Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Issue with Nordvpn and Asus RT-AC86u, connected but unable to resolve ip of

views

TSskywardsword
post Apr 13 2018, 09:47 AM, updated 6y ago

On my way
636 posts

connected but unable to resolve ip of websites.

I am using the firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20467 stock

I am using openvpn to connect to nordvpn.

I set up the new nordvpn dns in the wan of my router.

I tried various things like complete factory reset and redid all the necessary setting and still have the same issue.

The nordvpn dns works fine when I am not connected to the nordvpn server.

Anyone else is experiencing this same issue? Is it nordvpn cheating its customer or is Asus firmware bugged.
XPS
post Apr 13 2018, 10:35 AM

Casual
322 posts

Update new firmware?
Version 3.0.0.4.384.20648
TSskywardsword
post Apr 13 2018, 10:37 AM

On my way
636 posts

QUOTE(XPS @ Apr 13 2018, 10:35 AM)
Update new firmware?
Version 3.0.0.4.384.20648
I just updated after I posted the threat. Still having the same issue. I also submitted feedback to asus.
KKTECHHUB
post Apr 13 2018, 08:17 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

QUOTE(skywardsword @ Apr 13 2018, 10:37 AM)
I just updated after I posted the threat. Still having the same issue. I also submitted feedback to asus.
If you can use your Nordvpn on other devices, then for sure is not Nordvpn problem, agree?

Nordvpn also provide complete ttutorial on website:
https://nordvpn.com/ja/tutorials/asuswrt/openvpn/

If still have problem, you can live chat with technical assistance on official website.
XPS
post Apr 13 2018, 09:07 PM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(skywardsword @ Apr 13 2018, 10:37 AM)
Post back on the new firmware issues you logged. Would not be surprised if ASUS (again) released a firmware with bugs. Did you try with the latest preview Merlin firmware and confirm this is fixed there?

Are your system logs showing unusual entries? To eliminate possible hardware issues.
TSskywardsword
post Apr 14 2018, 07:11 AM

On my way
636 posts

Will check out both. Thanks.
XPS
post Apr 14 2018, 01:47 PM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(skywardsword @ Apr 14 2018, 07:11 AM)
Will check out both. Thanks.
Whilst you are at it, check if you can reach websites using the actual IP address instead of the host/domain name. There are some discussions around ASUS routers and VPN where the DNS is buggy.
TSskywardsword
post Apr 15 2018, 09:09 PM

On my way
636 posts

QUOTE(XPS @ Apr 14 2018, 01:47 PM)
Whilst you are at it, check if you can reach websites using the actual IP address instead of the host/domain name.  There are some discussions around ASUS routers and VPN where the DNS is buggy.
I think asus being bugged is very likely. Since without VPN connected to nordvpn, the nord dns server resolved the addresses fine. Once the vpn is connected, then the resolution of addresses become **non existent**

**they added IPSEC, vpn not so long ago, I wonder if it broke something?

I dont have much technical skill, to find out the actual IP addresses of various website... even www.google.com I also dont know. So I shall keep the VPN offline for the time being.

I try to report as much as possible to the Asus feedback email. If anyone else have similar setup, please do report to asus tech feedback too.

router_feedback@asus.com

faizyunus
post Apr 16 2018, 11:27 AM

Casual
399 posts

QUOTE(skywardsword @ Apr 15 2018, 09:09 PM)
I think asus being bugged is very likely. Since without VPN connected to nordvpn, the nord dns server resolved the addresses fine. Once the vpn is connected, then the resolution of addresses become **non existent**

**they added IPSEC, vpn not so long ago, I wonder if it broke something?

I dont have much technical skill, to find out the actual IP addresses of various website... even www.google.com I also dont know. So I shall keep the VPN offline for the time being.

I try to report as much as possible to the Asus feedback email. If anyone else have similar setup, please do report to asus tech feedback too.
router_feedback@asus.com
Using OpenVPN right?
TSskywardsword
post Apr 16 2018, 12:29 PM

On my way
636 posts

QUOTE(faizyunus @ Apr 16 2018, 11:27 AM)
Using OpenVPN right?
Yup, I may have to flash Merlin. I reverted to stock when I noted Merlin not going to support aimed.
XPS
post Apr 16 2018, 07:51 PM

Casual
322 posts

QUOTE(skywardsword @ Apr 16 2018, 12:29 PM)
Yup, I may have to flash Merlin. I reverted to stock when I noted Merlin not going to support aimed.
The DNS server could be broken when your VPN is active.
TSskywardsword
post Apr 17 2018, 07:22 AM

On my way
636 posts

QUOTE(XPS @ Apr 16 2018, 07:51 PM)
The DNS server could be broken when your VPN is active.
I flashed. Merlin and it worked.

However, nordvpn malaysia server did not work....

I tried nordvpn net f l i x server and it works too. abeit slow.
faizyunus
post Apr 17 2018, 07:45 AM

Casual
399 posts

QUOTE(skywardsword @ Apr 17 2018, 07:22 AM)
I flashed. Merlin and it worked.

However, nordvpn malaysia server did not work....
I tried nordvpn net f l i x server and it works too. abeit slow.
Well that is kinda of expected actually when using VPN. For me, changing DNS servers, applying static routing and DNS Filtering(DNSmasq on Asus-Merlin) is enough to make US Netflix work on all my devices. Able to sustain 1080p streaming.
TSskywardsword
post Apr 17 2018, 03:32 PM

On my way
636 posts

QUOTE(faizyunus @ Apr 17 2018, 07:45 AM)
Well that is kinda of expected actually when using VPN. For me, changing DNS servers, applying static routing and DNS Filtering(DNSmasq on Asus-Merlin) is enough to make US Netflix work on all my devices. Able to sustain 1080p streaming.
Cikgu , Sifu,

Can you screenshot or provide some simple instructions to apply static route(I already setup static IP for my mibox3) and DNS filtering(dnsmasq on Asus Merlin).

I have other static IP for raspberry pi. Will do for Chromecast as well. Maybe should do for phones as well.

Big thanks!

This post has been edited by skywardsword: Apr 17 2018, 03:33 PM
faizyunus
post Apr 17 2018, 03:42 PM

Casual
399 posts

QUOTE(skywardsword @ Apr 17 2018, 03:32 PM)
Cikgu , Sifu,

Can you screenshot or provide some simple instructions to apply static route(I already setup static IP for my mibox3) and DNS filtering(dnsmasq on Asus Merlin).

I have other static IP for raspberry pi. Will do for Chromecast as well. Maybe should do for phones as well.

Big thanks!
This is for Static Routing:
Note that 23.246.0.0 and 198.38.96.0 are optional so no need to add them unless you are getting proxy errors.
Attached Image

This is for DNSMasq:
Set the DNS setting in LAN -> DHCP Server or can define the custom DNS in the box below and select it from drop down menu.
Attached Image

If you are using OpenVPN, please ensure setting is set to either Strict/Exclusive:
Also ensure Redirect Internet Traffic is set accordingly.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by faizyunus: Apr 17 2018, 04:11 PM
KKTECHHUB
post Apr 17 2018, 10:56 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

One thing to highlight, if you are using Nordvpn shared account with someone else, when more than one user is connected to same server and same protocol, then only one user can connect.

TSskywardsword
post Apr 18 2018, 11:24 AM

On my way
636 posts

QUOTE(faizyunus @ Apr 17 2018, 03:42 PM)
This is for Static Routing:
Note that 23.246.0.0 and 198.38.96.0 are optional so no need to add them unless you are getting proxy errors.
Attached Image

This is for DNSMasq:
Set the DNS setting in LAN -> DHCP Server or can define the custom DNS in the box below and select it from drop down menu.
Attached Image

If you are using OpenVPN, please ensure setting is set to either Strict/Exclusive:
Also ensure Redirect Internet Traffic is set accordingly.
Attached Image
Thanks, you gave me the idea to use the policy to redirect internet using rules, so only my mibox3 goes thru the tunnel to USA server.(unfortunately I still am a complete newbie, I created the rule, but only some Netflix movie works....Geez like a rocket science to get things work.) I used another tunnel to Sg for p2p I think it works.

QUOTE(KKTECHHUB @ Apr 17 2018, 10:56 PM)
One thing to highlight, if you are using Nordvpn  shared account with someone else, when more than one user is connected to same server and same protocol, then only one user can connect.
Understood, I have 5 instance for the license , I know I have to use different server or udp TCP for each instance.

KKTECHHUB
post Apr 18 2018, 01:58 PM

Getting Started
133 posts

If you are able to connect to Nordvpn but slow, just live chat with Nordvpn at official website and they will give u one list of IP that support fast surfing.

If you are not too familiar with flash firmware and setting up firewall rules for traffic redirection. Get a separate openwrt router and setup another wireless/wired network for vpn access. So, for normal or vpn surfing, just connect to different wireless network. It cost 100-150 only.

If still prefer to use asus router, may be can flash another firmware such as tomato shibby. I like the interface and firewall rules script that have full customisation such as forced dns and selective device for vpn only. Cannot remember the code and u need to find in web.

Another thing to let u know the dns setting in router is not important after connect to Nordvpn. What ever dns setting u set, they will forced it and change to Nordvpn dns to prevent man in the middle attack.

The dns u set is only to resolve the Nordvpn server name only while initial connection to Nordvpn server. after that, all domain will resolve by Nordvpn dns server. Not the dns u set in ur pc. If do dnsleaktest, will show Nordvpn dns server no matter what is the dns setting u set in ur device. Unless dns is leaked.

I am typing in a rush, can pm me if not understand or need info.
faizyunus
post Apr 18 2018, 05:52 PM

Casual
399 posts

QUOTE(skywardsword @ Apr 18 2018, 11:24 AM)
Thanks, you gave me the idea to use the policy to redirect internet using rules, so only my mibox3 goes thru the tunnel to USA server.(unfortunately I still am a complete newbie, I created the rule, but only some Netflix movie works....Geez like a rocket science to get things work.) I used another tunnel to Sg for p2p I think it works.
Glad to hear that it works. It is expected that sometimes TV Shows/Movies may not load when using the Netflix app(It depends on your VPN provider on how they handle Netflix traffic). Sometimes a few reattempts is needed to get the video to eventually load especially on a VPN. Rest assured the configuration is indeed correct.

This post has been edited by faizyunus: Apr 18 2018, 05:59 PM
graceinc
post Feb 13 2020, 06:35 PM

Getting Started
63 posts

QUOTE(skywardsword @ Apr 13 2018, 09:47 AM)
connected but unable to resolve ip of websites.

I am using the firmware 3.0.0.4.384_20467 stock

I am using openvpn to connect to nordvpn.

I set up the new nordvpn dns in the wan of my router.

I tried various things like complete factory reset and redid all the necessary setting and still have the same issue.

The nordvpn dns works fine when I am not connected to the nordvpn server.

Anyone else is experiencing this same issue? Is it nordvpn cheating its customer or is Asus firmware bugged.
Check the guide on NordVPN on Router and setup your Nord account on the mentioned steps. Hope this might be helpful for you.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0187sec    0.65    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:33 PM