Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Quitting job after 4 months, Should include in the resume?

views

TSiammasivers
post Apr 10 2018, 09:08 PM, updated 6y ago

Casual
353 posts

Should I include the 4 months job experience in my resume? Previously I haven't officially graduated and haven't got my completion letter, so the only firm that accepted me was a small audit firm, so I just went for the small firm. Now I've officially completed my studies and applying for Big 4 and banks. But if I put the 4 months experience in my resume I afraid it'll leave negative impression (job hopper). Since I'll be applying for entry level position anyway I don't think it matters. What do you think?
one punch man
post Apr 10 2018, 09:14 PM

Getting Started
234 posts

can...all the experience matter.
and no company believe in loyalty anyway, especially in audit firm with high turnover rate.
bunny65
post Apr 10 2018, 09:44 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(iammasivers @ Apr 10 2018, 09:08 PM)
Should I include the 4 months job experience in my resume? Previously I haven't officially graduated and haven't got my completion letter, so the only firm that accepted me was a small audit firm, so I just went for the small firm. Now I've officially completed my studies and applying for Big 4 and banks. But if I put the 4 months experience in my resume I afraid it'll leave negative impression (job hopper). Since I'll be applying for entry level position anyway I don't think it matters. What do you think?
If the experience is relevant yes you should put it in, your experience (regardless of length) in an audit firm may give you an edge against other competitors who have zero experience. Perhaps you should focus more on convincing the Big 4 or banks about why you would rather work for them instead during your future interviews/cover letter writing. If at all asked why your experience was only 4 months, prepare a well thought out response to explain your circumstances. As long as you provide a valid reason (i.e. not because you hated the boss/hated your coworkers/hated the commute/etc.), you most probably won't be leaving any bad impressions.
olman
post Apr 10 2018, 10:14 PM

Regular
1,982 posts

QUOTE(bunny65 @ Apr 10 2018, 09:44 PM)
If the experience is relevant yes you should put it in, your experience (regardless of length) in an audit firm may give you an edge against other competitors who have zero experience. Perhaps you should focus more on convincing the Big 4 or banks about why you would rather work for them instead during your future interviews/cover letter writing. If at all asked why your experience was only 4 months, prepare a well thought out response to explain your circumstances. As long as you provide a valid reason (i.e. not because you hated the boss/hated your coworkers/hated the commute/etc.), you most probably won't be leaving any bad impressions.
your last line is the hardest part confused.gif
nexona88
post Apr 10 2018, 10:49 PM

The Royal Club Member
All Stars
41,799 posts

should included.. have some advantage compare with others freshies

just that. u needed to explain them clearly...
bunny65
post Apr 11 2018, 05:45 AM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(olman @ Apr 10 2018, 10:14 PM)
your last line is the hardest part  :confused:
Haha why so?

I reckon if the true reason you're leaving a company is because you simply couldn't stand your company/co-workers/boss, then you should make up another excuse/reasoning that doesn't involve negativity about your current company nor point towards your own lack of competence. There are many resources online that you can look up to help shape your response in a more positive light. Having a tailored response is good, but it won't work well if you sound fake/insincere, so practising it over and over again should help as well smile.gif
sweet_pez
post Apr 11 2018, 09:41 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

It's up to you. You can be honest and claim that you have worked in a small audit firm before this to gain experience. However due to x reason (the real reason you quit after 4 months), you have decided to leave. Optionally, you can also omit it out from your resume. But just know that the industry is small, and there may be a chance you'll meet ex-colleagues or ex-boss(es) from your 1st job. I usually encourage job seekers to be honest because covering up a tiny hole as it may seem small, will soon erode and become bigger.
otai_g
post Apr 12 2018, 08:22 AM

On my way
622 posts

better dont put so many company, later new company will assume u ask job hopping and not worth to hired.

SUSNew Klang
post Apr 12 2018, 08:29 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

You should include the 4 months experience as you have limited overall job experience.

You can omit this experience after you have worked for a few years if you wish.
kiumo
post Apr 12 2018, 10:12 AM

Getting Started
Validating
114 posts

I think you should include regardless of what.

When you are going for huge MNCs (consulting firms, Shell, IBM, etc) they would do a detailed background check on you (for 5-10 years) which includes a check on all your historical employment history.

Also, when you are going for any Working Visa overseas, they would typically require you to provide your employment records.

All the fact findings found by the companies & immigration would be cross referenced back to your CV. Better not hide it!
bunny65
post Apr 12 2018, 03:42 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(Melloyello @ Apr 12 2018, 10:16 AM)
When you are a fresh grad with less the 2 years experience, nothing really counts to the hiring manager to the Big 4. Most importantly state honestly and have a good interview.
Any reason why you might say so?

I've recently completed the final stage interviews with PwC and the hiring manager said my profile stood out because I had part time work experience on top of my studies. The single branch received more than 3,500 applications within a two week period, and only 150 made it to the final stage. So yes, any work experience would count favourably towards your application when you are a freshie.
bunny65
post Apr 12 2018, 04:34 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(Melloyello @ Apr 12 2018, 04:04 PM)
Good for you, I wish you all the best.
When you have 3500 applications, stood out basically meant being filtered.
I am sure my statement came a little stronger then intended, but my point is you still need to excel in the interview to be hired.
With or without a part time job, a well written cv can help to open the doors to being selected for interview.

Additionally, if your part time job is relevant by all means add it in.
For TS seems uncomfortable to mention the irrelevant job. You can just omit it and address it when asked about it.
Thank you. However, I think you misinterpreted TS's original post.

TS mentioned two things:

1. He/she wants to apply for the Big4 and banks;
2. He/she has a few months' experience in a small audit firm.

Hence, his/her experience in the audit firm was definitely relevant and it would be in his/her favour to include it unless he/she has had bad blood/experiences with the smaller firm.

Quoting this from the PwC careers page:
We know you’ll have different levels of experience depending on where you are in your career. So if you’re a graduate or school leaver, just starting out in your career, or perhaps you’re changing career direction, we’ll be looking for you to provide examples of how you've demonstrated The PwC Professional attributes through your academic studies, extra-curricular activities, hobbies, work experience, or any part-time or full-time jobs you may have held.

None of my part time experience was "relevant" for an auditing position. All they want to know is whether or not you are capable in handling a professional working life aligning with their core values.

By all means you are spot on about interview skills and ability to persuade companies to hire you regardless of experience. But since TS is aiming for companies that are highly competitive in nature when it comes to recruitment, he/she needs to get his/her foot through the door first with the application before the interview stages. Interviews (video or in person) will be done after screening, and that's when you'll really have to shine with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.

In fact, PwC did not ask for resumes, CVs, nor transcripts for my recruitment this year. The application form had a section for past/current work experience where you were asked for current employer, duration, and a brief job description. Even until the final interview stage, they never looked at my CV/Resume (they didn't have it anyway) and only focused on behavioural questions. The transcript was provided only in the final stage for verification purposes.

The above most probably applies to PwC only so I can't say the same for other companies. Sorry for misinterpreting your response.
bunny65
post Apr 13 2018, 07:00 AM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(Melloyello @ Apr 12 2018, 04:44 PM)
If only TS has put some effort like you.
Please do note HR vet the cv for hiring managers. Hiring managers arent probably the people who wrote the career page.
Please read again, and yes if you want to apply to the Big4 you need to read the career page because that's what the interview questions are going to be based upon. Please do not attempt to shift the focus of the discussion to who wrote the careers page and who didn't.

PwC did not ask for and did not look at CVs/Resumes this time round (fresh grad recruitment). They are phasing this out to make the process more inclusive and fair - no more transcripts or CVs or Resumes. So regardless of whether or not you have a nicely laid out and pretty CV/Resume, they will not look at it from beginning till end.

And I can assure you they want to know more about your work experience regardless of relevance and duration. Or are you telling me that the PwC recruitment team, HR personnel, director, and partner were wrong? My fellow interviewee worked at McDonald's before for just a couple of months, and the director was interested in how she could resolve conflict with her co-workers during her experience there. The question was the same for everybody who went to the final stage "Describe a situation when you managed to resolve a conflict between a co-worker and yourself." Of course if you had absolutely zero work experience you'd have to pick an incident from your degree, but that's besides the point.

So when you said "When you are a fresh grad with less the 2 years experience, nothing really counts to the hiring manager to the Big 4", this statement is simply untrue. The Auditing component of the work experience may not be of extreme importance since they will retrain you once you get the offer, but the fact that you have some sort of work experience outside of your degree already gives you an edge against everyone else who didn't.

Simply put, if HR has two profiles/resumes: one with work experience and another without (assuming everything else is the same), they would choose the former.

This post has been edited by bunny65: Apr 13 2018, 07:10 AM
Blofeld
post Apr 13 2018, 01:22 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,456 posts

I job hop frequently and some of my past job tenure are as short as 6 months. (including the big 4, MNCs, and various other companies)

So far in my experience, no interviewers have ever questioned me about my loyalty.

This post has been edited by Blofeld: Apr 13 2018, 01:24 PM
SUSNew Klang
post Apr 13 2018, 03:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

From a simple question that TS asked, this thread has turned into a self-bragging thread by other forummers.
bunny65
post Apr 20 2018, 12:50 PM

Casual
332 posts

QUOTE(New Klang @ Apr 13 2018, 03:59 PM)
From a simple question that TS asked, this thread has turned into a self-bragging thread by other forummers.
If you are referring to me, please have the courage to quote directly.

Why would I need to "brag" about myself in the first place? Does it help me to have complete strangers fawn over my achievements? Why not just open up my own thread talking about all my work experience, education, and offers in LYN instead if I wanted to brag? I don't see your point in being salty.

I merely brought up my experience with PwC to explain my point with better credibility. My reply was directed at somebody who misinterpreted TS's original predicament. Any experience is good experience, especially when TS is a "fresh" graduate with less than 1 year of work experience.

If all you can see is my "bragging" about myself instead of addressing the issue at hand, then perhaps you need to have a second look at yourself before all else.

Note to moderator: Please feel free to remove both of our posts as you see fit because at this point we are not contributing to TS's cause.
sweet_pez
post Apr 20 2018, 01:34 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

Calm down and no more of these OOT posts New Klang and bunny65.

I'll leave the posts as it is, but if more to come then I'll remove them. Continue with it and whoever baited or called for it, will get a warning or suspension. I think that's simple and easy to understand.

Thank you. And don't abuse the Report button.
SUSNew Klang
post Apr 20 2018, 04:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,998 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Apr 20 2018, 01:34 PM)
Calm down and no more of these OOT posts New Klang and bunny65.

I'll leave the posts as it is, but if more to come then I'll remove them. Continue with it and whoever baited or called for it, will get a warning or suspension. I think that's simple and easy to understand.

Thank you. And don't abuse the Report button.
Thank you and have a nice weekend. Sayonara.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0150sec    0.11    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:37 PM