Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicClosed TopicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Migrating OS from an SSD to HDD

Helldana
post Apr 16 2018, 04:56 AM, updated 5 months ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

I'm actually planning on reusing my SSD in my current laptop to a desktop I'm planning on building.

So my SSD is a Samsung Evo 850 M.2 but I'm not sure what my HDD is, it came along with the laptop I currently have. When I first got my SSD, I used the Samsung Data Migration software to migrate the OS to the SSD which worked flawlessly.

Now my question is, is there a way to reverse this? Tried using the Data Migration software again but to no avail.

Currently my HDD has 418GB of free space out of the 919GB it has, while my SSD has only 29GB free space of the 231GB it has. I'd love to maintain the files in the HDD if possible, unless I'm needed to actually erase everything in the HDD to work this out then I guess I'll have to get an external HDD to save them first.

Is there a way for me to clone the SSD and put it into the HDD instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
FUNNICKZ
post Apr 16 2018, 06:05 AM

Samsung migration software only works with Samsung product 3rd parties SSD or HDD totally can't be used

You can try arconis I not sure free to use or have to paid. Previously i have use that particular software to backup my office data

This post has been edited by FUNNICKZ: Apr 16 2018, 06:05 AM
tsg_7
post Apr 16 2018, 06:49 AM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(FUNNICKZ @ Apr 16 2018, 06:05 AM)
Samsung migration software only works with Samsung product 3rd parties SSD or HDD totally can't be used

You can try arconis I not sure free to use or have to paid. Previously i have use that particular software to backup my office data
There is free version of arconis but function wise is limited. You may try the free version. Or you may download "free" from......... (you fill in the blank)
xswatch
post Apr 16 2018, 07:27 AM

Getting Started

acronis true image. sure can one
Mau
post Apr 16 2018, 08:10 AM

On my way

You may try Macrium Reflect free version. It worked when I was using it for transferring Windows from HDD to SSD. Should be the same way for SSD to HDD.
Helldana
post Apr 16 2018, 08:50 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(FUNNICKZ @ Apr 16 2018, 06:05 AM)

QUOTE(tsg_7 @ Apr 16 2018, 06:49 AM)
There is free version of arconis but function wise is limited. You may try the free version. Or you may download "free" from......... (you fill in the blank)
QUOTE(xswatch @ Apr 16 2018, 07:27 AM)
acronis true image. sure can one
QUOTE(Mau @ Apr 16 2018, 08:10 AM)
You may try Macrium Reflect free version. It worked when I was using it for transferring Windows from HDD to SSD. Should be the same way for SSD to HDD.
Will any of these software erase the HDD content? Or will they just place my SDD content into the HDD while maintaining the HDD's contents?
tsg_7
post Apr 16 2018, 09:41 AM

On my way

QUOTE(Helldana @ Apr 16 2018, 08:50 AM)
Will any of these software erase the HDD content? Or will they just place my SDD content into the HDD while maintaining the HDD's contents?
Just copy as image and the extract it in SSD and see how. Should be no problem. As far as i know, it wun erase the existing data. Btw, i had tried using the Samseng Magic when i mirror the Windows 10 from HDD to Samseng SSD.
BallSmasher
post Apr 16 2018, 09:45 AM

Casual

EaseUS Todo Backup

use it to clone ur SSD and put it into the HDD. it will exact same.
xswatch
post Apr 16 2018, 12:36 PM

Getting Started

acronis true image will create an identical 1:1 copy. so all ur files will still be intact. even windows will still stay activated, all other software will also stays the same. there is shrink / expand feature if u want to copying ur hard disk to bigger / smaller hard disk. been using acronis true image since 10 years ago to clone more than 3000+ laptop & PC. the only problem is if ur hard disk contains any VHD (virtual hard disk), thet VHD will have issue booting up. if just a normal hard disk with 2 or 3 OS should be no issue at all.
Mau
post Apr 16 2018, 08:35 PM

On my way

For Macrium Eflect Free version, nope... it won't erase the dsta from the existing HDD. It just copy the image of the HDD to SDD.
Doraku
post Apr 16 2018, 10:16 PM

Yuhuuu

Do Note that i dont know is this going to work but you can try it
Create full system image backup using windows backup & restore and create system repair disc,
then you change your ssd to hdd,and boot to recovery disc and choose restore option
do note you need to have storage that can store the system image like external hdd or flash drive with enough storage

This post has been edited by Doraku: Apr 16 2018, 10:23 PM

Bump TopicClosed TopicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0648sec    7.79    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th August 2018 - 03:19 PM