Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro Version 13A, All about Astro Malaysia offerings

views

joshhd
post Nov 24 2022, 01:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(enriquelee @ Nov 23 2022, 06:23 PM)
Yes, I called them 2 weeks ago, they say ok.
But today I whatsapp them to request for the switch, they reply me must change package.  mad.gif

Different agent, different set of knowledge.
Try end conversation with that agent quickly (Ok, thanks, bye), and then connect to another live agent. Repeat this until you get a more competent agent that can assist on your enquiry. You can also try connect to different agent at different times of the day too.

Do share with us on the outcome.
joshhd
post Nov 24 2022, 09:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(NewB-MX @ Nov 24 2022, 01:28 AM)
Just an update : No update from WeCare after I sent the requested info for my complaint (TV brand, model,etc) on 22.11.2022.

I spoke to CS last evening (23.11.2022}. The following happened :

(a) after going thru some 'hoops' (the system said my acc no. and IC no. were not in its system, and had to call back after 2 unsuccessful attempts n each time had to listen to the WC promo of matches in 4K UHD HDR,  but managed to get thru using my mobile no.;

(b) waited for easily 30 minutes before I managed to speak to a CS  agent. He kept wasting my time by repeating my complaint a few times until I told him to stop doing that n tell me the solution;

© agent also gave me the impression he didn't know the difference between 4K UHD and HDR; and

(d) agent put me on hold twice saying he needed to check with his superior. Then said his superior who is "more knowledgeable" in this matter had left (by then it was about 7.10pm and CS on phone nowadays is till 7pm only) and he will get in touch with me "as soon as possible".

Based on the experience of the past few days dealing with the CS, I suspect we will not get HDR.

If so, I plan to file complaints with the MCMC and MDTCA, and I urge those who are in the same boat do the same too. I am pretty sure if nothing else it tantamouts to false advertising which is an offence.

Interesting hmm.gif
Do keep us updated on the outcome.
joshhd
post Nov 24 2022, 11:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Nov 24 2022, 12:43 PM)
[attachmentid=11313983]

Finally HDR is back.

I just checked on my TV, and yes, I can confirm that HDR HLG is now back again on channel 805. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
QUOTE(kanelee @ Nov 24 2022, 01:15 PM)
Automatic right rather than manually selecting the HDR mode? I will test it out then when I get back from work

As long the Ultra Box detects that your TV supports HDR, then the HDR will enabled automatically as you tune to channel 805.
Currently, there's no option for you to manually disable HDR output on Ultra Box.
QUOTE(NewB-MX @ Nov 24 2022, 05:34 PM)
Yes, HDR is finally here (4 days "late").

But Astro has not formally replied me (e-mail or call) regarding my complaint. I have a feeling Astro will just let it be and keep quiet. I have sent an e-mail "reminder" to prompt for a reply which (if I get it) I may use to file a complaint with the authorities.

See how it goes and my energy level. It's tiring "fighting" with business entities that take consumers for a ride (I have another on-going "fight" with Panasonic Malaysia to deal with).  vmad.gif

Since HDR is now back on channel 805, I guess they'll reply by advising you to check your TV again, or they'll probably ignore your email.

Because of their incompetent handling regarding this HDR matter, which caused so much unnecessary confusion and inconveniences to many people.....
I wonder is there anyone here who complained to Astro about not having HDR on channel 805 before this, and ended up getting replaced with a new Ultra Box by the Astro technician?
As long they arrange an Astro technician to come over to your house to drink tea to fix technical related issues (especially when the 1 year box warranty has over), then you'll have to agree either 12 month contract (ensure your Astro account remains active for the next 12 months, or else they'll clawback the RM65 technical service fee to your bill), or else you pay RM65 technical service fee the installer directly if you don't want any new contract.

If yes, I suggest you better raise this dispute to their customer service to revoke the 12 month contract that has been imposed on you (if have), or credit back the RM65 service fee on your next bill (if you paid directly to the Astro technician).
joshhd
post Nov 24 2022, 11:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(enriquelee @ Nov 24 2022, 05:46 PM)
Ok, will try to do as suggested.

Btw, if I really have no choice but to opt for new package. What is the best package that suit me if I need the following channels in my package
1) AOD
2) Shuang Xing
3) AEC
4) Iqiyi
5) Quan Jia
6) HBO
7) Disney hotstar
8) Sports packages
9) Celestial movie
10) Hua Hee Dai
11) Cinemax
12) Nat Geo and National Geography
13) Animal Planet
14) EGG

Basic channels on Astro (Primary Pack)
3) AEC
4) Iqiyi
5) Quan Jia
14) EGG

Movies
6) HBO
7) Disney hotstar
11) Cinemax

Sports
8) Sports packages

Chinese Favourites
1) AOD
2) Shuang Xing
9) Celestial movie
10) Hua Hee Dai

News & Documentaries
12) Nat Geo and National Geography
13) Animal Planet

Recommended option for you would be:
Premium Pack 1 (RM124.99 for 24m contract)

+ Chinese Favourites (+RM14.99)
+ News & Documentaries (+RM14.99)

Total = RM154.97 + 6% SST
Grand total = RM164.27/month (24 month contract)

Note: Separate add-ons (Chinese Favourites and News & Documentaries) does not have contract, which means you can remove them anytime you like.

All you need to know about the new Astro packs, are all here: https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...ost&p=105798853
joshhd
post Nov 25 2022, 01:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(Dozz @ Nov 25 2022, 12:07 PM)
Astro replaced me a brand new Ultrabox due to an intermittent buffering issue, i tested it for few hours yesterday, buffering issue is occurring too.

Lol.... Your Ultra Box connected to the LAN cable, right?

I believe if you stream Netflix 4K, no issue, right? Only when watching live TV channel on Plug & Play, right?

Report this to Astro customer service, and let us know what they say afterwards. Or email them also can, and attach with your speedtest results to make it more convincing.

I'm curious to see how far will they go on this...
joshhd
post Nov 26 2022, 12:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(spicymayo @ Nov 25 2022, 08:33 PM)
I have had the same issue for years. Buffering on Astro only - I have 500Mbps but it still buffers no matter whether I use LAN or WiFi.
I figure it is an Astro issue and they are not bothered to solve it
Netflix 4K and all other streaming services I use do not have this issue

If you don't bother to dispute them by harassing their customer service, then they'll also don't bother to eliminate this issue, which I think they find this a trivial matters.

Seriously, in my opinion, this shouldn't be happening at all.

This post has been edited by joshhd: Nov 26 2022, 12:45 AM
joshhd
post Nov 26 2022, 10:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Nov 26 2022, 07:33 PM)
From what I read, that person has buffering issues even at non peak hours. Which is quite surprising as I don't have any issues with mine. hence the process of elimination

I thought you're on Satellite?
QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Nov 26 2022, 07:38 PM)
Maybe that person's ISP is having network issues. Maybe the network issue is localized to the place where the person is currently living.

Or something is wrong with that person's network devices.
QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Nov 26 2022, 05:49 PM)
I believe Astro uses AWS Cloudfront as their CDN provider. So the buffering issue happens when their network gets congested during peak hours.

GOPI56 Are you a Plug & Play user yourself? Or, have you tried out the Plug & Play mode on your Ulti/Ultra Box?

Let's say even if their CDN provider AWS Cloudfront gets congested like what you said, then what Astro can do to eliminate that issue for good?
joshhd
post Nov 26 2022, 11:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(abangcosta @ Nov 26 2022, 09:35 PM)
Thanks for your kind reply. The technician was the same person who came to install my satellite dish. So he didn't check much else than the satellite coverage lol. Anyway last week, I called the CS again and they opt me to change to new smart card (sim card), waited until last Thursday already received and activated via call with the CS. They asked me to wait for 3 hrs and then can access the channels. But still, until today, I can't access the channels! Is it possible to switch the Plug & Play tag to Satellite in their system? Or need to change the box if switch?

Anyway last week, I called the CS again and they opt me to change to new smart card (sim card)
Seriously I don't think it's the SIM card issue. doh.gif
But as long if they don't mention to you about contract extension or whatever nonsense one-time fees, then let them do whatever they want to do la. whistling.gif

Is it possible to switch the Plug & Play tag to Satellite in their system?
I believe it is possible. It'll be subject to their higher management's approval, I guess.
If you intend to switch your box operating mode back and forth between Plug & Play and Satellite modes, then you shouldn't have opted for Plug & Play upon sign up in the first place. sweat.gif

Or need to change the box if switch?
No need.
joshhd
post Nov 26 2022, 11:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Nov 26 2022, 11:23 PM)
Hi,  at my parent's home they recently changed the decoder from the one that uses a satellite dish to this Plug & Play type.

So, when I am in Malaysia I get to try it out and noticed there are no buffering issues. By the way, the ISP being used at my parent's home is TM Unifi, 300 Mbps package, and IPV6 is enabled. Not using the free router provided by TM because they suck.

Astro can deal with its content delivery network provider, Amazon Web Services (AWS) to increase its current network capacity to deal with congestion issues.

Sometimes the problem could be on the user side too, imagine you live in a house with others. The network bandwidth is shared with each of the users in that home, someone might be downloading huge files, streaming Netflix etc, peer to peer file sharing.

You could set QOS or internet traffic priority in the network router if supported to prioritize the network traffic to the Astro Decoder box.

You use Ultra Box? Connect via LAN cable or WiFi?
Have you tried watching channel 805 continuously for few hours? Did you experience intermittent buffering that lasts 1-2 seconds, or loading icon randomly appear on-screen for few seconds when watching the channel?

Astro can deal with its content delivery network provider, Amazon Web Services (AWS) to increase its current network capacity to deal with congestion issues.
Is it expensive to increase its current network capacity to deal with congestion issues? How expensive is it?
joshhd
post Nov 27 2022, 12:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Nov 26 2022, 11:49 PM)
A. Yes, using Ultra Box connected via WiFi. No issues when watching live sports events. By the way, you are using which internet service provider?

B. For this Astro subscribers have no control over it, depends on Astro Management. As the number of users for Astro Plug & Play increase their network capacity need to increase too. But it costs money to Astro side.

By the way, you are using which internet service provider?
Maxis Fibre.
joshhd
post Nov 27 2022, 09:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Nov 27 2022, 06:21 AM)
Haiya Josh, when it rains, it changes to streaming mode. And it rains a lot the past few weeks

Ohhh...

Yes, I notice that I don't experience intermittent buffering when switches to streaming through Continuous Viewing or Live Pause feature. Because for that behaviour, they make the streaming latency about 1 minute late compared to satellite broadcast, hence it makes the streaming performance to be more stable (Technical: more headroom time for data packets that arrive late).

For Plug & Play users however, when they tune to a channel and watch/stream the channel as it is, they make the streaming latency shorter (<30 secs) compared to satellite broadcast. Due to that, it increases the chance of intermittent buffering to occur (less headroom for data packets that arrive late to the end user). Technically, this also known as low latency streaming.

GOPI56 For this case, in your opinion, what can Astro do to eliminate the intermittent buffering issue from happening due to low streaming latency?
Or even, achieve ultra-low latency streaming to make it just barely few seconds late compared to satellite broadcast without intermittent buffering under good/stable Internet connection on user's end?
joshhd
post Nov 27 2022, 11:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(abangcosta @ Nov 27 2022, 10:47 AM)
Well, during sign up, I didn't quite understand on how the so called Plug & Play worked. I thought after relocate address, could install Satellite just like that and access to channels via satellite dish as per normal lol noob me.

Anyway, today I contacted again the CS and addressed the same issue. Also, same answer. They can't switch my account from Plug & Play to Satellite. Makes me wonder, if someone opt for Plug & Play, and had to relocate to new home without Internet access (same case as for me), is Astro side have no any kind of countermeasure? Now I can't access to these base channels, so for what I paid full payment to them every mth if cannot access lol.

I suspect because it's too tedious and probably involves lots of "red tapes" on their end to change from Plug & Play to Satellite in their system, so they'd rather take the easy way by telling you "No, you cannot change."

If there's anything you don't understand (especially technical things), you can ask here. Don't rely everything on their sales agents, cuz their priority is to earn your commission and achieve KPI, and not necessarily always advise you the best options possible. Not saying ALL of them la, but the way I see it, most of the salesman I see out there, are like that. It's a normal thing, I guess....

Because your account is tagged under Plug & Play on their system, and now you said you're getting "Subscription Required" message on certain channels when you switch to Satellite mode yourself, then I think they might sideline your case, saying that you are not supposed to be on Satellite anyway.

Aiyaa I tell you what... Try file an MCMC complaint that Astro refuse to change from Plug & Play to Satellite in their system, then I believe they'll take action.
https://aduan.skmm.gov.my

I remember there's this case where a dispute customer publishes his story publicly onto Astro Facebook page, together with MCMC report on it.

Similar story like yours, he thought Astro Plug & Play is an "amazing new product" but didn't dive too deep to know more about it. Upon sign up Astro, he wasn't informed that there will be streaming latency on Plug & Play of around 30 seconds to 1 minute compared to satellite broadcast. And their general T&C also didn't mention anything about it. And that's where drama begins.

He said that he's a live sports fan, and he is super pissed to see when his neighbours or friends around the world who watching the live sports via satellite, the football team scored the goal, while he only get to see the team scored the goal 30 sec to 1 minute later because he's on Plug & Play, which is an absolute killjoy to him.

I heard that eventually he got the higher management approval to convert this customer from Plug & Play to Satellite, without paying penalty whatsoever. And he agreed to pay some one-time installation fee to install the Astro satellite dish at his house, if I'm not mistaken.

So I think, maybe you can try something like that too.
joshhd
post Nov 29 2022, 09:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(smileguy @ Nov 28 2022, 04:30 AM)
Tv2 goals earlier then astro
QUOTE(nexona88 @ Nov 28 2022, 10:15 AM)
So-called live game is actually delayed in Astro 😜
QUOTE(Zot @ Nov 28 2022, 10:46 AM)
Everything is delayed unless you go to stadium.

Stadium sent to service satellite. Those broadcasters like Astro that subscribed to that service will download and then upload again to their own satellites before received by subscribers. The terrestrial services can transmit straight to subscribers unlike satellite broadcasters. Well, the speed of light is fast. Probably need less than a second from Earth to satellite and back to Earth but data sent in packets depends on bandwidth available to be completed. Other thing include censorship, ads, etc.

Back and forth relays from Earth (stadium) to satellite, and then satellite to Earth (broadcaster/pay TV providers) here and there, it is normal to expect to have additional few seconds delay added to it.
I believe both Astro and RTM obtain the live feeds via satellite.
But I think what smileguy is trying to highlight here is, he notice that the FIFA live feed on TV2 appears to be faster than the ones we see on Astro channel 825/826, as he notices that the team scored the goal first on TV2, followed by Astro channel 825/826.
QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Nov 28 2022, 01:23 PM)
The 4K broadcast is actually a few seconds faster than tv2 using antenna for me

hmm.gif hmm.gif hmm.gif
joshhd
post Nov 29 2022, 11:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Nov 29 2022, 11:01 PM)
Me on regular satellite mode still have no access up to this moment.

Continuous Viewing isn't available for 4K UHD channels. 🤷‍♂️
QUOTE(tp101 @ Nov 29 2022, 11:11 PM)
paying 200+ for astro but end up watching pirate on PC  doh.gif

Mhmm... Could you explain more?
joshhd
post Nov 30 2022, 09:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(abangcosta @ Nov 30 2022, 08:37 AM)
Just an update on my case.
So, apparently, I did lodge a report to MCMC. After around 2-3 working days, I received a call from Astro, they mentioned that they got the report from MCMC.
Long story short, at last their management agreed to switch my account from Plug & Play to Satellite mode. However, they said my account need to renew again the contract for 24 months  shakehead.gif So now I'm back to zero, had to start again paying them monthly from scratch.
Nvm on that, now I'm happy back because I got all channels working again!  biggrin.gif
Also, hopefully TM will install fibre optic around my new home area in the near future

So what did you mention in the MCMC report? You mentioned about getting "Subscription Required" message, or streaming latency, or what?
And when they change your account to Satellite, did they say something about arrange technician to come install Astro dish whatsoever?
joshhd
post Nov 30 2022, 10:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

Anyone here notice there's a lip-sync issue on Channel 805?

The video appears few hundred milliseconds late compared to the audio.
Especially during studio interview, I notice the host's talking lips doesn't match with the audio.

When I tune to channel 825, the audio is fine (both Stereo and Dolby). No lip sync issue. hmm.gif
joshhd
post Nov 30 2022, 11:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(hyalbert @ Nov 30 2022, 09:32 PM)
Legacy Super Pack 3 subscriber but did not change to Ultra Box last year because my Plasma TV was not HDCP compliant but decided not to change the TV as it was still in good working condition. I have now decided to buy a 4K TV and called up CS to change to Ultra Box. Requested to maintain the legacy pack subscription but CS was unable to accede, so switched to a new package. Currently using satellite dish and PVR. May I ask what are the factors to consider for using the satellite cable connection or the Plug and Play for the Ultra Box.

Long story short, since you're already on Satellite, then just stay on Satellite even when you upgrade to Ultra Box. Don't need to think about changing to Plug & Play.

Satellite one is still much more reliable than Plug & Play.

For Ultra/Ulti Box, you can temporary switch from satellite to Internet streaming whenever there's no satellite signal, so you can still continue watching Astro TV channels even during bad weather.
user posted image

On the other hand, the only best scenarios you can consider Plug & Play is, you hate Astro satellite dish because it looks awful at your balcony, or because you stay in an apartment/condo that doesn't allow individual satellite dish installation, or your apartment/condo doesn't have centralise dish working.
joshhd
post Dec 4 2022, 01:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Dec 2 2022, 10:36 PM)
Hi, just wondering, if I’m on legacy Astro package and were to relocate, do I need to switch to the new package?

Nope, it is optional to switch to the new packs. But of course, the CS agent will try to upsell you the new packs as you contact them.
QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Dec 3 2022, 10:44 AM)
The destination house already have a satellite dish with universal LNB(not meant for PVR box) sweat.gif

Tell them you want to relocate, and the new address already has a satellite dish but it is not DCSS. Then they'll do the necessary arrangements.

On the other note:
If you are currently using Astro IPTV (Multicast), then you will lose access to IPTV Multicast service as you relocate to the new house, hence you'll be converted to either Satellite (applies to any Astro box models) or Plug & Play user (Ulti/Ultra Box only) in the process.
joshhd
post Dec 4 2022, 07:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

QUOTE(yongtjunkit @ Dec 4 2022, 02:09 PM)
I see, if I were to submit a request for relocation on the Self service web portal is it any better or is it better to contact CS?  sweat.gif

I think it's the same 🤷
joshhd
post Dec 5 2022, 02:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,261 posts

Return or Recycle Your Astro Devices
user posted image
https://promotions.astro.com.my/details/return-recycle
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

160 Pages « < 156 157 158 159 160 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version