Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Dress Watch Thread, Dress watch, elegant luxury timepiece .

views

TSExodius
post May 1 2018, 10:09 AM

Getting Started
261 posts

QUOTE(DannyOP @ Apr 29 2018, 10:44 AM)
Yes nothing wrong with it, especially dress watch, 7in wrists and below good to wear 32-38in. Above 7in a 40mm will look like a 38, and 8in above 42in still can pass.

Example of my recent 'small' size dress watch on a small 7in wrist. For sports watch, field watch and divers I wear bigger watches, 44 is the biggest I can pull off. Anything bigger will look like I'm carrying a wall clock on my wrists.
whats the size of your dress watch if I may ask? 7inch is kinda average though even for Caucasian size from what I gather through intenrnational watch forums so I guess you're basically gifted in wearing various sizes of watch. on high end brand the smallest watch size I ever seen or tried on would be 38mm . couldn't find any smaller sad.gif
DannyOP
post May 1 2018, 11:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,219 posts

QUOTE(Exodius @ May 1 2018, 09:59 AM)
I don't think there's a set definition for it . IWC portugieser and other watches got mentioned a lot on other famous youtube watch channel as elegant dress watch (semi dress watch). as long as its classy enough with a minimalist design to fit into suits would do for the public.

On a side note, gentleman gazette is not really a reliable source, often a bit redundant and out of points (remember one of his guide is to wear long socks as its more mature and stylish/classy which is deemed as the epitome of old man socks nowadays in new trends, theres a reason why he's been in the game for so long yet had only accumulated a measly 200k subscriber compared to other similar channels. (just my opinion on that channel nothing intended) haha .

Nonetheless the link does provide a good read! thank you for your feedback though appreciate it. just for some reasons I don't really like that guy  rclxms.gif
Well not surprising, there are not many true gentlemen left are they?

There are also many more DW sold compared to Omega and Rolex, more doesn't mean better.

Guidelines are there just for guidelines, you may choose to follow or disregard them. Maybe you have a nicer way that suits yourself, doesn't mean it's wrong or right. Just don't end up like the Emeperor's clothes.
DannyOP
post May 1 2018, 11:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,219 posts

QUOTE(Exodius @ May 1 2018, 10:09 AM)
whats the size of your dress watch if I may ask? 7inch is kinda average though even for Caucasian size from what I gather through intenrnational watch forums so I guess you're basically gifted in wearing various sizes of watch. on high end brand the smallest watch size I ever seen or tried on would be 38mm . couldn't find any smaller sad.gif
From the Tudor pic that I posted what is the size that you guess? Does it look ok in your eyes?

I'm quite lucky that some of the popular YouTube channels like Urgen Gentry and Just One More Watch have small and same size wrists as mine, so I get a good idea how the watches look like everytime they wear one!

If you don't mind getting older models from most popular brands ie. Anything from Seiko, Grand Seiko, Omega, Rolex, Tudor, they used to come in sizes of 32-36 as norm for their dress watches. I'm surprised even Tag Heuer diving watch used to be only 36mm. Just make sure you get it authenticated if it's one of the more expensive brands.

Another illustration, a 38mm on my wrist, the Ball Engineer II.

This post has been edited by DannyOP: May 1 2018, 11:41 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
TSExodius
post May 2 2018, 12:09 AM

Getting Started
261 posts

QUOTE(DannyOP @ May 1 2018, 11:17 PM)
Well not surprising, there are not many true gentlemen left are they?

There are also many more DW sold compared to Omega and Rolex, more doesn't mean better.

Guidelines are there just for guidelines, you may choose to follow or disregard them. Maybe you have a nicer way that suits yourself, doesn't mean it's wrong or right. Just don't end up like the Emeperor's clothes.
Yea true , I just wondered why I don’t like him so much maybe because he is not your usual typical good looking / fit / slim male to pull of as our fantasy expectation of a classy gentleman

In the end it’s still what look good on you that matters. These guideline are indeed helpful after all.
TSExodius
post May 2 2018, 12:11 AM

Getting Started
261 posts

QUOTE(DannyOP @ May 1 2018, 11:18 PM)
From the Tudor pic that I posted what is the size that you guess? Does it look ok in your eyes?

I'm quite lucky that some of the popular YouTube channels like Urgen Gentry and Just One More Watch have small and same size wrists as mine, so I get a good idea how the watches look like everytime they wear one!

If you don't mind getting older models from most popular brands ie. Anything from Seiko, Grand Seiko, Omega, Rolex, Tudor, they used to come in sizes of 32-36 as norm for their dress watches. I'm surprised even Tag Heuer diving watch used to be only 36mm. Just make sure you get it authenticated if it's one of the more expensive brands.

Another illustration, a 38mm on my wrist, the Ball Engineer II.
The previous one is it 36-39 my ? In between ? It look really nice compare to this watch that you just posted though. A bit too bulky haha

Thanks for the channel suggestion ! Haven’t heard of just one more watch prior to this
DannyOP
post May 2 2018, 01:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,219 posts

QUOTE(Exodius @ May 2 2018, 12:11 AM)
The previous one is it 36-39 my ? In between ? It look really nice compare to this watch that you just posted though. A bit too bulky haha

Thanks for the channel suggestion !  Haven’t heard of just one more watch prior to this
Sorry typo it is Urban Gentry.. and I like Just One More Watch because the guy reviews a lot of affordable watches that you seldom will know, he's also has a lot of Irish humour.

You may be surprised, the previous Tudor watch is only 32mm without crown and 34mm with crown. So if you have wrist size 7in or below, you can try out these sizes.

This post has been edited by DannyOP: May 2 2018, 01:49 AM
TSExodius
post May 2 2018, 07:59 AM

Getting Started
261 posts

QUOTE(DannyOP @ May 2 2018, 01:49 AM)
Sorry typo it is Urban Gentry.. and I like Just One More Watch because the guy reviews a lot of affordable watches that you seldom will know, he's also has a lot of Irish humour.

You may be surprised, the previous Tudor watch is only 32mm without crown and 34mm with crown. So if you have wrist size 7in or below, you can try out these sizes.
Yep watch a lot of historic video as well in the past all watches are small just that the trend CAuse watchmaker to increase its diameter!
kenji1903
post May 2 2018, 08:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,784 posts

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/rolex-datejust-review
gmail
post May 2 2018, 09:10 AM

Trolling Level
2,593 posts

Not much chance for me to wear a dress watch but this is the one and only in my collection.

user posted image

ProxMatoR
post May 18 2018, 03:47 PM

Regular
1,516 posts

ming watch. brows.gif brows.gif brows.gif

user posted image

Ming 17.03 GMT

user posted image
user posted image

MING 19.01

brows.gif brows.gif brows.gif