 10:56 AM

Wut is this?
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Dec 5 2018, 12:49 AM)
My parking mode for my dashcams is put on 12v and 48 hours settings.

But you'll need to consider your car battery condition also. Older car batteries don't last long like brand new car batteries.
I usually have it running only during office hours (9-10 hrs). At home i manually turn off the cam.

QUOTE(gerald7 @ Dec 5 2018, 07:42 AM)
In theory the battery should be able to sustain 2 days of recording because of the low current draw of the camera. But it does depends on the condition of the battery, if its properly taken care of, should not have issues.
My battery already in it's 4th year. So far looks good at 12.5v. Will have an endurance test with 12v and see how far it goes.

BTW...How do you guys set your cam? Parking mode (15 fps) or motion detection. Parking mode speeds up recording and reduces the file size which is ideal for smaller sized mem card but with continuous recording.

Motion detection only records when an event happens (good that it doesn't record hours of useless video) BUT recording only kicks in after 5seconds?
blurjoey
post Dec 6 2018, 11:03 AM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(WildChai @ Dec 6 2018, 10:56 AM)
I usually have it running only during office hours (9-10 hrs). At home i manually turn off the cam.
My battery already in it's 4th year. So far looks good at 12.5v. Will have an endurance test with 12v and see how far it goes.
BTW...How do you guys set your cam? Parking mode (15 fps) or motion detection. Parking mode speeds up recording and reduces the file size which is ideal for smaller sized mem card but with continuous recording.

Motion detection only records when an event happens (good that it doesn't record hours of useless video) BUT recording only kicks in after 5seconds?
15fps good for space saving.

Motion detection bad for heavily congested place.

Anyway I prefer motion detection.

My 3 wires hardwire kit and CPL is here. But not sure why the box says for A119 or A118c

Attached Image
Like a Bause
post Dec 6 2018, 12:27 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Dec 6 2018, 11:03 AM)

My 3 wires hardwire kit and CPL is here. But not sure why the box says for A119 or A118c

Attached Image
waiting for your review... nod.gif
WildChai
post Dec 6 2018, 01:22 PM

Wut is this?

Attached Image
The 5sec delay not a drawback for you? ppl might doink your car and ciaoz in 5secs...haha. I will test it out and see for a day.

I need a CPL for my rear cam...my read dash is white and my windscreen reflects the hell out of it. Let us know if it helps with yours.

Edit: how much for both items?

This post has been edited by WildChai: Dec 6 2018, 01:23 PM
blurjoey
post Dec 6 2018, 02:02 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(WildChai @ Dec 6 2018, 01:22 PM)
The 5sec delay not a drawback for you? ppl might doink your car and ciaoz in 5secs...haha. I will test it out and see for a day.

I need a CPL for my rear cam...my read dash is white and my windscreen reflects the hell out of it. Let us know if it helps with yours.

Need to test and see for my review the parking mode.

The CPL will reduce the glare but will need to factor in the camera angle, the color of the interior plastic, etc sweat.gif sweat.gif sweat.gif

I got these from Viofo for my review. The infrared camera is otw also after this week.
Keatsan
post Dec 6 2018, 03:17 PM

Chief LEA

Attached Image
I was just wondering, is it possible to get some adapter to use merge with my existing setup.

Currently I'm using normal fuse piggyback with cigarette lighter extension. If I were to use this 3 wires hardware kit, I'll have to re-wiring everything again, which is something I am trying to avoid.

Any suggestion to merge the 3 wire kit and continue onto the cigar-USB cable setup?
Vsmh
post Dec 6 2018, 06:43 PM

Getting Started

Attached Image
QUOTE(WildChai @ Dec 6 2018, 01:22 PM)

I agree that motion detection is a better implementation for now as "parking mode" does not record sound which can be useful to identify the culprit in a busy spot.

I am assuming that your firmware is still stock? @WildChai If yes, you can look into upgrading it to F.W v 1.5 which has a low bit rate recording (meaning files are smaller - thus can record more without overwriting and records sound as well).

I have not tested it out yet.

Im not sure how in your case 5 seconds is long (if it indeed takes that long - i did not test it out to that extent) but generally speaking the cam has picked up people and cars from some distance thereby triggering it to start recording so maybe not that big of a deal as long as motion is detected within the field of view of the cam. I could be wrong though as your experience may vary.

Eg of motion detection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxGmEyEJjyo

Also sorry not delivering the pictures as I have been busy in college.

Nice installation by the way!

Vsmh
post Dec 6 2018, 06:45 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Dec 6 2018, 02:02 PM)
Need to test and see for my review the parking mode.

The CPL will reduce the glare but will need to factor in the camera angle, the color of the interior plastic, etc sweat.gif  sweat.gif  sweat.gif

I got these from Viofo for my review. The infrared camera is otw also after this week.
Infrared edition is pre-production unit or retail unit?

How soon will the review be concluded? drool.gif
blurjoey
post Dec 6 2018, 10:03 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(Vsmh @ Dec 6 2018, 06:45 PM)
Infrared edition is pre-production unit or retail unit?

How soon will the review be concluded?  drool.gif
Seems to be retail units as per Viofo. Waiting for it to arrive in a few weeks as stock just out this week.
gerald7
post Dec 7 2018, 07:42 AM

r a n d o m l y

WOW, 4th year! amazing, may i know what brand of battery? and if you dont mind the car your driving ?
lactose_operon
post Dec 9 2018, 09:39 PM

[WTS] l.o.v.3

I just got my a129 and finished installing the front cam in my serena c27. Failed to route the rear cam wiring sweat.gif
btw @blurjoey isit possible to activate the parking mode using only battery pack? I ordered altogether with hardwiring kit but received the 2-wire instead of 3-wire.

This post has been edited by lactose_operon: Dec 9 2018, 09:39 PM
blurjoey
post Dec 9 2018, 10:32 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(lactose_operon @ Dec 9 2018, 09:39 PM)
I just got my a129 and finished installing the front cam in my serena c27. Failed to route the rear cam wiring sweat.gif
btw @blurjoey isit possible to activate the parking mode using only battery pack? I ordered altogether with hardwiring kit but received the 2-wire instead of 3-wire.
I'm not sure about the using battery pack with the A129 Duo yet
WildChai
post Dec 10 2018, 10:24 AM

Wut is this?

QUOTE(Vsmh @ Dec 6 2018, 06:43 PM)
I agree that motion detection is a better implementation for now as "parking mode" does not record sound which can be useful to identify the culprit in a busy spot.

I am assuming that your firmware is still stock? @WildChai If yes, you can look into upgrading it to F.W v 1.5 which has a low bit rate recording (meaning files are smaller - thus can record more without overwriting and records sound as well).

I have not tested it out yet.

Im not sure how in your case 5 seconds is long (if it indeed takes that long - i did not test it out to that extent) but generally speaking the cam has picked up people and cars from some distance thereby triggering it to start recording so maybe not that big of a deal as long as motion is detected within the field of view of the cam. I could be wrong though as your experience may vary.

Eg of motion detection: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxGmEyEJjyo

Also sorry not delivering the pictures as I have been busy in college.

Nice installation by the way!
Saw the new firmware but yet to update. But nothing much changed in the changelog. I've set my cam to motion, oklah.. Manage to record Ppl walked almost past my car.

QUOTE(blurjoey @ Dec 6 2018, 10:03 PM)
Seems to be retail units as per Viofo. Waiting for it to arrive in a few weeks as stock just out this week.
Infrared? For night vision? Consumes more power then. Interesting mode though.

QUOTE(gerald7 @ Dec 7 2018, 07:42 AM)
WOW, 4th year! amazing, may i know what brand of battery? and if you dont mind the car your driving ?
Not sure the brand... Haha... Covered... Can't see. Continental car...generic model only.
WildChai
post Dec 10 2018, 11:21 AM

Wut is this?

Question about GPS.

What is the point for the GPS? in my previous Mini 0906 model, there will be a file with time/location points that can be plotted on a map program.

But for viofo, it's just stamped into the video? No route tracking?
blurjoey
post Dec 10 2018, 04:25 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(WildChai @ Dec 10 2018, 11:21 AM)
Question about GPS.

What is the point for the GPS? in my previous Mini 0906 model, there will be a file with time/location points that can be plotted on a map program.

But for viofo, it's just stamped into the video? No route tracking?
Actually have same like 0906.

GPS also use for date and time sync to your timezone.

12 Pages « < 10 11 12Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0913sec    5.27    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th December 2018 - 03:11 PM