Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Laptop Freezes Randomly

views

TSBig_Dream
post Apr 27 2018, 12:18 AM, updated 6y ago

Getting Started
82 posts

My laptop recently freezes randomly regardless of what I'm doing. Watching films, playing game, or just browsing the internet, etc. I tried clicking the mouse, pressing the keyboard, but it wouldn't respond. But the weird thing is that if I close and reopen the lid, the laptop would go back to normal again. So guys, any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Below are the details of my laptop.

Model: Acer Aspire E 14 (E5-474G-50UR)

Processor: Intel Core i5-6200U 2.3 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 920M

RAM: 4GB DDR3L

Storage: 1000 GB HDD

Thanks in advance smile.gif
WebWalker
post Apr 27 2018, 06:00 AM

Computer Geek
All Stars
12,851 posts

Download HWmonitor to read your system CPU temperature :-

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
yoyu
post Apr 27 2018, 08:59 AM

On my way
527 posts

Big_Dream
try to update latest driver
esp display driver..
Xaser_3
post Apr 27 2018, 11:23 AM

Because I Fly, I envy no man on earth...
All Stars
10,456 posts

If all else fails, it is time for a format. This time monitor the programs that you install one by one, to discover the culprit which might be causing the problem.
TSBig_Dream
post Apr 27 2018, 02:08 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

QUOTE(WebWalker @ Apr 27 2018, 06:00 AM)
Download HWmonitor to read your system CPU temperature :-

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
You mean it's probably due to the CPU's high temperature?

QUOTE(yoyu @ Apr 27 2018, 08:59 AM)
Big_Dream
try to update latest driver
esp display driver..
My drivers are all in their latest version

QUOTE(Xaser_3 @ Apr 27 2018, 11:23 AM)
If all else fails, it is time for a format. This time monitor the programs that you install one by one, to discover the culprit which might be causing the problem.
How do I know which one is the real cause by formatting? Will it show some sort of a signal?
ihavenoidea
post Apr 27 2018, 03:18 PM

Regular
1,274 posts

Win10 right? If you already fully updated it.
Try go to power option, use the power plan high performance. See if that help
Xaser_3
post Apr 27 2018, 03:38 PM

Because I Fly, I envy no man on earth...
All Stars
10,456 posts

QUOTE(Big_Dream @ Apr 27 2018, 02:08 PM)
You mean it's probably due to the CPU's high temperature?
My drivers are all in their latest version
How do I know which one is the real cause by formatting? Will it show some sort of a signal?
It won't show any signal but by installing the programs one by one after the format, you are certain when the issue occurs after installing a particular program.
yoyu
post Apr 27 2018, 04:31 PM

On my way
527 posts

if i were u i will try to off screen saver and mute / uninstall antivirus to test
chocobo7779
post Apr 27 2018, 07:25 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(Big_Dream @ Apr 27 2018, 12:18 AM)
My laptop recently freezes randomly regardless of what I'm doing. Watching films, playing game, or just browsing the internet, etc. I tried clicking the mouse, pressing the keyboard, but it wouldn't respond. But the weird thing is that if I close and reopen the lid, the laptop would go back to normal again. So guys, any suggestions as to what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance  smile.gif
You might want a memory (RAM) check and HDD test as well. icon_idea.gif

Click 'Start', then type (without quotes) 'Windows Memory Diagnostic'. Click on the option in the Start Menu, and select Restart Now. Windows will reboot and perform a RAM test. The test must be passed without failure, otherwise the RAM is considered faulty and requires replacement.

Download CrystalDiskInfo to check your drive status. If it's displaying 'Caution' in the health status - that means the drive is failing and requires a HDD replacement. icon_idea.gif

Also, check for memory leaks in the task manager - try to find any unusual use of RAM (some programs especially device drivers are known to cause this). You might want to remove any third party antivirus software and use Windows Defender instead. icon_idea.gif

This post has been edited by chocobo7779: Apr 27 2018, 07:28 PM
chocobo7779
post Apr 27 2018, 07:27 PM

Power is nothing without control
All Stars
14,368 posts

QUOTE(Xaser_3 @ Apr 27 2018, 11:23 AM)
The rule of thumb here is whenever I buy a new prebuilt PC/laptop - the first thing I do is to get the latest Windows ISO from the Media Creation Tool, and then create an installation media to do a complete re-installation. This is great as it will remove all bloatware and sometimes malicious software (such as eDellRoot/Superfish from Dell/Lenovo machines). It frees up drive space too as I can remove the recovery partition (which takes up a lot of space) icon_idea.gif

This post has been edited by chocobo7779: Apr 27 2018, 07:28 PM
horns
post Apr 28 2018, 02:33 AM

\m/
3,036 posts

.. you should monitor your task manager for applications that take up a lot of cpu/memory resources also (especially background processes)
zimou13
post Apr 28 2018, 08:08 PM

8 posts

Lately my laptop has been randomly freezing. The monitor is still running but the cursor won't move. The touchpad and mouse don't work even though mouse lights are still turned on. Also my keyboard lights are still on but ctrl alt del or any other keys won't work. The fans are still working and the harddisk lights are still on. Just the screen frozen and unresponsive. I wait a few minutes but it won't resolve on its own (also the system time won't change) and I have to hold down the power button to do a hard reset and its back to normal. It does this randomly, sometimes when I close a program, or sometimes when I alt tab between programs or sometimes just when I'm browsing the web. It will happen at least 2-3 times a day. I formatted it about a month ago. I use Kaspersky so I doubt its a virus. Also I clean regularly with Ccleaner. Fan temperatures show about 50 degrees, and about 70 degrees when I'm gaming, but I don't think its overheating. I ran Memtest64 and Orthos, and I had no problems with my RAM. My drivers are all up to date. Here are my specs:
ShowBox VidMate Mobdro
Asus N56VJ Laptop
Windows 8.1
64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 6 GB (5.89 usable)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M

This post has been edited by zimou13: May 7 2018, 05:33 PM
omg7788
post Apr 29 2018, 07:50 PM

Kampung Style Information Technology
431 posts

QUOTE(zimou13 @ Apr 28 2018, 08:08 PM)
Lately my laptop has been randomly freezing. The monitor is still running but the cursor won't move. The touchpad and mouse don't work even though mouse lights are still turned on. Also my keyboard lights are still on but ctrl alt del or any other keys won't work. The fans are still working and the harddisk lights are still on. Just the screen frozen and unresponsive. I wait a few minutes but it won't resolve on its own (also the system time won't change) and I have to hold down the power button to do a hard reset and its back to normal. It does this randomly, sometimes when I close a program, or sometimes when I alt tab between programs or sometimes just when I'm browsing the web. It will happen at least 2-3 times a day. I formatted it about a month ago. I use Kaspersky so I doubt its a virus. Also I clean regularly with Ccleaner. Fan temperatures show about 50 degrees, and about 70 degrees when I'm gaming, but I don't think its overheating. I ran Memtest64 and Orthos, and I had no problems with my RAM. My drivers are all up to date. Here are my specs:

Asus N56VJ Laptop
Windows 8.1
64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 6 GB (5.89 usable)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M
What is your storage hardware? Harddisk or SSD ?
omg7788
post Apr 29 2018, 07:53 PM

Kampung Style Information Technology
431 posts

QUOTE(Big_Dream @ Apr 27 2018, 12:18 AM)

Thanks in advance  smile.gif
Well just change to SSD most likely your problem will be solve. Harddisk nowadays is the bottleneck of laptop system.
TSBig_Dream
post Apr 29 2018, 11:04 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

I see, thanks for your suggestions guys. Any other suggestions are welcomed to be commented. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Big_Dream: Apr 29 2018, 11:04 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0157sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:43 PM