917 Pages « < 736 737 738 739 740 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Astro Version 13A, All about Astro Malaysia offerings

views

culvers
post Nov 26 2022, 05:55 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Nov 26 2022, 05:43 PM)
Multiroom app - 1080p 50FPS @ 4.5Mbps
AstroGo - 720p 25FPS @ 1.5Mbps
thanks, good to know. Will try the apk posted here few months back and see.
linkinstreet
post Nov 26 2022, 07:33 PM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
9,215 posts

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Nov 26 2022, 05:49 PM)
I believe Astro uses AWS Cloudfront as their CDN provider. So the buffering issue happens when their network gets congested during peak hours.
From what I read, that person has buffering issues even at non peak hours. Which is quite surprising as I don't have any issues with mine. hence the process of elimination
GOPI56
post Nov 26 2022, 07:38 PM

Regular
1,396 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Nov 26 2022, 07:33 PM)
From what I read, that person has buffering issues even at non peak hours. Which is quite surprising as I don't have any issues with mine. hence the process of elimination
Maybe that person's ISP is having network issues. Maybe the network issue is localized to the place where the person is currently living.

Or something is wrong with that person's network devices.
abangcosta P
post Nov 26 2022, 09:35 PM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 20 2022, 11:59 PM)
It will happens occasionally. And when it does, the buffering icon and/or buffering usually would appear on-screen for 1-2 seconds.
Whether would you see this as a major annoyance or not, I'll leave it to you to decide.
Since this happens "once in a blue moon", therefore I don't see Astro is taking this matter very seriously, and rather put the blame on your WiFi or Internet connection instead.
Hmm... My Astro account is under Satellite, and I can interchange the box operating mode between Satellite and Plug & Play by performing Restore Factory Settings and still able to access to all my subscribed channels.

Since you opted for Ultra Box Plug & Play upon sign up, it means your Astro account is tagged under Plug & Play in their system.
Yes, you can Restore Factory Settings and change it to Satellite mode anytime you want, but still, in their system, your Astro box/account is tagged under Plug & Play.
Due to this, I'm not sure would this be the cause of you experiencing "Subscription Required" message on certain basic channels as you mentioned earlier whenever your box is on Satellite mode, which in their system, you aren't supposed to.

already once sent a technician to come to my house to check, but still, problems not solved.
Can share to us, what did the technician did when he came to your house? Replace new box? What else? Did he charge you?

If I'm not mistaken, there would be a 3 or 6 months installation warranty.
So if the same issue persists within the warranty period, I suggest you don't give up and keep chasing the customer service about this.
Thanks for your kind reply. The technician was the same person who came to install my satellite dish. So he didn't check much else than the satellite coverage lol. Anyway last week, I called the CS again and they opt me to change to new smart card (sim card), waited until last Thursday already received and activated via call with the CS. They asked me to wait for 3 hrs and then can access the channels. But still, until today, I can't access the channels! Is it possible to switch the Plug & Play tag to Satellite in their system? Or need to change the box if switch?
joshhd
post Nov 26 2022, 10:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,956 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Nov 26 2022, 07:33 PM)

I thought you're on Satellite?
QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Nov 26 2022, 07:38 PM)
Maybe that person's ISP is having network issues. Maybe the network issue is localized to the place where the person is currently living.

Or something is wrong with that person's network devices.
QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Nov 26 2022, 05:49 PM)
I believe Astro uses AWS Cloudfront as their CDN provider. So the buffering issue happens when their network gets congested during peak hours.

GOPI56 Are you a Plug & Play user yourself? Or, have you tried out the Plug & Play mode on your Ulti/Ultra Box?

Let's say even if their CDN provider AWS Cloudfront gets congested like what you said, then what Astro can do to eliminate that issue for good?
joshhd
post Nov 26 2022, 11:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,956 posts

QUOTE(abangcosta @ Nov 26 2022, 09:35 PM)
Thanks for your kind reply. The technician was the same person who came to install my satellite dish. So he didn't check much else than the satellite coverage lol. Anyway last week, I called the CS again and they opt me to change to new smart card (sim card), waited until last Thursday already received and activated via call with the CS. They asked me to wait for 3 hrs and then can access the channels. But still, until today, I can't access the channels! Is it possible to switch the Plug & Play tag to Satellite in their system? Or need to change the box if switch?

Anyway last week, I called the CS again and they opt me to change to new smart card (sim card)
Seriously I don't think it's the SIM card issue. doh.gif
But as long if they don't mention to you about contract extension or whatever nonsense one-time fees, then let them do whatever they want to do la. whistling.gif

Is it possible to switch the Plug & Play tag to Satellite in their system?
I believe it is possible. It'll be subject to their higher management's approval, I guess.
If you intend to switch your box operating mode back and forth between Plug & Play and Satellite modes, then you shouldn't have opted for Plug & Play upon sign up in the first place. sweat.gif

Or need to change the box if switch?
No need.
GOPI56
post Nov 26 2022, 11:23 PM

Regular
1,396 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 26 2022, 10:58 PM)

GOPI56 Are you a Plug & Play user yourself? Or, have you tried out the Plug & Play mode on your Ulti/Ultra Box?

Let's say even if their CDN provider AWS Cloudfront gets congested like what you said, then what Astro can do to eliminate that issue for good?
Hi, at my parent's home they recently changed the decoder from the one that uses a satellite dish to this Plug & Play type.

So, when I am in Malaysia I get to try it out and noticed there are no buffering issues. By the way, the ISP being used at my parent's home is TM Unifi, 300 Mbps package, and IPV6 is enabled. Not using the free router provided by TM because they suck.

Astro can deal with its content delivery network provider, Amazon Web Services (AWS) to increase its current network capacity to deal with congestion issues.

Sometimes the problem could be on the user side too, imagine you live in a house with others. The network bandwidth is shared with each of the users in that home, someone might be downloading huge files, streaming Netflix etc, peer to peer file sharing.

You could set QOS or internet traffic priority in the network router if supported to prioritize the network traffic to the Astro Decoder box.
joshhd
post Nov 26 2022, 11:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,956 posts

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Nov 26 2022, 11:23 PM)
Hi,  at my parent's home they recently changed the decoder from the one that uses a satellite dish to this Plug & Play type.

So, when I am in Malaysia I get to try it out and noticed there are no buffering issues. By the way, the ISP being used at my parent's home is TM Unifi, 300 Mbps package, and IPV6 is enabled. Not using the free router provided by TM because they suck.

Astro can deal with its content delivery network provider, Amazon Web Services (AWS) to increase its current network capacity to deal with congestion issues.

Sometimes the problem could be on the user side too, imagine you live in a house with others. The network bandwidth is shared with each of the users in that home, someone might be downloading huge files, streaming Netflix etc, peer to peer file sharing.

You could set QOS or internet traffic priority in the network router if supported to prioritize the network traffic to the Astro Decoder box.

You use Ultra Box? Connect via LAN cable or WiFi?
Have you tried watching channel 805 continuously for few hours? Did you experience intermittent buffering that lasts 1-2 seconds, or loading icon randomly appear on-screen for few seconds when watching the channel?

Is it expensive to increase its current network capacity to deal with congestion issues? How expensive is it?
GOPI56
post Nov 26 2022, 11:49 PM

Regular
1,396 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 26 2022, 11:36 PM)
You use Ultra Box? Connect via LAN cable or WiFi?
Have you tried watching channel 805 continuously for few hours? Did you experience intermittent buffering that lasts 1-2 seconds, or loading icon randomly appear on-screen for few seconds when watching the channel?

Is it expensive to increase its current network capacity to deal with congestion issues? How expensive is it?
A. Yes, using Ultra Box connected via WiFi. No issues when watching live sports events. By the way, you are using which internet service provider?

B. For this Astro subscribers have no control over it, depends on Astro Management. As the number of users for Astro Plug & Play increase their network capacity need to increase too. But it costs money to Astro side.
joshhd
post Nov 27 2022, 12:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,956 posts

QUOTE(GOPI56 @ Nov 26 2022, 11:49 PM)
A. Yes, using Ultra Box connected via WiFi. No issues when watching live sports events. By the way, you are using which internet service provider?

B. For this Astro subscribers have no control over it, depends on Astro Management. As the number of users for Astro Plug & Play increase their network capacity need to increase too. But it costs money to Astro side.

By the way, you are using which internet service provider?
Maxis Fibre.
linkinstreet
post Nov 27 2022, 06:21 AM

Red Bull Addict
Group Icon
9,215 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 26 2022, 10:58 PM)
Haiya Josh, when it rains, it changes to streaming mode. And it rains a lot the past few weeks
joshhd
post Nov 27 2022, 09:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,956 posts

QUOTE(linkinstreet @ Nov 27 2022, 06:21 AM)
Haiya Josh, when it rains, it changes to streaming mode. And it rains a lot the past few weeks

Ohhh...

Yes, I notice that I don't experience intermittent buffering when switches to streaming through Continuous Viewing or Live Pause feature. Because for that behaviour, they make the streaming latency about 1 minute late compared to satellite broadcast, hence it makes the streaming performance to be more stable (Technical: more headroom time for data packets that arrive late).

For Plug & Play users however, when they tune to a channel and watch/stream the channel as it is, they make the streaming latency shorter (<30 secs) compared to satellite broadcast. Due to that, it increases the chance of intermittent buffering to occur (less headroom for data packets that arrive late to the end user). Technically, this also known as low latency streaming.

GOPI56 For this case, in your opinion, what can Astro do to eliminate the intermittent buffering issue from happening due to low streaming latency?
Or even, achieve ultra-low latency streaming to make it just barely few seconds late compared to satellite broadcast without intermittent buffering under good/stable Internet connection on user's end?
GOPI56
post Nov 27 2022, 09:28 AM

Regular
1,396 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 27 2022, 09:16 AM)
Ohhh...

Yes, I notice that I don't experience intermittent buffering when switches to streaming through Continuous Viewing or Live Pause feature. Because for that behaviour, they make the streaming latency about 1 minute late compared to satellite broadcast, hence it makes the streaming performance to be more stable (Technical: more headroom time for data packets that arrive late).

For Plug & Play users however, when they tune to a channel and watch/stream the channel as it is, they make the streaming latency shorter (<30 secs) compared to satellite broadcast. Due to that, it increases the chance of intermittent buffering to occur (less headroom for data packets that arrive late to the end user). Technically, this also known as low latency streaming.

GOPI56 For this case, in your opinion, what can Astro do to eliminate the intermittent buffering issue from happening due to low streaming latency?
Or even, achieve ultra-low latency streaming to make it just barely few seconds late compared to satellite broadcast without intermittent buffering under good/stable Internet connection on user's end?
Astro could implement technologies like Chunked Transfer Encoding (CTE) which creates small chunks of streams instead of long streams, like one frame of video in one chunk. This minimizes the delay for live streams.

Read more here: https://www.wowza.com/blog/low-latency-cmaf...ansfer-encoding
abangcosta P
post Nov 27 2022, 10:47 AM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 26 2022, 11:04 PM)
Anyway last week, I called the CS again and they opt me to change to new smart card (sim card)
Seriously I don't think it's the SIM card issue.  doh.gif
But as long if they don't mention to you about contract extension or whatever nonsense one-time fees, then let them do whatever they want to do la. whistling.gif

Is it possible to switch the Plug & Play tag to Satellite in their system?
I believe it is possible. It'll be subject to their higher management's approval, I guess.
If you intend to switch your box operating mode back and forth between Plug & Play and Satellite modes, then you shouldn't have opted for Plug & Play upon sign up in the first place.  sweat.gif

Or need to change the box if switch?
No need.
Well, during sign up, I didn't quite understand on how the so called Plug & Play worked. I thought after relocate address, could install Satellite just like that and access to channels via satellite dish as per normal lol noob me.

Anyway, today I contacted again the CS and addressed the same issue. Also, same answer. They can't switch my account from Plug & Play to Satellite. Makes me wonder, if someone opt for Plug & Play, and had to relocate to new home without Internet access (same case as for me), is Astro side have no any kind of countermeasure? Now I can't access to these base channels, so for what I paid full payment to them every mth if cannot access lol.
joshhd
post Nov 27 2022, 11:27 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,956 posts

QUOTE(abangcosta @ Nov 27 2022, 10:47 AM)
Well, during sign up, I didn't quite understand on how the so called Plug & Play worked. I thought after relocate address, could install Satellite just like that and access to channels via satellite dish as per normal lol noob me.

Anyway, today I contacted again the CS and addressed the same issue. Also, same answer. They can't switch my account from Plug & Play to Satellite. Makes me wonder, if someone opt for Plug & Play, and had to relocate to new home without Internet access (same case as for me), is Astro side have no any kind of countermeasure? Now I can't access to these base channels, so for what I paid full payment to them every mth if cannot access lol.

I suspect because it's too tedious and probably involves lots of "red tapes" on their end to change from Plug & Play to Satellite in their system, so they'd rather take the easy way by telling you "No, you cannot change."

If there's anything you don't understand (especially technical things), you can ask here. Don't rely everything on their sales agents, cuz their priority is to earn your commission and achieve KPI, and not necessarily always advise you the best options possible. Not saying ALL of them la, but the way I see it, most of the salesman I see out there, are like that. It's a normal thing, I guess....

Because your account is tagged under Plug & Play on their system, and now you said you're getting "Subscription Required" message on certain channels when you switch to Satellite mode yourself, then I think they might sideline your case, saying that you are not supposed to be on Satellite anyway.

Aiyaa I tell you what... Try file an MCMC complaint that Astro refuse to change from Plug & Play to Satellite in their system, then I believe they'll take action.
https://aduan.skmm.gov.my

I remember there's this case where a dispute customer publishes his story publicly onto Astro Facebook page, together with MCMC report on it.

Similar story like yours, he thought Astro Plug & Play is an "amazing new product" but didn't dive too deep to know more about it. Upon sign up Astro, he wasn't informed that there will be streaming latency on Plug & Play of around 30 seconds to 1 minute compared to satellite broadcast. And their general T&C also didn't mention anything about it. And that's where drama begins.

He said that he's a live sports fan, and he is super pissed to see when his neighbours or friends around the world who watching the live sports via satellite, the football team scored the goal, while he only get to see the team scored the goal 30 sec to 1 minute later because he's on Plug & Play, which is an absolute killjoy to him.

I heard that eventually he got the higher management approval to convert this customer from Plug & Play to Satellite, without paying penalty whatsoever. And he agreed to pay some one-time installation fee to install the Astro satellite dish at his house, if I'm not mistaken.

So I think, maybe you can try something like that too.
abangcosta P
post Nov 27 2022, 11:38 AM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(joshhd @ Nov 27 2022, 11:27 AM)
I suspect because it's too tedious and probably involves lots of "red tapes" on their end to change from Plug & Play to Satellite in their system, so they'd rather take the easy way by telling you "No, you cannot change."

If there's anything you don't understand (especially technical things), you can ask here. Don't rely everything on their sales agents, cuz their priority is to earn your commission and achieve KPI, and not necessarily always advise you the best options possible. Not saying ALL of them la, but the way I see it, most of the salesman I see out there, are like that. It's a normal thing, I guess....

Because your account is tagged under Plug & Play on their system, and now you said you're getting "Subscription Required" message on certain channels when you switch to Satellite mode yourself, then I think they might sideline your case, saying that you are not supposed to be on Satellite anyway.

Aiyaa I tell you what... Try file an MCMC complaint that Astro refuse to change from Plug & Play to Satellite in their system, then I believe they'll take action.

I remember there's this case where a dispute customer publishes his story publicly onto Astro Facebook page, together with MCMC report on it. 

Similar story like yours, he thought Astro Plug & Play is an "amazing new product" but didn't dive too deep to know more about it. Upon sign up Astro, he wasn't informed that there will be streaming latency on Plug & Play of around 30 seconds to 1 minute compared to satellite broadcast. And their general T&C also didn't mention anything about it. And that's where drama begins.

He said that he's a live sports fan, and he is super pissed to see when his neighbours or friends around the world who watching the live sports via satellite, the football team scored the goal, while he only get to see the team scored the goal 30 sec to 1 minute later because he's on Plug & Play, which is an absolute killjoy to him.

I heard that eventually he got the higher management approval to convert this customer from Plug & Play to Satellite, without paying penalty whatsoever. And he agreed to pay some one-time installation fee to install the Astro satellite dish at his house, if I'm not mistaken.

So I think, maybe you can try something like that too.
Noted on that bro. I will try lodging a report to MCMC and see their consequent action. Thanks again for your kind reply.
smileguy
post Nov 28 2022, 04:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,019 posts

Tv2 goals earlier then astro
TSnexona88
post Nov 28 2022, 10:15 AM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,815 posts

QUOTE(smileguy @ Nov 28 2022, 04:30 AM)
Tv2 goals earlier then astro
So-called live game is actually delayed in Astro 😜
Zot
post Nov 28 2022, 10:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,592 posts

QUOTE(nexona88 @ Nov 28 2022, 10:15 AM)
So-called live game is actually delayed in Astro 😜
Everything is delayed unless you go to stadium.

Stadium sent to service satellite. Those broadcasters like Astro that subscribed to that service will download and then upload again to their own satellites before received by subscribers. The terrestrial services can transmit straight to subscribers unlike satellite broadcasters. Well, the speed of light is fast. Probably need less than a second from Earth to satellite and back to Earth but data sent in packets depends on bandwidth available to be completed. Other thing include censorship, ads, etc.
TSnexona88
post Nov 28 2022, 11:40 AM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,815 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Nov 28 2022, 10:46 AM)
Everything is delayed unless you go to stadium.

Stadium sent to service satellite. Those broadcasters like Astro that subscribed to that service will download and then upload again to their own satellites before received by subscribers. The terrestrial services can transmit straight to subscribers unlike satellite broadcasters. Well, the speed of light is fast. Probably need less than a second from Earth to satellite and back to Earth but data sent in packets depends on bandwidth available to be completed. Other thing include censorship, ads, etc.
Agreed...
Best is always straight in stadium... But not everyone have the financial strength to go there personally... Next best choice is watching live on TV... It's known facts... Even on news channels... Movie channel don't needs to talk... Even worse delay...

Astro additional delay is probably more towards censorship & ads slots....

917 Pages « < 736 737 738 739 740 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0220sec    0.26    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:16 AM