> Astro Version 13A, All about Astro Malaysia offerings

views

fruitie
post Apr 2 2021, 04:14 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

Astro has been calling us non-stop to change our box to Ultra Box, we are using UniFi 500Mbps at home. Is my understanding correct whereby live channels still depend on the outdoor satellite dish while only VOD can be accessed with Internet? Is this a good idea to upgrade? We are not using 4K TV at home though.

Also, I will move to my own place in a few more months and I plan to install Astro too, I will have 4K TV, so should I straight opt for Ultra Box? It is a high rise prop in case this matters.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Thanks.

This post has been edited by fruitie: Apr 2 2021, 04:21 PM
fruitie
post Apr 2 2021, 08:32 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Apr 2 2021, 08:25 PM)
Yes fruitie, your understanding is correct. I too just moved to ultra box when there was a promotion, 2 /3months ago. And then upgraded my TV later....

Only VOD is internet based and some of its show is in 4K most of are on 1080, but much clearer than standard live channel.
How’s your feedback so far? Compared to the old decoders?
fruitie
post Apr 2 2021, 09:33 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Apr 2 2021, 09:06 PM)
My previous model was not PVR, didnt upgrade then, bcoz was in the notion of cancelling Astro, but you know la, old folks, like to watch drama, so maintained for them.

I like the box its sleek and nice and the fron t red light suits my cabinet showcase well! hahaha

The UI is better user friendly and arranged nicely, especialy the VOD, which I use the most. It has boxset (past series, movies, etc) has category for kids, family, action, etc.

I like the recording on cloud as well, so we dont need a HDD.

But it tend to get a little hot, previously I had Hypptv box placed on it, but due to the heat have to place is elsewhere.

Currently watching all the Jackie Chan movie which been classified on VOD!  rclxm9.gif

OH ya, I upgraded the remote when they installed the box, hmmmm cant remember now whether it was 20 or 30 bucks, but worth it, since it has the pvr control button (play/rev/fwd), etc But it would have been nicer if it was a flat remote rather than curved like the previous astro remote. The original remote that comes looks and feels better
Same here. Not PVR type at the moment.

I actually like Astro’s VOD function as I use it a lot on Astro Go.

Noted on the remote part. I’m not sure if I can have it later for my own place since my situation is a bit complicated.
fruitie
post Apr 2 2021, 10:00 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Apr 2 2021, 09:44 PM)
I believe he meant using the PVR remote,, the ultra box supports Astro remote control from  1st gen HD/ Astro byond box (DMT4) onwards
May I know which type of remote control is given for ultra boxes?

A) https://shopee.com.my/product/63170262/6658...60-1617371926.9

B) https://shopee.com.my/product/63170262/3683...60-1617371982.9
fruitie
post Apr 2 2021, 10:17 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Apr 2 2021, 10:10 PM)
THis is the remote...

user posted image

Left is the one that I paid for and on the right is original ruwido remote.
What I meant was, I could mimic that operation by selecting "Play from Start" and then you can forward/rewind up to the LIVE transmission thats playing.
OK, got it. thumbup.gif
fruitie
post Apr 3 2021, 01:00 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 2 2021, 11:24 PM)
Normal la. It is the Astro's telemarketing or upsell team doing their job.
If you are referring to the normal Astro DTH order that uses satellite dish one, then yes.
Upon upgrade to Ultra Box, it'll still connect to the satellite dish to receive TV channels, and also to Internet connection via WiFi/LAN to access to Astro's cloud streaming services (e.g. VOD, cloud recording, Play from Start,...).
Yes and no. Read my follow post to know further, by comparing with Astro PVR box and Ulti/Ultra Box.
Does your high rise property allow residents to install own dish at the balcony, or must connect to the centralised dish?
If it is centralised dish, make sure your building's centralised antenna supports PVR & Ultra Box (Technically, it's called DCSS). If you're not sure, contact building management and ask whether the Astro centralise antenna system supports DCSS or not.
If it doesn't support DCSS, then when you tune to Astro UHD channels, you will see "Services Currently Not Available (SCNA)" message appear on your TV (no satellite signal). You can still watch all SD and HD channels.

Talking about 4K UHD TV, hmmm, Astro is having a contest where they will giveaway 51 units of 4K UHD TVs, at their UEFA Euro 2020 roadshow at Sunway Pyramid, from 1-4 April 2021.
https://promotions.astro.com.my/details/Euro2020Contest

Do note that your 4K UHD TV must be HDCP 2.2 complaint to view UHD content. If not, or if you are using non-4K UHD TV, this message will appear on your TV screen whenever you tune to Astro UHD channels:
user posted image

Then that is something that you have to secretly deal with the installer.
For installers, as long you willing to pay them slightly more money, most likely they'll do it for you one. brows.gif Most importantly is, you know what you're doing then can already.
I will read your posts later. biggrin.gif
Can I still bring the box to another house which has similar dish installed? The reason why I asked is my parents do go back to our hometown sometimes and they will bring the decoder along. There is a satellite dish installed in our hometown. It works for current one though.

Must connect to the centralized one. I will ask my building management then. Thanks for the advice!

Should be OK I supposed; should be HDCP 2.2 compliant. I’m buying Sony 55” X80H, this is the specs: https://www.sony.com.my/electronics/televis.../specifications
If worst case scenario, I won’t be able to view UHD content but shouldn’t affect my other viewing experience right?

About the multi-room issue, I guess it’s considered sorted out. My colleague did the same and she said she will share her installer details with me later. I guess I better stop this conversation, feel guilty. laugh.gif

Last question, is it true multi-room follows the main account’s decoder? If main account is not using Ultra Box then I cannot have it for multi-room? unsure.gif

This post has been edited by fruitie: Apr 3 2021, 01:11 AM
fruitie
post Apr 3 2021, 01:30 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 3 2021, 01:16 AM)
Yes you can. Just bring the Astro box + power adapter , and also remote control and HDMI cable if the hometown there doesn't have it.

If it's new 4K UHD TV models, then no need to worry about HDCP 2.2 thinggy.
Yes correct. You can still watch SD and HD channels as usual.

Why feel guilty 🤣🤣🤣
Yes. If the primary account is not using Ultra Box, but you want the Multiroom one to be Ultra Box, that is also possible.

Hmmm actually it doesn't matter much though...
Cuz what Astro usually recommends is, why not assume you upgrade the primary one as Ultra Box, while the Multiroom one just maintain whatever existing box you're using now?  hmm.gif

And, feel free to ask as many questions as you like.  smile.gif
Good to hear that then no reason why I don’t want to upgrade for my parents. We are still using the basic decoder which is for TV only, not even PVR box. I read your comparison just now, thanks I made up my mind to upgrade for my parents.

Yeah I just read it’s HDCP 2.3 so should be no issue at all.

Guilty because I know it’s not right to do that at different address. tongue.gif

I see because my colleague said, the installer who helped her said if primary account is not using Ultra Box then other multi-room accounts cannot have as well. Yeah, not a big problem especially I will upgrade for my parents now. rclxms.gif
fruitie
post Apr 3 2021, 01:45 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 3 2021, 01:42 AM)
Ohh then yes, it's time to upgrade to the Ulti Box or Ultra Box  biggrin.gif
Hmmm... console.gif  console.gif
If you feel guilty, then just subscribe to the standalone Astro subscription on a different address lor...  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif Don't use the Multiroom "tactics" to "save money".  tongue.gif Then you won't feel guilty anymore.
The telemarketers keep telling us they won’t change our satellite dish and we thought they were just lying because if that’s changed, my parents cannot watch Astro anymore if they are back in hometown. laugh.gif Looks like they are right after all.

Shh. tongue.gif

fruitie
post Apr 5 2021, 04:48 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 5 2021, 09:18 AM)
PVR box also same. It only remembers the credentials for 1 WiFi network only. It doesn't remember credentials from multiple WiFi networks with different SSIDs, like our phones and computers.
Huh? So that means I need to reconnect all the time? sweat.gif

Anyway, my management replied that my place is centralised dish with DCSS. biggrin.gif So, Ultra Box is coming...
fruitie
post Apr 10 2021, 02:11 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

Astro installer is coming later to change our basic decoder to Ultra Box. Few months later for my own house. rclxm9.gif
fruitie
post Apr 11 2021, 02:50 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

I was waiting at home for whole day and the installer didn't turn up! The worst thing is he is uncontactable, calls were not picked up, WhatsApp messages were not read.

Complained to Astro and Astro also tried contacting him but couldn't get him as well. Then our unit is already issued and if I didn't hear it wrongly, he has taken the unit hence other installer cannot jump in to install for us. doh.gif

I'm so disappointed by this whole experience. Can't really blame Astro but I really hope Astro can take action against this installer. I don't mind changing time or anything, but please at least pick up the phone! Unless if it is due to emergency situation, I don't think I will be silent for this issue and will definitely pursue further.

Now I'm not really sure when only I can get the Ultra box installed...
fruitie
post Apr 11 2021, 03:38 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 11 2021, 02:17 PM)
Ohhh sad sad.gif
Tell Astro to assign to different installer for you la...

What is the name and phone number of the installer that didn't show up? So that we can take extra precaution whenever that installer assigned to us in the future  bruce.gif
I did but Astro said assigning another installer will take longer time.

Anyway, long story short. Still no reply from installer and I noticed my WhatsApp messages were read. So I made a call to Astro again to check on latest update. While CS put me on hold, he managed to get this installer and was informed due to raining yesterday he didn’t come. doh.gif The thing is it wasn’t raining at all my place, this is pure irresponsible! Please at least inform your customer. Anyway, Astro apologized and while I was still talking to CS, this installer called and asked if he can come to our place now. I agreed and he came. My sister attended to him while I was having lunch and asked why he didn’t turn up yesterday, he again blamed it to the rain. My sister said we spent whole day waiting for him and even calls were not picked up and you don’t even let us know that you are not coming. He only said sorry and smiled to her. mad.gif He needed to tune at the outside dish so I know weather is important for him but at least can check with us or not? Yesterday our area not even one drop of rain can be seen.

Anyway, he managed to install for us and had issue with the receiver sensor which he fixed a new one as well. All good now but I was really angry.

Surname Yap though, from Seremban.

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Apr 11 2021, 03:33 PM)
let me guess...
Seremban Installer?
Based from Nilai or Mantin like that...

if yes.
then that guy really famous one...
many complains...
Yes but not sure if he’s from there. Surname Yap.

This post has been edited by fruitie: Apr 11 2021, 03:39 PM
fruitie
post Apr 11 2021, 03:50 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Apr 11 2021, 03:44 PM)
fruitie
okay.
seems like that guy...

u know what..
he does work like those delivery guys... take all the "orders".. then slowly delivery it.. by giving excuses... like rain, no one at home, not picking up phone (customer) etc.
I didn’t know I was that unlucky. He did tell my sister he has a lot of backlogs though. Luckily I did pursue hard with Astro. If he cannot do it, then don’t simply take orders. How did you know about him? Someone complained before?

He wanted to sell us the lightning protector which costs RM 55, we didn’t want it. laugh.gif The thing is he showed to us once it’s installed and the signal dropped, so I told him it’s OK. Then he said lightning can spoil our TV, I said old TV already and if that happens then only buy new TV. Anyway, it’s only RM 18 on Shopee.

This post has been edited by fruitie: Apr 11 2021, 03:52 PM
fruitie
post Apr 11 2021, 04:41 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Apr 11 2021, 04:03 PM)
well....
people I know in Seremban.. using astro keep complain....
astro HQ knows about this issues but keep silent only... not many installer available... this guy among the few who covers Negeri Sembilan areas... mostly his target is Nilai & Seremban... some Pilah & PD too.....

and if your box spoil... kaput...
he just change the box only. the remote he keep & bring back with him says only box spoil.  says remote still can use lorh  doh.gif
laugh.gif Seems like really bad name. I used to have good installers based in PD but this one tops the list of installers from hell. doh.gif
fruitie
post Apr 11 2021, 11:26 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Apr 11 2021, 10:51 PM)
Woah really ah?
I think we should have a List of Bad Performing Installers In The Region so that we can be mentally prepared towards installers with "disciplinary records" like what occurred to you...
Imagine if you take leave from your work, and you waited whole day for the installer to come to your house, yet the installer just don't show up, or show up late as per appointment time without informing. How irresponsible... shakehead.gif
Yet you can't contact that installer, yet even Astro CS agents themselves also can't contact that installer, then it's pretty much a dead end for you already. Then the problem is from the installer itself, not Astro already oh...

fruitie Surname Yap.... Tell us his full name, and his phone number also.  bruce.gif

List of Worst Performing Installers In The Region
Name: Yap _________
Phone number: ______________
Region: Seremban, Negeri Sembilan

If you guys know any poor performing installer's name and phone number, especially installers that has a history of "no show" ones, feel free to list them all out here.
Honestly I don’t know his full name. I didn’t bother to jot down. laugh.gif I only know his surname is Yap. Phone no., I think it’s not appropriate to share complete no., I will mask out a few no.: 019-9x119x9. I don’t think not many installer in Seremban that has the same surname with phone no. like this. Should be easily guessed if you are assigned to him. laugh.gif

Anyway, do you guys have any idea what’s channel 338? I couldn’t find this channel on Astro Guide but this Star Awards next week will be aired on this channel. Source: https://m.facebook.com/Astro/posts/10158897219959627

Or only on that day, this channel will miraculously appear?

fruitie
post Apr 11 2021, 11:45 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(sky3742 @ Apr 11 2021, 11:44 PM)
Pop up channel only for chinese awards show.
Previously also shown KKBOX award(this year not shown on 338), Golden Melody Award and Golden Horse Award from Taiwan.
Also previously pop up channel for cny movies on 2020.
Noted. Thanks for sharing! thumbup.gif
fruitie
post Apr 12 2021, 09:49 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(khainiz94 @ Apr 12 2021, 06:05 AM)
Wait it seems you did have a same installer like mine.
He was scheduled to change my decoder to Ultra Box as the date confirmed by Astro, but he delayed it by 2 days.
That time Astro did not even give the installer number.
Astro keep telling me installer will follow up.
Luckily that day he come on Saturday, so did not have any issue with it since it is off day.
He said to me have too many backlogs on installation and have to chase many orders.

But during installation, he did not know how to operate the Ultra Box, keep pressing here and there and I ask him, did Astro give training on this.
They schedule it a bit later because I am one of the selected people to receive Ultra Box early by two weeks, so he did not know much to operate it.
And he also did not know that he had to replace the LNB to dCSS in order to make sure Ultra Box works properly.
So he wasted his time at my house for almost 3 hours just to setup everything including my 2nd decoder Astro PVR in the bedroom.
LOL.
Kesian him that day, waste time at my house, and have 5 more appointments after mine.
If it is the same guy, I won't kesian him. laugh.gif
Pretty useless guy, sorry to call him like that but if he cannot deliver, then don't simply pick up the orders.
fruitie
post Apr 12 2021, 11:47 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(khainiz94 @ Apr 12 2021, 11:43 AM)
Hahaha.
Sabar.
Maybe he is the only installer that cover Seremban area?
Because I upgraded both my decoder in living room and bedroom at a different month, both got the same installer.
But I understand why you are angry, because you have take a EL just for installation of the decoder.
No, it was scheduled on a weekend, so no effect for me. I didn't take any leave moreover I'm working from home now.

What angers me is he didn't pick up any call! Even Astro also couldn't reach him. If he cannot make it, at least have the courtesy to inform customers. That's a basic working ethic, especially if you are in service line.
fruitie
post Apr 12 2021, 07:15 PM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

QUOTE(1to3for @ Apr 12 2021, 02:38 PM)
in this day and age, do we still need paid cable tv?
I have Astro, Netflix subscription and YouTube premium. Astro for parents mainly. I also subscribed to those TV box IPTV but it is not stable, still prefer Astro for live sports.
fruitie
post Apr 17 2021, 10:49 AM

Rise and Shine
Group Icon
Staff
66,068 posts

Can I ask do you all face no signal issue once a while when using the Ultra Box? I do face it sometimes and have to press back button on the remote to resume the live channel.

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0344sec    0.53    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 2nd July 2022 - 11:03 PM