4 Pages < 1 2 3 4 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

MSI GS65 versus Gigabyte Aero 15x

views

Eiraku
post Apr 29 2018, 05:35 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(shirogawawa @ Apr 29 2018, 05:29 PM)
oh i see, so need to buy a stand to avoid the hot air ? or no need ? icon_question.gif

- thunderbolt 3 is not only for eGPU setup eh...  biggrin.gif but as you said , pay more price, but low end model such as Dell  7577 also got TB 3  rclxub.gif  sweat.gif
Well, I never once mentioned the Onyx until you brought in in here so yeah, it doesn't have TB3, and I bought it nonetheless lol.

Just goes to show that cheap or expensive, some folks just don't need it bro, and have other priorities other then TB3.

If you (or anybody else) need TB3, why are you looking at the Onyx? I rather not have TB3 then have a chassis that is made from paper (okay, to be fair, very thin metal) and that's my personal choice.

It's about priorities bro. Never did I say the Onyx is BETTERER then the other two to begin with. Hell, I wasn't the one who started taking about it in the first place lol.

So yeah, back to topic. TS have enough info to intro to him about the Onyx edi lol.

Oh, and the hot air, no, its not bad even I pad next to the laptop, as the right vent only gets warm most of the time, helps keep my hands defrosted in AC rooms lol.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 29 2018, 05:39 PM
TSXPS
post Apr 29 2018, 07:50 PM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 29 2018, 04:59 PM)
MSI has "proper" local support as they have an actual local presence here... although I can say that while their after service is definitely better than Asus, it's not up to Dell levels.
Dell support, and its the expensive premium support, is not like what it used to be. Open ticket not resolved went unanswered after a few messages as they could not "manage" their outsourced side. And Dell in recent years been outsourcing a lot of operations, including the sale of spare parts, with a corresponding drop in service.

The current Alienware 17 been reported having plenty of issues too. Wished that had Dell was what it was previously, this upgrade would be a lot less complicated by just going Dell.

Eiraku
post Apr 29 2018, 08:54 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(XPS @ Apr 29 2018, 07:50 PM)
Dell support, and its the expensive premium support, is not like what it used to be. Open ticket not resolved went unanswered after a few messages as they could not "manage" their outsourced side.  And Dell in recent years been outsourcing a lot of operations, including the sale of spare parts, with a corresponding drop in service.

The current Alienware 17 been reported having plenty of issues too.  Wished that had Dell was what it was previously, this upgrade would be a lot less complicated by just going Dell.
Ouch. But unfortunately, as bad as they've gone I still do think they're better then the rest, as far as warranty is concerned... and as long as you're loaded enough to splurge for On-Site, especially with CompleteCover.

And if you think Dell's degradation is bad, try getting support from the rest of the pack. They're all equally worse, except maybe HP.

But yeah, Alienwares aren't as bulletproof as they used to be too. It would have been a no brainer for me to go to the Alien 15 or 13 myself but yeah, as you say things hasn't been perfect in the Alien camp either.

As for the GS/Aero, between the two (and if you're good at taking care of your stuff) I'd say take the GS to be honest. I've heard too many scare stories about the Aero (especially from the owners of the prev V7): Keyboard chatter, shitty fans dying after 6 months, unbelievable screen bleed, shit thermals.

At least with the GS65, the thin skin (and possible slight thermal issues - should be solvable with proper repasting and undervolting) is all you have to deal with. While I have had issues with MSI service previously, it's really more in terms of wait-time (for parts and stuff) then anything else, and it's nowhere near the horrors of Asus.

Finally, there's also my Illegear Onyx of course (the ONLY other "bezel-less" horse in this race), but as can be seen from the "banter" previously, while the Onyx is cheaper, runs cooler (50c-ish max at full load), packs a full 2.5 inch slot (which the GS65 lacks) and has tougher build feel to it then the GS65, it:

1) Lacks TB3
2) Isn't entirely metal (though its damn stiff nonetheless)
3) Only comes with a 1060 max
4) Has no 144hz screen option yet
5) Has a smaller battery (for now)
6) Is slightly less sharp looks-wise (yes I have to admit, the GS65 looks absolutely boss)

So yeah, that's probably that. Looks like a long list but my priorities are different so I ended up getting an Onyx regardless.

But for you, it's your call. Strictly between the GS/Aero though, I'd say the GS wins, easily.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 29 2018, 09:10 PM
shirogawawa
post Apr 29 2018, 09:29 PM

Laptop enthusiast
2,383 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 29 2018, 08:54 PM)
Ouch. But unfortunately, as bad as they've gone I still do think they're better then the rest, as far as warranty is concerned... and as long as you're loaded enough to splurge for On-Site, especially with CompleteCover.

And if you think Dell's degradation is bad, try getting support from the rest of the pack. They're all equally worse, except maybe HP.

But yeah, Alienwares aren't as bulletproof as they used to be too. It would have been a no brainer for me to go to the Alien 15 or 13 myself but yeah, as you say things hasn't been perfect in the Alien camp either.

As for the GS/Aero, between the two (and if you're good at taking care of your stuff) I'd say take the GS to be honest. I've heard too many scare stories about the Aero (especially from the owners of the prev V7): Keyboard chatter, shitty fans dying after 6 months, unbelievable screen bleed, shit thermals.

At least with the GS65, the thin skin (and possible slight thermal issues - should be solvable with proper repasting and undervolting) is all you have to deal with. While I have had issues with MSI service previously, it's really more in terms of wait-time (for parts and stuff) then anything else, and it's nowhere near the horrors of Asus.

Finally, there's also my Illegear Onyx of course (the ONLY other "bezel-less" horse in this race), but as can be seen from the "banter" previously, while the Onyx is cheaper, runs cooler (50c-ish max at full load), packs a full 2.5 inch slot (which the GS65 lacks) and has tougher build feel to it then the GS65, it:

1) Lacks TB3
2) Isn't entirely metal (though its damn stiff nonetheless)
3) Only comes with a 1060 max
4) Has no 144hz screen option yet
5) Has a smaller battery (for now)
6) Is slightly less sharp looks-wise (yes I have to admit, the GS65 looks absolutely boss)

So yeah, that's probably that. Looks like a long list but my priorities are different so I ended up getting an Onyx regardless.

But for you, it's your call. Strictly between the GS/Aero though, I'd say the GS wins, easily.
Some webpage reviewer said gs 65 has excellent thermal management, some other said its warm at certain spot, how ar+? Bias ? Unbiased ++?

Eiraku
post Apr 29 2018, 09:33 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(shirogawawa @ Apr 29 2018, 09:29 PM)
Some webpage reviewer said gs 65 has excellent thermal management, some other said its warm at certain spot, how ar+? Bias ? Unbiased  ++?
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/th....815216/page-20

Go read. I'm just repeating the findings of other USERS.

You don't have a GS65 either rite. Those people in there DO.

And damn it I just recommended the damn laptop to the guy. I didn't say the GS65 has shit thermals did I? Just "issues" that can be solved.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 29 2018, 09:36 PM
shirogawawa
post Apr 29 2018, 09:36 PM

Laptop enthusiast
2,383 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 29 2018, 09:33 PM)
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/th....815216/page-20

Go read. I'm just repeating the findings of other USERS.

You don't have a GS65 either rite.
I don't own it, that's why I said clearly different webpage reviewer mentioned different

U refer more webpage ma, as I told u, not only one
ZM Fong
post Apr 29 2018, 10:16 PM

Laptop advisor
8,240 posts

Because they didn't really test the thermals properly like NBC does
TSXPS
post Apr 29 2018, 11:12 PM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(Eiraku @ Apr 29 2018, 08:54 PM)

Expensive premium support on site which had the problem. Tried to buy some upgrades and because it had the top line support, you can't get it direct from Dell parts. Had to get the request logged through support and that was where the problems started as parts, being outsourced now, the breakdown in communications between Dell and their parts outsourcing company. Had to go through Dell for upgrades as not to break the couple of years warranty.

Heard HP does decent support just their gaming line is mediocre (on models sold in Malaysia).

Hence the search. Appreciate the feedback in this discussion. Very helpful indeed and highlights a lot of good points all round.
Eiraku
post Apr 29 2018, 11:27 PM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

QUOTE(XPS @ Apr 29 2018, 11:12 PM)
Expensive premium support on site which had the problem.  Tried to buy some upgrades and because it had the top line support, you can't get it direct from Dell parts.  Had to get the request logged through support and that was where the problems started as parts, being outsourced now, the breakdown in communications between Dell and their parts outsourcing company.  Had to go through Dell for upgrades as not to break the couple of years warranty.

Heard HP does decent support just their gaming line is mediocre (on models sold in Malaysia).

Hence the search.  Appreciate the feedback in this discussion.  Very helpful indeed and highlights a lot of good points all round.
Holy, parts supply have been outsourced too? I haven't heard. Must be a very bad year at Dell to have to do that when their primary assembly plant is right here in Penang (or maybe they've moved I dunno lol).

Sorry about all the noise but yeah, if we can help we try. It would be a pretty sad forum otherwise, rite?

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 29 2018, 11:28 PM
shirogawawa
post Apr 30 2018, 01:01 AM

Laptop enthusiast
2,383 posts

Expensive premium support on site which had the problem.  Tried to buy some upgrades and because it had the top line support, you can't get it direct from Dell parts.  Had to get the request logged through support and that was where the problems started as parts, being outsourced now, the breakdown in communications between Dell and their parts outsourcing company.  Had to go through Dell for upgrades as not to break the couple of years warranty.

Hence the search.  Appreciate the feedback in this discussion.  Very helpful indeed and highlights a lot of good points all round.
myway1985 can help you, he knows more about Dell matter then brows.gif

This post has been edited by shirogawawa: Apr 30 2018, 01:01 AM
Eiraku
post Apr 30 2018, 02:15 AM

Geeking since 1985!
7,037 posts

To the person baiting me and THEN reporting me, go get a life please. You're already on my ignore list so I have no idea what you're saying anyway.

To the TS, again, have fun choosing.

This post has been edited by Eiraku: Apr 30 2018, 02:15 AM
myway1985
post Apr 30 2018, 05:09 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,471 posts

normally external upgrade like ssd n ram dell allows u to buy outside n wont void their onsite warranty ma... unless things like display panel n finger print la.. tat u hv to buy during ordering..

hp commercial support is as good as dell.. their consumer support is still noob.. even less effective than recent lenovo (they expended the support team)
TSXPS
post Apr 30 2018, 11:03 AM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(myway1985 @ Apr 30 2018, 05:09 AM)
normally external upgrade like ssd n  ram dell allows u to buy outside n wont void their onsite warranty ma... unless things like display panel n finger print la.. tat u hv to buy during ordering..

hp commercial support is as good as dell.. their consumer support is still noob.. even less effective than recent lenovo (they expended the support team)
Spare battery, power brick that sort. Third party can be an issue as heard Dell notebooks are particularly sensitive about these things. Lesson here is order these as part of the order rather than after getting the machine.

@Eiraku
Agreed. This is a great forum with good posts. Wont have it any other way biggrin.gif
Rebeccachong
post May 14 2018, 09:42 AM

Getting Started
71 posts

I tried MSi GS65 at their shop and it's thermal is good.
RICADO86
post May 14 2018, 01:55 PM

29 posts

QUOTE(XPS @ Apr 29 2018, 12:57 AM)
Can get feedback  on MSI GS15 and Aero 15x.  Also share hardware reliability and how good and professional their service support.

Not looking at ASUS from the many feedback here on support.  Trying to move away from Alienware as their support is not what it used to be.  Dell outsource so many things (repairs, spare parts) that its getting unpleasant, unless locally Dell is still better than the other vendors?

Thanks.
If im not recall, Aero don't have service center in malaysia right now. No matter how to chasing ot complain. Hard to communicant. confused.gif
HillTop
post May 14 2018, 02:15 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

i never heard Aero 15x this before i think will got warranty issue in malaysia better go for MSI..
shirogawawa
post May 14 2018, 08:22 PM

Laptop enthusiast
2,383 posts

QUOTE(HillTop @ May 14 2018, 02:15 PM)
i never heard Aero 15x this before i think will got warranty issue in malaysia better go for MSI..
I like the MSI GS65 design rclxms.gif
amoura
post May 14 2018, 11:30 PM

Getting Started
120 posts

Here is the MSI GS65 review and comparison between both laptop.
flee93
post May 15 2018, 11:53 AM

Getting Started
79 posts

There is an alternative - ILLEGEAR ONYX

https://www.illegear.com/laptops/onyx/

shirogawawa
post May 15 2018, 02:03 PM

Laptop enthusiast
2,383 posts

QUOTE(flee93 @ May 15 2018, 11:53 AM)
There is an alternative - ILLEGEAR ONYX