Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro Version 13A, All about Astro Malaysia offerings

views

joshhd
post Aug 1 2022, 10:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(kkm @ Aug 1 2022, 07:09 PM)
Anybody facing video breakup problems? On many channels...

user posted image
QUOTE(Qash-M @ Aug 1 2022, 07:48 PM)
I do notice this briefly while switching to certain channels.
QUOTE(NimalKumar @ Aug 1 2022, 09:15 PM)
I do notice some weird glitches on Vinmeen HD as well as Sun TV. Even the subtitles glitch like if someone erased it using duster.
QUOTE(joshhd @ Aug 1 2022, 09:36 PM)
Ah yes, me too. But it rarely happens, so I don't bother.... Turns out, some of you guys also experienced that?    unsure.gif
Subtitle glitch... Long long time I saw before, but it's like once in a blue moon thing, so I don't bother also.
As for recently, nope, I didn't see any, yet.

Astro says the issue has resolved 😶
user posted image
joshhd
post Aug 1 2022, 10:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(chuppachop @ Aug 1 2022, 09:29 PM)
just for sharing, astro Maya resurrected as a On Demand Ch on Singtel, today, offered as a bundle pack, see link for more details:
https://www.singtel.com/content/dam/singtel...Maya%20FAQs.pdf

Cheers.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

So now there's 2 Singapore-only Malay language channels from Astro brand, namely Astro Maya and Astro Sensasi (Starhub TV only)...
But from a Malaysian perspective that is used to Astro, it looks like a recycled content from our Astro Ria, Prima, Citra, Warna, all combined into one... hmm.gif
Maybe this strategy works well for Singapore's Malay market? hmm.gif
joshhd
post Aug 2 2022, 11:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(ntdote @ Aug 2 2022, 08:28 AM)
Hi, i am on legacy pack and trying to switch.

I want to keep PVR so not to netflix and disney.

But seems that Astro do not have the option to add-on Chinese favourites to Sports Pack, and similarly cannot add on sports to Entertainment Pack.

Ultimately, i only need Sports + Chinese + News. I dont really need Premium pack.

By right, it is possible for you to add-on Chinese Favourites and also News & Documentaries on top of your Sports Pack.
But if you try using Astro's website to sign up/change packs, it only ask you which pack bundle you want, but no option for add-ons especially if you choose packs that doesn't comes with Asian Favourites.
One word to describe this, lousy. dry.gif
Try WhatsApp Astro for assistance on this.
QUOTE(ChiaW3n @ Aug 2 2022, 02:50 PM)
Actually i can maintain my current box, but if i pick sport pack but cannot addon asian favourite chinese pack. how should i pick huh?

Same case as ntdote, by right you can just add-on Chinese Favourites on top of your Sports pack.
Since you solved your case by WhatsApp-ing Astro, then good la thumbsup.gif
QUOTE(youngwolf2k @ Aug 2 2022, 04:41 PM)
Same case here and now my rebates are gone and I cannot downgrade without taking the new Ultra Boxes. So I'm thinking to potong once and for all.

You intend to downgrade to which pack?
QUOTE(youngwolf2k @ Aug 2 2022, 07:25 PM)
Did you manage to change your package without changing the Astro decoder/box? Which decoder/box are you using?

If I remember correctly, it is compulsory to upgrade to Ultra Box if you choose any of the pack bundles that includes Netflix, regardless of new or existing customer.
Packs that includes Netflix are Entertainment Plus Pack, Premium Pack 2, Premium Pack 3, Platinum Pack
If you insist to maintain your existing box; don't want to change box while switching to the new packs, then you have to choose other packs instead, such as Primary Pack, Entertainment Pack, Sports Pack, Movies Pack, Premium Pack 1

For ChiaW3n's case, he/she is an existing PVR box user, and managed to change from legacy Super Pack 3 to the new Sports Pack + Chinese Favourites add-on
Sports Pack itself doesn't comes with Netflix. So ChiaW3n is eligible to switch to the new packs while maintaining PVR box.
joshhd
post Aug 2 2022, 11:34 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(raizo7 @ Aug 2 2022, 01:19 PM)
Hi guys. Does anyone know whether 4K broadcast is available on Multiroom Smart TV or not?

I'm currently on legacy sport pack. Thinking about upgrading to ultra box and terminate current multiroom and then switching to MR Smart TV (to save some money)

Astro SuperSport UHD channel is not available on Multiroom Smart TV app, but you can still stream VOD content in UHD quality there.
"Not available" as in the channel 805 does not even appear in the channel list when using their smart TV app.

Upgrade to Ultra Box would also mean you have to switch to the new Astro packs; give up your legacy pack.
QUOTE(nexona88 @ Aug 2 2022, 08:02 PM)
Oh good news 👍

Respect u can wait such long time to talk with CS....
20mins is not easy yo 💪

So the contract how?
Add new fresh one or what 🤔🧐

In my opinion, 20 minutes for Astro is consider "ok" already. Some customer also used to wait for 1+ hour also no agent attend. smile.gif
I guess is "business too good already" biggrin.gif
QUOTE(John Chaser @ Aug 2 2022, 08:16 PM)
Not sure if you guys got it but there was recently a survey from Disney+. Make sure to provide your feedback on how bad their app is on Ultrabox.

Where? Share link here...

This post has been edited by joshhd: Aug 2 2022, 11:42 PM
joshhd
post Aug 2 2022, 11:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(tng55 @ Aug 2 2022, 12:37 AM)
my mother watch Sun TV no problem i using PVR Box lucky i will not upgrade ultra box i hate Ultra Box
i still like PVR BOX  smile.gif

tng55, ntdote, ChiaW3n
In your opinion, why did you like PVR box more than Ultra Box? Just curious... hmm.gif
joshhd
post Aug 3 2022, 11:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

I'll split my reply into separate post, as a differentiator of a separate topic.
QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Aug 3 2022, 10:20 AM)
For me I just prefer the PVR box because of the old UI, which I can set a reminder for an upcoming programme and it will auto switch to that channel automatically. You can't do this with the new Ultra Box's GUI (I have both boxes mind you)

Image quality wise, I have no issues to be honest. I presume it might be due to the PVR box directly output 1080i signal (this is what Astro is broadcasting with satellite) and the de-interlacing is done on the TV using the TV's processor, while for Ultra Box, the Ultra Box itself has to do the de-interlacing as it outputs at 1080p, so some people might find the de-interlacing from the box sub-par compared to their own tv.

but that's just my two cents. My TV is so cheap I can barely see the difference.
QUOTE(Feliex @ Aug 3 2022, 10:24 AM)
Dammmm,, this feature was good  thumbsup.gif
QUOTE(vickno @ Aug 3 2022, 02:35 PM)
Agreed on the reminder function, was very useful and missing in the ultra.

Just wanna understand better... Could u guys give an example situation on when would you use programme reminder feature?
Here's an example I can think of.

Dad wants the Astro box to "auto switch" to the channel itself to channel 501 at 7:45pm, so that he can straightaway able to watch Astro Awani primetime news, without manually pressing channel 501 himself.
He don't want to record it. He don't want to "watch later". He don't want to "watch On Demand". He want to watch it right now, LIVE, but sometimes he may "forget" confused.gif
So he's hoping that "Set a Reminder" feature on the Astro box can help him auto change to that channel almost immediately as the programme starts. This will be helpful to ensure that he don't "forget", like an alarm clock.
Of course, with a pop-up window appears just 1 minute before the programme starts; before it auto change to that channel, just like the current HD/PVR box feature has.

He's able to use this Programme Reminder feature on HD box or PVR box, but since this probably-not-so-popular feature doesn't exist on Ulti/Ultra Box, hence that makes one of the reasons preventing him from upgrading to Ulti/Ultra Box

Is it something like this? Any other example situations on when would you guys use it? hmm.gif

This post has been edited by joshhd: Aug 3 2022, 11:53 PM
joshhd
post Aug 3 2022, 11:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(Feliex @ Aug 3 2022, 10:06 AM)
The Ultra/Ulti Box HD quality you feel like 720p (i feel like 720p)? I never use PVR before, so is PVR HD is better thn current HD quality
QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Aug 3 2022, 10:20 AM)
Image quality wise, I have no issues to be honest. I presume it might be due to the PVR box directly output 1080i signal (this is what Astro is broadcasting with satellite) and the de-interlacing is done on the TV using the TV's processor, while for Ultra Box, the Ultra Box itself has to do the de-interlacing as it outputs at 1080p, so some people might find the de-interlacing from the box sub-par compared to their own tv.

but that's just my two cents. My TV is so cheap I can barely see the difference.
QUOTE(Zot @ Aug 3 2022, 11:38 AM)
Well, 720 is indeed HD already. The 1080 is usually referred as Full HD to differentiate  smile.gif

PVR or any other medium will not change the resolution but probably picture quality due to compression.
QUOTE(Feliex @ Aug 3 2022, 01:06 PM)
walao...want like this mehhh ...  cry.gif year 2022 still play 720p
QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Aug 3 2022, 01:21 PM)
But Astro broadcast at 1080i, and the Ultra Box de-interlaces it to 1080p so i don't know how you get that 720p figure
QUOTE(Feliex @ Aug 3 2022, 04:30 PM)
lol... I mean the clarity it feel like 720p quality somemore no sharp pun

In my opinion, in terms of HD picture quality between HD/PVR and Ulti/Ultra Box, both looks the same to me.
But one of the thing I don't like is, the GUI on the Ulti/Ultra Box looks not sharp, which might explains on what Feliex described as "720p" look.
*For those who don't know, GUI means graphical user interface

All the on-screen texts, buttons, menus you see on Ulti/Ultra Box, it just looks blurry. I suspect they reduce the DPI or the display resolution of the GUI to avoid overloading the Ultra Box's GPU.
If you compare with their Smart TV app, you will realise that GUI there is so much sharper, so much "HD" look.
joshhd
post Aug 3 2022, 11:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(vickno @ Aug 3 2022, 05:50 AM)
Hey guys,

So I've been reading through the forum (going back some months etc.). I notice there's a general hatred/frustration for the Ultra box and special love for PVR box. I'm just trying to understand how bad is the Ultra box? As I'm new to Ultra box, I’m a little troubled at the comments I read, if I made the right decision to come back.

I've been using the Ultra box for about 4 days now...  I'm not surprised the HD quality and audio is average, most channels are not great (expected) and the UHD is ok while the box tends to hang quite a bit but I notice nice smoothness with the GUI etc.. Is the PVR box audio/visual quality much superior compared to Ultra?

I don't find the logics in that as the compression is done from the studio level and broadcasted to the set-top box. If  Astro fix the compression level, container type for the A/V, then I believe across board we would see an increase in broadcasting quality. I also notice the audio is rather messed up especially UHD 805. While watching replays of EPL, audio is nasty. Somehow only EPL. The ads and replay of an European football match on 805, the audio was fine. EPL on ASSP HD channels, audio is generally standard unlike the UHD channel. Too much pink noise, static especially the commentator’s voice. Only solution I found was to downgrade the audio setting from Dolby Atmos (DD+) to Dolby digital in the Ultra, best was to change it to Stereo PCM. I don’t know if the feed received from England is the issue or Astro.

This post of mine is just to understand the sentiment between PVR box vs Ultra box as I don’t see a correlation in the quality of broadcast vs type of box used. I can understand the way the boxes handle and behave but can the audio and visual quality differ between boxes of the same satellite broadcast?

My current Ultra setup – Satellite connection

About my overall experience with Astro in the past:

I've used Astro in the past, and used various setup boxes such as the Philips, Nokia, was also the beta HD user during the pilot launch of HD <Byond with and without PVR> and eventually terminated Astro due to the usual obvious reasons <A/V compression, costly and repetitive programs>. I then went on to other sources (You name it, I’ve used) and decided to come back to Astro mainly for sports. I need my football to be live, been in “agony” for years of people cheering 40sec to 1 min before me, buffers, login issue etc.

Once again, it’s good to see the community here active and trying to help each other! Truly appreciate all feedbacks and assistance. Sorry for the rather long post.  innocent.gif

I recommend you to read this: Comparison of the recording feature between PVR box versus Ulti/Ultra Box
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopi...#entry100498320
It is a long long post, so take your time to read it.

As I'm new to Ultra box, I’m a little troubled at the comments I read, if I made the right decision to come back.
Since you're new to Ultra Box, then just forget the past about Astro, and start fresh. biggrin.gif

I've been using the Ultra box for about 4 days now... while the box tends to hang quite a bit but I notice nice smoothness with the GUI etc..
4 days only..... Your first good impression towards Ultra Box still there. Try continue using it for few months, then you'll know. biggrin.gif

Is the PVR box audio/visual quality much superior compared to Ultra?
To me, it is either the same, or better than PVR box.
Ultra Box supports 4K UHD HDR and Dolby Atmos, while PVR box supports Full HD and Dolby 5.1.
If you see the forumers here saying that HD/PVR box appears to have better visual quality than Ultra Box or something, it is actually referring to "something else", not the actual picture quality of the channel.

I also notice the audio is rather messed up especially UHD 805. While watching replays of EPL, audio is nasty. Somehow only EPL. The ads and replay of an European football match on 805, the audio was fine. EPL on ASSP HD channels, audio is generally standard unlike the UHD channel. Too much pink noise, static especially the commentator’s voice. Only solution I found was to downgrade the audio setting from Dolby Atmos (DD+) to Dolby digital in the Ultra
I don’t know if the feed received from England is the issue or Astro.

Email them a long essay detail complaint to wecare@astro.com.my, and see what they say.

Sorry for the rather long post.
Long post? You haven't seen mine 🤣
joshhd
post Aug 4 2022, 12:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(ChiaW3n @ Aug 4 2022, 01:49 AM)
You can’t pick Asian favourite add on from the Astro website but you can do it when you call the Astro CS directly later, anyway when you want to modify your existing subscription you need to call, WhatsApp cannot do it.

I have received email from Astro to confirm that I have change to sports pack + Chinese favourite.

Yes... I agree on that very much.
Since last year Astro introduces new packs, till today, still can't manually add on Asian Favourites on Astro website. Have to go through customer service to do it...
I start to wonder are they doing this on purpose or what...? So that for those who don't know that you can actually manually add-on Asian Favourites on top of pack bundles that doesn't include 1x Asian Favourites, customers might end up choose pack bundles that already have 1x Asian Favourites included in it, such as Premium Pack 2, 3, Platinum Pack... That way, they can upsell their high tier packs? hmm.gif
QUOTE(smileguy @ Aug 4 2022, 09:22 AM)
all I can say the UB struggles to perform,it hangs very often when,the Homepage and apps are never stable,in a day at least twice a restart is required after the UB is idle mad.gif

Hah... A day at least twice?
Is your Ultra Box connected to a slow or unstable Internet connection, such as weak WiFi signal or connect via 4G cellular (mobile hotspot)?
QUOTE(Zot @ Aug 4 2022, 09:32 AM)
Yes. Mine used to be like that too but donno why but recently for months no mere happened.

Why can't they just pay just a bit more for better processor. Want to use graphical GUI but slow processor. It is not like TV box that being upgraded each year  doh.gif

Ultra Box can support 4K UHD and Dolby Atmos, and it is Netflix certified, so definitely the hardware won't be bad to nowhere.
In my opinion, I think software is the main culprit. They need to put more focus on doing more "stress test" on the software so that it won't cause issues/crash/freeze easily...
QUOTE(wong_86 @ Aug 4 2022, 09:39 AM)
Cost play apart in complany, they implement the box with alocate budget, ngam ngam can play 4k + Atmos enough lo rolleyes.gif

I hope they can implement feature , when switch other TV input, the box will auto stanby & auto wake up vice versa

I thought Ulti/Ultra Box has auto standby setting?
And what you mean auto wake up? Why do u need that though?
joshhd
post Aug 4 2022, 01:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Aug 4 2022, 12:14 AM)
Football around 2 or 3 am but I am watching another channel. I usually set the reminder thing so that if I fell asleep, I will wake up with Astro on the correct channel already

Another thing my sister does for his kids years ago that she didn't want them to "kacau" the decoder, so she put both decoder and remote way up high.but she set reminder for some shows that her kids might want to watch ahead of time, so that the decoder will change to that channel even if she is doing something else or in the toilet

Imagine while fall asleep at the couch with a cooking channel, and the later 3am wake up with Astro SuperSport channel already.
Woah okay. That's something else hmm.gif
joshhd
post Aug 4 2022, 01:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(smileguy @ Aug 4 2022, 01:17 PM)
My problem is usually going to Homepage , then click on apps,if lucky it opens smoothly if not u cannot come out,u hv to restart! Sometimes after left idle and then switched on, the channel hangs I cannot switch channels its stuck on the last channel! Mine is satelite and optional Internet

Tried Restore Factory Settings already?
Or try ask Astro to replace new box for you...
joshhd
post Aug 4 2022, 04:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(smileguy @ Aug 4 2022, 01:48 PM)
Not yet try RFS, well replace? I am afraid I will be charged for technician visit! My contract has expired can I terminate and apply for new service I wonder hmm.gif

Maybe you can go for the "12 month" option, where u don't need to pay for technical visit, but u need to make sure your Astro account remain active for at least 12 months (don't forget to pay bill), or else RM65 will be charged into your bill something like that.
QUOTE(wong_86 @ Aug 4 2022, 02:20 PM)
HDMI CEC feature in Nvidia Shield

user posted image

With this option, i can change tv input , UB can go in standy mode. I think also can fix the no audio isssue between UB and Sony AVR when tv input changes

HDMI CEC... I don't think they're interested in implementing HDMI CEC feature anyway...
QUOTE(ChiaW3n @ Aug 4 2022, 02:54 PM)
I picked sports pack it’s because that’s the plan with only Astro go app only, others come with Netflix disney plus which I don’t need at all because I got shared acc from shope*

Netflix disney plus which I don’t need at all because I got shared acc from shope*
Eh shhhhhh 🤫🤫
joshhd
post Aug 6 2022, 12:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

HBO Max and Discovery+ merging into one service next year
https://www.gsmarena.com/hbo_max_and_discov...-news-55308.php
Warner Bros Discovery held its Q2 earning call yesterday and CEO David Zaslav confirmed new plans for the media giant’s streaming platforms. HBO Max and Discovery+ will merge into one service which will be available from summer 2023.

HBO Max will be replaced next year by a new service combined with Discovery Plus
https://www.theverge.com/2022/8/4/23292742/...o-streaming-app
He went on to claim Discovery Plus has a better tech stack and would become the core of the new service which will combine the content of HBO Max with the content and tech of Discovery Plus.

Get ready for a HBO Max – Discovery+ mashup app in 2023
https://techcrunch.com/2022/08/05/get-ready...up-app-in-2023/
The headline of Warner Bros. Discovery’s earnings call was something a lot of people were anxious about: HBO Max and Discovery+ are merging into a new service. The company will roll out this new offering — which doesn’t have a name yet — for U.S.-based consumers in the summer of 2023, with LatAm expansion later that year, and the European market launch in 2024.
LatAm = Latin America
joshhd
post Aug 6 2022, 11:25 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

Insurance claim for failed Measat-3 satellite in dispute
https://spacenews.com/insurance-claim-for-f...ite-in-dispute/
“We were sitting there saying, hey, is this legit … how do you just run out of gas?”, an underwriter said.

But while that underwriter said Measat and Boeing, Measat-3’s manufacturer, were ultimately able to provide analysis showing a valid insurance claim, other underwriters remain unconvinced.

“Fuel left in the tank was miscalculated” in the latest health report given to insurers to decide whether to renew Measat-3’s in-orbit coverage, according to another underwriter.

“At this stage, we do not think there should be a claim,” the person said, because information  underwriters received before they agreed to extend insurance coverage at the end of 2020 for another year was “erroneous.”
Although Measat-3 did not have sufficient fuel to continue providing broadcast and telecoms services, enough remained to push it out of geostationary orbit (GEO) several weeks later when Measat gave up on trying to revive the satellite.

It is unclear what was behind the disparity in Measat-3’s expected fuel reserves.

This post has been edited by joshhd: Aug 6 2022, 11:25 AM
joshhd
post Aug 6 2022, 03:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Aug 6 2022, 11:36 AM)
Mencuri tu berdosa
vickno

1. Some EPL pop up matches are Astro Go exclusive for some reason. I noticed this for a few season already. I presume Astro don't want to waste satellite bandwidth for a few matches?

2. Maybe due to rights in this region? I checked Singtel's Premier League schedule, and they are also showing only two 4K matches
user posted image
QUOTE(vickno @ Aug 6 2022, 12:27 PM)
Hmm.. based on SG broadcast, could be some broadcaster's rights package or something.. potong stim la.. was it like this last season? Like 2 games per week in UHD? Thanks bud!

Reason is simple. More matches to air in UHD = pay more money to content provider (EPL)

Same goes to platform availability.
More matches available over satellite broadcast = pay more money to content provider (EPL)
If put the matches into OTT streaming platform = cheaper than putting it on satellite broadcast. Better than nothing. At least viewers can watch it legally but got to be through Astro Go (or Plug & Play).

Everything is money here. Consumers nowadays (including me) also don't feel like paying so much for Astro, so for sure they have to "sacrifice" something but at the same time still able to benefit majority of the customers.
Therefore, need to handpick those "more important" matches to make it available in 4K UHD...
joshhd
post Aug 6 2022, 03:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(AZL @ Aug 6 2022, 12:59 PM)
I believe it is firmware update on the box prevent recording. Even “hardisk” on setting is missing. Maybe they force us(my assumption) to upgrade to ultra/ulti box.

P/s: i check my easi hardisk, it is ok and recognize by my pc

What is the system file format of the EASI hard disk?
NTFS? FAT32? exFAT?

What files and folders in that EASi disk that you're able to see by using your PC? Screenshot see...
joshhd
post Aug 7 2022, 06:14 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(engseng @ Aug 6 2022, 04:08 PM)
When my Astro Ulti Box changes channel, the channel appears in lower resolution at first, then becomes HD quality after a few seconds. The red spinning circle appears in the middle of the screen now and then. Do you guys get this too?
QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Aug 6 2022, 06:58 PM)
Using internet/plug and play? This is normal. It will automatically load the lowest quality stream, while also testing your bandwidth at the same time. Once it determines your speed, it will then change to the best quality your speed supports

In Astro's definition, that is the normal "expected behaviour" of using Astro's Plug & Play service.
Astro's method of adaptive bitrate streaming is it will start to load the content at very low resolution for the first 5 seconds, then only it will go up to higher quality if your Internet connection permits.
The "very low resolution" upon video playback of the first 5 seconds are too obvious to notice, and some may find it disturbing, but Astro will convinces you that this is normal.
But in reality, actually they can do better than that. You don't see this kind of adaptive-streaming scenario that obvious when streaming Netflix or YouTube anyway.
QUOTE(engseng @ Aug 7 2022, 04:06 PM)
Last time the PVR set didn't behave like this. So the Ulti Box is using different streaming technology?

Also now again the red spinning circle shows up in the middle of the screen for half a second.

As long the operating mode of your Astro Ulti Box or Ultra Box is under Plug & Play, you will see that "red spinning circle shows up in the middle of the screen for half a second."
You won't experience this if your PVR box/Ulti Box/Ultra Box is under Satellite mode (connected to a satellite dish).
QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Aug 7 2022, 04:20 PM)
PVR uses a dedicated VLAN for streaming, similar to Unifi TV's VLAN600. The new plug and play mode uses normal HTTP streaming
QUOTE(engseng @ Aug 7 2022, 04:45 PM)
Dedicated VLAN sounds like a better solution than normal HTTP streaming. HTTP streaming is like watching YouTube.

Yes, dedicated VLAN for TV channels (referring to Astro IPTV that uses VLAN 823) is indeed "better solution", but it also means pay TV provider will have to pay more money to the ISP just for the dedicated VLAN in the long run.
That is why Astro decided to supersede Astro IPTV service into the Plug & Play service.

"Plug & Play" is a marketing term used in Astro, where in layman terms, it actually refers to box operating mode to stream Astro channels/content through your conventional Internet broadband connection, just like how you watch YouTube/Netflix on your home WiFi.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
engseng If you find the "loading icon appears every time you change channel and poor video quality for first 5 seconds" to be disturbing, then sorry to say, the only way to eliminate this for now, is go for Satellite.
joshhd
post Aug 7 2022, 06:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(AZL @ Aug 7 2022, 06:14 PM)
files on EASI PVR
user posted image
user posted image

no matter how you can't copy the file
user posted image

Thank you for the screenshots. Really appreciate it 🙏
joshhd
post Aug 7 2022, 11:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

QUOTE(weareblahs @ Aug 7 2022, 09:22 PM)
Quick question here. Just curious, can I change to / use IPTV VLAN for an existing Astro subscription (through plug and play) through Maxis Fibre?

Besides getting Network Connection Not Available (NCNA) error message, I don't think you will get anything else further than that sweat.gif
Just because you're on Maxis Fibre, it doesn't mean you will definitely get Multicast VLAN 823.

user posted image
Router model: Maxis Kaon AR2140 WiFi 6 router
This is how the Device Info page on your Maxis Fibre router's should look like, when VLAN 823 is enabled at TM's backend.
For Maxis Fibre routers, they label VLAN 823 as "eBTV".
"ServiceUp" means it is enabled, "ServiceDown" means it is not enabled. Pretty much self-explanatory.

And on top of that, to be able to receive linear TV channels from Astro IPTV's network through Maxis, the IGMP Join Test result on your Maxis Fibre router, should be stated as "PASS".
user posted image
If it's all stated "FAIL" like the image above, then you don't need to think about attempting to change your Astro box's operating mode to "IPTV (for installer only)" for Ultra Box, or "IP" for PVR box, cuz definitely it won't work.

For those who are using Maxis Kaon AR2140 WiFi 6 router, you can try login as administrator, and then carry out the IGMP Join Test yourself. No worries, it's harmless.
192.168.1.254 > EASY SETUP > Diagnostic Test > select "IPTV Service" tab > scroll down to "IGMP Join Test" section, click "START"

If you are an Astro IPTV customer, the IGMP Join Test results on your router should stated as "PASS".

Feeling complicated already? So in conclusion, "Astro's Plug & Play still da best" smile.gif No need to fuss about VLAN stuff, or IGMP Join Test stuff, or whatever technical nonsense.
Just connect your Astro box to the WiFi and start watching, as simple as that. Can set it up yourself, no installer required somemore biggrin.gif
But you know lah, what are the downsides of Astro's Plug & Play... sweat.gif

This post has been edited by joshhd: Aug 7 2022, 11:30 PM
joshhd
post Aug 7 2022, 11:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,215 posts

Errr... Apparently Sooka is down now?
https://www.facebook.com/sookamalaysia/post...B5Rxm99UK3KHeXl
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

158 Pages « < 146 147 148 149 150 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version