Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Need advice on my workout/diet

views

TSencikhawk
post Apr 14 2018, 12:05 AM, updated 6y ago

14 posts

Hello, this is my first thread and I'm not sure if this was the right section to start. sweat.gif
Okay.. So I'm 19yo Male with 79kg weight and 178cm of height. I started to working out since the past 2 weeks and I need some advice from you guys.

I gained about 25kg of weight after I graduated from secondary school so I think that I need to work out before I start my college life and now I working out to loss weight at the same time I also want to gain muscle.

Since the past 2 weeks I already loss 4kg as the result of working out but I have one problem that I feel I'm getting weak day by day. Is this because I'm tired or It because of the way I eat? I go to the gym six day a week (Monday - Saturday) and I'm not doing so much. Just 3 type of exercise each day with 3 set (6-10 reps). I just spent 2 hours at the gym. I start workout around 7:30PM and finish on 9:30PM.

Here my meal plan also what I eat in a week, (I don't eat all that I listed at the same day, I listed what I eat in a week)

For Breakfast: cereal+milk, toasted bread+jam, 2-3 boiled egg, fruit
For Lunch: rice, chicken breast, steam fish, vegetables, soup
For Dinner/Pre-workout: rice, vegetable, cereal+milk, fruit
Post-workout: Milk, bread, banana

Another problem that I feel my left hand is weakest than my right hand. I can lift with my right hand but with my left hand I can't. Should I train my left hand first? or should I carry a light weight for both hand and focus on the right position/form first?

Also should I take any supplement? vitamin pills something like that?

I'm thinking to start taking a protein shake but I don't know which type/brand of protein shake suitable for my age also my goals (loss weight & gain muscle). Need some recommendation. Thanks

steadystream
post Apr 14 2018, 12:23 AM

Getting Started
115 posts

i use optimum nutrition whey gold standard
DeAct
post Apr 14 2018, 08:12 AM

Getting Started
281 posts

QUOTE(encikhawk @ Apr 14 2018, 12:05 AM)
Hello, this is my first thread and I'm not sure if this was the right section to start.  sweat.gif
Okay.. So I'm 19yo Male with 79kg weight and 178cm of height. I started to working out since the past 2 weeks and I need some advice from you guys.

I gained about 25kg of weight after I graduated from secondary school so I think that I need to work out before I start my college life and now I working out to loss weight at the same time I also want to gain muscle.

Since the past 2 weeks I already loss 4kg as the result of working out but I have one problem that I feel I'm getting weak day by day. Is this because I'm tired or It because of the way I eat? I go to the gym six day a week (Monday - Saturday) and I'm not doing so much. Just 3 type of exercise each day with 3 set (6-10 reps). I just spent 2 hours at the gym. I start workout around 7:30PM and finish on 9:30PM.

Here my meal plan also what I eat in a week, (I don't eat all that I listed at the same day, I listed what I eat in a week)

Another problem that I feel my left hand is weakest than my right hand. I can lift with my right hand but with my left hand I can't. Should I train my left hand first? or should I carry a light weight for both hand and focus on the right position/form first?

I'm thinking to start taking a protein shake but I don't know which type/brand of protein shake suitable for my age also my goals (loss weight & gain muscle). Need some recommendation. Thanks
Hi there,

Congratulations on your progress so far. 4kg sounds in 2 weeks sounds about good. What I gathered so far points that losing between 0.4-0.8% of body weight per week is a good aim.

Judging by the rate of your weight decline, you seem to know what you’re doing with total calories. I can’t comment about macros. One thing I’d say though is that you can get better results if you spread your proteins more evenly. It’s something to consider but don’t fuss over it.

My experience is that I take longer to recover when I’m on a caloric deficit especially when my protein intake is low. I don’t know whether they have leucine as a supplement by itself but I’ve read that it does help with recovery. You can get leucine from meat btw. If you have trouble with meeting your protein requirements, supplements such as whey (also has leucine in it) can benefit you. I don’t speak for everyone here but I do believe most will agree that supplementation is only means to an end. You have to find something that is sustainable in the long run for you.

Losing fats and gaining muscle at the same time is possible. However, in the long run, results from aiming for either one outweight results from aiming for both.

Form>load. That being said, you do have to train with sufficient intensity. I’ll leave the training aspect to other forumers but I think it’ll help if you provide more details on your training.

All the best man.

This post has been edited by DeAct: Apr 16 2018, 07:04 PM
internaldisputes
post Apr 15 2018, 05:08 PM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

Hey, welcome to the forum! First thing first, can you make a breakdown of what exactly the exercises that you do at the gym? How long do you rest between sets? 2-hours for 9 sets of exercises seem awfully long. I think you can use your time more effectively by doing a wider variety of exercises and some cardio.
unclemike
post Apr 16 2018, 11:15 AM

On my way
538 posts

Hello, this is my first thread and I'm not sure if this was the right section to start.  sweat.gif

Since you are new to this it is possible to do both lose weight and gain muscle. After a while, you will need to choose either 1. Do a little research on 'newbie muslce gains'

Try to do some research on Macros and Calorie Counting. Also, do some research on some proven workout programs and pick one. Follow them religiously until you see progress and tweak them later once you fully understand what you need to do to achieve certain goals.

Study and practice the correct form, light weights for both hands for any exercise  

Depends on your overall food intake.

Figure out your macros and overall food intake before adding supplement to the mix

Hope this helps and Welcome to the forum! Oh, read the stickies as well. Will help you a lot.

This post has been edited by unclemike: Apr 16 2018, 11:16 AM
alien9
post Apr 16 2018, 01:41 PM

These stars mean nothing
3,030 posts

Straightaway start with supplement eh? Read the sticky first
helven
post Apr 16 2018, 02:44 PM

Doko Online
919 posts

2 hours a day, 6 days a week seems to be a problem you feel weaker and weaker, do you get enough rest? I mean sleep.
Try 3 days a week instead then slowly adding more volume, volume can be a factor to your result, only when you body can cope with the intensity
lingleeyen
post Apr 16 2018, 03:23 PM

Regular
1,376 posts

LLY: Post a picture so that we can see your current status and so that you can see where you start after you get some progress

LLY: 4kg in 2 weeks is too much if you ask me. You eat too less, you have too less work capacity. Work on that work capacity increase. 6 days a week is not too much, given that you only have 9 sets a day, and I probably assume that those are not compounds. 2 hours in the gym? Don't be like me. Do it faster after you have increased your work capacity.

LLY: What is the total calories you take a day in average?

LLY: There will always be a weaker side. Start focusing on moving that weak side and exert more conscious force on that side. Train with the same weight the right side can do. On top of that, do unilateral work. Google unilateral workout. Focus on form.

LLY: You do not need supplement if you do not know what you are eating, how much you are eating and what are your macros. That protein powder will not make you grow any if your protein intake is only 20g a day.

LLY: Don't waste money unless you know how much you are eating. Don't be like me.

Since I just fucked my boss this morning, I am in a good mood, so instead of ask you go read stikies, I reply a bit.
TSencikhawk
post Apr 16 2018, 10:53 PM

14 posts

QUOTE(steadystream @ Apr 14 2018, 12:23 AM)
i use optimum nutrition whey gold standard
I was going to buy that one too rclxms.gif rclxms.gif

QUOTE(alien9 @ Apr 16 2018, 01:41 PM)
Straightaway start with supplement eh? Read the sticky first
I just bought ON gold standard whey & ON Gold standard pre-workout from lazada lol..
Should I just keep it first and wait until the right time to take?
axtray
post Apr 16 2018, 11:11 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

Meal wise, seems fine.

Though for a newbie to start 6 times a week workout is kinda overkill. You're not letting the body enough time to recover. Any beginner strength program will suggest at least 3-4 times per week with the focus being building a good strength base before deciding to further pursue hypertrophy or strength.

I'd suggest you give yourself 2 to 3 months of basic strength training first.

And it's normal for 1 side of the body to be stronger than the other. Focus more on dumbbell workouts to overcome this
TSencikhawk
post Apr 16 2018, 11:58 PM

14 posts

QUOTE(DeAct @ Apr 14 2018, 08:12 AM)
Hi there,

Congratulations on your progress so far. 4kg sounds in 2 weeks sounds about good. What I gathered so far points that losing between 0.4-0.8% of body weight per week is a good aim.

Judging by the rate of your weight decline, you seem to know what you’re doing with total calories. I can’t comment about macros. One thing I’d say though is that you can get better results if you spread your proteins more evenly. It’s something to consider but don’t fuss over it.

My experience is that I take longer to recover when I’m on a caloric deficit especially when my protein intake is low. I don’t know whether they have leucine as a supplement by itself but I’ve read that it does help with recovery. You can get leucine from meat btw. If you have trouble with meeting your protein requirements, supplements such as whey (also has leucine in it) can benefit you. I don’t speak for everyone here but I do believe most will agree that supplementation is only means to an end. You have to find something that is sustainable in the long run for you.

Losing fats and gaining muscle at the same time is possible. However, in the long run, results from aiming for either one outweight results from aiming for both.

Form>load. That being said, you do have to train with sufficient intensity. I’ll leave the training aspect to other forumers but I think it’ll help if you provide more details on your training.

All the best man.
Thanks for replies, mate. I think I'm not losing 4kg just in 2 weeks but I still remember that the last time I weight myself It around 83kg last month... So maybe working out was helping abit thumbup.gif
I think that my protein intake is low.. I just started counting my calorie intake using MyFitnessPal. Here the result of today https://prnt.sc/j5zymm . I actually not really understand about this but I think that it NOT okay. confused.gif

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Apr 15 2018, 05:08 PM)
Hey, welcome to the forum! First thing first, can you make a breakdown of what exactly the exercises that you do at the gym? How long do you rest between sets? 2-hours for 9 sets of exercises seem awfully long. I think you can use your time more effectively by doing a wider variety of exercises and some cardio.
Thanks for your warm welcome. rclxms.gif I will listed my exercise for a week. I usually rest 3-5 mins like that. Also all exercise I do in 3 sets.

Monday: Chest (Barbell bench press, Incline barbell press, Decline barbell press)
Warm up: 1-2 sets 0KG
Weight: 2.5-7.5 KG x2
Reps: 6-8

Tuesday: Leg *4exercise
Barbell squat
Warm up: 1-2 sets 0KG
Weight: 5-7.5KG x2

Leg press
Weight: 20-25KG x2
Reps: 8-12

Leg extension
Weight: 10KG x2
Reps: 8-10

Seated calf raise
Weight: 10KG x2

Wednesday: Back
Wide-grip lat pulldown
Weight:15-25KG

Seated Row
Weight: 25KG

Kneeling One Arm Row *Dumbbell
Weight: 5-7.5KG

Thursday: Shoulder (Seated shoulder press, Side lateral raise, Front raise, Bent-Over Rear Deltoid Raise) Dumbbell *4exercise

Friday: Biceps (Bar Curl, Biceps Curl, Hammer Curl) & Triceps (Pushdown 15-25KG / Reps: 6-10)

Saturday: Cardio , Abs
Treadmill: 35-60min
Reverse crunch: 6-8reps
Knee-In crunch: 6-8reps

Sunday: REST

*I usually do cardio (treadmill) If I feel like I don't sweat a lot but tired after do all my exercise at the last 10-20min.

p/s: I just google all the exercise name lol. I just do without knowing the name. Just follow my friend order at the gym. laugh.gif

QUOTE(helven @ Apr 16 2018, 02:44 PM)
2 hours a day, 6 days a week seems to be a problem you feel weaker and weaker, do you get enough rest? I mean sleep.
Try 3 days a week instead then slowly adding more volume, volume can be a factor to your result, only when you body can cope with the intensity
I sleep about 8-10 hours at night. Should I sleep more hours? laugh.gif laugh.gif I'm jobless btw sweat.gif
I think that I don't do so much exercise. If I take more rest day I can't get the result. mega_shok.gif

TSencikhawk
post Apr 17 2018, 12:37 AM

14 posts

QUOTE(unclemike @ Apr 16 2018, 11:15 AM)
Hope this helps and Welcome to the forum! Oh, read the stickies as well. Will help you a lot.
Thanks for your replies and warm welcome, About Macros and Calorie counting I'm not really know how to count it but I just do some counting using MyFitnessPal apps and here the example result from yesterday https://prnt.sc/j5zymm . Is that okay?
Also about my overall food intake I think that I not enough even for myself. Now I only eat just a small bowl of Rice with chicken breast, fish or vegetables. Everytime I feel like starving/craving/hungry I will just drink water to make my stomach feel full.

QUOTE(lingleeyen @ Apr 16 2018, 03:23 PM)
Since I just fucked my boss this morning, I am in a good mood, so instead of ask you go read stikies, I reply a bit.
I spend 2 hours at the gym with 3 type of exercise 3 sets each. rest between 4-5min each set. I listed my exercise for a week on previous reply.
My calorie intake for a day is under 1500. I just start counting using apps. But my friend recommend me to take about 3000 calorie for a day if I want to look bigger laugh.gif
For macros here is an example from yesterday result https://prnt.sc/j614hw .

I just bought ON GS protein shake & pre-workout from lazada btw should I take it for now or just keep it until a few months.
QUOTE(axtray @ Apr 16 2018, 11:11 PM)
Meal wise, seems fine.

Though for a newbie to start 6 times a week workout is kinda overkill. You're not letting the body enough time to recover. Any beginner strength program will suggest at least 3-4 times per week with the focus being building a good strength base before deciding to further pursue hypertrophy or strength.

I'd suggest you give yourself 2 to 3 months of basic strength training first.

And it's normal for 1 side of the body to be stronger than the other. Focus more on dumbbell workouts to overcome this
I just do 3-4 exercise with 3 set a day in 2 hour with 4-5 min of rest. I think I don't do so much of workout like the others in the gym.. I rest on the weekend.

This post has been edited by encikhawk: Apr 17 2018, 12:49 AM
overfloe
post Apr 17 2018, 08:46 AM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
2,058 posts

QUOTE(encikhawk @ Apr 17 2018, 01:37 AM)
Thanks for your replies and warm welcome, About Macros and Calorie counting I'm not really know how to count it but I just do some counting using MyFitnessPal apps and here the example result from yesterday https://prnt.sc/j5zymm . Is that okay?
Also about my overall food intake I think that I not enough even for myself. Now I only eat just a small bowl of Rice with chicken breast, fish or vegetables. Everytime I feel like starving/craving/hungry I will just drink water to make my stomach feel full.
I spend 2 hours at the gym with 3 type of exercise 3 sets each. rest between 4-5min each set. I listed my exercise for a week on previous reply.
My calorie intake for a day is under 1500. I just start counting using apps. But my friend recommend me to take about 3000 calorie for a day if I want to look bigger  laugh.gif
This is your problem. You are eating way below your BMR. Based on your age & profile, your BMR should be around 1700 to 1800 calories.
If you eat below your Basal Metabolic Rate (energy in which you need to survive), you can lose weight (and muscle) even without exercise.

What you need to do is to identify your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - the amount of energy you need to maintain your current weight.

Find a good TDEE calculator and determine whether you want to lose or gain weight. Eat less than your TDEE (but not below or near BMR) to lose fat or eat slightly more than your TDEE to gain mass.

Btw, your daily training duration is too long for a simple set of exercises. Eat properly, rest between 1.30 to 2 minutes between sets and you can do more exercises in 2 hrs or maintain but cut your gym time in just 1hr++.
helven
post Apr 18 2018, 12:36 PM

Doko Online
919 posts

Today, I am looking at my post count, I want to get more stars, so I do it for you.
user posted image

Macro sent to email
user posted image

Calculator link
https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

If you don't know how much to eat, what's the point of counting your food calorie?

This post has been edited by helven: Apr 18 2018, 12:38 PM
axtray
post Apr 18 2018, 05:26 PM

Enthusiast
707 posts

QUOTE(encikhawk @ Apr 17 2018, 12:37 AM)
My calorie intake for a day is under 1500. I just start counting using apps. But my friend recommend me to take about 3000 calorie for a day if I want to look bigger  laugh.gif

I just bought ON GS protein shake & pre-workout from lazada btw should I take it for now or just keep it until a few months.
I just do 3-4 exercise with 3 set a day in 2 hour with 4-5 min of rest. I think I don't do so much of workout like the others in the gym.. I rest on the weekend.
3-4 exercises, 4-5 minutes rest time (presumably busy looking at phone in between sets), 2 hours in total?

coupled with 6 times a week workout.

looking at your program, its kinda all over the place? You actually dedicated 1 day for biceps, which is a complete waste of time when you can use the day to rest instead.

You mentioned that you are eating under 1500 cals. Small wonders here why you're getting weaker.

seriously go find and follow beginner strength program. a quick google will show a few. Stronglift, Starting Strength, Phrak's Greyskul LP, Candito etc.

For the diet, I'd suggest to go on maintenance or slightly below TDEE (-300 cals). that will help to ensure that you do not lose strength and possibly getting noob gains.

This post has been edited by axtray: Apr 18 2018, 05:29 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0163sec    0.53    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:08 PM