Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Looking for point and shoot camera for traveling

views

TSCurrent Events guy
post May 27 2018, 07:22 PM

Enthusiast
960 posts

QUOTE(TrialGone @ May 27 2018, 05:03 PM)
Like i said, any mirrorless (unless the lastest model with bulky grip) will have same problem. However i believe if worse come worse probably reduced to 200 shots in freezig temperature (have to check specs) so should be enough as long you dont go trigger happy. However i belive rx comes with usb charging so bringing a powerbank would help.

Secondly......may have to take note, if you wearing glove, have to take out everytime using that smallist rx100. Or get a add on grip.
Thanks for that powerbank tip, haven't thought of that before. Hope that I wouldn't need it either because I don't want to add to the bulkiness while skiing.

For gloves, not an issue since I take pics using my phone anyway.
cactuscch2
post May 27 2018, 09:19 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

QUOTE(Current Events guy @ May 27 2018, 03:12 PM)
Have you had the opportunity to test the RX100 M3 in cold weather? I'd like to take some stills when skiing and was wondering if the battery would die quickly.
Had 3 incidents when my RX100 failed on me, luckily just temporarily
- Korea Mt. Sorak, camera too cold and battery stop functioning and the lens sticking out. Change a fresh battery and it came back to life. I didn't count how many photos taken but definitely battery life shorter. Later I just keep it under my armpit when not taking photo, and it's fine.
- There is a function when I long press the play button to review photos without switching on (also lens not moving). After reviewing for 30+ minutes, the camera won't start anymore. Remove & re-insert battery will solve the problem
- Change button too quickly and it hang. Remove & re-insert battery will solve the problem

TrialGone
post May 27 2018, 10:11 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(cactuscch2 @ May 27 2018, 09:19 PM)
Had 3 incidents when my RX100 failed on me, luckily just temporarily
- Korea Mt. Sorak, camera too cold and battery stop functioning and the lens sticking out. Change a fresh battery and it came back to life. I didn't count how many photos taken but definitely battery life shorter. Later I just keep it under my armpit when not taking photo, and it's fine.
- There is a function when I long press the play button to review photos without switching on (also lens not moving). After reviewing for 30+ minutes, the camera won't start anymore. Remove & re-insert battery will solve the problem
- Change button too quickly and it hang. Remove & re-insert battery will solve the problem
hmmmm......probably won't recommend keeping it warm then taking it out in the freezing cold due to condensation issue. Perhaps better take out the battery and keeping that warm separately in your pocket and use sparingly when you want to take pictures.

One thing though, better bring a camera bag and put your camera inside. If you suddenly go from freezing cold to your warm lodging, the water may form inside your camera and lens. The bag helps retain some coolness inside and gradually warm to equivalent temperature before you take it out.
watashigundamu
post Jun 10 2018, 02:11 PM

8 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

i 2nd to this suggestion. would really like to have a p900 but personally i went for a canon sx50 for the raw capability and budget limitation.

use to travel with a D90, D7000, and a Olympus mirrorless (forget the model name ady), seriously for travel purpose, compare to those conventional dslr or mirrorless, it is way more practical and fun to use these superzoom.
sniper on the roof
post Jun 10 2018, 04:15 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
VIP
23,414 posts

QUOTE(TrialGone @ May 27 2018, 05:03 PM)
Like i said, any mirrorless (unless the lastest model with bulky grip) will have same problem. However i believe if worse come worse probably reduced to 200 shots in freezig temperature (have to check specs) so should be enough as long you dont go trigger happy. However i belive rx comes with usb charging so bringing a powerbank would help.

Secondly......may have to take note, if you wearing glove, have to take out everytime using that smallist rx100. Or get a add on grip.
Was in Kuraisawa early this year with the XT20 shooting at -15C. I don't feel that there's significant battery drain.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Spitzer
post Jun 25 2018, 09:00 PM

Casual
374 posts

ok i know i'm going to get alot of shit for this but;

for a 2k budget, why not stick with your smartphone? Or get a better smartphone as it's extremely mobile, lasts the whole day, and discreet.
TrialGone
post Jun 25 2018, 11:11 PM

On my way
603 posts

QUOTE(Spitzer @ Jun 25 2018, 09:00 PM)
ok i know i'm going to get alot of shit for this but;

for a 2k budget, why not stick with your smartphone? Or get a better smartphone as it's extremely mobile, lasts the whole day, and discreet.
Nothing wrong with smartphone. In fact I get a number of good shots with my half a decade old phone.

But smartphone itself is limiting like low dynamic range, unable to control shutter speed and aperture and no matter what it's fiddly to handle compared to a dedicated camera and nothing discreet about it. And unlike smartphone, a point and shoot may actually save you more money cause you don't have to change it like you change phone every 2 to 3 years, laugh.gif.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0118sec    0.29    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:30 AM