Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Which college should I go for?, For Computer Science (IT)

AnimeSinceForever
post Jun 5 2018, 05:59 PM

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(LightKeyDarkBlade @ Jun 1 2018, 09:46 PM)
Yup. CS is much, much more than just "programming" and "coding" as people would normally say. It's a whole new field of study just like science or mathematics. There's a user called evofantasy in my old thread, who is actually my tutor here in Monash, who perfectly explains the things about CS, Software Engineering (SE), and IT.
The people who usually talk that it's just "programming" and "coding" are the tin kosong, possibly even the hiring managers or HR who want to drive down the candidate's wages.

Anyway, Monash Malaysia got savaged by glassdoor. And no response from the great tutor evofantasy when I pointed it out hmm.gif
Hey evofantasy, just want to let you know that Monash University is getting buggered on the integrity of their courses on Glassdoor.

According to https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Monash-University-Malaysia-Reviews-EI_IE153896.0,17_IL.18,26_IN170.htm

" Jul 19, 2017

Helpful (4)
"NOT a university, but a childcare kindergarten!"

Former Employee - Associate Professor in Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan (Malaysia)
Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
CEO

I worked at Monash University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The academic staff is young. There wont be a lot of workloads from seniors. You can decide your own research. Founded in 1998, the majority of the staff is beginners.

Cons

I wish I have found these comments at this website before. You will never see such low-quality students in your life!!!!

This campus has extremely terrible reputation. Even local companies dislike the graduates from this campus. This is because as long as you have money, you can enroll in this campus. The quality of the students is therefore very very poor.

Cheating, faking results, and plagiarism among students frequently occur, possibly owing to irresponsibility, delinquency, and lazy attitude.

Overall, this campus is full of spoiled kids, not only from local students but also from the third world

Heavy teaching load!!!
If your teaching unit has 200 students, then you will have about 10 labs + 10 tutorials + 1 lecture. Each one is two hours.

If some students skipped your class due to personal reasons, these students will ask you to provide replacements. Otherwise, it is your fault, and your annual KPI fails.Show Less

Advice to Management

Au accreditation committee, please remove this campus from the group of eight"

Keep ignoring the reality that high failure rate is a symbol of integrity when 50% of people are below average.

Keep telling us your Monash University is so great and they have high standards and so many pass whistling.gif

More fun from Glassdoor about Monash Malaysia here:
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...post&p=88787828
rclxms.gif
evofantasy
post Jun 6 2018, 01:20 AM

Avadion of the Enders

I am surprised how salty you are after every programmer in the thread bashed you for being bad lol. I think my ranking/ reputation will do the talking =) Am perfectly happy with my current employment and my ex students are getting offered 5k fresh.

PS: Do a little research about Glassdoor posts and educate yourself. Quoting Glassdoor is really naive in the industry.

This post has been edited by evofantasy: Jun 6 2018, 01:23 AM
HayateAyakasi8
post Jun 11 2018, 06:39 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

So guys, I'm going to do Foundation in Science and Technology (FIST) at Sunway and most probably continue my degree in Computer Science. Thanks for all the help from every one smile.gif
Matriya
post Jun 27 2018, 05:01 PM

Group: Newbie

I'm currently in Sunway for Fist, final sem already, quite regret studying here for the past one year!

Should've gone to INTI man. Have to agree with @Cwkc93 on the price, it's damn expensive here, and we've gotta buy our own textbooks which is only sold by Sunway freaking expensive! Imagine, it's just a foundation program, not even 2 years and need textbook!

Also, to get a grade C even it's 60% and even if you've already got 60% in coursework marks but you don't get 20% out of 40% in finals, you're still going to FAIL and RETAKE the subject!

They'd squeeze the retake subject into your next semester which means more load for you!
HayateAyakasi8
post Jun 27 2018, 05:33 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Matriya @ Jun 27 2018, 05:01 PM)
I'm currently in Sunway for Fist, final sem already, quite regret studying here for the past one year!

Should've gone to INTI man. Have to agree with @Cwkc93 on the price, it's damn expensive here, and we've gotta buy our own textbooks which is only sold by Sunway freaking expensive! Imagine, it's just a foundation program, not even 2 years and need textbook!

Also, to get a grade C even it's 60% and even if you've already got 60% in coursework marks but you don't get 20% out of 40% in finals, you're still going to FAIL and RETAKE the subject!

They'd squeeze the retake subject into your next semester which means more load for you!
Oh wow. Well thanks for yr feedback man.
I would avoid INTI tho because I've been hearing negative comments about it.
Never knew the grading is higher, so that means I have to work harder, but I think it should be manageable.
Plus no turning back now, since I've already paid the registration fees for it.
Good luck for yr future tho smile.gif
evofantasy
post Jun 28 2018, 02:43 PM

Avadion of the Enders

QUOTE(Matriya @ Jun 27 2018, 05:01 PM)

this is the same with any reputable university -- hurdles. subjects usually have hurdles you would need to meet (pass internal, pass exam, total pass) for you to pass the unit. so i had no issue about this.

on textbook though, is it compulsory? cause from my experience, i never used text books throughout my studies
Matriya
post Jun 28 2018, 03:42 PM

QUOTE(HayateAyakasi8 @ Jun 27 2018, 05:33 PM)
Oh wow. Well thanks for yr feedback man.
I would avoid INTI tho because I've been hearing negative comments about it.
Never knew the grading is higher, so that means I have to work harder, but I think it should be manageable.
Plus no turning back now, since I've already paid the registration fees for it.
Good luck for yr future tho smile.gif
Going to Inti for my Degree after this, managed to get some form of financial assistance, like a discount, my parents earn below 8k, so they're giving me 30% discounts, apparently no strings attached~ rclxm9.gif

QUOTE(evofantasy @ Jun 28 2018, 02:43 PM)
this is the same with any reputable university -- hurdles. subjects usually have hurdles you would need to meet (pass internal, pass exam, total pass) for you to pass the unit. so i had no issue about this.

on textbook though, is it compulsory? cause from my experience, i never used text books throughout my studies
Yeah the textbooks are compulsory, and it's edited yearly too! One of my classmates had tried to use a past year textbook 2nd hand from a senior (his elder sister) and there's this one senior lecturer just took the book and confiscated it. The next week he came back with a photostated copy of the latest edition, and the lecturer tore it apart!

Other lecturers just accepted coffee when they saw him using photocopies. doh.gif

He's not rich, he can't afford a one-off textbook which costs nearly rm100, and the lecturers shown no remorse.

Of course I won't mention the names of the lecturers, don't wanna risk this final sem

This post has been edited by Matriya: Jun 28 2018, 03:52 PM
evofantasy
post Jun 28 2018, 11:52 PM

Avadion of the Enders

QUOTE(Matriya @ Jun 28 2018, 03:42 PM)
Going to Inti for my Degree after this, managed to get some form of financial assistance, like a discount, my parents earn below 8k, so they're giving me 30% discounts, apparently no strings attached~  rclxm9.gif
Yeah the textbooks are compulsory, and it's edited yearly too! One of my classmates had tried to use a past year textbook 2nd hand from a senior (his elder sister) and there's this one senior lecturer just took the book and confiscated it. The next week he came back with a photostated copy of the latest edition, and the lecturer tore it apart!

Other lecturers just accepted coffee when they saw him using photocopies.  doh.gif

He's not rich, he can't afford a one-off textbook which costs nearly rm100, and the lecturers shown no remorse.

Of course I won't mention the names of the lecturers, don't wanna risk this final sem
The whole textbook thing is really unreasonable. Have you guys talked to the course management office about this?
Matriya
post Jun 29 2018, 10:26 AM

QUOTE(evofantasy @ Jun 28 2018, 11:52 PM)
The whole textbook thing is really unreasonable. Have you guys talked to the course management office about this?
The PD told us, and I quote: "Don't you know what is piracy, and the consequences of it?"

Too late though, the fella quit already.
HayateAyakasi8
post Jun 29 2018, 10:52 AM

Casual

QUOTE(Matriya @ Jun 28 2018, 03:42 PM)
Going to Inti for my Degree after this, managed to get some form of financial assistance, like a discount, my parents earn below 8k, so they're giving me 30% discounts, apparently no strings attached~  rclxm9.gif

Other lecturers just accepted coffee when they saw him using photocopies.  doh.gif

QUOTE(Matriya @ Jun 29 2018, 10:26 AM)
The PD told us, and I quote: "Don't you know what is piracy, and the consequences of it?"

What the actual hell ? Is that lecturer for real ?

QUOTE(evofantasy @ Jun 28 2018, 11:52 PM)
Just for a textbook. What was going on the lecturer's mind ?
evofantasy
post Jun 29 2018, 02:18 PM

Avadion of the Enders

QUOTE(Matriya @ Jun 29 2018, 10:26 AM)

I can understand the piracy part (it is a big thing in reality) but the general rule is that if the lecturer is going out of bounds, always feel free to contact the course management office. Remember, you are paying for your fees so you have more rights than you think.
HayateAyakasi8
post Jun 29 2018, 02:32 PM

Casual

QUOTE(evofantasy @ Jun 29 2018, 02:18 PM)
I can understand the piracy part (it is a big thing in reality) but the general rule is that if the lecturer is going out of bounds, always feel free to contact the course management office. Remember, you are paying for your fees so you have more rights than you think.
Since I'm just going to step foot in college, what kind of rights do I actually deserve ?
evofantasy
post Jun 29 2018, 02:40 PM

Avadion of the Enders

QUOTE(HayateAyakasi8 @ Jun 29 2018, 02:32 PM)
Since I'm just going to step foot in college, what kind of rights do I actually deserve ?
for starters, if there's any issues that you do not agree with then you can always raise it up to the course management office/ the school. in no scenario can a lecturer really cross the boundary
HayateAyakasi8
post Jun 29 2018, 02:44 PM

Casual

QUOTE(evofantasy @ Jun 29 2018, 02:40 PM)
for starters, if there's any issues that you do not agree with then you can always raise it up to the course management office/ the school. in no scenario can a lecturer really cross the boundary
Ah I see, thank you smile.gif
joe_toye
post Jul 2 2018, 04:04 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(evofantasy @ Jun 29 2018, 02:40 PM)
Some courses require to have compulsory text books but for the most part, compulsory textbooks are actually compulsory reading. You don't need to actually, physically have the text book. Unless the staff is asking you to directly purchase it from him!

Agreed. Raise it up with the DEAN. Or if that fails - refer to the enforcement unit of MOE.

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0911sec    4.56    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd September 2018 - 10:05 AM