Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

New user registrations disabled until further notice.

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Which college should I go for?, For Computer Science (IT)

HayateAyakasi8
post May 9 2018, 12:29 AM, updated 5d ago

Casual
Group: Junior Member

Hey there guys, I currently need help in choosing a university for pursuing my tertiary education.
I'm currently interested in Computer Science and this is my plan.
Study for Foundation and then study Degree in Computer Science
But I can't choose a university to enrol myself. These are currently my choices

INTI Nilai - Next intake is 28 May
It seems they're collaborating with IBM and also Coventry University,UK for the IT courses

APU New Campus, Bukit Jalil - Next intake is in 21 May
They're collaborating with Staffordshire University, UK for the courses

Sunway University - Next intake is in Jun/July
They're collaborating with Lancaster Univerisity, UK for the courses (thanks igx0908)

MMU Cyberjaya - Next intake is in Jun/July

I've also searched about Monash University and University of Nottingham, but the cost for them is too high.

These are the few ones which I've been searching about. I can't make up my mind on joining which institution. I hope I can get a some feedback from you guys, or even another university you can recommend me. Thank you smile.gif

This post has been edited by HayateAyakasi8: May 9 2018, 07:03 PM
igx0908
post May 9 2018, 12:43 AM

Group: Newbie

APU is well-known for their computing courses in Malaysia. Meanwhile, facilities in Sunway is excellent (walking dist to Pyramid, BRT...). They also collaborate with Lancaster UK for their degree courses. Not really know a lot for the others...
HayateAyakasi8
post May 9 2018, 01:48 AM

Casual

QUOTE(igx0908 @ May 9 2018, 12:43 AM)
APU is well-known for their computing courses in Malaysia. Meanwhile, facilities in Sunway is excellent (walking dist to Pyramid, BRT...). They also collaborate with Lancaster UK for their degree courses. Not really know a lot for the others...
Aha I see, in APU you're supposed to be wearing formal attires and there's not much stuff to do around the campus. I've also heard that students there don't do much fun stuff (idk abt this, I just read it somewhere)
Sunway instead, if I'm not mistaken I can be wearing casual attires and more stuff to do around there.

If it was you, which would you go for ? And why ?
HayateAyakasi8
post May 9 2018, 07:04 PM

Casual

bump smile.gif

This post has been edited by HayateAyakasi8: May 9 2018, 07:08 PM
igx0908
post May 15 2018, 11:04 PM

QUOTE(HayateAyakasi8 @ May 9 2018, 01:48 AM)
Aha I see, in APU you're supposed to be wearing formal attires and there's not much stuff to do around the campus. I've also heard that students there don't do much fun stuff (idk abt this, I just read it somewhere)
Sunway instead, if I'm not mistaken I can be wearing casual attires and more stuff to do around there.

If it was you, which would you go for ? And why ?
Yes, in Sunway you can wear casual attires. If I was given a choice, I'm gonna go for Sunway, in fact I'm already here lol. Choose here because of its facilities and learning environment. Also realised that employers don't really care about which uni you graduate from, most importantly, your soft skills and abilities. Sunway is also one of MDEC's Premier Digital Tech University (APU is also one of it), so I guess both of them is good. Just, Sunway fees are quite expensive.

Tip: Go to both Uni for a campus tour and talk to advisors/lectures over there, definitely easier for you to make a decision
hailo0w3x
post May 16 2018, 09:28 PM

I was a foundation student at APU. Don't go there it's not worth it for the money. Bad experience and bad teaching quality in my subjective views. However lots of my friends also transferred to other universities after their completion of foudantion.
HayateAyakasi8
post May 17 2018, 12:02 AM

Casual

QUOTE(hailo0w3x @ May 16 2018, 09:28 PM)
I was a foundation student at APU. Don't go there it's not worth it for the money. Bad experience and bad teaching quality in my subjective views. However lots of my friends also transferred to other universities after their completion of foudantion.
Aha I see, well after reading more on lyn forum, I cancelled out the plan to go study there anyways smile.gif
michaelt79
post May 17 2018, 06:19 PM

QUOTE(hailo0w3x @ May 16 2018, 09:28 PM)
hailo0w3x - sorry to hear of your bad experience. Can you be more specific about your experience? Can you give a few examples of your bad experience? Can you share why you feel the teaching quality is bad?

BTW, I got my Bachelor from APIIT (before APU was a University) 20 years ago. I can assure you that the quality was good (that time when I was there). I got hired even before I completed my studies. Those in my batch are now leaders in IT companies, some work in SG, worked in banks (like myself). I can't give assurance of the quality today - but I did visit the Campus in Technology Park recently and I am impressed. Quality wise - I think it's still good. But I could be biased ... which is why I am interested to hear more details from you.

IMO, APU is OK. In terms of the campus facilities and the fees - it's good enough. Comparable to Sunway and Inti. But, like back 20 years ago - MMU is still better and cheaper too (so MMU should be your top choice). If you go Inti - I suggest joining the UOW program, more for the UOW name. If you got the $$$ (but want to study in Malaysia) - go for Monash or Nothingham. So, in order of preference -> Monash - Nothingham - MMU - APU - (Inti / Sunway / HELP).

This post has been edited by michaelt79: May 17 2018, 06:20 PM
HayateAyakasi8
post May 17 2018, 07:44 PM

Casual

QUOTE(michaelt79 @ May 17 2018, 06:19 PM)
hailo0w3x - sorry to hear of your bad experience. Can you be more specific about your experience? Can you give a few examples of your bad experience? Can you share why you feel the teaching quality is bad?

BTW, I got my Bachelor from APIIT (before APU was a University) 20 years ago. I can assure you that the quality was good (that time when I was there). I got hired even before I completed my studies. Those in my batch are now leaders in IT companies, some work in SG, worked in banks (like myself). I can't give assurance of the quality today - but I did visit the Campus in Technology Park recently and I am impressed. Quality wise - I think it's still good. But I could be biased ... which is why I am interested to hear more details from you.

IMO, APU is OK. In terms of the campus facilities and the fees - it's good enough. Comparable to Sunway and Inti. But, like back 20 years ago - MMU is still better and cheaper too (so MMU should be your top choice). If you go Inti - I suggest joining the UOW program, more for the UOW name. If you got the $$$ (but want to study in Malaysia) - go for Monash or Nothingham. So, in order of preference -> Monash - Nothingham - MMU - APU - (Inti / Sunway / HELP).
Hey there, thanks for yr feedback. Monash and Nothingham are very expensive. Sunway and MMU are the unis that I'm interested and people tell that either one is good. So I'll be going to their open day next month and see which one feels better. smile.gif
hailo0w3x
post May 20 2018, 02:30 PM

QUOTE(michaelt79 @ May 17 2018, 06:19 PM)

It is true that before that, APIIT is very good. I have talked to some working adults in related field, and they said APIIT was very good, but now not so much.

General dissatisfaction:
1. Very unfriendly management stuffs(the ones I have encountered, I am not saying all.)
2. Bad architecture design. Campus so big, but only got one spot of toilet at the end of the campus, and only 3 standing toilets AND 2 seating toilets for each level. Once I was in a urgent, I had to go from level 3 to level 8, one by one, and the toilets are all full.
When raining heavily, the rain will be blown by the air into the new campus. Will cause a small flood.
3. Mediocre food for expensive price.
4. A lot of "bad students" who don't want to study here. They take in a lot of international students also who are very playful(a big group smoking and vaping outside all the time)
5. Overall the 'atmosphere' here is very inactive. All playing video games.

Specific Dissatisfaction:
1. I personally do not like lecturers. First sem the English teacher funnily let us watched a Ted talk, and he asked us to write our thoughts. That's it. And he stopped the class 30 minutes earlier. RM300 for that class. Met one lecturer who is extremely arrogant and rude that the whole class hate him. I did not hate him first, but when I actually talked to him personally. he didn't seem to care about my assignment and gave me a rude look. During the exams, he kept interrupting by saying nonsense like "Before exam don't eat curry lah, now want to go toilet already. Don't try to cheat". And more cases like this.

2. Bad class environment. During lectures there were always students who were disturbing the class.

3. Events. I worked as a volunteer for the largest event @APU. It was terrible as everything was unplanned well and a lot of last second decision makings. And I got the cert only after 6 months(I had to keep requesting for it).

4. Rental can be at least 1.75x more expensive than at other universities.

And on and on.....

I mostly hate it when I pay so much money and receive nothing equivalent in return. I am not from a rich family so I'm outta here.

This post has been edited by hailo0w3x: May 20 2018, 02:33 PM
Ludwig.
post May 20 2018, 02:35 PM

Getting Started

being a former APU student (in the old campus; software engineering), i strongly urge you to please please please please don't enrol yourself into that university.

it is utter shite in every aspect. don't believe the marketing, their courses are mediocre at best and their professors and support systems are sub-par. i can go on forever on why it's such a crap establishment, so i promise you, any other private university would be a much better option for you.

let me know if you have any other questions.
HayateAyakasi8
post May 20 2018, 05:10 PM

Casual

QUOTE(hailo0w3x @ May 20 2018, 02:30 PM)
It is true that before that, APIIT is very good. I have talked to some working adults in related field, and they said APIIT was very good, but now not so much.

General dissatisfaction:
1. Very unfriendly management stuffs(the ones I have encountered, I am not saying all.)
2. Bad architecture design. Campus so big, but only got one spot of toilet at the end of the campus, and only 3 standing toilets AND 2 seating toilets for each level. Once I was in a urgent, I had to go from level 3 to level 8, one by one, and the toilets are all full.
When raining heavily, the rain will be blown by the air into the new campus. Will cause a small flood.
3. Mediocre food for expensive price.
4. A lot of "bad students" who don't want to study here. They take in a lot of international students also who are very playful(a big group smoking and vaping outside all the time)
5. Overall the 'atmosphere' here is very inactive. All playing video games.

Specific Dissatisfaction:
1. I personally do not like lecturers. First sem the English teacher funnily let us watched a Ted talk, and he asked us to write our thoughts. That's it. And he stopped the class 30 minutes earlier. RM300 for that class. Met one lecturer who is extremely arrogant and rude that the whole class hate him. I did not hate him first, but when I actually talked to him personally. he didn't seem to care about my assignment and gave me a rude look. During the exams, he kept interrupting by saying nonsense like "Before exam don't eat curry lah, now want to go toilet already. Don't try to cheat". And more cases like this.

2. Bad class environment. During lectures there were always students who were disturbing the class.

3. Events. I worked as a volunteer for the largest event @APU. It was terrible as everything was unplanned well and a lot of last second decision makings. And I got the cert only after 6 months(I had to keep requesting for it).

4. Rental can be at least 1.75x more expensive than at other universities.

And on and on.....

I mostly hate it when I pay so much money and receive nothing equivalent in return. I am not from a rich family so I'm outta here.
QUOTE(Ludwig. @ May 20 2018, 02:35 PM)
being a former APU student (in the old campus; software engineering), i strongly urge you to please please please please don't enrol yourself into that university.

it is utter shite in every aspect. don't believe the marketing, their courses are mediocre at best and their professors and support systems are sub-par. i can go on forever on why it's such a crap establishment, so i promise you, any other private university would be a much better option for you.

let me know if you have any other questions.
So sorry to hear from your bad experiences there. I've already decided not to go to APU and instead I'm thinking between MMU or Sunway.
Thanks for sharing your experiences guys
jeremycming
post May 20 2018, 07:12 PM

Hello there, I'm currently a college student of FIA March 2018 in Sunway college, and I would strongly recommend you choose here over other universities.

I was like you two months ago, searching for the best uni that would suit me. I went to many campuses such as APU, MMU, Inti, HeriotWatt etc, and I still prefer Sunway over the others.

Pros on Sunway is that the people here are quite chill and friendly, thou Im only here for like two months, so I'll be saying this as a short term persepctive. Lecturers are all great and the study environemt (for the most part) is quite friendly. Now for some reason, I've been put into a class where English is hardly spoken, and me, who is a banana, sometimes find it hard to communicate with my classmates 😂. That shouldn't be a factor to change your decision thou, just unlucky for me.

Actually i wanted to take computer science as my elective as I used to code using python last time, but prefer to pursue in accounting, so I chose accounts and business as my electives. I regret it now as CS is so much fun compared to Business, which is quite boring and shit.

Facility wise, it is more than enough. IMO, the library is one of the best in Malaysia. Has plenty of books that I will never read and studying facilities inside the library. And probably the most underrated facility is the lift. Depending on which lift you take in college, it is spread across the college campus and it's basically like a maze.

This post has been edited by jeremycming: May 20 2018, 07:13 PM
HayateAyakasi8
post May 20 2018, 08:14 PM

Casual

QUOTE(jeremycming @ May 20 2018, 07:12 PM)
Hello there, I'm currently a college student of FIA March 2018 in Sunway college, and I would strongly recommend you choose here over other universities.

I was like you two months ago, searching for the best uni that would suit me. I went to many campuses such as APU, MMU, Inti, HeriotWatt etc, and I still prefer Sunway over the others.

Pros on Sunway is that the people here are quite chill and friendly, thou Im only here for like two months, so I'll be saying this as a short term persepctive. Lecturers are all great and the study environemt (for the most part) is quite friendly. Now for some reason, I've been put into a class where English is hardly spoken, and me, who is a banana, sometimes find it hard to communicate with my classmates 😂. That shouldn't be a factor to change your decision thou, just unlucky for me.

Actually i wanted to take computer science as my elective as I used to code using python last time, but prefer to pursue in accounting, so I chose accounts and business as my electives. I regret it now as CS is so much fun compared to Business, which is quite boring and shit.

Facility wise, it is more than enough. IMO, the library is one of the best in Malaysia. Has plenty of books that I will never read and studying facilities inside the library. And probably the most underrated facility is the lift. Depending on which lift you take in college, it is spread across the college campus and it's basically like a maze.
Ah damn I wonder why you're put into a class where English is hardly spoken. That would give me a headache as well cause I can only speak English and Malay with broken af Tamil.
Yeah I also heard that Sunway's facilities are better. BTW can't you change to FIST instead of FIA ? Cause spending the next 4 years studying something you're not interested is gonna be a waste of time and money.
BTW do you live in the on site campus ?
jeremycming
post May 21 2018, 09:04 PM

QUOTE(HayateAyakasi8 @ May 20 2018, 08:14 PM)
Ah damn I wonder why you're put into a class where English is hardly spoken. That would give me a headache as well cause I can only speak English and Malay with broken af Tamil.
Yeah I also heard that Sunway's facilities are better. BTW can't you change to FIST instead of FIA ? Cause spending the next 4 years studying something you're not interested is gonna be a waste of time and money.
BTW do you live in the on site campus ?
Im not a science student, and I am more of an accounting student than CS, but since the first sem of CS in college is like so easy, it made me regret choosing business as my electives.
HayateAyakasi8
post May 21 2018, 09:18 PM

Casual

QUOTE(jeremycming @ May 21 2018, 09:04 PM)
Im not a science student, and I am more of an accounting student than CS, but since the first sem of CS in college is like so easy, it made me regret choosing business as my electives.
Ah I see, well thanks for yr feedback about Sunway smile.gif

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0717sec    3.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th May 2018 - 12:23 PM