Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New user registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Viofo A129, The highly anticipated dual dashcam (Review)

blurjoey
post May 18 2018, 04:08 PM

Sumo Hammy!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(lil_flank @ May 18 2018, 03:39 PM)
Last time i flashed to the latest firmware. I did not use the gps module for my rear dashcam coz i have another same Viofo A119v2 with gps module for my front windscreen. I did notice the last video always corrupted, date inaccurate and setting reset every shutdown. The red power button also immediately cut off after shutdown. So it was indeed the capacitor faulty. After repaired the capacitor, my setting still always reset even after i did upgrade to the latest firmware. I already gave up troubleshooting it, lol..
That is bad if still have problems after repairs
Teddy Paddington Jr.
post May 18 2018, 04:09 PM

Group: Newbie

How would you compare the video quality?
I'd see that both using the same front sensor; however the rear camera differs.
Which one has better video quality? A129 or Mini0906?
blurjoey
post May 18 2018, 04:13 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(Teddy Paddington Jr. @ May 18 2018, 04:09 PM)
How would you compare the video quality?
I'd see that both using the same front sensor; however the rear camera differs.
Which one has better video quality? A129 or Mini0906?
The firmware on the A129 is not yet final for the launch date. But the beta firmware is looking very good.
KIntos
post May 18 2018, 04:44 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(Teddy Paddington Jr. @ May 18 2018, 03:45 PM)
Thanks for the review; how does the A129 compare to the Mini0906?
Both are recording front and rear at 1080P 30fps.
Quality image more or less same. Dont view from this angle. A129 is latest and come with latest feature which most dual channel dashcam doesnt have.

1. Wifi- 2 frequency (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz).
2. Discreet concept of wedges design.
Teddy Paddington Jr.
post May 18 2018, 05:45 PM

QUOTE(KIntos @ May 18 2018, 04:44 PM)
Quality image more or less same. Dont view from this angle. A129 is latest and come with latest feature which most dual channel dashcam doesnt have.

Noted smile.gif

I'm comparing both in terms of their video performance as seeing that both are using the same front sensor; major difference are the rear camera sensors and Viofo vs Mini's software imagery.

Wifi isn't much of a big selling point to me; but that's just my personal preference;

Discreet design is also down to personal preference. I find both are quite discreet in terms of design; the A129 is definitely the most stealthy looking type.

However, sometimes having a stealthy camera may not help in certain road rage situation after all; I'd prefer the design that's part stealthy but yet visible; stealthy enough that people won't steal, but visible in case if someone wants to pick a fight with you; I tend to notice that drivers tend to behave much more docile/tone-down once they've spotted their targeted car has a dashcam; hence they might back away from you and leaving you and your car unharmed.

If you have a stealthy dashcam however, aggressive driver may have already acted out and causes damage to your car, only then to realise (with regret) that you've been recording their actions and plan to take actions against them. Although the damages you've incurred can be claimed by insurance, however the damage is already done; seeing that there is a possibility that the whole scenario could've be prevented if the aggressor would've spotted your dashcam, and back away from you.

My 2 cents icon_idea.gif

This post has been edited by Teddy Paddington Jr.: May 18 2018, 05:47 PM
Teddy Paddington Jr.
post May 18 2018, 05:51 PM

QUOTE(blurjoey @ May 18 2018, 04:13 PM)
The firmware on the A129 is not yet final for the launch date. But the beta firmware is looking very good.
So far the video quality does look good; I find that the A129's rear camera is much better than the Mini0906 at night;
It's a shame that they did not put the 1440p sensor from the A119 Pro into the A129; that combination would've been perfect.

Thanks for taking the time and write this review; I'm looking forward for your review update when Viofo's finalizes the A129 software/design smile.gif
blurjoey
post May 19 2018, 12:15 AM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(KIntos @ May 18 2018, 04:44 PM)

Actually, wedge and cylinder shape dashcams are both discreet designs. Which is more discreet is based on personal preferences laugh.gif

Dual band wifi on dashcams is not new. Most higher range dashcam is already using laugh.gif
blurjoey
post May 19 2018, 12:18 AM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(Teddy Paddington Jr. @ May 18 2018, 05:45 PM)
Noted smile.gif

I'm comparing both in terms of their video performance as seeing that both are using the same front sensor; major difference are the rear camera sensors and Viofo vs Mini's software imagery.

Wifi isn't much of a big selling point to me; but that's just my personal preference;

Discreet design is also down to personal preference. I find both are quite discreet in terms of design; the A129 is definitely the most stealthy looking type.

However, sometimes having a stealthy camera may not help in certain road rage situation after all; I'd prefer the design that's part stealthy but yet visible; stealthy enough that people won't steal, but visible in case if someone wants to pick a fight with you; I tend to notice that drivers tend to behave much more docile/tone-down once they've spotted their targeted car has a dashcam; hence they might back away from you and leaving you and your car unharmed.

If you have a stealthy dashcam however, aggressive driver may have already acted out and causes damage to your car, only then to realise (with regret) that you've been recording their actions and plan to take actions against them. Although the damages you've incurred can be claimed by insurance, however the damage is already done; seeing that there is a possibility that the whole scenario could've be prevented if the aggressor would've spotted your dashcam, and back away from you.

My 2 cents icon_idea.gif
Wifi to me, have or don't have is not a priority. I still prefer to take out the card and use an OTG reader and watch from phone or on my PC.

You can look at dashcams with security LED when recording like Thinkware. iRoad have it also but it's really bright to my preference.

QUOTE(Teddy Paddington Jr. @ May 18 2018, 05:51 PM)
So far the video quality does look good; I find that the A129's rear camera is much better than the Mini0906 at night;
It's a shame that they did not put the 1440p sensor from the A119 Pro into the A129; that combination would've been perfect.

Thanks for taking the time and write this review; I'm looking forward for your review update when Viofo's finalizes the A129 software/design smile.gif
Still testing the A129. Hopefully, I can get the retail pack next month to review.

Zaryl
post May 21 2018, 11:56 AM

Hardcore Casual Gamer

QUOTE(Teddy Paddington Jr. @ May 18 2018, 05:45 PM)
Noted smile.gif

My 2 cents icon_idea.gif
+1

i agree on having dashcam as a DETERRENT to road ragers from picking fights with you.

WaCKy-Angel
post May 21 2018, 11:59 AM

PeACe~~

blurjoey is it possible to use back A119 gps mount on this model? because the 3M sticker is on the mount right?

and hardwire kit comes as standard kit or optional?
blurjoey
post May 21 2018, 01:43 PM

Sumo Hammy!

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ May 21 2018, 11:59 AM)
blurjoey is it possible to use back A119 gps mount on this model? because the 3M sticker is on the mount right?

and hardwire kit comes as standard kit or optional?
Cannot as different GPS mount design on the A129. Now is slide to the right to remove the A129.

Hardwire kit is an optional item if not mistaken. Not sure yet as it's starting to sell next month.

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0663sec    2.12    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th May 2018 - 06:34 AM