Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Movies The AVENGERS: Movie Series Thread, Next: Avengers: Infinity War 25/4/2018

views

domcobb
post Oct 19 2011, 09:49 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

QUOTE(Human Nature @ Oct 12 2011, 01:42 AM)
thor attacking capt  hmm.gif
Could be one of those 'Avengers, get to know each other' moments in the movie.
domcobb
post Mar 16 2012, 09:57 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

I hope the movie has something interesting to offer now that all the trailers has pretty much revealed what's going to happen. Captain America should always be upfront in the line up as he's the only one that looks like a leader and is one.

This post has been edited by domcobb: Mar 16 2012, 10:07 PM
domcobb
post Apr 28 2012, 01:17 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

Mixed review for such hyped-up movie? Totally expected! As before, I am still not convinced about this movie. Heck, I even declined a friend’s invitation for free screening today.

This post has been edited by domcobb: Apr 28 2012, 01:18 PM
domcobb
post Apr 28 2012, 03:21 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

QUOTE(Jutawan @ Apr 28 2012, 03:14 PM)
Free screening also don't want to go aaa.... oppsss... is it Bersih 3.0 today?
Since the interest is not there, free screening = waste of time. smile.gif

domcobb
post May 20 2012, 09:17 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

Where do I begin?

Loki is both lame and stupid. His introduction was fine but it's one without menace. You can't feel it. There's nothing intimidating about him. Not one bit. His talk about ruling the planet was acceptable, in the beginning, but with each repetition that follows, despite it's variation, it was downright boring. He's a N.A.T.O. all the way. He should, in my opinion, just shut up and strike more.

He's an idiot too. Demigod or not, you would do something, anything when someone or something, twice the size, as menacing the Hulk, starts charging right at you. It'll be a fight-or-flight situation. You'll take stand to defend or you'll make a run for it. In short, you'll be prepared to strike or defend. Even Thor had to do so at a charging Hulk but not Loki ... He provided the best standing posture and a nice window for the Hulk to grab and toss him around like a toy. With IQ as such, the Chitauri(s) were doomed from the start!

In the words of Dr. Nekhorvich: "Every search for a hero must begin with something which every hero requires, a villain"

Unfortunately, if the villain is either lame, stupid or an idiot, in this case, all 3 of it, then, there's really nothing to look forward to, except for the fireworks, which is probably what 99% of the movie patrons were in for.

So, where or what is the 'Midas' touch of Joss Whedon, again? The dry humor? The straightforward plot? The predictable flow?

Tony Stark/Iron Man is not as interesting as he was in [Iron Man]. His signature traits, sarcasm and narcissism, seems to be toned down in this one compare to his 1st Movie, which was done brilliantly then, something which I like and miss a lot. In fact, at times, it wasn't done right in this movie that he was quite irritating. I speak for myself; some of his lines are awfully forced and dry while others were passable. Oh ... and Mark VII, yea, all of a sudden, there's a Mark VII and what is so special about it again? No one knows. Not to mention that by the time it flew out from the closet, you know EXACTLY what sound and scene to expect.

Black Widow provides the punches and kicks, Hawkeye does the aiming and shooting and Nick Fury is all “I dare you, council, I double-dare you!” without the profanity, of course!

Bruce Banner/Hulk is watchable. In fact, he's ... So, Bruce is able to control the Hulk because he's angry all the time and yet, he lost control of the same beast when he was .. err ... angry, in the hovercraft?

Steve Rogers/Captain America is serious all the time. Well, though he's the world's first superhero, there's really nothing much going for him in this movie except to give out the orders and directions. Other than that, he's just a soldier, blast from the past.

I don't have much to say about Thor, probably because his onscreen time didn't leave a lasting impact on me. He was in and out, that's it.

Besides [Thor] and [Iron Man 2], I think the other 3 superheros’ own movie(s), which includes Ang Lee's [Hulk] pawns this overrated one.

Was there any saving grace? Well, the fight scenes at the end, despite nothing new, did entertain me for as long as it last.

The Avenger is average, at best.

This post has been edited by domcobb: May 21 2012, 02:53 AM
domcobb
post May 22 2012, 07:19 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

QUOTE(r2t2 @ May 21 2012, 04:47 AM)
Sir, as The philosopher Joker once said, "Why so serious?"
This is way too much analysis for a summer popcorn movie.
I myself prefer the dark gritty superheroes of Nolan's Batman, but The Avengers and the Marvel's fun superheroes movies that preceded this, met my expectation, was hyped too much maybe but still nice for me.

Some points I'd like to counter though; Loki is a lame villain, I'll agree but the moviemakers want to stay loyal to at least few plots of the comic book origin i.e. Loki was the 1st villain that caused the Avengers to assemble, and not Nick Fury (the co-founder of the Avengers, the Wasp and Ant-Man wasn't even mentioned). The puny god scene is clearly meant to illicit laughter from the mainstream audience, and it works whether you like it or not, coz the movie isn't made for niche elitist audience.

The Mark VII new suit background story was told in the iOS/Android app.  The Nick Fury's Big Week comic (8 issues) kinda tell the prologue of the Avengers.  In this modern multimedia world, a big studio movie isn't standalone by itself any longer, there'll be other media / spin-offs to complement the story or tell a part that the movie maker thinks is too time consuming to be included in the main movie.

Though I would like to discuss a movie I care about more deeply with frens, I think The Avengers isn't one of them. I watched it, I like it, I feel it's above average, I'll forget about it soon when other greater movie comes out e.g. (finger crossed) TDKR.
Ya, Loki isn't the most powerful villain to face a group of superheroes; truthfully, I didn't read the origin comic; how did Loki fare in the comic .... anyway, looking forward to The Avengers 2 with Thanos & the Infinity Gauntlet story arc.
Likewise, if I may direct that question back at you, “Why so serious?” about my take on this movie?

It is interesting, no doubt, how, in your own words, ‘… the movie isn’t made for niche elitist audience’ and yet, in the very next line that follows, you mentioned of how the background story of Mark VII was told in the iOS/Android app, a rather niche method, if I may say so and you, having read about it, understood what is special, if there is any in the first place, about the mentioned suit that was featured in this movie. Honestly, how many of us are aware of such story in the 1st place? Chances are until one stumbles upon or be told of it, one wouldn’t even know of its existence, let alone owning a compatible device that can access it.

By the way, thanks shai_razi for posting that video up. smile.gif

QUOTE(BeastX @ May 22 2012, 06:21 PM)
Agree to disagree?... There are always arguments to counter your P.O.V.

No. 4 BO movie of all time... and soon to be No.3 after Avatar & Titanic says something does it... While Avatar has Visuals... Titanic has a love story (crazy teenage girls).... Avengers has well written/developed Script/Story (& Hulk)
Of course there will always be arguments to counter my opinion; just as the saying goes, ‘one man’s meat is another man’s poison’. In fact, it was never my intention to have everyone to agree to my view on this movie as I always believe that there is no one movie out there that can make everyone happy, and that includes The Dark Knight, given how some forumers are actively comparing these 2 movies, side by side. I have come across individuals who hated the The Dark Knight and I’m not surprise by their choice, given their perspective. smile.gif

Personally, where a movie stands in BO doesn’t reflect how good that movie is.

domcobb
post May 22 2012, 09:34 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Yes, I do think that Tom, as an actor, delivered a rather good performance as compared to the rest of the cast and his display of multiple expressions was neatly done throughout. Indeed, he is a schemer but the character was just not manipulative enough, in my opinion.

This post has been edited by domcobb: May 23 2012, 01:23 AM
domcobb
post Feb 4 2019, 04:40 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

domcobb
post Jul 2 2019, 08:26 PM

Getting Started
199 posts

domcobb
post Sep 1 2019, 08:06 AM

Getting Started
199 posts

In case you missed out or forgotten, the Celestials were shown in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1

Go to 0.34

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0609sec    0.26    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:01 AM