Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

STPM vs Matriks

views

TSWaffler
post Apr 24 2018, 08:45 PM, updated 6y ago

31 posts

I just finished SPM with pretty good results (straight A's- yay!). I am interested in pursuing computer science.
Recently, I just received offer from matriks but I'm still doubtful because matriks will lock me into local public universities and I'm not sure it would be the university I want. The benefits are that its easier to score and get into IPTA according to many people.

On the flip side, STPM gives me a pretty wide choice of universities (local and international) provided I get good results. It would be a dream to study overseas with little costs but will it just be a dream? According to statistics, good STPM scorers are rare and bad results will really pull you down.

I guess STPM feels like the riskier but more ambitious choice while matriks is the easier option. Tough decision. Am I missing something? Any advice?
Thanks smile.gif
roy595
post Apr 24 2018, 09:02 PM

38 posts

Same dilemma here.

Also, I'd be able to do STPM from the comfort of home inthe same school I've been going to for the past 5 years, while when it comes to Matriks, I'll have to travel far to a place I've never been before (in my case, Perlis).

This post has been edited by roy595: Apr 25 2018, 06:46 AM
nexona88
post Apr 24 2018, 11:20 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,799 posts

personally I would pick matriks.. not easy to get offer especially non bumi...

STPM. meh.. almost everyone can get in... but to get 4.00, good luck with that... somehow surely u would screw up somewhere... so ended get 3.5 or like that only..
IAmLejen
post Apr 26 2018, 03:46 PM

Casual
352 posts

Always opt for matriks if you can. Matriks give you a higher chance to enter better local unis like UM, USM, UTM etc (of course, you must score 4.00 as a non bumi in order to get the course you want). And matriks takes shorter time (1 year compared to STPM's 1.5 years plus another half a year to wait for results + UPU enrollment. Leaving your comfort zone (i.e home) is a phase of growing up. Dont be afraid to pursue what you want wink.gif
xenonarc99
post Apr 28 2018, 10:04 PM

Getting Started
144 posts

Try to make up your mind whether you really want to study locally. Once, you take matriks, your path leads you to local unis.If you have an overseas dream, perhaps you'd like to take a twinning/ credit transfer programme, STPM would be better.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0113sec    0.52    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:43 PM