Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro Version 13A, All about Astro Malaysia offerings

views

joshhd
post Dec 8 2022, 01:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(hyalbert @ Dec 6 2022, 02:24 PM)
Astro installer came yesterday to replace PVR with Ultra Box but did not change the LNB Universal type to DCSS type. He informed that he was not supplied the DCSS to change at the satellite dish. Upon installation, my TV could receive the UHD transmission with HDR at channel 805 and the installer maintained that there is no need to change the LNB. He asked me to contact Astro CS if I still want to change to the DCSS LNB.

I then called CS and was informed that Ultra Box and 4KTV which is HDCP 2.2 compliant are only required to receive UHD transmission. I told her that would be the requirements for Plug and Play installation but as my case involved the satellite dish why no LNB change but she replied not necessary for the LNB change as my TV was already receiving the 805 transmission.

However later on in the day when reading the Ultra Box Installation Guide (the installer left it inside the carton box during his installation) I found out on Page 17 on Satellite Antenna Connection where the DCSS is specifically mentioned.

So why did the installer and CS staff still maintain no need to change LNB to DCSS? I give the benefit to the installer that he was not provided with the DCSS as it was not difficult for him to get to the satellite dish at my house as it was installed at the balcony area on the first floor and he could just sit there to change the LNB.

I have since written to wecare@Astro on this matter.

Like to check whether any of you have recently changed to the Ultra Box using satellite connection and was the the LNB changed ?

Also what are the problems if the LNB is not changed to DCSS type using the Ultra Box ?

So what you trying to say is, you are able to view channel 805 even when you are using the normal Universal LNB?

You press home>Settings>Satellite Settings>LNB Setup.
Did you see "Universal" as part of the drop down menus for Input Source?

In the meantime, I'll try go dig around for more info on this...
QUOTE(abangcosta @ Dec 8 2022, 08:58 AM)
I believe there is need to change the satellite dish LNB to DCSS if you want to view UHD via satellite.
Aside from emailing to Astro, maybe you can also report to MCMC like I've done before.
Seems like the MCMC card have been very effective as Astro CS called me immediately after they received the report lol.

Wait... Don't so fast go to MCMC first... See what they say on wecare email reply first.
joshhd
post Dec 10 2022, 11:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(hyalbert @ Dec 6 2022, 02:24 PM)
Astro installer came yesterday to replace PVR with Ultra Box but did not change the LNB Universal type to DCSS type. He informed that he was not supplied the DCSS to change at the satellite dish. Upon installation, my TV could receive the UHD transmission with HDR at channel 805 and the installer maintained that there is no need to change the LNB. He asked me to contact Astro CS if I still want to change to the DCSS LNB.

I then called CS and was informed that Ultra Box and 4KTV which is HDCP 2.2 compliant are only required to receive UHD transmission. I told her that would be the requirements for Plug and Play installation but as my case involved the satellite dish why no LNB change but she replied not necessary for the LNB change as my TV was already receiving the 805 transmission.

However later on in the day when reading the Ultra Box Installation Guide (the installer left it inside the carton box during his installation) I found out on Page 17 on Satellite Antenna Connection where the DCSS is specifically mentioned.

So why did the installer and CS staff still maintain no need to change LNB to DCSS? I give the benefit to the installer that he was not provided with the DCSS as it was not difficult for him to get to the satellite dish at my house as it was installed at the balcony area on the first floor and he could just sit there to change the LNB.

I have since written to wecare@Astro on this matter.

Like to check whether any of you have recently changed to the Ultra Box using satellite connection and was the the LNB changed ?

Also what are the problems if the LNB is not changed to DCSS type using the Ultra Box ?
QUOTE(PRSXFENG @ Dec 7 2022, 02:47 PM)
For the last one
Refer to this post for info
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...ost&p=104033619

DCSS LNB is no longer mandatory for Ultra Box installations?
Since the official launch of Ultra Box in 2019, it's been a known fact that you need DCSS LNB to receive 4K UHD channels. If you're not using one, then the installers are supposed to use or replace to the DCSS LNB on your Astro satellite dish (except for those who've been using SatCR LNB prior to this).
But I'm not sure since exactly when, but it appears that Astro has been quietly change this rule, and now saying that the usage of DCSS LNB are no longer mandatory for Ultra Box, and you can continue using your existing conventional Universal LNB to receive 4K UHD channels. And that, I was so surprised... shocking.gif shocking.gif shocking.gif
user posted image

Tbh I find it hard to believe, until when I go through the Satellite Settings on my Ultra Box, and I notice that "Universal" option has appeared as part of the "LNB Type" option, which is something that I never ever see before on Ultra Box... shocking.gif
user posted image

user posted image
Yes, you saw that correctly. Pictures you see above is from Astro Ultra Box, not Ulti Box ya.

Earlier, I tried to swap my Astro dish's LNB to my old Universal LNB (which I've kept it for spare), and upon selecting "Universal" as LNB Type, and I can confirm that I am able to receive UHD channel 805 like normal, and no SCNA message whatsoever... nod.gif biggrin.gif
user posted image

So far I don't see this information being updated on Astro's support webpages (if you do, let me know), so I assume that this is a "secret" that they don't want too many people to know yet. sweat.gif
Anyway, I find this a very good news to majority of the users and installers out there, considering the technical difficulties in using DCSS LNB for some customers is now a thing of the past.
I've been digging some info from reliable sources, and I've been told that Astro will still continue using DCSS LNB in certain installation situations, especially for those who have Multiroom boxes (2 or more Astro boxes) at home.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Scenarios above applies for individual Astro satellite dish installations only (e.g. Astro dish install at your balcony, rooftop,...)
I believe for those who stay in apartment/condos/buildings that uses centralised dish, most likely you still won't be able to receive UHD channels on your Ultra Box even when you change the LNB Setup settings to "Universal".
So, it's either you continue persuade your building management to upgrade to DCSS LNB system, or install own Astro dish at the balcony (if your building management allows), or you'll just have to opt for Ultra Box Plug & Play instead.

This post has been edited by joshhd: Dec 10 2022, 11:06 PM
joshhd
post Dec 11 2022, 01:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(dattebayo @ Dec 10 2022, 11:53 PM)
why Nord VPN unable to bypass location restriction for Astro Go

roaming on Msian telco can do the trick but data is limited

want to use hotel wifi + VPN but Astro Go is too smart to detect it? How come

want to watch World Cup

why Nord VPN unable to bypass location restriction for Astro Go
Ermm, why do you think Astro can't be smart enough to detect that there will be people out there using some kinds of VPN or proxy to bypass geolocation?

If you're not in Malaysia, then you're out of luck laa...

This post has been edited by joshhd: Dec 11 2022, 01:10 PM
joshhd
post Dec 11 2022, 01:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(hyalbert @ Dec 11 2022, 12:49 PM)
Hi Joshhd, many thanks for your feedback.

Meantime, Astro CS has reverted with a holding reply, quoted as follows:
We apologise for the inconvenience caused. We have forwarded your inquiry pertaining to the DCSS installation to our installation team. Kindly allow us to revert the findings to you within 3 to 5 working days.
Yes, regarding the Satellite Settings (LNB Setup) it is set to Universal for my Ultra Box.
But the Ultra Box Installation Guide clearly states in "Step 5 -Tuner Settings" that the LNB Type is selected as DCSS.
By continuing to use the Universal type, is there any impact on the overall optimal performance of the Ultra Box relating to UHD and Dolby Atmos/ DTS output?

3 to 5 working days? Ok lah, wait another 3-5 working days then sweat.gif

But the Ultra Box Installation Guide clearly states in "Step 5 -Tuner Settings" that the LNB Type is selected as DCSS.
Yes, as what I said earlier, I don't see this information being updated on Astro's support webpages (if you do, let me know), so I assume that this is a "secret" that they don't want too many people to know yet.

But then, technically it is possible to use Universal LNB to receive UHD channels on Ultra Box now.

By continuing to use the Universal type, is there any impact on the overall optimal performance of the Ultra Box relating to UHD and Dolby Atmos/ DTS output?
Nope. As long you don't use any cable splitter on the satellite cable connection, then basically I don't see anything to worry about.

Btw, there's no indication that Ultra Box supports DTS audio. It supports up to Dolby Atmos only.

This post has been edited by joshhd: Dec 11 2022, 01:19 PM
joshhd
post Dec 12 2022, 08:56 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(yenchenje @ Dec 12 2022, 07:35 PM)
Saw that Universal LNB is supported for UHD was an unknown fact.

https://paste.ee/r/wX7ro
Mediainfo from ASTRO UHD (MPEG-TS file) from Universal LNB connected to my Linux DVB-S2 box.

I have bought dual LNB/DCSS LNB to swap out from the original Universal LNB that came from when my house's DMT 880 was installed. Swapping from Universl to dual/DCSS I couldn't get find any transponder that has ASTRO UHD and Astro SuperSport UHD. Only the universal one worked to find the transponder that's carrying UHD channels. It's encrypted, of course, I lost a de-encrypted version of Astro UHD unfortunately and this is the only one I have left before the linux box died doh.gif

Not faked as you can see the EPG is carried from MEASAT into this file  biggrin.gif

DMT 880 is this
user posted image

Saw that Universal LNB is supported for UHD was an unknown fact.
I believe it is something that they quietly implemented not long ago, cuz I remember very clearly that there's no such "Universal" option for LNB Type few months ago.

Swapping from Universl to dual/DCSS I couldn't get find any transponder that has ASTRO UHD and Astro SuperSport UHD. Only the universal one worked to find the transponder that's carrying UHD channels.
If you are using DCSS LNB and you get SCNA message on UHD channel 805/806, try Update Satellite Frequency first:
https://support.astro.com.my/question/updat...-ultra-ulti-box
joshhd
post Dec 15 2022, 01:32 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(feed2doorsmhbm @ Dec 15 2022, 12:46 PM)
WHAT, CBEEBIES IS NOW ON ASTRO?! (That channel is came from UniFi TV) AND BBC PLAYER ON ULTRA BOX TOO?!

LOL? Out of nowhere, Astro suddenly launch BBC CBeebies channel? 🤨🤨🤨
Damn, what took them so long 🤣
joshhd
post Dec 17 2022, 12:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Dec 15 2022, 03:58 PM)
Temporary until 31st Jan lol laugh.gif
QUOTE(feed2doorsmhbm @ Dec 15 2022, 04:11 PM)
Oh yeah, right. I thought that use to be a permanent channel but they LIE.
Tom Cat: Don't you believe

According to https://promotions.astro.com.my/details/BBC
CBeebies seems like a permanent channel, and it is now opened for preview viewing until 31 Jan 2023.

user posted image

So to continue gain access to BBC CBeebies channel 620 from 1st Feb 2023 onwards, you need to be in Astro new packs, which is either Entertainment Pack, Entertainment Pack Plus, Premium Pack 2, Premium Pack 3, or Platinum Pack?
user posted image
Since there's no mention about legacy pack customers and even Kids pack, so I suppose that you won't be getting BBC CBeebies even if you have Kids pack included in your subscription? sweat.gif
joshhd
post Dec 17 2022, 12:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(hyalbert @ Dec 16 2022, 12:28 PM)
Received their reply last evening, as appended below:

Based on feedback received, previous Ultra box submission require no changes on LNB setting. Therefore, no DCSS installation done for your Ultra box.

The whole episode is apparently poorly managed by Astro.

At the onset, if it has been decided to maintain the Universal LNB when changing to Ultra Box, then a written notice to this effect from Astro should have been provided to the subscriber at time of installation to pre-empt any doubt of the subscriber why the installer is not changing to the dCSS type of LNB whereas the Installation Guide stated so.

In addition, the CS team should be fully briefed on this matter so that when a subscriber calls up to clarify why the LNB is not changed to the dCSS type when installing the Ultra Box, the CS should answer spot-on and not some unrelated matters like you need to have a 4K TV which is HDCP 2.2 compliant to receive UHD contents.

As I have been able to watch UHD transmission over channel 805 since installation of the Ultra Bos on 05 Dec and also, there are no interruptions to all the other channels under my subscription, I would leave the matter as it is. Many thanks to Joshhd for your feedback on this matter.

You're welcome. And I totally agree with what you said above (highlighted in bold) thumbsup.gif

Talking about CS answering unrelated matters to you, my response to you will be:
user posted image
joshhd
post Dec 17 2022, 12:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(shaun_kok @ Dec 17 2022, 12:20 AM)
user posted image

In program cover for channel that is unavailable on a platform

Taken via Gem on Unifi TV (Unifi exclusive, the ad they cover is promo for One, which is Astro exclusive)

Obviously ad replacement is common thing in Astro (and Unifi TV), which removes "irrelevant" ads. Most providers usually left the feed untouched (never a thing in Malaysia due to censorship purpose)

I have a question though: does Astro do so in program to remove promos for channels that are unavailable on Astro?

From what I observe, Astro doesn't blur ad banner on corner of the screen that promotes shows from channels that Astro doesn't offer.
But if it is during commercial break, then yes, Astro will replace some ads (especially "irrelevant" ads like promoting shows from channels that Astro doesn't offer), into either in-house ads or product advertisements.

So yes, sometimes I still see ad banner promoting shows from GEM and Animax (although Animax already ceased on Astro) on One (393).
But.... Nobody cares whistling.gif

In fact, if Astro blur the ad banner like what Unifi TV did, I believe most viewers that initially doesn't bother to look at corners of the screen (just focus watching on that show), will begin to notice "Eh, how come there's this blur thinggy on top left corner of the screen? What is Astro trying to censor?"
Seems like this will raise more questions than already is sweat.gif

Most providers usually left the feed untouched (never a thing in Malaysia due to censorship purpose)
Pay TV providers in Malaysia will always use the excuse that because they are a licensed broadcaster, therefore they have to comply the country's censorship guidelines.
But the way I see it, they seems to use this "fact" to justify the reasons to purposely delay the feed and slot-in own ads to benefit themselves and the advertisers.

This post has been edited by joshhd: Dec 17 2022, 11:41 AM
joshhd
post Dec 19 2022, 11:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(Iptvfan @ Dec 17 2022, 08:15 AM)
CBeebies is avialable on unifiTV for many years and is available on all packs from the RM30 vernacular pack. After I know unifiTv I never turn back to azzteroo (but I am not really a sports fan so ymmv). Azzteroo is really so expensive. Even this kids channel they should make it available on primary pack upwards instead of this and that. If they dont change their mindset in another 2-3 years it will be history and we will say “once upon a time in malaysia there was this company call astro. When it started everyone loves and desires it. But ultimately they become such a hated company because they refuse to listen to customers”
QUOTE(smileguy @ Dec 19 2022, 10:42 AM)
Long stigmatised as a demoded satellite broadcaster, Astro is working on bringing back lapsed subscribers with an unrivalled slate of SVOD services, it said.
Okay, we shall see in the next coming years sweat.gif
joshhd
post Dec 21 2022, 01:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

I got the info that Astro IPTV (Multicast) has cease its service effective today, and remaining users will have no choice but to either migrate to Plug & Play (For IP mode customers) or satellite (for hybrid mode customers) shocking.gif

Any Astro IPTV users here can confirm?
joshhd
post Dec 21 2022, 09:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(youngwolf2k @ Dec 21 2022, 04:35 PM)
Yes it seems to stop working last night at midnight or so (I was doing laundry that time). I just pressed the yellow button and continue watching via satellite after that.

However it seems to be working ok now (but I can't tell if it's via IP or via satellite now).
QUOTE(yenchenje @ Dec 21 2022, 04:47 PM)
If I had to guess it's probably to stop people from accessing udp/rtp streams, but then again pretty sure it's encrypted right, so no point blocking people from accessing when the key to decrypt it is in Astro's STB itself. So it's probably not working as well as they had hoped and wasn't up to standard, like how unifi is.  confused.gif

IT'S OFFICIAL: Astro IPTV is dead*
RIP: April 2013 ~ December 2022
user posted image
Astro IPTV has 2 types of installation modes:
1) Hybrid mode - Your PVR box connects to both Astro satellite dish and has a LAN cable connection to your router.
2) IP mode - Your PVR box connects to a LAN cable to your router. No Astro satellite dish involved.

After been digging some additional info from various of "reliable sources", here's what I can conclude:
- This cessation only affects customers on Maxis residing on TM infrastructure, so technically VLAN 823 is dead.
- Existing Astro IPTV customers residing under Maxis NGBB and TIME Fibre infrastructure are not affected, and will continue enjoying Astro IPTV Multicast service as usual.
- Free upgrade option to either Ulti or Ultra Box are offered to affected customers. No additional fee + no contract extension + maintain existing legacy pack option are available.
- By default, upon upgrade to Ulti or Ultra Box, your Astro box will be tagged as Satellite mode in their system (for existing hybrid mode customers), or will be tagged as Plug & Play mode in their system (for existing IP mode customers)

Affected Astro IPTV customers who still haven't or refuse to migrate to Ulti or Ultra Box:
- Hybrid mode customers: If the PVR box has connected to the satellite dish, you'll be receiving TV channels through Astro satellite dish, meaning you'll start to experience rain fade (no satellite signal during bad weather) just like any other regular Astro customers out there that isn't using Ulti or Ultra Box.
- IP mode customers: You'll be getting Network Connection Not Available (NCNA) error message on screen, hence you'll have no choice but to migrate to Ulti/Ultra Box to continue watching Astro; you may request for satellite mode installation if you want (satellite dish installation required, additional charges may apply).

If watching Astro via satellite dish is a concern to you because of rain fade, don't forget that both Ulti and Ultra Box has this Continuous Viewing feature that allows you to temporarily switch to Internet streaming mode when there's no satellite signal, hence you'll still be able to watch TV channels even during bad weather.
user posted image
Once you tune to other channel, it will automatically switches back to satellite reception mode.
joshhd
post Dec 21 2022, 10:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

Ansat Broadcast, MNC Group in direct-to-home TV joint venture
https://www.thesundaily.my/home/ansat-broad...ture-ML10396956

joshhd
post Dec 26 2022, 10:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(chuan1961 @ Dec 26 2022, 01:02 AM)
gang, where the hell is my library of recorded matches on the new astro go user page???
if it aint broke, dont fix it!!!

What match is it, and when was that programme recorded? hmm.gif
joshhd
post Dec 28 2022, 11:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Dec 27 2022, 09:01 PM)
The RTM's broadcast of the AFF Cup is 15 minutes delayed compared to Arena
QUOTE(nexona88 @ Dec 28 2022, 10:37 AM)
One bad side of FTA TV broadcast
Well it's free..
Cannot complain much 😎

Want to watch live
Subscribe to astro 😏

RTM to broadcast AFF Cup matches from tonight
https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/...s-from-tonight/
https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2022...ches-says-fahmi
“This broadcast by RTM is a free-to-air (FTA) broadcast and is subject to the terms of the exclusive broadcast rights contract, which means that FTA broadcasting stations are only allowed to broadcast the match 15 minutes later than the actual time,”
That's not Live broadcast anymore. It is called delayed telecast. dry.gif
Since Astro has the exclusive license for that sport event, so they can come out whatever rules they want...?
QUOTE(Iptvfan @ Dec 27 2022, 09:08 PM)
Is there a lot of people watching these football?

Apparently yes...
Fahmi said he was aware that many football fans in the country had requested for the 2022 AFF Cup matches to be broadcast on RTM channels.

“I have also discussed with youth and sports minister Hannah Yeoh, who also suggested the same thing,” he added.

This post has been edited by joshhd: Dec 28 2022, 11:07 PM
joshhd
post Dec 30 2022, 01:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(aniq8676 @ Dec 29 2022, 05:14 PM)
Does anyone who uses MR SmartTV get a discount of RM15?
Is this permanent?

This is the 5th month I got the RM15 discount

user posted image

If you still get discount, then senyap-senyap enjoy la.... Why say it out loud? 🤭🤭🤭
QUOTE(xxxgkssixxx @ Dec 29 2022, 11:55 PM)
Hi… just want to ask, if I want to change to new sports pack (with ultra box) and my home already have satelite dish, can I opt for self installation?

Can share the reason on why you prefer self-installation?

You mean "self-installation" as in Plug & Play mode, where they would courier the Ultra Box to your house and you set it up yourself?
Why would you opt for Plug & Play when you already have a satellite dish installed at your home? That seems like a "downgrade" to me... sweat.gif
Trust me, watching live TV channels through satellite dish is way more reliable than streaming live TV channels via internet.
joshhd
post Dec 30 2022, 05:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(laihuhng @ Dec 30 2022, 06:30 AM)
May I know if Astro Go is in HD, full HD or 4K?

Up to 720p only...
QUOTE(weareblahs @ Dec 30 2022, 07:51 AM)
Maximum resolution of live streams on Astro GO is 1280x720 / 720p, while the maximum resolution of VOD content on Astro GO is 1024x576 / 576p.

Whut? 🤨🤨 576p??
joshhd
post Dec 30 2022, 10:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(xxxgkssixxx @ Dec 30 2022, 07:02 PM)
Erm… I mean like I take back the ultra box and setup on my own, but still in satelite + internet mode. I guess the installation just need to connect to the existing cables? Correct me if im wrong 😅

You take back the Ultra Box.... from where? Astro service centre? And then set it up yourself? Nope you can't.

I guess the installation just need to connect to the existing cables?
Yes, but it is mandatory for them to send an installer to your house to carry out the installation, unless if you opt for Plug & Play upon order sign up.

Why? You want to curi-curi install elsewhere, is it?
In that case, let that Astro installer do his job by installing it at your house as usual. But after the installer leave your house, you want to dismantle and install elsewhere or whatever, it's your choice/risk to take. sweat.gif
joshhd
post Dec 30 2022, 10:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Dec 30 2022, 10:01 PM)
The Mediacorp Singapore broadcast of AFF cup has English commentary. Astro's one is only limited to Malay.

Hmm... Thanks for pointing that out...
Let me ask Astro on their fb page, and see what they say. smile.gif

Based on what I know best about Astro, the CS agent that saw my question/post will think that I'm giving them a suggestion, and they'll reply me by commenting "Thanks for the feedback/suggestion. We'll forward to the respective department for their consideration"
And then even till the AFF Cup ends on 16 Jan 2023, English audio commentary will still be not available on Astro Arena 2.

Let's see if I'll get it wrong this time or not... hmm.gif
So in the meantime, if you want to watch it in English commentary audio, watch it from Singapore's Mediacorp. sweat.gif
joshhd
post Dec 30 2022, 10:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

Astro denies customer information leaked amidst data leak allegations
https://soyacincau.com/2022/12/30/astro-den...ak-allegations/

190 Pages « < 157 158 159 160 161 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0326sec    0.22    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:15 PM