Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro Version 13A, All about Astro Malaysia offerings

views

vickno
post Jul 2 2022, 02:11 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

Hi Sifus,

I'm looking into getting Astro Sports package.. I've had enough of of 1 Min delay, 45 seconds delay with other "alternate" methods for years.

Questions are:

1)if I go for the Ultra plug and play method, is it essentially Astro Go on a streaming box?

2) Will there be a 30 sec or more delay for football?

3)Am I better off using the traditional satellite -hybrid with IPTV for true "live" football?

My main concern once again is a "delayed" football like Astro Go (have used a friend's account).

Fyi, I'm on a 300Mbps unifi, with an average 3ms ping 99% of the time. I'm also planning to use LAN for my astro plug and play.

Thanks in advance!

This post has been edited by vickno: Jul 2 2022, 02:12 AM
vickno
post Jul 2 2022, 12:29 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(weareblahs @ Jul 2 2022, 10:59 AM)
According to my own experience:

1. Yes. Plug and Play shares the same stream with Astro GO.
2. About 30-45 seconds when using Plug and Play.
3. Yes. Satellite will have up to 2 seconds of delay, but it's technically true "live" football.
Thanks again for the reply.. So satellite it is then. Follow up question:

1) Is Astro still using that 65cm Beyond dish?
2) Is the 4k channel broadcasted via Satellite?
3) How's the 4k sports broadcast via satellite? Is it still stable?
4) So even if I install the satellite, I'll still have the continuous watch option via internet right as a resiliency?
5) Lately I've gone thru the forum and news outlets, Astro had a major blackout some months ago, has it been stable now via satellite?
6) How's the Dolby Atmos and HDR during the Euro? Do they have Atmos for EPL or CL coverage?

Once again, thanks a million for answering my questions.
vickno
post Jul 2 2022, 02:52 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Jul 2 2022, 12:49 PM)
1) Yes
2) Astro SuperSport UHD channel is available on both satellite and plug & play. It's just that with the Plug & Play one, there will be a delay compared to satellite.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, but do note that Continuous Watching is not available for UHD channels. It's available for SD and HD channels only. So during heavy rain, you'll still see SCNA message on UHD channels, but Continuous Watching message will appear when you tune to SD and HD channels. Of course, your box must be connected to the Internet for this feature to work. Otherwise it'll still be the same old SCNA message.
5) Oh, you mean Measat 3 satellite outage occurred back in June 2021? That was a year ago... The old Measat 3 satellite has retired, and all Astro channels are now transmits from Measat 3b satellite. It is very rare to have satellite outage one, now no issue already, so don't worry...
6) All Euro 2020 matches has HDR. Only selected final matches are available in Atmos during Euro 2020.
If I'm not mistaken, Euro 2020 is the only live sports event that Astro used to offers in Dolby Atmos.
EPL events don't have HDR.
The rest of the sports events, are offered up to Dolby 5.1 only.
Thanks again for explaining! Appreciate it.
vickno
post Jul 2 2022, 02:53 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Jul 2 2022, 12:49 PM)
1) Yes
2) Astro SuperSport UHD channel is available on both satellite and plug & play. It's just that with the Plug & Play one, there will be a delay compared to satellite.
3) Yes.
4) Yes, but do note that Continuous Watching is not available for UHD channels. It's available for SD and HD channels only. So during heavy rain, you'll still see SCNA message on UHD channels, but Continuous Watching message will appear when you tune to SD and HD channels. Of course, your box must be connected to the Internet for this feature to work. Otherwise it'll still be the same old SCNA message.
5) Oh, you mean Measat 3 satellite outage occurred back in June 2021? That was a year ago... The old Measat 3 satellite has retired, and all Astro channels are now transmits from Measat 3b satellite. It is very rare to have satellite outage one, now no issue already, so don't worry...
6) All Euro 2020 matches has HDR. Only selected final matches are available in Atmos during Euro 2020.
If I'm not mistaken, Euro 2020 is the only live sports event that Astro used to offers in Dolby Atmos.
EPL events don't have HDR.
The rest of the sports events, are offered up to Dolby 5.1 only.
Thanks for the info!
vickno
post Jul 2 2022, 04:12 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Jul 2 2022, 01:34 PM)
1) yes. You just need a new LNB to receive the 4K channels

2) yes

3) yes. I am watching F1 on UHD regularly

4) depends

5) has been stable so far

6) Football does not have HDR IIRC. Only F1 has HDR for now. For HDR content, usually Astro will add a pop up channel specially for the event. For example, while most sports are on channel 780 for UHD, F1 HDR is on channel 781
Thanks for the info!
vickno
post Jul 26 2022, 07:53 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

Hi guys,

I'm a new Astro subscriber, so far my "journey" has been very bad.

19th July:
I subscribed via astro's website, opted for the sports package (current promo 59.99 for 6 months). I also selected satellite and was subjected to RM99 during installation. During checkout, I had to pay RM59.99 (without tax and tax was due to be paid when I get 1st month bill). I then immediately received an acknowledgement email from noreply-astro.com.my

"Your order has been successfully submitted and is currently being processed.

You may be contacted by an Astro Representative within the next 2 working days to validate your order.

Please expect an email on your all new Astro go access within the next few hours and start watching.

Kindly find a copy of your order summary below for your reference:
Order Summary
Paid RM59.99
Following months RM63.60
One-time fee RM99.00
Note: Pay Now amount is only TV subscription excludes service tax. This will be deducted from your first month's bill."

20th July:
I emailed to myorder@astro.com.my as I DID NOT receive any email in "next few hours to start watching". Again no reply till date for this email sent!!

Also 20th July:
I whastapped CS, long story short they gave me my account number and said my new subscription is being processed and ask me to try to link with my account number to start watching astro go. I tried to link but kept getting error "your account doesn't match our record or it's not permitted for linking, please call". I reported this to the WhatsApp CS, then the person said need to wait for smart card to activate.

Near in mind my payment of RM59.99 has been confirmed (not floating) in my CC.

22nd July:
I whastapped CS again asking for status, now after checking I got the below reply:

"Sorry sir, I can't check from my side. If this account register under agent I can pass to that agent for futher assist. For this problems, please directly contact us at 039543383 in the technical section for more information."

So I then called CS, this time technical assistance. 1st person who attended me, gave me my account number and transferred me to a tech. Then I explained in great detail to the tech, then the tech person said my new application has no installation assignment yada yada yada.. and said will escalate accordingly and I have to wait for installer to contact via SMS or call. I then said why I still can't stream via astro go, by right I should since I've paid RM59.99 and per the initial email, I should have gotten access to Astro go. She then checked and checked and then guided me to link account, error again, then asked me to reset password, did it while CS was on the line with me and then tried to link account, fail again, then finally she ask did I receive an email to activate or link astro go, I said No and I have been waiting for that email for days now, then CS says I have to wait for that email and then follow that link. CS said will escalate that as well, guess what, till now, 26th July 7.50am, status quo, I've not heard from Astro anything.

Question to this forum:
1) Is this normal guys?
2) What should I do now? As my money has been paid.
3) Worth reporting to MCMC?

There's a lousy feeling already before onboarding. Thanks guys in advance.

Edit: Called technical support again today, they informed that the application is suspended due to insufficient documents. I was advised to call telemarketing. I then called the telemarketing department and explained the entire situation. They checked and informed that the account I applied via astro's website has been suspended due to lack of documents attributing to a possible issue with the website. I was then assisted to apply over the phone and the Tele marketer claimed that many had issues applying for new account online and eventually assisted by telemarketer. So with them applying for me, I would get my satellite installed as early as this Saturday or next Monday.

Thanks guys!

This post has been edited by vickno: Jul 26 2022, 10:37 AM
vickno
post Jul 26 2022, 02:53 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Jul 26 2022, 01:15 PM)
1. Is this normal, you ask? How does this even sound normal? šŸ¤£
Based on what you explained, it seems to suggest that this may be the result of their not-so-well-planned automated/backend systems of their overall online sign up process, which as a result, poor customer experience.
2 & 3. Wait and see for couple of days. If still doesn't solve, then I think this is worthy to become a MCMC complaint.
This part... Insufficient documents? What documents are they asking from you? Isn't it supposed to be dealt with during sign up process, rather than "suspend" the application after the sign up process?
1) it clearly looks like a disaster in their backend system.
2) yeah.. let's see..
3) Per the newer application I did today over the phone with the assistance of the telemarketing, the documents were IC front and back and my selfie for verification (today I sent these via WhatsApp). Looks like Astro's online system was supposed to have had requested for these however during my sign-up last week, that didn't work and I didn't have to upload my IC etc. So when the system didn't identify my documents, automatically suspended and they couldn't proceed with this account and hence I had to apply a newer account Total mess up. Anyways now I have a fresh application. I have been advised to request for a refund calling CS, billing department and quote the suspended account.šŸ˜“šŸ˜“
vickno
post Aug 3 2022, 12:05 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

Hi guys,

New Astro subscriber here (Ultra box+sport pack+satellite).
I notice that there is no UHD content on VOD.. only have the 805 channel. Even the installer was shocked when looking for a demo UHD via VOD.. he then eventually demo via UHD sports channel.

Question, can any of you guys see any UHD content on VOD?
Also not sure if it matters, my box was once forced updated during installation and then 1 days later under standby mode, it auto updated again.Maybe the latest update "removed" the UHD content in VOD by Astro?

Thanks

This post has been edited by vickno: Aug 3 2022, 12:10 AM
vickno
post Aug 3 2022, 05:50 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

Hey guys,

So I've been reading through the forum (going back some months etc.). I notice there's a general hatred/frustration for the Ultra box and special love for PVR box. I'm just trying to understand how bad is the Ultra box? As I'm new to Ultra box, Iā€™m a little troubled at the comments I read, if I made the right decision to come back.

I've been using the Ultra box for about 4 days now... I'm not surprised the HD quality and audio is average, most channels are not great (expected) and the UHD is ok while the box tends to hang quite a bit but I notice nice smoothness with the GUI etc.. Is the PVR box audio/visual quality much superior compared to Ultra?

I don't find the logics in that as the compression is done from the studio level and broadcasted to the set-top box. If Astro fix the compression level, container type for the A/V, then I believe across board we would see an increase in broadcasting quality. I also notice the audio is rather messed up especially UHD 805. While watching replays of EPL, audio is nasty. Somehow only EPL. The ads and replay of an European football match on 805, the audio was fine. EPL on ASSP HD channels, audio is generally standard unlike the UHD channel. Too much pink noise, static especially the commentatorā€™s voice. Only solution I found was to downgrade the audio setting from Dolby Atmos (DD+) to Dolby digital in the Ultra, best was to change it to Stereo PCM. I donā€™t know if the feed received from England is the issue or Astro.

This post of mine is just to understand the sentiment between PVR box vs Ultra box as I donā€™t see a correlation in the quality of broadcast vs type of box used. I can understand the way the boxes handle and behave but can the audio and visual quality differ between boxes of the same satellite broadcast?

My current Ultra setup ā€“ Satellite connection

About my overall experience with Astro in the past:

I've used Astro in the past, and used various setup boxes such as the Philips, Nokia, was also the beta HD user during the pilot launch of HD <Byond with and without PVR> and eventually terminated Astro due to the usual obvious reasons <A/V compression, costly and repetitive programs>. I then went on to other sources (You name it, Iā€™ve used) and decided to come back to Astro mainly for sports. I need my football to be live, been in ā€œagonyā€ for years of people cheering 40sec to 1 min before me, buffers, login issue etc.

Once again, itā€™s good to see the community here active and trying to help each other! Truly appreciate all feedbacks and assistance. Sorry for the rather long post. innocent.gif

This post has been edited by vickno: Aug 3 2022, 06:00 AM
vickno
post Aug 3 2022, 02:28 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(Feliex @ Aug 3 2022, 10:05 AM)
Do you subscribe to Movie pack? Under movie category should have 4K content (easier way)
Ah! This might explain my situation.. I don't have movies pack, only sport package. Thank you!
vickno
post Aug 3 2022, 02:35 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Aug 3 2022, 10:20 AM)
For me I just prefer the PVR box because of the old UI, which I can set a reminder for an upcoming programme and it will auto switch to that channel automatically. You can't do this with the new Ultra Box's GUI (I have both boxes mind you)

Image quality wise, I have no issues to be honest. I presume it might be due to the PVR box directly output 1080i signal (this is what Astro is broadcasting with satellite) and the de-interlacing is done on the TV using the TV's processor, while for Ultra Box, the Ultra Box itself has to do the de-interlacing as it outputs at 1080p, so some people might find the de-interlacing from the box sub-par compared to their own tv.

but that's just my two cents. My TV is so cheap I can barely see the difference.
Agreed on the reminder function, was very useful and missing in the ultra.

Interesting observation about the interlacing behaviour between 2 boxes this could cause a difference in picture quality between 2 boxes (may not be massively noticeable for many people normally).

Thanks!
vickno
post Aug 4 2022, 01:26 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Aug 3 2022, 11:26 PM)
I'll split my reply into separate post, as a differentiator of a separate topic.
Just wanna understand better... Could u guys give an example situation on when would you use programme reminder feature?
Here's an example I can think of.

Dad wants the Astro box to "auto switch" to the channel itself to channel 501 at 7:45pm, so that he can straightaway able to watch Astro Awani primetime news, without manually pressing channel 501 himself.
He don't want to record it. He don't want to "watch later". He don't want to "watch On Demand". He want to watch it right now, LIVE, but sometimes he may "forget" confused.gif
So he's hoping that "Set a Reminder" feature on the Astro box can help him auto change to that channel almost immediately as the programme starts. This will be helpful to ensure that he don't "forget", like an alarm clock.
Of course, with a pop-up window appears just 1 minute before the programme starts; before it auto change to that channel, just like the current HD/PVR box feature has.

He's able to use this Programme Reminder feature on HD box or PVR box, but since this probably-not-so-popular feature doesn't exist on Ulti/Ultra Box, hence that makes one of the reasons preventing him from upgrading to Ulti/Ultra Box

Is it something like this? Any other example situations on when would you guys use it?  hmm.gif
Yep, that's right! Useful but not a deal breaker for me with Ultra.
vickno
post Aug 4 2022, 01:31 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Aug 3 2022, 11:26 PM)
In my opinion, in terms of HD picture quality between HD/PVR and Ulti/Ultra Box, both looks the same to me.
But one of the thing I don't like is, the GUI on the Ulti/Ultra Box looks not sharp, which might explains on what Feliex described as "720p" look.
*For those who don't know, GUI means graphical user interface

All the on-screen texts, buttons, menus you see on Ulti/Ultra Box, it just looks blurry. I suspect they reduce the DPI or the display resolution of the GUI to avoid overloading the Ultra Box's GPU.
If you compare with their Smart TV app, you will realise that GUI there is so much sharper, so much "HD" look.
Yeah, I can relate to this.. The GUI is not sharp.. I thought it my eye tongue.gif

Hopefully Astro get this sorted (maybe 10 years down the road). wink.gif
vickno
post Aug 4 2022, 01:40 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Aug 3 2022, 11:27 PM)
I recommend you to read this: Comparison of the recording feature between PVR box versus Ulti/Ultra Box
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...#entry100498320
It is a long long post, so take your time to read it.
Thank you for the link.Ā  notworthy.gif

As I'm new to Ultra box, Iā€™m a little troubled at the comments I read, if I made the right decision to come back.
Since you're new to Ultra Box, then just forget the past about Astro, and start fresh.Ā  biggrin.gif
thumbsup.gif

I've been using the Ultra box for about 4 days now...Ā  while the box tends to hang quite a bit but I notice nice smoothness with the GUI etc..
4 days only..... Your first good impression towards Ultra Box still there. Try continue using it for few months, then you'll know.Ā  biggrin.gif
Haha.. UnderstoodĀ   blink.gif

Is the PVR box audio/visual quality much superior compared to Ultra?
To me, it is either the same, or better than PVR box.
Ultra Box supports 4K UHD HDR and Dolby Atmos, while PVR box supports Full HD and Dolby 5.1.
If you see the forumers here saying that HD/PVR box appears to have better visual quality than Ultra Box or something, it is actually referring to "something else", not the actual picture quality of the channel.
That's what I thought as well, the broadcasting image has to be the same across all devices via Satellite.

I also notice the audio is rather messed up especially UHD 805. While watching replays of EPL, audio is nasty. Somehow only EPL. The ads and replay of an European football match on 805, the audio was fine. EPL on ASSP HD channels, audio is generally standard unlike the UHD channel. Too much pink noise, static especially the commentatorā€™s voice. Only solution I found was to downgrade the audio setting from Dolby Atmos (DD+) to Dolby digital in the Ultra
I donā€™t know if the feed received from England is the issue or Astro.

Email them a long essay detail complaint to wecare@astro.com.my, and see what they say.
Yep, will do..Thanks

Sorry for the rather long post.
Long post? You haven't seen mine šŸ¤£

biggrin.gif
This post has been edited by vickno: Aug 4 2022, 01:43 AM
vickno
post Aug 6 2022, 11:32 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

Hi guys,

1) So I notice there's an ad hoc channel added in Astro Go (CH 795). Question, will this be added to the set-top box broadcast or only exclusive to Astro Go? I tried to manually type 795 on Ultra box but it auto navigate me to CH 800.

2) I notice UHD channel is only showing a total of 2 EPL matches this whole week while in the UK, there's at least 5 UHD matches being broadcasted live. Is this normal with Astro, under-broadcasting UHD games? Defeats the purpose right of having a UHD channel and very limited material? I can understand if it's shared with other sports like F1 or German league, but none is shown as well, so there' are slots for live broadcast.

Thanks guys in advance.

This post has been edited by vickno: Aug 6 2022, 11:38 AM
vickno
post Aug 6 2022, 12:27 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Aug 6 2022, 11:36 AM)
Mencuri tu berdosa
vickno

1. Some EPL pop up matches are Astro Go exclusive for some reason. I noticed this for a few season already. I presume Astro don't want to waste satellite bandwidth for a few matches?

2. Maybe due to rights in this region? I checked Singtel's Premier League schedule, and they are also showing only two 4K matches
user posted image
Hmm.. based on SG broadcast, could be some broadcaster's rights package or something.. potong stim la.. was it like this last season? Like 2 games per week in UHD? Thanks bud!
vickno
post Nov 13 2022, 02:14 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

Hi guys, are your TVs activating HLG (HDR) on UHD channels? Normally my projector will auto enable HLG, somehow is not now. I have even isolated different cable and isolated my Av receiver. I also tried HLG via YouTube and HLG is kicking in on my projector. So something seems wrong with my Ultra box (satellite). Any recommendations? Reset box or should I call Astro?
vickno
post Nov 13 2022, 02:58 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 13 2022, 02:53 PM)
Your HDMI cable is connected directly from Ultra Box to your projector, without going through any HDMI switcher or splitter whatsoever, right?
You tried reboot your Ultra Box still same?
Yep, directly connected, also did a power boot many times, still HLG doesn't pass to my projector. So I assume HLG is fine for your TV?
vickno
post Nov 14 2022, 08:18 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 13 2022, 06:57 PM)
My bad... When I tune to channel 805 earlier, it appears that the channel is currently not in HDR HLG anymore.
It's back to the normal SDR... ohmy.gif
Previously during and after Euro 2020, I can confirm that HDR HLG is available on that channel.
But now, the picture settings on my Samsung TV shows that the Gamma is BT.1886 now.

Not sure what's the reason behind this, but my guess would be lot of people complain that the channel "appears darker on their TV" šŸ¤·
So instead of getting compliments of having a HDR channel, they got tremendous complaints instead, so maybe they disable it for the time being... I don't know, it's just my guess.

Hopefully they'll bring HDR back in the upcoming Qatar FIFA World Cup 2022.
Like I said before, they should've provide an option for user to enable and disable HDR output on the Ultra Box. sweat.gif
Ah! Ok thanks, at least I know that my devices are fine. Panic for nothing.. haha.. I agree, HDR aka HLG should be an option to enable/disable. For many, with poor tone mapping displays, it will looked washed out. Regards to world cup, they have been promoting "all 64 matches live in HDR".. so I guess they will enable back.

Anyways, thanks again bro!

This post has been edited by vickno: Nov 14 2022, 08:19 AM
vickno
post Nov 21 2022, 01:56 AM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(NewB-MX @ Nov 21 2022, 12:23 AM)
I don't get HDR on Astro channels showing the World Cup. Tried 2 TVs (both support HDR10, HLG & DV).

Channel 805 has Atmos but none has HDR.

Anyone has HDR?
Yeah.. no HDR (HLG) for me also.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0350sec    0.43    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:24 PM