916 Pages « < 149 150 151 152 153 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro Version 13A, All about Astro Malaysia offerings

views

yongtjunkit
post Jan 24 2020, 11:14 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

QUOTE(izwanikhsan @ Jan 24 2020, 07:51 AM)
While Astro have to rely to kampung people which have no fiber internet connection.
QUOTE(AVFAN @ Jan 24 2020, 09:43 AM)
the new unifiplus black box can be used on any wifi.

but it still unclear if the bit rate is still low (2-3mbps) like the old unifiplaytv app which also can be used on many 3rd party devices/boxes, any wifi.

if same quality, it's of little use since that black box is priced at rm240 whereas u can get a cheaper/better 3rd party box to do same.
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4894174/+40

comparing unifi playtv with astrogo, astrogo hd quality much better.

will have to see if new unifiplaytv app will be improved to astrogo level.
QUOTE(nexona88 @ Jan 24 2020, 10:06 AM)
Oh good 😊
More competitive environment is best news for Malaysia consumer...
If astro allows anyone with to use Astro IPTV/ maybe Hybrid on any network instead of locking it down with Vlans.....

This post has been edited by yongtjunkit: Jan 24 2020, 11:15 AM
Feliex
post Jan 24 2020, 12:00 PM

Enthusiast
729 posts

https://pictr.com/image/5QkfRv

Who want Astro Sport package I got FREE Code from Coca-Cola, want to giveaways due to I'm not a Astro User.

Can PMe or Reply my post. First Come First Serve.

This post has been edited by Feliex: Jan 24 2020, 12:01 PM
nzard
post Jan 24 2020, 12:59 PM

14 posts

Just found out that I won the 28-day Astro Sports Package from Coca Cola and since I'm not subscribed to Astro, I'm giving it away. Just PM me for the redemption code if you need it.

EDIT: Taken

This post has been edited by nzard: Jan 24 2020, 05:46 PM
Qash-M
post Jan 25 2020, 12:25 AM

#FreePalestine
5,955 posts

Anyone else noticed that Best now had 6 HD channels instead of one.
smileguy
post Jan 25 2020, 10:24 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,019 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Jan 25 2020, 12:25 AM)
Thank the customers who support and grab whatever assteruk throws!! sad.gif

This post has been edited by smileguy: Jan 25 2020, 10:25 AM
izwanikhsan
post Jan 25 2020, 11:08 AM

Regular
1,175 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Jan 25 2020, 01:25 AM)
Because apparently Astro Best is cheaper than watching at cinemas (+ popcorn, toll and parking fees). And poor Kelantan which has no cinema so Astro Best is giving alternative to illegal download/ streaming. Hehe.
TSnexona88
post Jan 25 2020, 12:58 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,799 posts

QUOTE(izwanikhsan @ Jan 25 2020, 11:08 AM)
Because apparently Astro Best is cheaper than watching at cinemas (+ popcorn, toll and parking fees). And poor Kelantan which has no cinema so Astro Best is giving alternative to illegal download/ streaming. Hehe.
+1

and the period from cinema release to Astro Best also not that far.. few month only (if u can wait) tongue.gif
stasio
post Jan 25 2020, 02:26 PM

10k Club
All Stars
18,325 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Jan 25 2020, 12:25 AM)
In my Astro Ultra:

Astro best...15 channels
Astro first....10 channels
izwanikhsan
post Jan 25 2020, 03:56 PM

Regular
1,175 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Jan 25 2020, 01:58 PM)
+1

and the period from cinema release to Astro Best also not that far.. few month only (if u can wait)  tongue.gif
I have no issue with Astro Best and Astro First as it gives option to those who want to watch latest movies (a month or 2 after release) at cheaper price RM10.60 and RM15.30.
smileguy
post Jan 25 2020, 04:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,019 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Jan 25 2020, 12:58 PM)
+1

and the period from cinema release to Astro Best also not that far.. few month only (if u can wait)  tongue.gif
well, correct me if wrong .I was once informed there was a difference in running time of cinema version to TV version.In any event its a matter of choice.If I really want to catch a particular movies and enjoy the sound effects and PQ I prefer a cinema biggrin.gif
TSnexona88
post Jan 25 2020, 06:15 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,799 posts

QUOTE(izwanikhsan @ Jan 25 2020, 03:56 PM)
I have no issue with Astro Best and Astro First as it gives option to those who want to watch latest movies (a month or 2 after release) at cheaper price RM10.60 and RM15.30.
me also..
No issues actually.. because in the end. it's customer decision to "support" by subscribe/buy the Pay per View channel or not...
TSnexona88
post Jan 25 2020, 06:17 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,799 posts

QUOTE(smileguy @ Jan 25 2020, 04:05 PM)
well, correct me if wrong .I was once informed there was a difference in running time of cinema version to TV version.In any event its a matter of choice.If I really want to catch a particular movies and enjoy the  sound effects and PQ I prefer a cinema biggrin.gif
huh? really?
got running time different... didn't know that..
if u say more censored.. maybe yes. thus reduce timing.. other than that.. don't think so hmm.gif
joshhd
post Jan 26 2020, 02:12 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(smileguy @ Jan 25 2020, 04:05 PM)
well, correct me if wrong .I was once informed there was a difference in running time of cinema version to TV version.In any event its a matter of choice.If I really want to catch a particular movies and enjoy the  sound effects and PQ I prefer a cinema biggrin.gif
QUOTE(nexona88 @ Jan 25 2020, 06:17 PM)
huh? really?
got running time different... didn't know that..
if u say more censored.. maybe yes. thus reduce timing.. other than that.. don't think so  hmm.gif

It depends also. Astro will use version that they receives from the distributor, so not necessary it will definitely be the theatrical version.

Another reason is, censorship lor... Aiya, you don't want it to be censored, but those conservative persons wants it to be censored because "it's unsafe for kids". 🤷‍♂️

Another reason is, movies aired on TV is "time adjusted" from 24fps to 25fps (fast speed by 4%) to match with 50Hz broadcast system used in Malaysia and many other countries around the world. Because the playback speed has become faster by 4% from original speed, for sure the total movie length will become shorter. And also, audio pitch will become slightly higher. If you're sensitive to musical pitch, you're likely to notice it when the background music played in the movie is the song that you familiar with, example during end credits (song track plays). This also applies to HBO, Fox Movies, Cinemax, and so on. Astro can't fix this cuz it's from the channel provider.

If they don't increase the playback speed by 4%, and insist it to display 24fps content on a 50fps (50Hz) display mode (which is also a 50fps channel), you will notice a 1-2 frames of picture stop motion, as if the picture motion is not perfect.

This has been practiced in many broadcast TV systems around the world, so Astro is not an exception.
TSnexona88
post Jan 26 2020, 10:08 AM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,799 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Jan 26 2020, 02:12 AM)
It depends also. Astro will use version that they receives from the distributor, so not necessary it will definitely be the theatrical version.

Another reason is, censorship lor... Aiya, you don't want it to be censored, but those conservative persons wants it to be censored because "it's unsafe for kids". 🤷‍♂️

Another reason is, movies aired on TV is "time adjusted" from 24fps to 25fps (fast speed by 4%) to match with 50Hz broadcast system used in Malaysia and many other countries around the world. Because the playback speed has become faster by 4% from original speed, for sure the total movie length will become shorter. And also, audio pitch will become slightly higher. If you're sensitive to musical pitch, you're likely to notice it when the background music played in the movie is the song that you familiar with, example during end credits (song track plays). This also applies to HBO, Fox Movies, Cinemax, and so on. Astro can't fix this cuz it's from the channel provider.

If they don't increase the playback speed by 4%, and insist it to display 24fps content on a 50fps (50Hz) display mode (which is also a 50fps channel), you will notice a 1-2 frames of picture stop motion, as if the picture motion is not perfect.

This has been practiced in many broadcast TV systems around the world, so Astro is not an exception.
Ooh like that huh...
Thanks for the very detailed explanation 👍😁

As for censorship..
Don't want kids to watch..
Then don't subscribe to Astro lorh...
No one forcing u guys to buy 😁

This post has been edited by nexona88: Jan 26 2020, 10:09 AM
iGamer
post Jan 29 2020, 09:34 AM

Toxic ktards probably losers irl
1,346 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Jan 26 2020, 02:12 AM)

Why is the cinema film 24 fps still even a thing, why is cinema movie format not catching up with modern day standards. hmm.gif
Qash-M
post Jan 29 2020, 12:24 PM

#FreePalestine
5,955 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 21 2019, 11:09 PM)
Someone informed me that he got an official info from Astro that they received a memo that, legacy Astro box are scheduled to be officially discontinue its use on 31 January 2020.
Meaning from 31 Jan/1 Feb 2020, legacy box users will no longer able to watch Astro channels and must upgrade to at least HD box to continue watching Astro channels.
This date is subject to change, meaning if still many legacy box users didn't change to the HD box by then, they might extend the date, so don't get excited too soon ya...
From what I see is, if they see that if left a very very few remaining legacy box users that doesn't want to swap to HD box, then they'll just initiate the "Legacy Box Switch-Off" or "MPEG2 Switch-off" by force (That's what I call it la).

They are providing several upgrade offers, like I said earlier, including remain the current monthly subscription rate as now, and no installation fee, no additional monthly fee, no contract, nothing.
Yet you get new Astro HD box, satellite dish, new cabling, remote control, smart card, basically everything new.
So basically, there's no reason for legacy box users to reject the upgrade offer cuz you're paying nothing to get new stuff.

When asked how come Astro didn't make any public announcement about this, they say because only minority of users are still using legacy box, so they rather target that information by informing them directly (by email, mail or SMS). They said if they would make a major public announcement about it, many people would become fed up. From what I see, they don't wanna face those public reaction saying that Astro is sucking people's money and causing inconvenience to users by forcing them to swap to HD box, even though free-of-charge option is available, many would be unconvinced and thinking that there must be lots of hidden T&Cs. So they wanna lay low and don't want too many people to know about this, cuz even if they know, it's irrelevant to many since almost all Astro users already on HD or PVR boxes.

If I would be a bad guy, I would advise her to continue using the legacy box, and tell her to take good care of the legacy box (make sure don't spoil it by any means), until the day when Astro officially discontinue the use of legacy box completely. Not because I want her to move backwards instead of moving forward, but because I'm kinda interested to see how's that "switch off" looks like, and would it be any "switch off info/message" similar like Malaysia's analogue TV broadcast switch off.  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
Hope someone would share some screenshots here when that day really comes, cuz existing HD and PVR box users are unlikely to have the chance to see that.
less than 48 hours left.

MegaThroned
post Jan 29 2020, 02:37 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(Qash-M @ Jan 29 2020, 12:24 PM)
less than 48 hours left.
What will happen after 31st Jan? Better bitrate for HD and UHD?
joshhd
post Jan 29 2020, 04:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

To all rugby fans out there, Setanta Sports (CH 823) channel is now rebranded into RugbyPass TV.
https://www.facebook.com/Astro/videos/483359729263444/
Other than that, nothing changed.
Matchy
post Jan 29 2020, 07:56 PM

Regular
1,104 posts

Just wondering, is Njoi dish compatible with Astro decoder? Planning to get Njoi for my kampung parents, buy will bring back my Astro decoder when I go back to my kampung.
joshhd
post Jan 29 2020, 09:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,953 posts

QUOTE(Matchy @ Jan 29 2020, 07:56 PM)
Just wondering, is Njoi dish compatible with Astro decoder? Planning to get Njoi for my kampung parents, buy will bring back my Astro decoder when I go back to my kampung.

Yes. Of course, don't directly tell Astro that you wanna do that.
What Astro box are you using now (the one that u wanna bring back to ur kampung)?

If you're using PVR box, is it connected with 2 cables connecting to the satellite dish or just 1 cable? Do check it out at the rear panel of your Astro PVR box.

916 Pages « < 149 150 151 152 153 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0158sec    0.64    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:00 PM