Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New user registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Accuracy of Mechanical / Automatic Watch

cheefai7
post May 18 2018, 03:33 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(Zot @ May 18 2018, 03:24 PM)
Mechanical watch time will drift over time because machining mechanical part has imperfection due to machine tolerance.

Traditional battery watches runs on internal quartz or crystal oscillator which is very accurate but over long period will also drift. The microseconds inaccuracy is diving clock pulse will accumulate over time. Battery factor will only comes to very end of battery life cycle because the circuitry can be designed to drive at constant current.

If accuracy is very important, then you need to go for watches that sync with cellular base station or GPS. Your phone use clock data from cell station which is synchronized to GPS satellite. Yes, due to distance from satellite to earth, the info delay 1s+ (no more than 2s if not mistaken), but the GPS receiver has auto-compensation to calibrate itself.  thumbsup.gif
Agree on the part of very accurate time keeping, mechanical watches will fade, but I don't see Rolex or Omega or Patek slowing down, in fact the demand to fine craftsmanship have surge as the people has growth in wealth. Not everyone need to have clock that tell to exact mili to nano seconds, in fact sometime I do wear watches that stop working, but the presence of having a mechanical watch on the wrist play the tricks on people's mind, especially the subconscious.
cheefai7
post May 18 2018, 03:34 PM

On my way

QUOTE(chiahau @ May 18 2018, 03:05 PM)
Lol I hardly wear the BLNR anyways. Maybe weekends, at most.

It's usually apple watch on the wrist for about 2~3 months.
Aiyo, wasting wrist time liao. Use it as daily beater lar, ceramic bezel mar. tongue.gif
christcwl9
post May 18 2018, 03:35 PM

^ Project Engineer ^
Group Icon
Group: Moderator

QUOTE(cheefai7 @ May 18 2018, 03:04 PM)
Get a couple more of mechanical watch, then you will have different understanding in collecting watch. Accuracy is part of it but it will be less important as the journey progress... Only thing that is important is the $$$ in the pocket.  tongue.gif
Yea, I think I’m poison now and start saving for more premium watch zD

QUOTE(chiahau @ May 18 2018, 03:05 PM)
Lol I hardly wear the BLNR anyways. Maybe weekends, at most.

It's usually apple watch on the wrist for about 2~3 months.
Rumours are saying that this year Apple Watch might be round shape and it looks nice tongue.gif

QUOTE(Zot @ May 18 2018, 03:24 PM)
Mechanical watch time will drift over time because machining mechanical part has imperfection due to machine tolerance.

Traditional battery watches runs on internal quartz or crystal oscillator which is very accurate but over long period will also drift. The microseconds inaccuracy is diving clock pulse will accumulate over time. Battery factor will only comes to very end of battery life cycle because the circuitry can be designed to drive at constant current.

If accuracy is very important, then you need to go for watches that sync with cellular base station or GPS. Your phone use clock data from cell station which is synchronized to GPS satellite. Yes, due to distance from satellite to earth, the info delay 1s+ (no more than 2s if not mistaken), but the GPS receiver has auto-compensation to calibrate itself.  :thumbsup:
Thanks for the explanation. In fact someone also recommend me to get the Seiko GPS watch before which will automatically change time when we travel to another time zone.
Zot
post May 18 2018, 03:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(cheefai7 @ May 18 2018, 03:33 PM)
Agree on the part of very accurate time keeping, mechanical watches will fade, but I don't see Rolex or Omega or Patek slowing down, in fact the demand to fine craftsmanship have surge as the people has growth in wealth. Not everyone need to have clock that tell to exact mili to nano seconds, in fact sometime I do wear watches that stop working, but the presence of having a mechanical watch on the wrist play the tricks on people's mind, especially the subconscious.
It is no more about time accuracy when person wear those watches laugh.gif
cheefai7
post May 18 2018, 03:58 PM

On my way

QUOTE(Zot @ May 18 2018, 03:43 PM)
It is no more about time accuracy when person wear those watches  laugh.gif
yeah, that' why people buy so many handbag that cant even get the rotation complete in years...
chiahau
post May 18 2018, 05:05 PM

Fatthau StalKer

QUOTE(cheefai7 @ May 18 2018, 03:34 PM)
Aiyo, wasting wrist time liao. Use it as daily beater lar, ceramic bezel mar.  tongue.gif
Would love to, but the mistress is wearing it mostly on her wrist anyways tongue.gif

But so far, nothing ill has happen to the BLNR yet. Still shiny and pristine since the day it was collected from a close friend.
christcwl9
post May 18 2018, 05:07 PM

^ Project Engineer ^
Group Icon

QUOTE(chiahau @ May 18 2018, 05:05 PM)
Would love to, but the mistress is wearing it mostly on her wrist anyways  tongue.gif

But so far, nothing ill has happen to the BLNR yet. Still shiny and pristine since the day it was collected from a close friend.
Any pics to share smile.gif
malcolm86
post May 18 2018, 11:02 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

https://youtu.be/hsOR8GzmCzw
Some tips can found from above link

Well experienced watch repairer told me late 20+sec per day is normal for entry lvl automatic watch
christcwl9
post May 19 2018, 06:54 AM

^ Project Engineer ^
Group Icon

QUOTE(malcolm86 @ May 18 2018, 11:02 PM)
https://youtu.be/hsOR8GzmCzw
Some tips can found from above link

Well experienced watch repairer told me late 20+sec per day is normal for entry lvl automatic watch
Thanks for sharing, that link is super useful! rclxms.gif

But are you satisfied of your watch being slow constantly at 20seconds per 24 hours ?? hmm.gif

P/s to update, my watch just lost 0.5 seconds in 24 hours since yesterday! Wow! And I let it in the crown up position when I Went to bed. Will try another position tonight
malcolm86
post May 19 2018, 08:35 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(christcwl9 @ May 19 2018, 06:54 AM)
Thanks for sharing, that link is super useful! rclxms.gif

But are you satisfied of your watch being slow constantly at 20seconds per 24 hours ?? hmm.gif

P/s to update, my watch just lost 0.5 seconds in 24 hours since yesterday! Wow! And I let it in the crown up position when I Went to bed. Will try another position tonight
Not satisfied but no choice, u need to pay higher price for higher end movement .

As u said, different position will affect the beat rate..
christcwl9
post May 19 2018, 03:46 PM

^ Project Engineer ^
Group Icon

QUOTE(malcolm86 @ May 19 2018, 08:35 AM)
Not satisfied but no choice, u need to pay higher price for higher end movement .

As u said, different position will affect the beat rate..
Bro, my friend Seiko 5 (which he bought for around rm500) is keeping quite good time according to him, at only +- 10 seconds per day
malcolm86
post May 20 2018, 06:07 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(christcwl9 @ May 19 2018, 03:46 PM)
Bro, my friend Seiko 5 (which he bought for around rm500) is keeping quite good time according to him, at only +- 10 seconds per day
Lol , maybe I'm the unlucky one...
christcwl9
post May 20 2018, 11:49 PM

^ Project Engineer ^
Group Icon

QUOTE(malcolm86 @ May 20 2018, 06:07 PM)
Lol , maybe I'm the unlucky one...
Maybe you just take it to regulate. Or regulate urself tongue.gif
christcwl9
post May 22 2018, 10:28 PM

^ Project Engineer ^
Group Icon

Guys, just to update, and i don't know why, suddenly the accuracy of my watch getting poorer and poorer.

it has now slowed by a total of 6 seconds/day as compared to my 2 seconds per day for the first week. The watch is now in its 2nd week of operation and the average accuracy im seeing is around 6 seconds lost per day sad.gif

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0677sec    4.94    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th May 2018 - 12:13 PM